hammerheel

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently doing a math project where I have to find 2 different examples of circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. I have to decided to limit myself to the things in my golf bag. So far, I have the driver head and a tee for parabolas; golf ball and dimples for circles; and I need one more example for hyperbola (already have water bottle) and one more for ellipse (already have driver face). I need your help in finding one more item for ellipse and hyperbola, but more importantly explaining why the items I found are each of these shapes. I have a general idea for most of them, but need a more technical explanation.

I'm currently doing a math project where I have to find 2 different examples of circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. I have to decided to limit myself to the things in my golf bag. So far, I have the driver head and a tee for parabolas; golf ball and dimples for circles; and I need one more example for hyperbola (already have water bottle) and one more for ellipse (already have driver face). I need your help in finding one more item for ellipse and hyperbola, but more importantly explaining why the items I found are each of these shapes. I have a general idea for most of them, but need a more technical explanation.

Does it have to be actual Objects? How about swing paths? Arcs and what not?

Too bad youre sticking with equipment. Square teeboxes and circle greens.

Golf balls?

Does it have to be actual Objects? How about swing paths? Arcs and what not?

Yes, it has to be actual objects. That limitation was put on by the teacher.

Too bad youre sticking with equipment. Square teeboxes and circle greens.

Golf balls?

Golf balls have a circular shape so they fly through the air true.

A hyperbola is the shape of an hour glass or the part in which you grip your water bottle. Of course, an ellipse is an elongated circle.

A hyperbola is the shape of an hour glass or the part in which you grip your water bottle. Of course, an ellipse is an elongated circle.

Who's got that super slo mo video of the ball being hit by a steel plate at 150 mph? That ball becomes all those shapes in less than a second.

How about the sole of your golf shoe?

After further evaluation, I've decided that my driver headcover will pass as a hyperbola. It's wide at the top, gets narrow in the middle, then wide at the bottom. One more ellipse left.

Not sure if you have either of these, but the handle of a Frogger brush has an ellipse on it, as does the face of an AGSI Rossa putter (many other putters with inserts have ellipse shaped inserts as well). Same with the tops of some putter grips (those that are not perfectly round).

Not sure if you have either of these, but the handle of a Frogger brush has an ellipse on it, as does the face of an AGSI Rossa putter (many other putters with inserts have ellipse shaped inserts as well). Same with the tops of some putter grips (those that are not perfectly round).

I have a Ghost putter. I'm hesitant to use it because I'm afraid it'd have the same explanation as the driver face. Thanks.

A golf green can be an ellipse.

Back