Golf GPS devices or phone Apps

I came in here expecting one thing and got a totally different one. I know when I am out on the course I need to whip out my phone to check the weather conditions around me.

As far as the legal/illegal aspects of this, wouldn't the Smart Phone rule only apply to R&A and USGA events (and, I assume, setting a handicap)? Golf leagues, club championships, etc., could allow them if they wanted to, couldn't they?

As far as Ice Jack thinking I was rude to him, I might agree if not for post #5 in this thread where you were attempting to prove your point. If you had gone straight to your post #8 and not posted #5, I never would have said what I said.

You can rebut what I said but then hopefully we can get back to the intent of the thread.

You guys are getting Tiger testy in this thread. lol. I just converted to Android and looking for a good GPS app. Is Golf Logix the best choice? How bad is the cell phone battery issue?

Thanks for the feedback all. As the new guy I didnt realize I would have started this....actually was worried I would get flamed for not searching first (although I did). But Smallville did provide some insight with which I agree about the front, middle and back yardage - I am not good enough yet to need exact measurements to the flag location, just an idea to save some time. Plus I forgot about the weatherproof feature. If anyone else has some thoughts keep em coming.

I use the swing by swing app. I like it a lot and is very accurate.

I use the caddie pro app for iPhone it was free and it works great. You can track all of your stats and handicap on it.

I lefty tapped that!

Whats the best golf GPS app for the I-Phone

Whats the best golf GPS app for the I-Phone

I was reading a thread on here that was talking about range finders and GPS units . I saw a lot of people were recommending using a golf GPS app on your smart phone. Well I looked them up and was inundated by all of the options available. I have downloaded one before and it was terrible. I was just looking to see if anyone has any recommendations from personal experience. Thanks in advance.

I use Swing By Swing golf (on android, but its available for iPhone too) its free for the simple version, or there are two paid for versions that give more advanced stats (puts club distances etc).

does it seem to be pretty accurate?

Edit - Maybe I was using it incorrectly but this is the one I had downloaded before and the yardages I was getting with the swing by swing app was off by more than 15 yards on average.

I use Golfshot GPS. The app itself is $30, which may seem like a lot, but you get a lot for the money. The GPS is accurate, reliable, and I haven't had any problems with it being slow or not loading. It has over 35,000 courses you can download or something like that. If you find a course that isn't on there, you can request they add it. Also, you can use it to keep your score (it has the digital version of the course's scorecard) and track and measure your shots, so you can find out far how far and accurately you hit it. When you finish and save your round, the app emails you your scorecard, and uploads it to the golfshots website, where you can track all of your stats from the round and compare it previous rounds. I highly recommend this app.

I use Golfshot GPS. The app itself is $30, which may seem like a lot, but you get a lot for the money. The GPS is accurate, reliable, and I haven't had any problems with it being slow or not loading. It has over 35,000 courses you can download or something like that. If you find a course that isn't on there, you can request they add it. Also, you can use it to keep your score (it has the digital version of the course's scorecard) and track and measure your shots, so you can find out far how far and accurately you hit it. When you finish and save your round, the app emails you your scorecard, and uploads it to the golfshots website, where you can track all of your stats from the round and compare it previous rounds. I highly recommend this app.

Thanks for the heads up!

+1. Love this app.

This...

Golfshot GPS all the way

I have tried golfshot, viewti, and golf logix, golf Trax and I think the best user interface and ease of use is golfshot.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ffxsxo

I use golf card pro with golf shot gps as backup. Occasionally there are courses golf card does not have gps data for and I don't have time to use the golf card mgr application to add my own gps coords so I use golf shot for those courses. Golf card pros gps has more features and I like the stats I can keep. But overall both apps are good.

Tappin in putts from iOS

Very happy with Golfshot. One time $30 is hard to beat. I've even used it playing in Ireland and Scotland.

I've been using Golfshot as well and really like it

I use OOB golf. It rules. Very accurate, and at $20 a year for a membership, it can't be beat.

I also love Golfshot. And that $30 is a one-time price, not an annual fee. Can't beat it. I've compared it to stand alone GPS units and it is usually within a yard or the same, even on an old 3GS - I can only imagine it being better on a 4S with a more accurate GPS system. Never had a course not be available, and they respond quickly to emails if there is a problem (for instance, my home course has two holes that run parallel to each other - #4 and #8 - and they had them flipped in the app - I emailed them and they fixed it right away). The stats are great, it is easy to use... love it.

I've used golfshot, now use SkyDroid.

I'm a big fan of Golfshot, definitely worth the $30.

I have used Golfshot GPS for the last season. Worked like a charm on every course I went to.
The only missing info was on my home club - they have been working on a par 5 which during reconstruction was a par 3. A quick mail to Golfshot with the new data and 24 hours later there was an update!
I have seen the new interface, but I haven't tried it yet. The old one was good and if they can improve it - even better.

At first it took some time to enter all statistics data but after a round or two it took no extra time. Good statistics information on the web page. Perhaps you could wish for more info, but that requires more input. I think they have found a good balance.

One nice thing is the last shot distance meter. After a good shot from tee just tap the hole number icon and the app measures the distance until you are where the ball stopped. One wish here: Save the distance info together with club selection for stats on the web. So I can show my friend I really hit 300 yards :)

+1. Love this app.

Fantastic App! Can combine it with Golfplan & Golfscape Apps if you want and you can check out your stats on your phone or online. If it doesn't have the course on, just e-mail them beforehand and they will help you out asap.

Back