Different putters for different green speeds

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anybody out there use different putters for slower vs faster greens?

It's not a unique practice, but I try not to over complicate things. I am staying with my cheater stick.

I know there are varying opinions on the Metal X, and personally I am not a fan, but I think this is exactly the idea behind it.

I contemplated doing this for The Morgan Cup as the greens in MB will be quicker than the greens i'm used to playing on here in Ireland. After I was fitted for my clubs by the Callaway rep we spoke about different face technology on putters and would it be worth my while using a softer face for the faster greens.

He said NO as it is harder for players to adjust to a new putter instead of adjusting to faster greens

I right now play the same putter on all greens. It is a Seemore M1. It does really great on faster greens, but I struggle with it on slower greens. I played a TM 770 at one time with the pure roll insert. It seemed to do better on slower greens, but over cooked it on fast greens.

I contemplated doing this for The Morgan Cup as the greens in MB will be quicker than the greens i'm used to playing on here in Ireland. After I was fitted for my clubs by the Callaway rep we spoke about different face technology on putters and would it be worth my while using a softer face for the faster greens.

He said NO as it is harder for players to adjust to a new putter instead of adjusting to faster greens

Thanks man. What putter did you go with? I am a skimmer.

I adjust just hit it harder or softer

I know this is the plan, but it seems to help to have a putter that is hotter off the face on slower greens. I think it would let somebody keep their tempo. Just a thought here.

Thanks man. What putter did you go with? I am a skimmer.

I currently game the Odyssey 2 Ball DFX 34inch, I'm hoping to go with the Metal X 2 Ball 34 inch if they are an option as it's the closest to my own

No way. If youre playing on fast greens, just play the putt a few feet short. If youre playing on slow greens, aim to hit it 5 feet past when comparing to normal. Youre not always faced with the same distance of putt, so dont change a putter to make the balll go different distances on that basis.

I know this is the plan, but it seems to help to have a putter that is hotter off the face on slower greens. I think it would let somebody keep their tempo. Just a thought here.

No way. If youre playing on fast greens, just play the putt a few feet short. If youre playing on slow greens, aim to hit it 5 feet past when comparing to normal. Youre not always faced with the same distance of putt, so dont change a putter to make the balll go different distances on that basis.

I will work on that. I have a bid on a 2-ball right now. I think I might try a mallet for a bit to see if that helps with speed control on different greens.

I think it's much harder to adjust to a green that rolls like it has a layer of syrup on it. Mostly b/c we just don't have it in us to hit a ball that hard with a putter sometimes.

To answer your question, no, I don't switch out putters for the conditions. I suspect that could be detrimental.

I think it's much harder to adjust to a green that rolls like it has a layer of syrup on it. Mostly b/c we just don't have it in us to hit a ball that hard with a putter sometimes.

To answer your question, no, I don't switch out putters for the conditions. I suspect that could be detrimental.

I like that.. layer of syrup.. I may use that for my next on course excuse haha!

I like the idea of not having one single putter to play out a season, but I don't know that I'd switch out solely based on which courses I am playing.. If one doesn't work, I'll switch and see if the other options suits me better in the conditions..

I think this is the biggest factor most of the time. It just seems like you knock the crap out of the ball, but it never can get there.

NO as it is harder for players to adjust to a new putter instead of adjusting to faster greens

I concur with this opinion.

Does anybody out there use different putters for slower vs faster greens?

I did at one time but found it better to just get to know one putter and adjust to green speed with it.

Not for me. If my putter feels good speed of the greens has no effect on what I use

Switching putters for green spead has been for years. I used to do it until I just learned the differences between grasses, grain and speeds. Now it one putter no matter where I may play

Adjusting to a different putter is not something you can do in a few minutes. I don't see much benefit to it myself.

I like to use a heavier putter for faster greens. Not sure if there is really a big difference, but it seems to work for me. Could me all mental though.

I've never changed putters because of green speeds. I only change putters when the one I'm using isn't working.

It seems like a good idea but it's really not. You're simply compensating for an inconvenience and not making yourself a better putter.

i have done this but i also rotate putters A LOT.... if im playing a private course ill sometimes grab a softer flatstick if i want to give it a whirl but i don't usually switch out just for that. i am going to try to stick with my current putter for the season to see if i can lower my putts per round.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to start doing this now. I used my belly putter today and the greens were very quick and I really struggled with speed. Leaving them well short, plowing them past. I couldn't get it down. I've noticed I don't struggle as much with speed when I use my short putter. I had three 3 putts on the back side today, all because of speed. I think I'm going to use my short putter on faster greens from now on. I may make a few less putts from 10+ feet, but it's worth it if I eliminate 3 putts I think.

Agreed. Learn how far you roll a shot with a certain strength swing on a reference green then adjust your aim distance based on how the course is playing. It's a lot easier to view it as "This putt would normally go 10 ft but I need to aim 3 ft shorter to accomodate the faster surface."

Back