How to get out of the sand

Because full swings in bunkers can easily lead to fat shots. Its hard to hit a hybrid fat in the sand thanks to a dull leading edge.
Interesting strategy. Why not just hit a full swing? I never found it to be that big of an issue if you hit the ball first. But I think I may try this to see how it works.

Because full swings in bunkers can easily lead to fat shots. Its hard to hit a hybrid fat in the sand thanks to a dull leading edge.

Good call. I like that thinking.

I rarely have a problem getting out of (or into, seemingly) the sand. A full, free swing, with the setup described in the previous messages is fine, and splashes me out nicely, usually landing on the green.

My problem is getting distance right from bunkers which aren't greenside ones... all my bunkers shots are played like splash shots, which only get me 10-15 ft...

I just use the method in Andy's video. I have to practice it though, mainly so I can swing with confidence. If I'm not confident in the shot I'll slow down and leave it in the sand.

that was me yesterday, 2 into the bunker and took 3 to get out...arrrgggghhh

Open up and widen your stance. Aim left of your target. Concentrate on a single grain of sand behind the ball. Your goal is to put that grain of sand where you want to land the ball.

Tap tap taparoo

Playing a very sandy course tomorrow. Hopefully the sand game hold up!

One shot I've not been able to figure out is the bunker shot from around 40 yards. I talked to our head pro and he recommended the same technique, but taking a PW or 9 iron. Anybody try that? At this point, I'm just trying to pick the ball, which is probably dumb.

I had posted this in the Burner 2.0 testing thread. Don't know if it helps.

One shot I've not been able to figure out is the bunker shot from around 40 yards. I talked to our head pro and he recommended the same technique, but taking a PW or 9 iron. Anybody try that? At this point, I'm just trying to pick the ball, which is probably dumb.

I hit the same shot I hit out of greenside bunkers only with as much as a 7 iron. Up to 100 yards or more. Open face, open stance, keep club low and slightly outside going back and hit hard, not too much sand on the longer shots or you won't get there.
Oh and one other thing, play it almost stiff legged, turn and turn from the shoulders with little or no leg action.

Well I just played rounds this weekend where on two occasions it took me 3 shots to get out of the sand, and on one of those holes the first two didn't get out, and then I hit the third one too clean and high over the bunker. As a matter of fact, I did that several times as well. The difference between my good rounds and bad ones anymore seems to me whether I went in the sand or not. I am, quite frankly, appallingly bad out of bunkers, and if I want to get my cap down to 10-ish like my goal is this year, I need to fix it so I can damage control my rounds where I'm missing greens. Anyone have this issue in the past and have success fixing it?

Well I just played rounds this weekend where on two occasions it took me 3 shots to get out of the sand, and on one of those holes the first two didn't get out, and then I hit the third one too clean and high over the bunker. As a matter of fact, I did that several times as well. The difference between my good rounds and bad ones anymore seems to me whether I went in the sand or not. I am, quite frankly, appallingly bad out of bunkers, and if I want to get my cap down to 10-ish like my goal is this year, I need to fix it so I can damage control my rounds where I'm missing greens. Anyone have this issue in the past and have success fixing it?

Once you learn the techniques associated with different lies in the sand, bunker shots should become one of the easiest parts of your game. The best advice I could give you is to find a pro at a course with a good practice facility and ask to take a bunker lesson. I would bet that in one hour, the pro could teach you all the skills you'll need for 95% of the bunker shots you'll ever face.

You'll still need to spend time practicing what you learn in that lesson, but you'll know what to work on.

As for quick and easy tips...

During practice bunker sessions, draw a line in the sand about 3 inches behind the ball. Put the line in the middle of your stance. Open your stance about 30 degrees; open the clubface up the same amount; the ball will travel more or less straight. When you swing, look at the line instead of the ball, and try to enter the sand at that spot with a full swing, accelerating through the sand.

Once you get good at that, pick out a spot in the sand on the course to aim for instead of the line.

To vary how far the ball travels, move the spot farther back or closer to the ball.

Once you learn the techniques associated with different lies in the sand, bunker shots should become one of the easiest parts of your game. The best advice I could give you is to find a pro at a course with a good practice facility and ask to take a bunker lesson. I would bet that in one hour, the pro could teach you all the skills you'll need for 95% of the bunker shots you'll ever face.

You'll still need to spend time practicing what you learn in that lesson, but you'll know what to work on.

As for quick and easy tips...

During practice bunker sessions, draw a line in the sand about 3 inches behind the ball. Put the line in the middle of your stance. Open your stance about 30 degrees; open the clubface up the same amount; the ball will travel more or less straight. When you swing, look at the line instead of the ball, and try to enter the sand at that spot with a full swing, accelerating through the sand.

Once you get good at that, pick out a spot in the sand on the course to aim for instead of the line.

To vary how far the ball travels, move the spot farther back or closer to the ball.

Thanks for the reply and tips. Every better player I talk to says the same thing, that they're one of the easiest shots in the game. The trouble is, I've taken a group lesson focused on bunker play, and still can't seem to get it right. I did that drill a lot last year, and just couldn't seem to get things figured - clearly I still haven't figured it. Maybe I need the individual attention instead of the general stuff like in the group lesson.

The best tip I got was from Kris Tamulis. She told me to keep my V (either side of the V being my arms).

Other than that, the rest is pretty much the same old stuff you always hear. It got better for me last year after I spent a lot of time in our practice bunker.

the big thing for me is getting the feel of accelerating through the sand and throwing the sand to my landing area and not even think about the ball at all in my swing

I've never heard that strategy before and I'm going to try it. I hate bunkers with the passion of a thousand angry suns.

Step one.Buy a taylormade ATV

Step two, put your ball in the front of your stance.

Step three: aim at least 4 inches behind the ball

Step four: swing with a partial swing, but accelerate vigorously through the ball.

Step five: clean and take your bunker area

Step 6: celebrate, but no Harlem shakes allowed

Oh and The Walking Dead is not about Zombies

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Worth noting, I use a 58* wedge with 8* of bounce - is this enough bounce for soft conditions? I notice that I tend to hit much better sand shots out of firm bunkers, so I suspect that maybe I need to add something with more bounce.

Lots of great stuff in here.

Nick Faldo did a 1/2 show on sand play for GolfChannel. My favorites from that were to open your stance such that front foot to back foot and ball to back foot create a V. He also advocated doing a drill where you draw a line in the sand (practice only, obviously) and take your stance with the front heel just in front of that line. Then take a practice swing, hitting the line. Move down the line a couple of inches and repeat. Repeat until the line is gone. That is a great drill.

Gary Player did a 1/2 show on sand play for GolfChannel. My favorites from that one were his three keys: 1) weight forward; 2) set [hinge] the wrists immediately; 3) "Strike the match" [his term to describe accelerating through the ball...think about the motion you use when lighting a match stick...we certainly don't stop or slow down]. FWIW, Player was also a massive advocate for using more club when facing the longer bunker shots. I believe he demonstrated down to a 7i.

Edit - they both basically said the same thing for fried eggs and burried lies: square approach to the target, square club face, accelerate through the ball but do not have a full follow through (Faldo characterized this as "thump the sand"), accept that the ball will roll out...just get out of the bunker.

Lots of great stuff in here.

Nick Faldo did a 1/2 show on sand play for GolfChannel. My favorites from that were to open your stance such that front foot to back foot and ball to back foot create a V. He also advocated doing a drill where you draw a line in the sand (practice only, obviously) and take your stance with the front heel just in front of that line. Then take a practice swing, hitting the line. Move down the line a couple of inches and repeat. Repeat until the line is gone. That is a great drill.

Gary Player did a 1/2 show on sand play for GolfChannel. My favorites from that one were his three keys: 1) weight forward; 2) set [hinge] the wrists immediately; 3) "Strike the match" [his term to describe accelerating through the ball...think about the motion you use when lighting a match stick...we certainly don't stop or slow down]. FWIW, Player was also a massive advocate for using more club when facing the longer bunker shots. I believe he demonstrated down to a 7i.

My FIL is the same way about using lower lofted clubs for longer shots. I've definitely done it with my 50˚ but am always tentative to go much lower.

Worth noting, I use a 58* wedge with 8* of bounce - is this enough bounce for soft conditions? I notice that I tend to hit much better sand shots out of firm bunkers, so I suspect that maybe I need to add something with more bounce.

I honestly think you need more bounce, like at least 11 or 12* bounce, this is something my golf pro taught me, and I've stayed out of the sand since

Oh and The Walking Dead is not about Zombies

Look up Gary Player on YouTube. He was a master of the greenside bunker, and imitating him is what gave me the confidence that I'll get out of just about any bunker in satisfactory fashion.

Like mentioned above, more bounce is important to consistent bunker play. My SW is 54° with 11° bounce, and that is only considered a medium bounce. 8° is okay for a lob wedge, but not for a sand wedge.

For distance control, think about how hard you need to swing to splash a divot of sand where you want the puck to land.

There are a few ways to get out of the stand with some consistency. Weight should always be forward on the left leg (right handed) and an open stance to your target.
You can play the chunk and spin (middle of your stance), chunk and run off the front foot or the precision spinner which requires a splash directly behind the ball. This utilizes the bounce of the wedge and is very effective if don't correctly. It won't matter where the pin is if you perfect this shot.
Pall the fundamentals are the same with all three shots. Weight forward with an open stance.

Back