• Went to a ball fitting.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I am putting up a poll and am wondering how you guys choose your golf balls.

Mostly #2, some #1, and add "whatever is lying around."

There are plenty of more effective ways to improve my game; I have time to worry about the ball. Definitely don't need a three piece ball.

I'm a combination of the above...

I look at price, performance specs & reviews. Then I pick up a sleeve and try them for myself.

Right now, I'm playing the Nike Ignite, and I seem to really like it.

I tried the WS Zip too, and enjoyed them, but they are noticeably shorter off the tee, but very similar distance with irons and around the green.

I just bought two 24-packs of Tommy Armour Silver Scots. Jacqui actually bought me a couple of 12-packs for my birthday last year, and my scores were better with them than with the balls I got after I went through these.

The big plus is that these were cheap! I think $13 or $15 per 24-pack on sale at Sports Authority.

I selected price, although really my answer would be whatever I happen to pick up. Like Claire said I have a lot of other areas to improve on besides the ball that I use. I won't pay over $25/doz. either.

Basically, I bought numerous sleeves of various golf balls based upon what I wanted from a ball. Then I took them to the course and compared them side by side. Over a period of time, I found the right ball. At some point, I would like to try a ball fitting, but don't really care about hitting various ball types on the range, enough though the computerized data would be nice.

Since I do not have a Pro Tour swing or impact position, I usually go for price first, compression, then performance. There are some very good golf balls out there, that are low compression, economical, and play well for me. In the summer I play a 70 compression ball, and in the winter, I play a 50 compression ball. I only pay about $19.00 per dozen for these critters. Sometimes even less. I did find some high dollar, premium 3 piece balls on sale, and purchased a few dozen. I did not play any better, or worse with the higher end ball. I understand that a company is coming out with a "zero" compression core ball that I will give a try when I find a box. :comp:

Big fan of the Pro V's no question about it, but i also have tooken an interest in nike's and callaway hots. The Warbird was a ball i used here and there as i didn't want to lose them cuz Dent would always give me a sleeve around my b-day and i wanted them to at least last a month lol.

I selected "Price" because I haven't gotten fitted for a ball yet. I did recently get my driver swing speed, coming in at between 93 and 98 mph I believe I'll be going the way of the Bridgestone B330-RX, Srixon Z Star, or Nike Tour Vapor this year, I'll be looking forward to my own RFP process to determine the best ball for me.

*RFP for those who don't know....Request For Proposal. Businesses who are looking for new vendors will do these and the vendors come in and present their product and pitch their "stuff" to try to get the company's business.

You mean there are other balls out there other than the ProV-1?? :laugh:

Price I think is the sticking point for me. I can't imagine paying $12 for a sleeve of balls when I can buy a whole dozen for a little more than that. IF I get a sponsorship at some point I'll play what ever ball is given to me. But until then I'm going cheap because I have to replace them OFTEN. :angry:

I just bought sleeves, rolled a few on the practice green, then hit some chips, and then took them too the course. Right now I'm playing the Nike ONE Tour's. They feel good off the putter, around the greens they spin great, full swings they spin great, and pretty good distance off the tee.

I usualy play Titleist, but am excited to check out this bridgestone fitting. I'm getting really interested in Bridgestone and Srixon.

This may sound weird, but like I said in another thread, whenever I look at the bridgestone logo before hitting my shot on the ball, I get a high burst of confidence.

Price. I used to lose golfballs all the time, so I always bought the less expensive ones (usually my target price is $20 a dozen or less) but now that Im getting better and I dont lose them so often, Im considering going with the more expensive ones in order to get more spin.

for me i need to work on mastering my equipment and swing before i upgrade to a higher end ball...still lose on average of 2-4 balls a round of 18

i dont buy the cheapest and shy away from the top dollar balls...

Going To go with Maxfli Noodles this year something with low compression and hopefully really soft feel.

Last year I started with the Nike PD Softs. I still have a bunch, and there's nothing fundamentally wrong with them. However, I bought a sleeve of Bridgestone e6+, and my first shot with one was the longest, straightest drive I'd hit. I now have Bridgestone's in the bag. I really like how they feel off of the irons and my putter, which is a big added bonus.

I was also given a sleeve of Nike One Blacks to try. I didn't care for them at all.

I just tried different balls until I found one that I liked best. It used to be the Srixon Hi-Brid Tour ball, but since they stopped making that ball it is a Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x, depending on the course and conditions.

I did the old the whole hunt & peck thing and wound up with the 330 RX. Three of the votes in the poll where "Ball Fitting". I had a very very brief one two years back but it was lame to say the least. I'm curious about the experience that people have had with a fitting session, anyone want to share their's?

I have become very fond of the Nike Juice. I played with whatever I found on the course until recently. I finally feel my game is improving to the point where I might be able to tell a difference between balls. eh...but probably not.

Ok I'm not going to bs myself here. I used to play pro V1's because all the good players did play them. They were the most expensive and I always had to play the best, or what other players were playing.

Over time, It wasn't as much a status symbol now. I just realized that they do feel the best. BUT! This was dating back to the time where Pro V1's did dominate. Really, they still were the only ball out there dating back to Summer 08. Now everything is catching up, and now my choice might be different. That was back then.

I picked I picked Pro V1s because that's what all the good players play.

I was in need of a spinny ball, so I went out and bought a dozen Pro V1x's. They worked. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

However, I do also play the Wilson Staff Zip on occasion, as well as the Top Flite D2 Feel, and Callaway Tour ix.

I picked I picked Pro V1s because that's what all the good players play.

I was in need of a spinny ball, so I went out and bought a dozen Pro V1x's. They worked. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

However, I do also play the Wilson Staff Zip on occasion, as well as the Top Flite D2 Feel, and Callaway Tour ix.

Wait, you needed a spinny ball so you bought the ProV1x, a lower spin ball (comparatively speaking)?

I usually play whatever I find while looking for my ball wherever the fairway IS NOT. I will purchase new/used Precept Lady iQ180, Bridgestone e6+, D2 Feel or Maxfli Noodle.

Christian, we will be reviewing the ladies iq180 coming up soon. They arrived today.

I usually play whatever I find while looking for my ball wherever the fairway IS NOT. I will purchase new/used Precept Lady iQ180, Bridgestone e6+, D2 Feel or Maxfli Noodle.

You know that the Precept Distance iQ180 is the same thing as the Lady iQ180's, just not pink.

Back