How would you play this shot (if you were me) --->

That is a very cruel course even if there are only one or 2 holes that long. My course from the blues is 6670. Most par 4 are 400 or so. The longest is 438 and I rarely reach that in 2. It has a slope of 136 and is usually rated in top 50 hardest courses in the US. Post a link of the scorecard that might get some better responses.

If there is a par 4 or par 5 that I know I'm laying up on I won't hit driver off the tee. Maybe 6i, 8i wedge would be a better approach for you.

agreed. If there is no danger, I'd bash the 3w up there. Or I'd take my 4 hybrid and leave myself 30-50 yards.
That's my vote! the 18th hole at my course is 486 and plays up hill and into the wind...I typically have 210-230 into this green with water and a bunker on the extreme left....I typically aim at the right edge and let it rip!

My rule: par 4 go for it in 2 and just get up and down if I miss
Par 5 lay up
I want a GIR!

Tappin!

Both, depends on the course. There are courses that you only hit your driver 3-5 times and shoot a good score. Some courses, not hitting your driver can hurt you if you're going for birdies.

There's a short course in my home town and I learned to play my favorite iron off the tee even though the hole might be 350 yards and I can get there with a driver and a wedge. But my mentality is that if I make a birdie... then awesome! but Par is more realistic in this case. I consistently shoot in the 70s when I lay up and go for pars. I used to shoot in the 80s at the same short course when I got too aggresive.

Many of us are not going to be under par or even close to it in our lifetime so best thing to do is manage the course to score the best that you are capable of. There are certain holes that you might think "hey a bogey here is a good score" so lay up, take your medicine and move on. Once your confidence grows then you can attack more pins etc That's my 2 cents anyways

1 - If you regularly can't comfortably hit the green in regulation after a good tee shot on par 4s (I would say >2x/rd), move up a box
2 - To actually answer your question, go for it if there is no big danger near the green
3 - If there is danger, lay up to your most comfortable yardage. I like getting as close as possible, so would hit something to bring me up just short of trouble if I couldn't get there, whereas most would likely leave themselves the distance of a full shot with their favourite wedge (mine would be 105 with my sand wedge)

Practice, practice, practice.....

You would be amazed at the difference that an accurate 200-220 yard shot can make. However, you have to be confident in the shot because golf is a mental game. I would spend more time on the range developing consistency with whatever club you use from that range. Then when you get to the course and you have the option for that shot you will be more comfortable and hit the shot with success. One of my most memorable shots is a 5 iron from 212, over water, to within 6 feet of the hole, and that is the club that I am most confident in now.

If your average drive is 240 and you're still left with a 200-220 yard shot going into the green on a 6700'ish yard course, you have a very cruel course architect. 440-460yd par 4's shouldn't be the norm at that length.

This.

Especially since this shouldn't be the norm I try to mentally treat this type of par 4 as a par 4.5. Making 5 is okay, just do not make 6 (same thing when you see the stupid long - e.g., 230 yard - par 3's. Just don't make 5). As a result I'm very inclined to hit an iron to a comfortable distance, expecting that I can go wedge and no more than 2 putts from there.

On par 5's where I have 240ish in the same principle applies. Driver, 7 or 8 iron, wedge into a par 5 isn't sexy. But I like marking the 5 on the scorecard.

On par 5's where I have 220 or less I am pretty likely to break out a hyrbrid and go for it, especially if there isn't substantial trouble around the green.

From 200-220 I would be hitting 3w or hybrid depending on how the green is protected. If you are talking a 220 carry, then I would likely be laying up.

No offense, but if you are playing courses that have a a bunch of 440-460 yard par 4's (going off of the distances you provided), as a 19 handicap - I would suggest moving up a tee box.

Can't agree more. I'm a 19 and I play the white tees, have been for about 5 years. I'm also driving the same distance as the OP, 220-230. It certainly makes a round a lot more fun.

This is probably a combination of stuff that already been said, but I think the answer is really situational. Obviously if the green is wide open in front and your comfortable with a 20 yd pitch then go for it...otherwise you need to pick your layup. What you have to overcome is the psych part of laying back to a longer yardage and learn to treat the successful layup as a "win". One thing you can try is what a friend of mine does - he has his own "Par" and plays that game...so if it's a Par 4 he just can't reach he treats it like a Par 5 and so he's not defeated by making 5 and it makes his layup decisions easier.

Forget the pin and start aiming at the green from that distance. You will be amazed at how often you get to putt the next shot.

I agree as well about the status of the hole. No major hazard risk, go for it, if there is even a slight chance, lay up

Is this on a course(s) you usually play? If you are having a good day with your 3wood go for it!!! If your not lay up with the next shortest club you are hitting well that day leaving yourself with a nice easy chip or pitch and run that you can get close and one or two put out.

I'd much rather have that 10-30yd pitch/chip from the fairway than be short sided in some nasty rough or worse be 20 yds off the green behind a tree.

That's my 2 cents!

I play 2 of these every round. If I bang a good drive and am 200 out I usually use the 5wood and go for it. Sand is on my left on both and I usually miss fairway woods right. Good chip and short putt still gets a par. My pitching/approach skills disappeared this winter though.

I would go with your 3 wood for the distance, or if you have a higher loft wood say a 5 or 7 wood, you might be better of hitting that. Sure the higher loft means less distance but it's easier to get it airborne especially if you are struggling with the 3 wood. Now if you are struggling hitting any of your woods consistently I would hit a solid hybrid shot and lay up. Who knows you may get lucky with the hybrid and get it close to wedge in. Also moving up to the next tee box is an easy fix, sure we all like to hit from the longest tees but sometimes it's not practical. At my course we have the red tees, blue tees, white, and yellow, red being the longest and I usually hit from the blues because it makes the course more enjoyable and the opportunities for birdies increases for me!

It is a situation that many find more often on par 5s. Firstly it comes down to course management, where are the fairway and greenside bunkers, water etc. Then I would want to leave myself with as little to do on my next shot as possible - so take the longest club that you feel comfortable with and aim to a spot where you can hit it with that club. And then your short game needs to be spot on. When I break 80 its mostly because of chipping it close and leaving myself short putts.

That is one long par 4....what tee box are you playing from?

Move up to the next tee box....

Agree 100%. This is one of the reasons golf play is so slow...

Actually, I apologize - you are playing from the correct tees - that is just a bear of a hole. The closing hole at Heritage Hills in York, Pa is about that length from the whites, which I play from. And the approach shot is over a pond! I have went for it and made it a couple times, but a couple times it didn't end so well. Most of the time I lay up. I am much more comfortable with a wedge over a pond than carrying a 4 wood from 190 -200!

hit a running 5I and throw the next oen up close to the pin with a wedge

Thanks again to everybody for their responses - it helps to get different takes on how to best approach these longer approach shots. Here's the scorecard - I play the whites at the West course: http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=13644

So looks like 5/9/11/14 and maybe 16/18 are the long holes you'd have this situation? The problem I see is that the reds are an aweful lot closer. Maybe try playing the reds a few times, and if you still enjoy the course, keep playing them. Otherwise, take a few lessons and see if you can't get your driver going a bit longer or maybe more confidence with your woods off the deck. Or (and this would be my ideal solution), just play the whites and think of those holes in your head as short par 5s until you get your cap nearer single digits. Regardless, just make sure you do what allows you to have fun out there!

I'm your basic average length driver (240-ish), typically wind up with 200-220 yards in on ALOT of par 4's, or if something for whatever reason goes wrong somewhere in the first two shots. I hate that distance & I'm torn - never know if I should go for the hero shot if it's a nice fairway lie (3 wood - if I force myself to swing easy & make good contact, I can't get more than 200 out of it plus a goodly amount of roll) --- OR --- pull the PW or 9 iron & lay it up for a sand/gap wedge in. I'm improving, but having trouble consistently breaking 90 - do it less than 50% of the time. I'm just having a hard time coming to grips with giving a shot away by laying up, but often, I give more than one shot up recovering from an errant 3wood.

Which route would you recommend to maximize my scoring potential on this common yardage ?

Thx

You need to move up a tee if possible, having 200+ second shots on par 4s is no fun.

You need to move up a tee if possible, having 200+ second shots on par 4s is no fun.
I think its more a matter of odd course design than playing from the correct tees. 6300 from the whites is fine but a 475 yard par 4 and 77 yard 3??? Blah.

I was going to suggest buying a FYbrid but you already bag one. This is why I bought this club because I also run into the same problem with a tee shot that leaves me with 200 yds. I also face 200 par 3's depending on the course. If there is trouble in front of the green, lay back to your favorite yardage (mine is 100yds for my 50*). If it is clear then pull out the FY or 3w and let it rip. To take the next step in your game you must be able to play from this yardage IMO.

I think its more a matter of odd course design than playing from the correct tees. 6300 from the whites is fine but a 475 yard par 4 and 77 yard 3??? Blah.

I agree with this. Looking at the scorecard I was thinking that perhaps those long Par 4s were down major hills, but the course only has a slope rating of 117 from the blues! To me, weird course design means being aggressive where possible and smart where necessary.

Back