Are you a gamer or a range pro?

I'm neither. I can never put my whole game together anywhere.

I was a total range rat. I lived near a modern covered, heated, lighted, facility, and I'd go every other night. If you saw me it might of even looked like I could play. Unfortunately taking the range swing to the course is difficult. But I can't imagine how bad I'd be without all the range time. Besides, I love hitting balls and trying new swing thoughts.

I moved and don't get any range time now as my course doesn't have one. I notice the difference big time, not so much in the longer clubs, but the short game hasn't been in the bag at all this year. I used to know how far all my clubs would get me, now I just guess. Also now that I don't go to the range at night I don't have anything to even try to bring to the course. The good news is that they are building a new range at my closest course as I type and it should be done by next spring.

"A Gamer" and that's a relative term of course. I have two types of "range sessions"
1.) Warmup before a round - I could care less how I am hitting, I am strictly using this as a warmup session and really don't pay attention to where the ball is going, for me, it's about hitting 8-12 balls to loosen up the muscles.

2.) True Practice Session - I can certainly get frustrated during a practice session, but if I am working on something and I just can't get it going, I will just chip the rest of the balls to a short target. I try and not get too worked up when on the practice range.

My life/game has changed so much. I used to go to the range all the time and it would help me maintain my rhythm which would help my on course play. Now I just pound balls at the range because I don't have the money to play. My range time now is not helping me I don't think. I am messed in the head as to what I am trying to work on. My game is spiraling south and it's all mental

I prefer to play rather than going to the range. My home course has no range so I do t warm up before a round. I swing a heavy club to warm up and stretch then hit the first tee. It's not that I think the range is a complete waste of time, I don't have time for lessons and don't know the right stuff to practice. Practitioner bad habits will only further cement them. I do pretty well with this philosophy. If I had a training aid, I might spend more time at the range. I would rather be playing though!

I'm no gamer, but I'm not great at the range either. The one thing that I will say is, my GolfTec lessons a few years back really made the range enjoyable. Before that (like Gianna said above), I didn't really know what I was doing, so it was frustrating much of the time, and good sessions were just luck. After the GolfTec lessons, I could know what I was working on, so I actually enjoyed the range. Even now, if I go to the range with a specific goal, and make progress on it, it can be (almost) as enjoyable as actually playing -- plus it takes less time.

Currently a bit of a range rat since I'm In the middle of my Golftec lessons which have made my range time much mor productive, but still prefer hitting the course.

I like to think that I am pretty even on both. I use the range for practice sessions and have a lot of fun doing so. After finally taking a couple lessons I've been working hard to groove my new tweaked swing, I feel that the range is where you put the time in. I've even started hitting a medium bucket after playing 18 and working on reinforcing good swings.

The one thing that makes transitioning from range to fairway tough, is the variances in lies. I wish the range had a section I could go work on whacky side hill lies on! Another fun thing to do that makes the range enjoyable is mentally playing a round at a course, tee to green.

I never hit well on the range. I end up hitting everything fat and get frustrated.

I normally play much better out on the course when I can relax and take my time. For some reason, I always feel rushed to hit the next shot on the range, like people are watching me.

I play better on the course but also realize without practice I am not going to improve. I used to go to the range, get a large bucket of balls and try and hit every club. That wasn't working and as I got older my back said "What are you doing old man?". So now I just get a small bucket and focus on playing a few holes I know well and alternate clubs that way. Then off to the green for some chipping and putting.

No matter how good I am at the range it never carries over to the course. Hitting off mats or a prefect grass lie at the range is just not the same. Playing on a course the conditions, lies, etc change with every shot.

I mostly hit the range for exercise or just to relax. I don't expect my game to improve much from range sessions. The real lessons come on the course.

I tend to be much like you said you were going to start being....I work on 100 yards and in on the range and everything else on the course.

My problem with practicing my longer irons and woods on the range is I just start banging away (that's what she said) and end up developing more bad habits than good. I have tried to make my self slow down and "mentally play a few holes" on the range...but I just can't make myself do it.

The handicap system takes away any need for me to practice. I do not wish to play less golf shots on the course as a reward for giving up my time on the range.

I am terrible on the range.... Almost always.... I don't enjoy it..... I'd rather practice on the course and I do that when I play by myself....

Now I do really enjoy practicing my chipping, pitching and putting and that has really helped me become a much better folder overall.

You've just been tapatalked by Ford!

I'm much more comfortable on the course with my short game, and on the range with my driver. I can stay on the range and hit my driver well all day, then go hit it crap on the course. On the other hand, I rarely hit good shots on the range (especially if stuck on a matt). Even with that, if I could afford it, I'd hit balls for an hour before every round if only to warm up and work on shots.

I love going to the range but would rather play. My work schedule lately does not allow much time to play and only gives me an hour or so to practice. If I could hit greens I wouldnt need the range, guess thats why I practice my short game so much and should focus more on alignment.

I play short game shots on the range like a pro but get a bit wild with woods trying to smoke them. My scores lower the more I play,but I don't think my duck hook that was here for a month or two goes a way with out the range.

At the range up here your not allowed to hit off the grass and the matts are just a two inch thick square block of astro turf so after about 30 ball's you can really feel it in your forearms. I end up getting disintrested then bored I end up hitting about 70 balls with little 30 - 70 yard shots. I much perfer to get it together while playing. Hitting at that range doesn't resemble any type of golf shot you will encounter on a course.

Similar to many, I just don't have much time to play so I end up at the range to cure my golf jones. Only problem is, I don't have a swing I can trust anymore. The range has ruined me. I've gone from a 7 handicap, back when I coached golf and played everyday in the spring, to now I'm a 17! For no other reason than I think over my shots now because I've tinkered so much. I really need to stop hitting balls and just work on my 100 yards and in with a shag bag. It's very frustrating to go from 79-81 every round to 89-91 now. I don't get as many offers to play in scrambles either because my game has gone south so far. Sad. Went to Myrtle two months ago with college buddies I haven't seen in 15 years and they were shocked. I used to kick their "a" and take their money every time we played. Boy did they lick their chops that weekend!!!

So I just get back from a round of golf where I played nothing like I hit on the range. Not one shank all day but a lot of fats and heavy shots which I did on the range too. But for the most part I hit the ball nothing like I did on the range.

I went to the range this morning and looked like I did on the course. That is not a good thing. I've heard the adage it gets worse before it gets better. I'm praying that is true.

I went to the range this morning and looked like I did on the course. That is not a good thing. I've heard the adage it gets worse before it gets better. I'm praying that is true.

Me too Chunky...

I used to spend a lot of time at the range but just felt I played differently on the course. The range is wide and open and you lined up perfectly on a square mat. This make me hit the ball we as im aligned perfect and because I have nowhere to lose my ball. Compare that to the course and in my opinion 80% of the game is in your head. Have a tight fairway and fearing out of bounds causes you to hit bad shots. On the range it is a different atmosphere. Instead of going to the range I tend to go to the 9 hole and practice all aspects of my game instead.

I'm a gamer. I honestly hate the range. Hate it.

But I do love to practice my short game - I can spend hours chipping and putting and I'm never bored. But I just seem to over think it when I'm on the range - it doesn't help me a whole ton. I'd much rather spend my time out on the course - I feel like I can tinker with things a little better out there.

Back