Leupold GX-3i & GX-4i Rangefinder Review

I understand the idea of "if it is just turned off" because lets face it, some might not turn it off. However the device is not even a slope device without the key attached.

I am getting the itch to purchase one and definitely want the slope option, but at the same time definitely want to use in tournament play. Will have to keep an eye on this appeal.

JB, I'm kind of sorry I brought it up, but my buddy and I have debated this from every angle, and I think you could interpret the rule either way. I was really just wondering if the USGA had made a definitive ruling, because until they do it is just an academic debate.

Dying to get one of these. Thanks for the review!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The rule is a perfect example of "the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law" IMHO... With that said, I absolutely love my GX-4! Like JB said, there is no possibility of anything other than a basic rangefinder when the yellow key isn't attached, essentially making it a GX-3.

I’ve never considered this brand as I am still using my Bushnell from the late ’90s. I have been looking for an excuse to buy a new one, and when I do, I will not count these out because they are not a Bushnell. Sounds like a quality product.

The rule is a perfect example of "the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law" IMHO... With that said, I absolutely love my GX-4! Like JB said, there is no possibility of anything other than a basic rangefinder when the yellow key isn't attached, essentially making it a GX-3.

The problem the USGA has is setting precedent. First, I have no doubt that some gearhead is going to figure out how to defeat the key system - not necessarily because he wants to cheat, but because he enjoys screwing around with electronic devices. Second, if the USGA agrees to allow the 4 and 4xi to be used without the key, then they will be bombarded with products seeking approval based on the claim that cheater features can be totally disabled. Its a tough problem, but I give Leupold a lot of credit for coming up with a sensible approach.

The problem the USGA has is setting precedent. First, I have no doubt that some gearhead is going to figure out how to defeat the key system - not necessarily because he wants to cheat, but because he enjoys screwing around with electronic devices. Second, if the USGA agrees to allow the 4 and 4xi to be used without the key, then they will be bombarded with products seeking approval based on the claim that cheater features can be totally disabled. Its a tough problem, but I give Leupold a lot of credit for coming up with a sensible approach.

Its an interesting debate, but not sure I totally agree. Because being totally disabled and not being able to are different things. Without the key, the device is nothing more than a 3i. It is technically no different than someone having both a 3i and 4i and being told that they cant use the 3i because they own the other.

Read this yesterday, but forgot to leave feedback! Nice review. I'm intrigued by range finders because, I've never actually used one! It's a foreign concept to me but one I think could be very useful on unfamiliar courses. I like the look of these Leupold models too, they look sturdy and hard wearing.

Very classy looking, but for the price I like my Bushnell v2.

Read this yesterday, but forgot to leave feedback! Nice review. I'm intrigued by range finders because, I've never actually used one! It's a foreign concept to me but one I think could be very useful on unfamiliar courses. I like the look of these Leupold models too, they look sturdy and hard wearing.
You really should consider one. This is the first year with mine and I wouldn't want to golf without it now.

You really should consider one. This is the first year with mine and I wouldn't want to golf without it now.

I don't know if I could justify the price tbh. I play about 90% of my golf on my home course, and I rarely struggle to obtain a yardage. It would effectively just be a gadget for the sake of it. The only place it would be really handy for me would be the practice area.

Great review and I really appreciate all the comments. I've noted that Bushnell is coming out with the Z6 with the red display and small size that looks a lot like the GX-3i. Amazon says it will be released in June but I've already seen some sold (demonstrators?) on EBay. I would bet that when the Z6 comes out, we'll see the price of the GX-3i reduced further - you can already find it for as low as $335 or so. Anyway, the reviews / comments have already convinced me, so today I pulled the trigger on the GX-3i as I didn't want to wait to find out whether the GX-4 would be deemed tournament legal. Can't wait to try it out.

I just purchased a GX-4i from Blind9 and had my first two rounds with it this past week.
First off- I love the weight and the quality of the device. It is very sturdy and I have no concerns about it getting beat up. The slope reading is wonderful and I think that over the long term it will make me a better player.

I have just one complaint... I would LOVE to turn off the club selection feature. I want the distance and the corrected distance... but I don't want a machine telling me what to hit. In the same round, the device recommended a 129 yard PW uphill and a 137 yard 7i downhill. I updated the distances for 8/6/4 iron when I got the device but it is still more than a club off several times a round. A few times I let it get into my head and clubbed up, completely overshooting the green.

In order to turn off the club selection, I need to turn off the slope. Why can't it just show me my two distances and leave it at that. As it is, you have to pay really close attention to the "straight line" distance because it disappears so fast!

Gus,
I had someone else tell me that and I guess to me I never really noticed it. I know its there, but all I look at are the two distances.

Gus,
I had someone else tell me that and I guess to me I never really noticed it. I know its there, but all I look at are the two distances.

How do you get it to "stay" on the second distance?
Mine flips to the club choice after about a second. I always find myself gunning the flag again to try and catch it.

After last round, I don't pay any attention to the club it mentions. It just took 2 bad experiences to tell me I can't believe anything it suggests.

How do you get it to "stay" on the second distance?
Mine flips to the club choice after about a second. I always find myself gunning the flag again to try and catch it.

Hmmm. I dont think mine has ever done that. Have you tried changing settings?

I messed with them a bit. I'll go back and look to see if there is anything else in the owners manual.

The top number (slope adjusted) is easy to read, it's the bottom number (the straight line distance) that is replaced by the club recommendation.
Or is your unit different?

I messed with them a bit. I'll go back and look to see if there is anything else in the owners manual.

The top number (slope adjusted) is easy to read, it's the bottom number (the straight line distance) that is replaced by the club recommendation.
Or is your unit different?

That is the way mine is, but I dont have it switch constantly with club selection. I dont have it with me since it is on the Tour Van, but will check to make sure I am not crazy as soon as we are next on there.

Thanks!
I appreciate that!

Thanks for this review. Just went out and bought myy GX-4i today, and got a steal on it since it was the "demo" model at the golf store, got it for 399.

DL

So am I the only one who got a "bad batch" of GX-4i??????

I got mine recently and it didnt work well at all...only when the flagstick had the prism did it work...mine couldnt lock onto flags even 135 yards and no its not user error.

I called Leupold and they said a "batch" of GX 3 and 4 i's left the factory with bad software and dont work well...most were re-flashed while at their factory in Beaverton but some left without the re-flash...mine was one of them.

I was going to sell mine cause it didnt work nearly as well as my old Bushnell 1500 SE.

Since I live close to thew factory I dropped mine off for the re-flash.

So if anyone has a GX-3/4i that doesnt work well, you probably need to send it in to the factory to get the software re-flash.

So am I the only one who got a "bad batch" of GX-4i??????

I got mine recently and it didnt work well at all...only when the flagstick had the prism did it work...mine couldnt lock onto flags even 135 yards and no its not user error.

I called Leupold and they said a "batch" of GX 3 and 4 i's left the factory with bad software and dont work well...most were re-flashed while at their factory in Beaverton but some left without the re-flash...mine was one of them.

I was going to sell mine cause it didnt work nearly as well as my old Bushnell 1500 SE.

Since I live close to thew factory I dropped mine off for the re-flash.

So if anyone has a GX-3/4i that doesnt work well, you probably need to send it in to the factory to get the software re-flash.

That's great to know. I was somewhat disappointed with the ability to lock on a flag stick- even with the prisims it doesn't give me the audibe beep/lock that it is supposed to. Perhaps I'll give leupold a call.

When did you pick yours up mact3333?

I'm new to this forum, so may be missing discussion on the subject, but just in case - I actually have an email from the USGA ("Equipment Standards") dated May 14, 2012, saying that they have evaluated the GX-4i, and it is not legal for tournament play - even when the yellow faceplate is removed.

I got my Leupold GX-3i earlier this week and have played 3 rounds with it so far and I am quite impressed with it so far!!! First off it is very small so it fits the the cup holders of the cart very easily but it fits in your hand very nice. Setting it up is pretty straight forward since there are only a few options to choose from. I have not had any issues at all finding distances to pins,trees, bunkers or anything at all. It seems to pick the pins up fairly easy even if your not spot on them and the red numbers and reticle make it easy to see, it is just a joy to use. I would highly recommend it!!!!

Back