jag398

Reaction score
Handicap
How much can you bend a wedge before it starts to be to much? I'm looking at getting a new set of wedges and want to bend them two or 3 degrees so they have the bounce I want.

I have heard that 2 degrees is no problem, but I wouldn't risk it a whole lot further than that.

Depends of they're forged. 3 degrees should be ok if they are from a softer carbon steel. Also depends on what gaps you want, most go with 4 or 5 degrees.

with most wedge options out there today i can't see how you'd have to bend any more than 2 degrees...but i guess you could get 3 out of it? i don't know why though, if you for instance want a 54 and want to make it a 51 you woulnd't just by the 50 degree and up it one...?

Depends of they're forged. 3 degrees should be ok if they are from a softer carbon steel. Also depends on what gaps you want, most go with 4 or 5 degrees.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with it. Its how soft the material is that is whats really important. Vokey wedges are cast and one of the softest wedges out there.

Are we talking lofts or lie angles OP?

with most wedge options out there today i can't see how you'd have to bend any more than 2 degrees...but i guess you could get 3 out of it? i don't know why though, if you for instance want a 54 and want to make it a 51 you woulnd't just by the 50 degree and up it one...?

That would depend on what bounce angle you want. If you want a certain bounce angle it may not be possible to bend it from 50*, so you must use a 54*.

How much can you bend a wedge before it starts to be to much? I'm looking at getting a new set of wedges and want to bend them two or 3 degrees so they have the bounce I want.

I have bent many wedges/irons 2 degrees, but most builders will make you sign a waver of some sort to bend more than 2 degrees. Bending for bounce will effect loft as well. Make sure they give the wedge a good wack or two to give the metal some memory so it will not want to return over time.

I was wondering about this as well.

When I picked up my irons, I added a 50 degree AW to the bag, which already houses a 52 degree vokey, and a 60 degree vokey.

I know the 60 degree is coming out (hopefully I can sell it).

But in the interest of saving some dough, I wonder if i could get the 52 degree bent to like a 54 or a 55.

If it were possible, any idea how it would change the playability of the club?

That would depend on what bounce angle you want. If you want a certain bounce angle it may not be possible to bend it from 50*, so you must use a 54*.

i'm also assuming that you could buy a 54 or a 50 in varying degrees of bounce...which, most of the companies offer these days.

Are we talking lofts or lie angles OP?

I'm talking about lofts and the reason for it is to change the bounce. I'm likely getting two or three ping anser wedges and the only gripe I have about them is their bounce options are awful. I like my wedges to have as little bounce as possible and the lowest they offer is 10* of bounce. I'm thinking of getting a 52* with 12* bounce and bending it to 49* with 9* and going with a 54* the way it comes and getting a 60* and bending it to a 58* so the bounce changes to a 8*.

I asked my proshop guy the same thing, he told me that 4-5 degree is the most he would recommend but he said he has done 6-10 before. Sounds really risky.

i'm also assuming that you could buy a 54 or a 50 in varying degrees of bounce...which, most of the companies offer these days.

Some do and some don't. With Titleist or Cleveland I can't imagine there are many scenarios where one must bend 3* to achieve desired bounce. But with some others they only offer one bounce option, or unibounce variable soles all around, so a 3* bend may be necessary.

Hi everyone,

Just to jump on the bending bandwagon, I have a really quick question.

Do you guys think it's ok to bend the Nike VR Pro 52* (10* bounce) to a 50*? I want this club as my 50* gap wedge. What do you all think?!

Cheers,

Low

i took my Vokey 52 degree in today and the pro said they could do 2 or 3 degree no problem.

So, my 52 is now bent to 55.... mainly just because I didn't want to buy another wedge to maintain the 5 degree gap I have going on in my clubs. If it works great, if not, no biggie.

Hi everyone,

Just to jump on the bending bandwagon, I have a really quick question.

Do you guys think it's ok to bend the Nike VR Pro 52* (10* bounce) to a 50*? I want this club as my 50* gap wedge. What do you all think?!

Cheers,

Low

Should be fine. Take it to any clubmaker.

thanks for the responses. this place is the best.

Back