Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Terrific info JB. Could you compare and contrast what you are seeing with the Classic vs. the J40 you were playing?

Larger sweet spot on the Classic and a little more spin.

JBeast Mode with the Classic! your driver swing sounds a lot like mine right now but the results you;re seeing right now are great

So I have had a chance to gather my thoughts from todays round with this driver and what I can say is that I think with the low spin head, the 12* just fits me well. Into a heavy wind, I lost a few yards of distance. Downwind, I gained a few more (in air longer). Normal conditions, things were similar and I did not miss a single fairway in the 9 holes I hit it.

I am putting it on the launch monitor this weekend to see what I come up with, but I can say that it could be my gamer for quite a while after the Morgan Cup too. Those that know me, know that despite testing every piece of equipment that comes out, I dont change all that often and part of that is because I think there is a comfort that one gets with clubs. You have the honeymoon period, then it fades, and rather than replace, I ride it out. Picking up this one was as if I had passed the honeymoon and the fade period and it was as if it had been made for me (it was) all along.

Some would ask, could that not just be the honeymoon period? Maybe its just me, but I can tell a difference in picking up something that is new and shiny and works, compared to something that just feels like it fits. This was the latter. My swing is goofy, I come over the top, my weight shift is not always perfect, I use too much arms, etc....But when push comes to shove, from 18 inches behind the ball to 18 inches after the ball, the club is pretty square when I come through it and I usually make decent contact. This driver with its gigantic face and good looks (that are better in person), just screams confidence.

I honest to God feel bad for the opponents that I face at the Morgan Cup. Losing to a little man that has Grimmace as his handler has just awoken a beast. Going back to my roots in many things has changed my outlook and going back to the best shaft I have ever played in golf, is something special for me. Call it ego, confidence, trash talk or anything else and I am cool with it. This driver gives me a certain freedom that I have never had before I dont think. Or at least not recently. I have always been a decent driver of the ball, but a few got a way from me each round and it has always been the reason that I have struggled to get to a certain level. My irons have usually worked good enough and I think I have a pretty decent short game, but the driver has always given me a certain fit that no matter what I did I could not tame....until now.

Thank you Cleveland Golf for producing something that makes me play the game differently. I have more to say but will save it for something else. The year of innovation continues and its about going back to your roots Cleveland Classic style.

Outstanding writeup JB.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I never hit another man's driver! You could be cranking em' dead off the center off the face all day and the second you touch another man's driver, CLANK!!! Sky mark!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Thats why I always tee up my ball like I'm hitting a hybrid when I hit someone else's driver lol.

Thats why I always tee up my ball like I'm hitting a hybrid when I hit someone else's driver lol.

I could do that, but just choose to refrain from hitting.

BTW, T-11 days until the CC is here. Too bad I'll be in TN from the 7th through the 25th.

Great write up JB! This makes me feel better that i am going with the 12degree also.

Why do I always seem to check this thread out when someone is posting a revelation about this driver....

Maybe it's because that's all anyone says!!! This and the Mashie 3W are HOTTT on my radar right now

BTW, T-11 days until the CC is here. Too bad I'll be in TN from the 7th through the 25th.

I'll PM you where to have it forwarded to and if you want I'll put a dummy mark protector on it. :alien:

It's not "too bad" that you'll be back home in TN. You know you love God's country ;)

I'll PM you where to have it forwarded to and if you want I'll put a dummy mark protector on it. :alien:

Well I could but then I'd be pimpalicious driverless even longer when I get back!

It's not "too bad" that you'll be back home in TN. You know you love God's country ;)

Agreed. I just meant too bad I'm gonna have to wait to hit it!!! I'll be tearing up courses in Gatlinburg when I'm home with the R11s though, so all is well.

For me it was more control. That was the biggest difference. A little higher ball flight as well of course, however I went to a slightly lower launching shaft to fix that.

Nice, I will have to compare the 10.5 to the 12 at demo day.

Yeah, I think I am falling in love with this thing. Not a bad grouping either. The 12 degree head is giving me a nice ball flight and it's truly a fairway finder.

c6e4ea6a-643b-ea7b.jpg
Solid

I'm not sure, but I am sensing a different tone with JB and I think he likes the Classic. :)

Real men don't fear loft they embrace it, hone it and then beat you about your body with it and then it's lights out. Glad this seems to have taken out at least one side of the golf course.......the rough.

Real men don't fear loft they embrace it, hone it and then beat you about your body with it and then it's lights out. Glad this seems to have taken out at least one side of the golf course.......the rough.

I like it! I have to be honest though, I'm seeing the same thing with the 10.5* head.

Have you any of you tried to hit it off the deck?

I can see a lot of friction happening.

I like it! I have to be honest though, I'm seeing the same thing with the 10.5* head.

It's key to playing well, eliminate a side or sides of the golf course and you score/play better.
The Cleveland Classic is and sounds like a real game changer

Have you any of you tried to hit it off the deck?

I can see a lot of friction happening.

LOL, hell no! I don't want to put any blemishes on my golf plate.

It's key to playing well, eliminate a side or sides of the golf course and you score/play better.
The Cleveland Classic is and sounds like a real game changer

I don't know what it is, but I hit it well. It sure is a nice confidence builder to have in the bag.

I really like the old school feel of this driver but I just have not seen the success that everyone else has. I just don't get along with deep faced drivers.

I really like the old school feel of this driver but I just have not seen the success that everyone else has. I just don't get along with deep faced drivers.

Remember the first time we hit it in the course? You hit a dying quail out to the right and I snap hooked it in to the water haha

Remember the first time we hit it in the course? You hit a dying quail out to the right and I snap hooked it in to the water haha

I remember it went as high and far as a PW

That's b/c you two suck at golf :alien:

That's b/c you two rock at golf :alien:

I know! Silly Classic driver. Next day on the range it was better, but I just remember our first swings with it were god awful. Nothing like the Long Tom which was love at first sight

I know! Silly Classic driver. Next day on the range it was better, but I just remember our first swings with it were god awful. Nothing like the Long Tom which was love at first sight

LOL....if you think the Long Tom is > than the Classic then you do suck deano. I'm sorry.

TC, since your G20 is up for sale, I am guessing that means you like the Classic more? :D

Back