Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

45fa570e-58db-78cf.jpg

My i20 paint filled orange for Syracuse and my blue dot matches perfectly for my school colors

45fa570e-58db-78cf.jpg

My i20 paint filled orange for Syracuse and my blue dot matches perfectly for my school colors

You do that yourself?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Previous test posts in spoiler.

Spoiler

Have 2 more rounds in since round 6 and those I'll write up soon. My current GIR is up to 54% from 51% after round 6. Went to the range today to work on the 6I and UW. They haven't had any range write up.

6 Iron

Rather than hit straight shots xxx yards I opted to try hit the 6I as bad as possible. Put some contact tape on to make sure I hit them all over the place on the face. About 1/2 my shots worked, the others I hit just fine.

Low strikes - This is the only shot that feels a little harsh on a miss. Also notice a lot more sidespin than other misses, less backspin probably increased the sidespin effect. 2 were pretty low and darned near sliced. The others carried about the same distance as a well struck shot. Pretty good roll as well. This is my least favorite miss with the i20s although the results are not all that punishing.

Toe strikes - i20s really shine on balls hit toward the toe. Mine fly a touch lower and tend to be a little short and right. Pretty well documented in the thread if you miss out on the toe you'll be surprised.

High strikes - This was pretty pointless. I teed it up really high and popped some way up. After that I realized this miss will never come into play for me. I don't tee it up high on par 3s and if I were to hit it so fat the ball hit super high on the face the club would stick in the ground.

Inside strikes - Tried everything to get some inside, not good enough to miss on demand I guess. Also notice I rarely catch one here on the course.

6I is very forgiving. On the fatter shots I did lose distance, but results were better than expected. Been through all this already, just reiterating that the i20s offer more forgiveness than I was expecting going into the test.

UW

This is a club I wanted to hit xxx yards. Seems to be a solid 105 yard club, same as every other GW I've recently used. Obviously, I've figured this out on the course already, helps to confirm it on the range. Trajectory is perfect, nice and high. Accuracy is exceptional. Gap wise it plays nicely with the PW. I may have a big gap btwn SW and UW, need to check that out. However, it hasn't been an issue on the course.

A shot that can be a little touchy is the 80-90 yard shot. I don't feel SW is always the best choice on those even if I can muscle it that far. I'm a little more accurate with a controlled swing with wedges. I was able to take enough off the UW to hit that distance. Just a nice easy swing did the trick.

No chipping area at this range which is a bummer. Want to get more chip time with the UW.

Oregon Golfer, thanks for your quick reply and good advice, and your kindness in welcoming me to THP.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the clubfitter since I had the fitting done by the Ping Fitting Van on their visit to my area. I was simply not prepared to ask the right questions during the fitting since it was early in my re-introduction into golf after the long lay off, and I had never experienced a fitting before. I really wish I could have interaction with this particular fitter again because he really seemed knowlegable and was very nice person to boot. Thanks for addressing my concern about increasing the lofts relative to the bounce.

New questions to the forum at large please...

Has anyone increased their loft by 1/2 club strong? The Ping fitter felt the ball flight was too high, so he recommended increasing the i20 loft by 1/2 club strong, and also changing the swing weight to D1.

If anyone has increased their loft by 1/2 club strong, please describe why (were you trying to lower ball flight, increase distance, etc), and did you acheive your desired goal.

Since I don't have access to the fitter again, and am just getting back into the game, I'm hesitant to order new clubs with these adjustments without more insight. Boy, this fitting process is a whole new challenge to me.

Thanks.

I wouldn't bend any iron that much. You'll greatly effect how the club plays off grass (less/more bounce). Decreasing your ball height by decreasing/increasing the loft of the club seems a pretty lazy way for a fitter to fit you.

Hey, Jman, Griff & GD, I noticed throughout the thread that you guys have played both the Scor & Ping Tour S or i20 wedges, do you guys prefer one over the other? I currently have a 53* Scor and want to upgrade my Vokey 58* (about 4 yo) b/c it can't compare to the turf interaction I get with the Scor, not sure if its age/wear of the club or the Scor tech is just that good. Could you guys give me your thoughts on which wedges you like better especially at 58*? .

Other guys feel free to chime in.

BTW, these i20 irons are awesome. No matter where I drive the ball, the irons come to my rescue!!!

Thanks

There have been times I've missed the SCORs. Bunkers primarily. I could definitely have SCORs and i20s in the bag and probably wouldn't remove the i20 9I for a SCOR. It's been something I've avoided thinking about because like Jman, I want to stay focused on the i20s.

I've had success with both the SCORs and i20 wedges so it's a tough call. Having at least one SCOR will probably be a requirement for me outside testing.

Good lawd were these irons on fire today. Played in a scramble with my brother at a luscious course back home. Probably the tightest bent grass fairways I've played on so ball first contact was a must. i20's didn't disappoint. Par 71 course which featured 5 par 3's. I hit a 5iron (189 to the stick), PW (137 yards), 8iron (157 yards), 9iron (147 yards), and 6iron (172 yards) to each location. We used my shot on every par 3, including my near ace on the Par 3 2nd hole (9iron). I just have a ridiculous amount of confidence in these irons right now.

Sounds like a great round with them TC. How far off was the "near ace"?

Good lawd were these irons on fire today. Played in a scramble with my brother at a luscious course back home. Probably the tightest bent grass fairways I've played on so ball first contact was a must. i20's didn't disappoint. Par 71 course which featured 5 par 3's. I hit a 5iron (189 to the stick), PW (137 yards), 8iron (157 yards), 9iron (147 yards), and 6iron (172 yards) to each location. We used my shot on every par 3, including my near ace on the Par 3 2nd hole (9iron). I just have a ridiculous amount of confidence in these irons right now.

You really are just kicking ass with these it seems TC. They just OOZE confidence IMO. Love it dude.

Sounds like a great round with them TC. How far off was the "near ace"?

Maybe 4 inches. Dude, my heart was pounding. I screamed some obscenities when the ball landed. It was all over the stick. There was a group on the tee box, which is just left of that green. They said it hit about a foot short of the flag, hopped and just stopped. If it would have rolled out, it was in.

You really are just kicking ass with these it seems TC. They just OOZE confidence IMO. Love it dude.

Yeah dude. Iron play is definitely my strong suit and these just flat out work for me for some odd reason. I've been trying to want to draw them a little bit but have just been hitting straight balls. I kind of gave up on "working'' them left and right and have just been focusing on straight balls. I can effectively flight them higher or lower though.

Shipped mine back to PING today b/c of finish issue. Will keep you posted. Mizzy's will be traveling to the Outing.

Nice job TC! I can't wait for these to show up!

Congrats on the near ace! Sounds like your iron game is spot on with these clubs. I don't generally ponder Ping irons, but with all the great reviews on this thread, I'd be crazy not to try them out.

Glad to hear these are working for you TC. Sorry for the near miss Ace. Bet you will drop one soon.

Maybe 4 inches. Dude, my heart was pounding. I screamed some obscenities when the ball landed. It was all over the stick. There was a group on the tee box, which is just left of that green. They said it hit about a foot short of the flag, hopped and just stopped. If it would have rolled out, it was in.

What a great feeling that is! Next time it's in the bottom of the cup.

Yeah dude. Iron play is definitely my strong suit and these just flat out work for me for some odd reason. I've been trying to want to draw them a little bit but have just been hitting straight balls. I kind of gave up on "working'' them left and right and have just been focusing on straight balls. I can effectively flight them higher or lower though.

I kind of see the same thing, TC, with regards to flight. If I set up and aim to move the ball from right to left I can do it as much as I please. However, my old stock shot, the 10-15 yard draw that I always had to start out way right has become just a hint of movement. Like straight flight the whole way there and right before the start of decent the ball just kind of "skootches" to the left a bit. Very predictable and I appreciate it.

I kind of see the same thing, TC, with regards to flight. If I set up and aim to move the ball from right to left I can do it as much as I please. However, my old stock shot, the 10-15 yard draw that I always had to start out way right has become just a hint of movement. Like straight flight the whole way there and right before the start of decent the ball just kind of "skootches" to the left a bit. Very predictable and I appreciate it.

what are you in town for?

Looks good. Then again anything orange looks good. I'm a Vol's fan.

How are the sticks treating you BTW?

Weeeeeeeeell, round got pushed to today. My gma had surgery on her ankle over the weekend (2 plates, 9 screws) and yesterday was a bad day.

Wind has settled today to about 8 mph and its a high of 75. It's on. Oh it's on.

Bummer - hope gma is recovering well, man.

8 mph and 75* is THE perfect day in OK isn't it?

Weeeeeeeeell, round got pushed to today. My gma had surgery on her ankle over the weekend (2 plates, 9 screws) and yesterday was a bad day.

Wind has settled today to about 8 mph and its a high of 75. It's on. Oh it's on.

Bummer - hope gma is recovering well, man.

8 mph and 75* is THE perfect day in OK isn't it?

She's getting there, even at 72 she is a true GO'er. so 4-6 weeks with no weight bearing in hopes of getting a walking boot is going to be really trying for her.

It is a really nice day for sure, hopefully we don't get the 117*'s with no wind this summer. Its nice to have the course empty, but the threat of heat stroke...not so much LOL

Okay, I pulled the club out of its lodged position and re-ordered, 3-PW i20, Tour S 52, 56 all with CFS S, Blue lie. Thank goodness for the advice of THP folks and a patient PGA pro. I must have driven this one a bit crazy but he stuck with me without flinching. The downside of all this great info on THP is finding a way to process it to make an informed decision. It's sure not life and death but buying new clubs after 20 years of Eye2s is traumatic. I'm stoked now that it's done. Thanks all who lent me your ears and offered advice.

I wouldn't bend any iron that much. You'll greatly effect how the club plays off grass (less/more bounce). Decreasing your ball height by decreasing/increasing the loft of the club seems a pretty lazy way for a fitter to fit you.

Griff, thanks for the input. You validated my concern about making the clubs 1/2 club loft stronger. I feel I hit both the CFS shaft and the KBS Tour shaft too high, and don't understand enough about shaft options to go from here. The Mizuno shaft optimizer puts me in a regular flex. I've been reading in different forums that some think the CFS shaft is a little "weak" whereby a Stiff flex is really more like a Regular flex, etc. Does anyone have an opinion on that thought? I'll go try the CFS stiff flex and compare that with the regular to see if that helps with the high ball flight.

Okay, I pulled the club out of its lodged position and re-ordered, 3-PW i20, Tour S 52, 56 all with CFS S, Blue lie. Thank goodness for the advice of THP folks and a patient PGA pro. I must have driven this one a bit crazy but he stuck with me without flinching. The downside of all this great info on THP is finding a way to process it to make an informed decision. It's sure not life and death but buying new clubs after 20 years of Eye2s is traumatic. I'm stoked now that it's done. Thanks all who lent me your ears and offered advice.

JPaul, congrats on the order! I believe you on the trauma of moving on after 20 years, but I really think you are going to love these.

Griff, thanks for the input. You validated my concern about making the clubs 1/2 club loft stronger. I feel I hit both the CFS shaft and the KBS Tour shaft too high, and don't understand enough about shaft options to go from here. The Mizuno shaft optimizer puts me in a regular flex. I've been reading in different forums that some think the CFS shaft is a little "weak" whereby a Stiff flex is really more like a Regular flex, etc. Does anyone have an opinion on that thought? I'll go try the CFS stiff flex and compare that with the regular to see if that helps with the high ball flight.

I would disagree with this. I don't find the CFS Stiff to be weak at all. On my past set of clubs(Nike PC) I was playing the X100 shafts. I hit those great but would end of getting penalized when I was tired. With the CFS Stiff shaft, I am able to swing as hard as I want without fear of having too weak of a shaft. Plus with less weight I seem to be less fatigued at the end of the round.

And Ping must have been listening. My irons showed up at Golfsmith today. Hoping all was successful!

Back