Practice Facility at Home

Custom Method

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody has their own practice facility at their home. After playing the Tiger Woods Legacy Mode on TGPT13 I want to make my own little practice facility. something two little shortly mowed areas at 50, 100, and 150 yards with flags. I would also like to make some kind of sandbox to hit out of also but not sure how I could do this without actually making a bunker without having to bring in a sandbox anytime it may rain. I have a large yard where I could easily do this. (parents permitting of course). I could actually go to 200yds seeing as to my driveway (it curves of to the side) is like 230 yds. Does anybody have something like this? How about practice greens? I know there is no way I could afford a synthetic so I would probably mow a short area of grass (fairway length) to hit sand shots but then I feel like it would be hard to maintain such short grass...what do you guys have? What ideas have you thought of?

Sorry for the rambled thoughts...

No I don't have my own practice field, it's way too expensive. I find it much easier to drive to my local neighborhood course and use their practice field. For me it's convenient, 5 minutes away and they absorb the maintenance costs! Also the golf team has their own "aggie Land" which is a small practice field for 200 yard approach shots with a few bunkers, greens and huge trash can full of balls.

I do have some friends that have a synthetic putting green in the back but that's about as practical as can be without getting too expensive.

I was just planning on mowing some shorter areas of grass and putting flags up. And maybe designing some sort of bunker thing

Do you have good, well maintained grass there? If it's crappy weedy grass it would be more difficult. For sand you could do a 10x10 sandbox with a tarp to cover it. Maybe I could help ya with this little project and you could let me use it free.

Biggest hassle is retrieving the balls. Do you have neighbors with little kids?

Nobody ever plays on the course I play at, which means I can go out there whenever I want, choose a hole, and practice all day if I want to. From a cost, maintenance, and time standpoint, you may be better off at a local driving range, or with a hitting net.

If you do make this practice field, be sure to keep us posted on it.

~Rock

Nobody ever plays on the course I play at, which means I can go out there whenever I want, choose a hole, and practice all day if I want to. From a cost, maintenance, and time standpoint, you may be better off at a local driving range, or with a hitting net.

If you do make this practice field, be sure to keep us posted on it.

~Rock

Well a driving range you have to pay for all of the balls every time. The range I go to is 5 bucks for 55 balls. If it costs you 100 bucks to make the thing, that's 20 range visits of 55 balls. But, you could go to a course and get 200 balls from the water and have 4x the range balls to use. If you use 500 a week, you've paid off the range balls in 2 weeks. Now you have to pay for fertilizer and gas for the mower, plus the time to retrieve and clean the balls, but since it's unlimited balls it's still going to be cheaper than the range by a lot in the long run.

Well a driving range you have to pay for all of the balls every time. The range I go to is 5 bucks for 55 balls. If it costs you 100 bucks to make the thing, that's 20 range visits of 55 balls. But, you could go to a course and get 200 balls from the water and have 4x the range balls to use. If you use 500 a week, you've paid off the range balls in 2 weeks. Now you have to pay for fertilizer and gas for the mower, plus the time to retrieve and clean the balls, but since it's unlimited balls it's still going to be cheaper than the range by a lot in the long run.

It depends on how much your time is worth. Not sure if you have seen much of this or not, but caring for a practice facility can take a TON of work. Between mowing, raking, cleaning, fertalizing, etc it would be a full time job to have a nice facility with real grass and a real bunker in one's backyard.

I have a membership to a course but their range isn't that nice and it's a 10 min drive and since I can't drive I can't go there whenever I want. Also their isn't any sand to hit out of... I am just looking for convience....

I say go for it. It doesn't have to be anything super nice and expensive to maintain to be good enough to help improve your game.
My wife and I purchased 37 acres of land this past winter and plan to build a house in the next year or two.
While that is going on, I hope to clear off a big enough area to do a little practicing myself.
I've already got a big zero turn mower, so mowing the area won't be a problem.

I was just planning on mowing some shorter areas of grass and putting flags up. And maybe designing some sort of bunker thing

That would be really awesome!

I have a membership to a course but their range isn't that nice and it's a 10 min drive and since I can't drive I can't go there whenever I want. Also their isn't any sand to hit out of... I am just looking for convience....

When do you get your license? In that case I think it might be better to go with just a bunker.

Back