PING Golf Bag Forum Testing Thread

I played in a 27 hole welcome back event yesterday and grabbed a snap of how the Ping 4 Series looks on the back of a cart with another bag present. My 4 Series is on the left and that is a Ping Hoofer C-1 next to it on the right. The 4 Series continues to perform well on the cart without really slipping down or moving around so much. The carts were stuck on the paths all day from all the rain we've had lately, so having the stand bag came in handy when I needed to 'venture' across the course to find my ball miles away from the path.

IMAG0167.jpg

I walked 18 of my 36 holes yesterday and the 4 Series just flat out continues to be awesome to carry. The weather here is perfect right now so I talked my buddies into walking our morning round. I was a bit worried that I would wear myself out for the afternoon round by walking, but did it anyways. This thing is so light that I was perfectly refreshed during the afternoon round. My buddies used various pull carts, while I carried. I did empty out my abundance of golf balls from the large ball pocket and some other non essentials so that helped a bit.

I can't say it enough, I recommend this bag to anyone who likes to carry and doesn't need to carry a ton of extra gear in the bag.

Excellent work ddxu! Not sure if this comparison has been made, but have you any experience with the Sun Mountain 3/5? I use it now and can't imagine anything better. One thing I would like to improve, like all bags like this, is grip tangle. It's not a big bother on the SM, still...

I'm sure you've mentioned grip tangle, just checkin :D

Also, Omikey I love your detailed thoughts in here!

Excellent work ddxu! Not sure if this comparison has been made, but have you any experience with the Sun Mountain 3/5? I use it now and can't imagine anything better. One thing I would like to improve, like all bags like this, is grip tangle. It's not a big bother on the SM, still...

I have never used the Sun Mtn 3 or 5, but will check my local group to see if any of them have one.

Thanks Griff, All tester appreciate the feedback.

Testing this bag was a lot of FUN and work at the same time. I am fortunate to have been chosen as one of the tester.
Appreciate the opportunity that Ping Golf and THP gave us to ck out such fine equipment.

I've been out of the country for the last week but spent enough time at home last night to pack up the 4 Series into my travel case. We are headed back to the airport early this morning for a weekend long golf / bachelor party. I mentioned it a few times in the thread, but packing a carry bag in my BagBoy T-10 is so darn easy. The new hard plastic top handle makes it even easier.

Last edited:
I would say the Hoofer certainly repels a lot of the water it encounters, but it is not truly waterproof, no.
these look like good bags, are they waterproof?

Ping Pioneer - Cart Bag

Water proof ??

Not certain ..... I have had the bag in play in rain, several times.

Not the worst rain that I've ever been in. What I can tell you is that the rain that I have been in, HAS NOT penetrated into the bag. All of my contents have remained dry.

Let me also share this. I walk, and have a ClicGear cart, and an umbrella which covers 'most' of the bag. I'm SURE that this helps in keeping every thing dry.

The Pioneer bag does have one pocket with a waterproof zipper on it..... this 'leads me to believe' that the outside of of the bag, at least in this area, must also be waterproof, ..... if not, why go to the expense of putting a waterproof zipper on the pocket .....

OVERALL I am very PLEASED, surprised, and IMPRESSED that NONE of my gear inside the bag has gotten wet in what rain I have played in.

these look like good bags, are they waterproof?

The 4 Series is not waterproof, but it does is have a waterproof valuables pocket. It does include a great rain hood and easily accessible umbrella slot.

Last edited:
A friend is using my 4 Series this weekend for a sectional event where they are asked to walk. He's been a die hard Titleist Stand bag guy, so I'll be interested to hear his thoughts. Will post them here early next week.

A friend is using my 4 Series this weekend for a sectional event where they are asked to walk. He's been a die hard Titleist Stand bag guy, so I'll be interested to hear his thoughts. Will post them here early next week.

Isn't the Titleist just a rebranded Sun Mountain bag?

Isn't the Titleist just a rebranded Sun Mountain bag?

I do not know the answer to that one.

But my buddy did really like his 3 rounds with my 4 Under (sorry to just post this now, life got in the way). He said he was shocked at how easy the strap was to adjust and tweak for the best fit. Those snaps on the shoulder straps is where the small tweaks are made and they make it a breeze. He mentioned the lack of storage for extra towels / apparel, but luckily the rain stayed away so it didnt affect his rounds. Ironically, he dropped his divot tool down the top and was able to get it out easily using the idiot zipper I talked about several posts ago.

I need to switch from the Ping 4 Series back to the Hoofer for the THP Outing and Demo Day. Just not enough extra storage to fit a rain suit in the 4 Series.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input you guys have put in on these bags.

Consider me a convert.

My Hoofer is on order.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input you guys have put in on these bags.

Consider me a convert.

My Hoofer is on order.

Welcome to THP and thanks for the post. What bag are you moving over from? Keep us updated with your experiences.

I would say the Hoofer certainly repels a lot of the water it encounters, but it is not truly waterproof, no.

I actually came to do an update on my 2011 model 4 under that addresses this.

No, it is not. I also find the rain hood unnecessarily fussy and too tight with a longer driver in it.

My previous bag was an Izzo, and the oversize rain hood allowed you to stuff an extra towel up on top for easy access when the frequent Seattle rains came. That's not really an option with this bag.

That's my only complaint that wasn't self inflicted. The bag itself is really small, and in retrospect I should have have gone with a slightly larger bag. The problem is it's hard to carry a full rain suit in it.

Still, it's very light, the strap system is really good for those of us that carry on one shoulder most of the time, and the leg system works really well.

All in all pleased with it.

I miss omikey.

Hi All

I have recently purchased a 2012 Pioneer Bag and 33pages is a tuff read.

I just wanted to know if the testers came across a good way to organize the clubs in the bag ?

I started out with the way I used to organize my old bag (albeit with less dividers and a different trolley) and it doesn't work very well with the new Bag/Trolley combination.

The Clubs either get in the way of each other or in the way of accessing the cart drinks holder/ umbrella holder.

Any help appreciated

Martin

Hi All

I have recently purchased a 2012 Pioneer Bag and 33pages is a tuff read.

I just wanted to know if the testers came across a good way to organize the clubs in the bag ?

I started out with the way I used to organize my old bag (albeit with less dividers and a different trolley) and it doesn't work very well with the new Bag/Trolley combination.

The Clubs either get in the way of each other or in the way of accessing the cart drinks holder/ umbrella holder.

Any help appreciated

Martin

Further to my previous post , here are some pictures of my setup , where is omikey ?

Looks the part with Red Trolley matching up with inferno red piping on the bag

martins104.jpg

As You can see access to the clubs a little awkward and when you reverse the Clubs driver and woods block access to the the drinks holder and umbrella holder.

martins105.jpg

This bit is pretty neat with the trolley bottom mount being perfect to slot the Ping bag onto and stop the bag twisting

martins106.jpg

Martin: No idea where he is. Hopefully somebody else who has used the bag can help you out.

With my recent change to Ping i20's after playing blades for years, I am now officially into a full mid-life crisis. I got myself a pushcart for the first time and decided to also get myself a cart bag from my Sun Mountain 3.5. Should be no time until I have a bag full of nothing but woods and hybrids and start rocking a Noodle ball.

Thanks to all the great info on here helping me make my selection on the cart bag. Especially Omikey. Picked myself up a Ping Pioneer bag. Someone on here commented on a deal through Games People Play golf and I checked it out. Great deal on there, especially if you sign up for all their social media stuff for an additional $25 credit. Got a black one (cheaper than the others for some reason) for $120 total. These bags are $199 plus 12% sales tax where I live, so pretty good deal. Cheers!

Great buy, my friend! My bag is still going strong, as good as the day it got here.
With my recent change to Ping i20's after playing blades for years, I am now officially into a full mid-life crisis. I got myself a pushcart for the first time and decided to also get myself a cart bag from my Sun Mountain 3.5. Should be no time until I have a bag full of nothing but woods and hybrids and start rocking a Noodle ball.

Thanks to all the great info on here helping me make my selection on the cart bag. Especially Omikey. Picked myself up a Ping Pioneer bag. Someone on here commented on a deal through Games People Play golf and I checked it out. Great deal on there, especially if you sign up for all their social media stuff for an additional $25 credit. Got a black one (cheaper than the others for some reason) for $120 total. These bags are $199 plus 12% sales tax where I live, so pretty good deal. Cheers!

Hi All , great to see others making a great choice in getting the Ping Pioneer bag I absolutely love mine.
I have now got a better setup in the bag too . Its a bit like my picture above but I have reversed the order so I start with the driver Back left working down in size across the bag from left to right. I leave the gap in the dividers between my 6H and 7iron and this has made my Irons/wedges more accesable and also the cart accessories are more accessable.
I also try and park up my trolley to left of the ball when playing (very rare I go down the left side of a fairway or in left rough anyway ;) ) so with this arrangement I genrally access the bag from the right side and its easy to get the clubs in and out.

I will get some pictures next time im out.

Back