Stumped on what pass to get

Madhavok

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a few options:
The multi-resort corporation I work for allows employees from other resorts to purchase a season pass for $525 with unlimited play at two top level courses. There is a catch: none of my golf friends go there and it's standby only and after 10 am. That price includes cart and range access the day you play.

The other option is the course I worked at last summer and it has two punch passes: 20 rounds of 9 (ten 18s) for $420; keep in mind peak season fees are $120 - or a punch pass with 10 rounds of nine for $265. After the punches are used up, you get a preferred rate of $21/9 and $26/9 respectively. Pros on this are my friends play and work here and I know the courses well. However, having said that, my friends are better than me and I think are more interested in their weekly money games than having a fun round here and there with me.

So - do I go the unlimited route and just play solo and with random people - something that sort of makes me nervous unfortunately. Or, go with the punch pass route?

I'm torn.
Thanks THP!

Personally I would go the unlimited route. Great golf friends would come play with you once in a while, and meeting new golf friends is easier than one may think.

However, having said that, my friends are better than me and I think are more interested in their weekly money games than having a fun round here and there with me.
Thanks THP!
I think you just answered your own question. If they were good friends and everyone enjoyed playing with each other I would say stick with your friends for the summer. But sounds like that is not the case. Go try something different and work on your game then.

I did forget about my other friend who is probably around the same handicap, maybe higher, but I'm not sure how much he'll want to play this summer as he is heavily into road biking. I have two months off from work with one week going to NY to play and see my sister graduate and I know weekends after that will be busy potentially. Drive to the other course is about 20-25 minutes if that helps with anything.
Still torn.

I would go with the unlimited plan, but I am a golf course ho and like to play at as many places as I can. It sounds like you would be able to get your moneys worth in those two months. I very rarely play with the same people and I really love that. It is fun to meet new people and play new courses. What courses are out your way? I am looking at moving to Colorado and would love to hear more about the courses. Good luck with your decision.

Another vote for the unlimited plan. It is unlimited golf over the course of the entire summer. You get to play multiple courses. You don't become obligated to recreate where you work (definite downer in my book).

I think you just answered your own question. If they were good friends and everyone enjoyed playing with each other I would say stick with your friends for the summer. But sounds like that is not the case. Go try something different and work on your game then.

Agreed. I'm sure I could get a round or two in with them, but they golf with some of our other mutual friends who are all pretty solid and I feel I get overlooked because of my handicap and I don't play from the tips. I already feel out of the loops, sadly. It hasn't been brought up, 'oh hey Madhavok, def get the pass and we'll get once a week or so'.

I'd also be fine to play that course solo or pair up with people I suppose. Just more familiar I guess. Still debating.

Unlimited Golf

Also playing unlimited is way more beneficial than you think. I did unlimited golf for a few months and this is where my game improved, I realized that i'm a player, not a practicer here and the on course experiences that I learned where valuable. It's one thing to hit some nice shots at the range but to hone your skill by playing as much as you can helps you adapt to any situation and also playing with random people really helped me make some great golf friends. you will be surprised how much you will improve and when you come back to play those courses with your friends, you will have a huge home advantage since you will know how to play the holes effectively.

Go unlimited. Last year I got an unlimited pass and didn't know a soul. I've come to have meet at least a hundred people playing with them in just over a year. Do they have a members only time? My course is after 5 PM on fridays members only. That's the time to meet people.

No brainer. Go unlimited and make new golf friends

I'd get the unlimited one for a couple reasons. You work there and they will appreciate your taking advantage of the option. Secondly, it sounds like a much better deal especially knowing you can play 9, 18, or 36 without breaking open the wallet after the initial cost.

Back