To Save My Sanity, I Am Walking Away From Playing Golf For Two Weeks

I'd just chill. Go out and just have fun. Who cares what you shoot. After a while of that start keeping score again.

I'd just chill. Go out and just have fun. Who cares what you shoot. After a while of that start keeping score again.

For me that's way too hard to do. I'm too competitive to not keep score even when I go on a run of bad rounds.

That sucks, Jeff. Hope you clear your head in the next couple weeks and come back strong.

I am the opposite at the moment, and I am trying to make excuses why I need to keep playing! I feel like a personal best is on the horizon and just down the road, maybe even a 79.

Maybe during your break from real golf you could get into a couple of scrambles with some co-workers or friends. I always have the most fun at those, just like the rounds at the outing will be mostly for fun and cameraderie.

Good luck Jeff, we've all been there.

Save your sanity and get a lesson. It won't only get you back to where you were, but put you further ahead.

Thainer dropping a logic bomb.

Lesson up dude.. instructors are much better at resolving these things.

Who knows, maybe it's a couple of really simple issues..

Thainer dropping a logic bomb.

Lesson up dude.. instructors are much better at resolving these things.

Who knows, maybe it's a couple of really simple issues..

This, this, this. I'm continually amazed at how people are willing to watch a video, talk to a friend, take advice from a total stranger, read about some new theory, etc., but are completely hesitant to get actual help from a trained professional. Take a break, get your sanity back, get some help then have some fun!

Take it easy for a week or two, I was having a huge problem all year buying all new equipment and trying a new swing and it all clicked in my 2nd year every playing i just shot 5 over on 18 last week and 9 over yesterday. I found the key to my new success was really not to care and relax and just swing without care. Honestly that sounds dumb but it has done wonders for my game i just try and relax my shoulders and make sure my backswing is really really slow with my hips turning to the finnish really quick and its done wonders.

And I've only had lessons twice, and they changed everything for me.

This, this, this. I'm continually amazed at how people are willing to watch a video, talk to a friend, take advice from a total stranger, read about some new theory, etc., but are completely hesitant to get actual help from a trained professional. Take a break, get your sanity back, get some help then have some fun!

Well, in mine and many others defense, and as previously stated by me in this post, sometimes lessons just don't fit the financial bill at the time or aren't as assessable to some as they are in other areas (Both true in my case). And truth be told, aren't the magic bullet they are made out to be. Lessons for me would consist of driving an hour south, forking over the high cost of the hour long or less lesson, and a drive an hour north to home. Better golf logic? Sure, it makes perfect sense and would probably help to some degree. Financially and time demands to do so suggest otherwise.

Well, in mine and many others defense, and as previously stated by me in this post, sometimes lessons just don't fit the financial bill at the time or aren't as assessable to some as they are in other areas (Both true in my case). And truth be told, aren't the magic bullet they are made out to be. Lessons for me would consist of driving an hour south, forking over the high cost of the hour long or less lesson, and a drive an hour north to home. Better golf logic? Sure, it makes perfect sense and would probably help to some degree. Financially and time demands to do so suggest otherwise.

Why not take a swing vid and see if the awesome folks in the GolfTec section can help?

Why not take a swing vid and see if the awesome folks in the GolfTec section can help?

That's the plan and why Kelly offered up to video for me. I have some older video, but it really doesn't relate to the problems I am having now.

If its not in the cards its not in the cards. I was recently going through the same thing you are. After getting my handicap down to a 8.5, my game fell apart, I was busting past 90 just about everytime I hit the course. I got so frustrated I was sitting in the same place. I went in for a lesson, and my instructor had me fixed in 3 minutes. It was ridiculous. I had gone through every tip I had ever worked on trying to figure out where the problem was coming into play, and it turned out, it was an easy fix. I have shot my best two rounds in a month since then, and my game is finally ehaded back in the right direction.

If you can't take a lesson, maybe at least post some video's in the ask the pro section.

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. I understand what you are saying.

She is going to video me on her day off next week, so it will be Wednesday, at the earliest, I am able to get some video posted.

That's the plan and why Kelly offered up to video for me. I have some older video, but it really doesn't relate to the problems I am having now.

Right on buddy, I feel for you. Nothing worse than getting a kink in the game.

I am looking forward to hearing how your break works out for you.. Hopefully THP will be enough 'golf' to hold you over.

She is going to video me on her day off next week, so it will be Wednesday, at the earliest, I am able to get some video posted.

This is great. It is hard enough to improve when you 100% know what you are doing wrong and what you need to do to fix it. It is impossible if you are an average player and trying to self diagnose/self correct. Getting some eyes on your swing via video is a solid plan. Good luck.

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. I understand what you are saying.

No prob, man!

If I can get the driver back under control, I will be happy. My confidence hinges entirely on the driver, for whatever reason. If I am spraying it all over the course, it just saps me, from tee 1 to tee 18. What's bad, is I am hitting the driver in the sweet spot damn never every freaking time, I am just yanking it straight left. I don't know if it's grip, ball position, set up, what. I have never had to deal with a pull or hook, so I don't know what to do to correct it.

I have actually been pretty happy with my iron play. Not perfect, but I am striking the ball much better and I always say, I don't care what the outcome is, as long as I am striking the ball well. That to me, is the most important aspect of the battle. I am going back to my three wedge set up, which I dumped earlier in the year to carry a #2 hybrid (which I am actually still keeping in the bag because certain shots call for it and I like it off the tee in a lot of instances). I think that is where a lot of my frustration in my short game is coming from. Having to be pin point perfect with a club I am not used to (54* for 100 yards and in, instead of the 58* I had typically used).

Just a few things I am going to tinker with over the next couple of weeks, before I take it to the course, where it gets real.

Hopefully during your break you develop that "want" to play again, and things get to working a bit better. I know how frustrating it is to have sucky rounds...

Oh, I'll be back. I could never quit this game. Just putting myself in a timeout from trying so damn hard. A self imposed penalty. 2 week penalty.

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

Man, I've walked that line - although admittedly, I've never been as low of a shooter as you, and I know that changes perception. When I've gone through those periods, my first return rounds are always at the little Par3 9 hole I learned to play at. No scores, just a buddy or three, laughing and having a goodtime. Until then, enjoy that extra free time with your better half!

Obviously as others have stated, getting someone to take a look and perhaps get you back on track is essential. It also seems like you are too hard on yourself and think way too much. I know the feeling of really wanting to succeed and how if you are too hard on yourself, all you really do is just take yourself out of the game. free your mind and get back to the main thing, golf is fun. It's like the old fisherman's saying, "the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work". Enjoy it, no matter the results.

The other thing is don't introduce new variables (new equipment), try and get good and solid with what you have. The game is simply hard enough without a steady rotation of new things to get used to. IMO of course.

dude i feel your pain... the problem is that you are a perfectionist and your competitive fire is only burning yourself up. i am the same way. when i first took up the game i was immediately a "student of the game" .

sometimes a break is the best thing to do... i saw a mention in one of your posts about an iphone, theres an app called swing reader that you can download for free. long story short.. i had the shanks wicked bad until i downloaded this app and realized i was standing too upright and lifting up out of my swing. after i saw it on video i flexed my knees a bit ,fixed my posture and stopped shanking it.

Hit the range today. Not enamored, but there was enough good out there to keep me from going on a statewide killing spree. Got about 30 videos of driver, 6i and SW to look at. Used Nikes new 360 app with the GF doing the shooting from a Florida Gators folding chair. I really like the app, BTW. Will upload some videos later on.

I grabbed a screen shot of me delivering the head to my ball. This particular swing, I absolutely nutted the ball. Straight and very long. Is the shaft bend supposed to be that dramatic at this point in the down swing? I thought it was odd, but I hit an absolute bomb of a drive. Like I said, I will get more into detail once I can sit down and look at them all.

BTW, it felt good to be out there pounding golf balls.

View attachment 4615

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

glad to hear you are back at it Jeff

The shaft bend is an artefact of the way the camera scans from top to bottom. The shaft doesn't really bend like that.

Back