Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I played 9 again yesterday, this is the first time I have repeated a course so I was interested to see how I did. Last time on this course I had a terrible day, even for me, and shot a 69. This time I shot a 60 so the improvement in about a month is nice to see. I really struggled with shots in bad lies as I obviously don't practice those on the driving range, any suggestions for getting better at shots in tall grass or dramatic slopes or both? I was not striking the ball well off the tee or in general, so it was good to see my score improve despite that. I am still playing worse than double bogey, but I did put together two bogeys that didn't really require any heroics just no real mistakes. I was putting really well today I made a couple 10-15 foot putts and left myself several less than 3 foot second putts, I only had 2 three putts, so it was more a struggle to get on the green than to get in the hole today. I also played without the 3 or 5 wood as I have not been hitting them well at all (I still used driver as I hit it better, its a nicer club and far more forgiving) I think this helped. I think I will try the next round without any woods and see if that helps. I am going to focus my practice on full shots with 5-8 irons off the deck and tee between now and my next round as that was my weakness.

So today I started at 4:00 pm hoping to get at least 9 in before I had to go back. I shot 48 on the front with a triple bogey on a par five due to a horrible approach shot. Then I go to get in 3 holes on the back where I shot par par par. All had a chance for putting for birdie. So I think I am well on my way!

So today I started at 4:00 pm hoping to get at least 9 in before I had to go back. I shot 48 on the front with a triple bogey on a par five due to a horrible approach shot. Then I go to get in 3 holes on the back where I shot par par par. All had a chance for putting for birdie. So I think I am well on my way!
sounds like you are. keep it up and dont let bad holes mess up your mindset.

I get to make an appearance in this thread! Shot 52-45 today for my first ever round under 100. Lessons and practice are starting to pay off. Left at least 5 shots out there with some horrific putts...5 feet short on a 10 foot birdie putt...really? Feeling the pressure much? But it was still a great day in my game progress and I hope to be in the 90's consistently by season end!

Thats my goal this year also, no shame in it. I havent played a round in about a year. (New baby at home) The last round I played I shot a 102

I played a quick 9 last week and shot a 54!

I had 3 each triple, double, and single boeys, so no real blow-up holes, and the only two holes I used driver I got bogeys (the other was a par 3 that I had a good shot at par, like 7 ft putt), so I am seeing steady progress. The work on my long irons off the deck is paying off I am very consistant with the 5-iron right now from about 160, but unfortuneatley I do not have anything else longer than that to hit that I feel comfortable with (FW are really bad and I am not getting better with them even with practice) other than driver (which has gotten better with practice).

I went to a Nike demo and really like the VRS hybrid I was much more consistant with it than I have been with my FW or 4-iron and I actually got the ball in the air, but it is too pricey for me. So I need to go demo some used older hybrids that I can justify spending money on, and find one or two that I can use on the deck for longer shots, off the tee with more accuracy than driver, I really think it cost me about 5 strokes being so far out off the tee or not being able to get closer to the green, especially on the par 5s where it takes like 4 good swings to get to the green.

I need to keep working on my longer clubs off the deck and the 15-30 yard shot for when I miss the green and need to put it close, I get on the green most of the time, but I would really like to have more opurtunities to get up and down instead of pitch and two putt.

Mostly I need to eliminate mistakes I think I have a sub-50 9 holes coming very soon!

The unfortunate thing is with small children I don't get many chances to play 18 (who wants to spend 5 hours away from a 2 year old and a 5 month old?) so it will be a while until I have a real chance to break 100 on 18, I guess once I'm consistantly under 50 then I will consider this conquered and start working on breaking 90 or 45 on 9....

Been far too long since I've contributed to this thread as I haven't played a full 18 over the winter. I've had to rounds this Easter weekend on the same course, a 111 and a 122. Both sound really bad, but I played much better golf than the numbers suggest. I've got 3 main areas that are causing problems, listed in order of importance (1 being the area I need to concentrate most on):-

1) Shots to the green from 60 yds or less. This is killing me and one of the 2 areas where I lose most shots. I've no feel of what type of shot to make, what club to use, how hard to hit it, etc. I either end up short of where I want to be or overcook it through the back of the green

2) Putting:- It's not that I can read breaks or my technique is bad, I just don't have a feel of how hard to hit the ball to make it go the right distance, and that's down to getting more practice in on the practice greens. Like point 1 above, I'll either be well short or punch it too far past if I've got a putt over10 or 15 feet. It's rare that I 2 putt (and admit to having the not so rare 4 putt), so if I can reign that in I know I should be able to claw back at least 18 shots in a round.

3) Iron shots:- I'm a lot more consistent that I used to be, but I've been struggling over the past few weeks with distance. I'm 10 - 20 yds per club from what I know I can hit regularly (for example, 130 yds with a 7 iron instead of my usual 150 yds), and it's because I'm not getting under the ball properly, so I'm not getting any height on the flight, and I seem to have developed a largish draw on the ball (not quite a hook) which is no good on my home course.

Strangely my driving is the one area where I'm hitting consistently well at the moment, although I still get the odd short mishit, or a pull left, so I'm getting good position and distance off the tee.

One example I can give on how my short games hurting me is the 18th on my round on Sunday. 368 yard par 4 where my handicap means I get 2 shots and I'm aiming to get down in 5 shots. Wind is about 20 mph coming in from about the 2 o'clock position (so from the right and into our faces). Tee shot is straight out to 165 yds from the flag (so about 200 yds which is about right for how I'd been hitting the ball all day). On this hole I'd usually take a 7 iron from there to land short and run through (slight downhill run in to the green), but with the wind I decide to go 6 iron. Hit it flush and end up 20 yds short of the green (should have taken the 5!). Select a PW and attempt to do a short swing putt type shot to land it near the edge of the green and let it run through to flag. I end up duffing the shot 10 yds forward, shank the next one right to the short grass near the edge of the green, take out my putter and 4 putt from there. So 2 great long shots that should have meant a par or bogey, ending up instead as a snowman on the card!!!

Went to the driving range last night and have arranged 4 lessons to find out what's happening with my irons, work on my fairway woods, and then look hard at the short game. I'll let you know how I get on.

Had 4 lessons since the last time I posted: 3 loolking at my swing and the last one looking at pitching and chipping. The lessons have been a great help - they showed me that I was standing too close to the ball, that there was no connection between my arms and body, and my swing plane was too steep. I was shown a couple of drills to help me to flatten my swing, and I found that practicing indoors was a big help - if I took away too steep I would touch the roof with my club, and a proper take-away would miss.

Been out a couple of times and played 12 holes on Sunday and 9 holes Monday evening. I was really pleased with my driving both times, but I was hitting a lot of iron shots out of the toe on Sunday while I adjusted to the new stance. I ended up 6 over (net) for 12 holes on Sunday and even par (net) for the nine holes on the Monday. I was really pleased with how I played in both and I'm looking forward to getting out for a full round on Sunday when I can put my chipping and pitching lesson into use.

i'm at HC 36.ugh i hate my short game.

I tried to train and improve, but it's really as inconsistent as ever, with the well struck balls hit a bit better than before. Played 9 holes in an after work cup, and i've literally had more shots around the green than into it.
First hole, par 5, 3rd shot sitting right in front of the green, flag at the back. Hit chip thin, balls now in the steep slope behind the green.
Hit it from there, well struck but too hard. Ball proceeds to run back down to the front end of the green.
3 putts from there, 2nd one stuck to the lip.

Chipping and short pitches continued to be abysmal, 4 more putts would stick right on the lip of holes. except for 2 shots i had to play sideways to get out of trees, all the extras i carded came from thin or fat shots around the green :(
Ended with a 60. (course rates me as 42, 3 over on 9 holes.)

This was the worst round of golf i've played this year. Especially with all those strokes actually being taken. Not a single ball was lost, OB or in the water.
I was so frustrated by the end, i wanted to go play again immediatly - but had university the next day. Welp, ok, then today! Nope, my moms visiting a friend so the cars gone... ARRRGH!

I have broken 100 on occasions but since I don't more than 60% of the time, I put myself in the "trying to break 100" camp especially when it comes to instructions and equipment.
My bag proudly advertises the fact: it often carries nothing but hybrids and niblicks.

Best regards, Hawk

A couple of things that really help short game. 1. don't try shots on the golf course that you haven't practiced. 2. Sand shots are not that hard with a little practice you can become pretty good with the right approach, if you simplify sand shots down to just getting out of the bunker and onto grass somewhere no matter what. Hitting 3 or 4 shots to get out of every bunker you land in can ruin what might be a good day otherwise. 3. Chipping is easier if you use a putting stroke and grip for short chips, not a pitch, but a chip, for anything within 5 - 10 yards of the green where you have to clear some grass before the ball starts rolling on the green. Even if you putt cross handed you can chip this way. It is basically just a lag putt with a wedge or a 9 iron or whatever you feel most comfortable with. The difference between a pitch and a chip? A chip has no wrist break going back. If you pick up the club up on the back stroke and break your wrists at all on that stroke, if the club comes up much past your knees, then that is a pitch shot not a chip. Pitch shots are harder to hit close, harder to judge distance, harder to keep from going all the way across and off the green and much easier to flub entirely than a chip hit with a long putting stroke.

I haven't posted to this thread in a while but I am sad to say that I still haven't broken 100. I'm hoping to do it this golf season and I am getting closer and closer. The last couple of rounds I've gained newfound confidence in my 100 yards and in game. If I can just get to that distance I can take care of business. I've dropped close to 10 strokes since I've been thinking this way and it seems to help.

One thing that has helped me is that I try to give myself "mini-challenges". So for example if I'm playing a par 4 and I'm on my 5th shot but not even on the green yet, I challenge myself to make an up & down. This helps to keep me from getting down on myself b/c I'm already hitting for bogey. Rather it re-focuses you on the task at hand. If you're able to be successful, you feel good about the hole rather than beating yourself up over getting 2 over.

I just barely broke 100 this last month, after a whole month working with the head club pro, my drives have become consistent and I consistently shoot low/mid 90s now, the thing that Is kicking my butt is pitching. I can hit my Irons and woods great but all my short game is sucking bad!!!

I have a problem with hitting too many dumb shots per round, usually these appear within a distance of 70 yards and closer to the hole, I slow down my swing causing a chunk or a 15 yard :wtf: shot. Then of course I get :angry: and I proceed to do it again (or even twice more) before I even get to the green. I am learning to lessen these opportunities each round by utilizing course management and not being driven by my ego and not trying to reach the green when i am still 260 yards out and instead try to position my shots each hole so I can hit the ball from outside the "100 yard zone". I also find myself being too "rigid" in club selection, assuming every shot from a certain distance I must hit with the same club every time instead of being more fluid and hitting the club I am comfortable with. So what if I take a 5 iron out from 60 yards out if I can half swing it and punch it to the green, there is no place on the scorecard for pretty shots, just a score so why should I really care how I get there... just get there (for now).

As for a solution, I feel I simply need to be patient and get more course time. I do not think going to the range is an answer at this time because probably like many of you I am a wonderful range player. :D Everytime I go to the range I am hitting 95% of the balls straight as an arrow, can hit them short or long, hit all the shots, my driver always seems to go straight as well. My goal is to get my Rhino butt out on a golf course every day (or as often as possible) at twilight time. There is a corse near my place that after 4:30 it is $10 to walk. So I can get some excercise in and improve my game at the same time. I might not even keep score, just practice and try to enjoy the game and let it come to me.

White Rhino, you could be exactly describing my game. I've still only broken the century mark once, though I am just now playing again for the first time in 4 years. A couple of 103s and 104s so far this season (and multiple 107+ :arrogant:), so I'm hoping to taste the sweet victory of 99 again soon. My problem is getting on the green. My putting is easily the strongest part of my game, and I've tried to be smart with my hybrid off the tee instead of driver. I'm thinking of going to pick up a Niblick this weekend to help me around the green because the cavity-back wedges that came with my set are not doing the job (arrow not indian). I will also hit a few forged wedges I think, but leaning Niblick right now.

A couple of things that really help short game. 1. don't try shots on the golf course that you haven't practiced. 2. Sand shots are not that hard with a little practice you can become pretty good with the right approach, if you simplify sand shots down to just getting out of the bunker and onto grass somewhere no matter what. Hitting 3 or 4 shots to get out of every bunker you land in can ruin what might be a good day otherwise. 3. Chipping is easier if you use a putting stroke and grip for short chips, not a pitch, but a chip, for anything within 5 - 10 yards of the green where you have to clear some grass before the ball starts rolling on the green. Even if you putt cross handed you can chip this way. It is basically just a lag putt with a wedge or a 9 iron or whatever you feel most comfortable with. The difference between a pitch and a chip? A chip has no wrist break going back. If you pick up the club up on the back stroke and break your wrists at all on that stroke, if the club comes up much past your knees, then that is a pitch shot not a chip. Pitch shots are harder to hit close, harder to judge distance, harder to keep from going all the way across and off the green and much easier to flub entirely than a chip hit with a long putting stroke.

A lot of great information here and thanks for posting that. I agree entirely with the point of trying new things on the course until you've practiced them fully. I played last weekend in our Sunday Stableford and went out in 51 (1 over net), and threw a few shots away by trying what I'd learnt in a chipping lesson without getting enough practice in. Made a mess on the back nine and came back with just 7 points, mainly because I lost focus and went back to my old swing plane and was duffing a lot of iron shots.

Going out tomorrow for a few holes and I'm trying a different ball just out of interest (trying a Callaway Diablo HX instead of my usual Wilson Staff DX2 to see if it makes any difference spin-wise), then out for a full round on Sunday.

I just barely broke 100 this last month, after a whole month working with the head club pro, my drives have become consistent and I consistently shoot low/mid 90s now, the thing that Is kicking my butt is pitching. I can hit my Irons and woods great but all my short game is sucking bad!!!

keep at it buddy. I'm going through some transition myself.

Im trying to break 100 consistently as well. My driving and woods are good. My pitching and chipping is amazing(atleast i think) and my putting is decent. I can't just hit my irons at all.

My goal is to be a sub 100 shooter but it seems like its never gonna happen. Gotta straighten out my drives (losing a lot of balls) and stay away from that darn water!!

Im trying to break 100 consistently as well. My driving and woods are good. My pitching and chipping is amazing(atleast i think) and my putting is decent. I can't just hit my irons at all.

I feel your pain.. I have a hell of time with my irons . Shot a 103 and 101 this season so far so I am guessing I will get there and so will you!!

Sent from my iPhone

I am also trying to break 100 consitently. I am still slicing my driver and sometimes hitting fat iron shots. These are my major problems. But i hope i will be able to break 100 this year as often as possible.

I feel everyone's pain as I have yet to break 100 myself. Slices and occasional fat shots seem to hurt my scores more than anything. Last time out I shout a 102. Ofcourse on the range, I hit crisp irons and nice drives but taking it to the course is HAAAAAARD!

Newbie Here,

110 Sunday. New Course. 6400 yards all hills. Built into a Mountain. Warrenbrook GC in NJ. 19 over on the front with 1 OB. 19 over on the back with 2 OB and 3 in the Water.

I was happy. Just started playing again after 20+ years. When I put it together I've been hitting the ball very well. No Hook or Slice. The challenge is to put it all together.

I've been hitting the driving range almost everyday. I need to find a good place to practice my short game. I spent two nights last week at Golfsmith putting. :embarrassed:

I know I'll see a two diget score soon.

LC

You could also just hit a hybrid.

This is what I've started doing. I get some grief from my buddies, but I'm much more likely to be in the short grass with a hybrid than with driver

Newbie Here,

110 Sunday. New Course. 6400 yards all hills. Built into a Mountain. Warrenbrook GC in NJ. 19 over on the front with 1 OB. 19 over on the back with 2 OB and 3 in the Water.

I was happy. Just started playing again after 20+ years. When I put it together I've been hitting the ball very well. No Hook or Slice. The challenge is to put it all together.

I've been hitting the driving range almost everyday. I need to find a good place to practice my short game. I spent two nights last week at Golfsmith putting. :embarrassed:

I know I'll see a two diget score soon.

LC

You'll do it soon for sure, LC! I've been getting in some nice indoor practice at the PGA Tour Superstore near my house

Its my goal this year shot a 102 last week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back