The SCOR Project - 2012 THP Outing

Congrats DDXU!

Congrats, DDXU!!!!!

I am still in shock that there was an 11 stroke difference, that is huge! And ddxu is a good golfer. I want to do this with JB, I want to play a round with him where we drops a ball with me from 100 yards (that's more realistic for my length) and see the difference with his short game skills to mine. I bet there would be a 20 stroke difference because my short game is atrocious.

DDXU! Congrats!!!

11 strokes is CRAZY!

Congrats DDXU!! Awesome wedges for sure. I know they took a round this morning where I would have shot 110 with any other wedges, and turned into a 97. Glad that Shawn could come down and do this, and I know a whole lot of folks were checking out the SCOR offerings at Demo Day yesterday.

Wow, congrats ddxu. 11 strokes is a lot.

Thanks to THP, Dan ddxu, Lee and Chris chewey for having me! Enjoyed meeting everyone...One-T, adwillingham, mcook7, hawk, Seth and many others.

Great golf course...huge greens and wide open fairways...felt like Scotland. ddxu played well, hits it great off the tee and putts well. Interested to see what replacing his Burner 2.0 PW, GW, SW does for his scoring.

88 on his own ball and 77 with my rusty rusty rusty short game. We missed a bunch of putts inside 5-15 feet.

Great fun...sorry I couldn't stay for 2nd round and tomorrow!

I want to thank Chewie for running our camera today. Post outing we will have some great videos of Shawn and DDXU in action.

I want to thank Chewie for running our camera today. Post outing we will have some great videos of Shawn and DDXU in action.

Awesome, cant wait to see them.

Great job, ddxu. Way to perform well my should've been roommate. Congrats.

Congrats!! Sounds like an awesome experience

Man, you are going to love the SCOR wedges, and they are a great complement to the Burner 2.0s!

11 shots... wow... that's big!

Congrats DDXU im sure ur short game is really gonna improve now

Holy Carp...11 shots is really amazing...I mean from an 88 to a 77 is HUGE!!

Congrats Ddxu!

Tap tappin away

Grand Cypress Resort - Orlando FL
The New Course
Blue Tees - Listed at 6720 yards

I know its been a full day+ since doing the SCOR Challenge with JB and Shawn, but wanted to gather my thoughts and not just post an adrenaline filled rehash last night. I cannot begin to thank Shawn & THP enough for giving us such a great treat and interesting learning experience yesterday. First off, Shawn is a heck of a golfer even though he says he's old & rusty. More than that, he couldn't have been more personable & fun to play a round with. Not once did he try to 'sell' us on why their wedges are better, bash another company's wedges, etc. Not only was he giving us short game tips and options to play shots, he was helping in our long game too. He probably spent 10+ mins on one of the tee boxes helping Lee work on getting his softball swing out of his golf game. Shawn is one heck of a ball striker too. Easily 280-305 straight down the center every single time, thats with the windy New Course (Blue tees) and not much roll in those fairways. It was almost comical how consistently good he was off the tee. He chipped in once for us from about 15 yards short of the green, but we didnt get it on camera.

I was pretty satisfied with an 88 considering how nervous I was for the first 6 holes or so. You will see those nerves easily through the videos where I duff 2 chips. JB played in the group in front of us so I knew we were in trouble when he was dropping putts from all over, but I did not expect him to shoot a 73 either. He couldnt move very well Friday night as Demo Day was winding down, so that 73 was really impressive.

We really had 2 different goals of the SCOR Challenge. The first was to see how big of a difference there is between an average golfer's short game and someone who plays to a scratch handicap. The difference for us was 11 shots. With my long game and Shawn's short game, I would have shot a 77 instead of an 88. The second goal was to see if we could beat JB's total score with my long game and Shawn's short game. We lost by 4 shots.

How the SCOR challenge was scored:
I would play my own ball from the tee until I played my next shot from anywhere from 130 yards or under (full shots, chips, pitches, putts, anything under 130). Once I was ready to play a shot at or under 130 yards, Shawn would throw a ball down next to me and we would both finish out the hole playing our own ball. If I took 4 shots to get <= 130 yards and Shawn took 2 shots, our score would be a 6. If I took 2 shots to get inside 130, and Shawn holed out the next shot, we recorded a 3.

What I learned:
- It is not smart to blindly take a 60* for all shots around the green. I rarely (if ever) use my Burner 2.0 AW or SW for anything around the green. Maybe a long bunker shot if I'm feeling gutsy. Shawn would have 3-4 clubs in his hand everytime I missed the green (which was often)
- Blindly hitting chips and pitches on a practice green isnt really practice, but I need to go through my routine like I am really playing
- Its just as important to read the break in a chip or pitch as it is to read a putt. A 2 foot bounce in the wrong direction makes a big difference in the final result
- 50 yard bunker shots are hard
- I cuss alot, even when I know I'm on camera. I feel ya Tiger.

I hit the SCORs for a good 25 mins during the Demo Day on Friday and I cant wait to get started with my set, I certainly need the help. I saved the scorecard and will post a pic of the scores when I get home. I think Shawn shot a 71 or 72 on his own ball (sorry JB).

Last edited:
Great recap there DDXU and I'm glad you ended up winning the Scor's. Sounds like you guys had a heck of a time. Good luck with your new wedges, hit 'em well.

Thanks for the write up ddxu.. That sounds like an awesome experience!

Sent from my iPhone

Great recap there DDXU and I'm glad you ended up winning the Scor's. Sounds like you guys had a heck of a time. Good luck with your new wedges, hit 'em well.

+1, that had to be a good time. Pretty eye opening to see the amount of strokes someone can gain just from 100 yards in.

Enjoyed the write up, and solid rounds played by all.

Great recap ddxu, sounds like you and your group was able to take away some good lessons after the round. What a great addition to the outing having Shawn there

I was amazed at the 11 shot result, that is eye opening.

I was really surprised as well. My handicap speaks for itself and I thought my long game was really to blame. I shot 84-90 range all weekend, so the 88 was pretty typical of my game.

Time for me to really track stats when I play to make sure I know what I need to work on.

Good info ddxu and congrats! I know I struggle big time around the green and this was fun to follow as I plan on working on this part of my game over the next two months.

Back