Callaway UPRO MX+ GPS Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) today announced that its new upro mx+ golf GPS device will be available in stores starting May 30th. The upro mx+ is the only golf GPS on the market that offers ProMode, offering golfers actual aerial imagery and video flyovers of each hole for the most realistic view of the course. Golfers will be able to purchase this product at a new product introduction price of $249 with no additional fees. Each device will come with access to free and unlimited ProMode course downloads.

“The upro mx+ device is the result of extensive listening to what golfers want out of a distance measuring device out on the course,” said Dr. Alan Hocknell, Senior Vice President, Research & Development, Callaway Golf. “Active listening was followed by a lot of hard work to deliver an easy to use, meaningful experience that will help golfers see more and know more out on the course, and give them the confidence to hit better shots.”

A compact, three-ounce device boasting a full-color, 2.2” LCD touch screen, the upro mx+’s updated software also features Anypoint Technology, which helps golfers strategically plan their upcoming shots. The Anypoint Technology feature shows yardage to any location selected on the hole, and the yardage left from that location to the green. Additionally, a Digital Scorecard allows golfers to track their scores and basic golf stats on the device, including fairways hit, greens in regulation and putts during each round.

In addition to the device’s introduction, Callaway has also enhanced features on its uxplore web site, www.callawaygolf.com/uxplore. UPRO users tracking performance on the device’s digital scorecard will be able to automatically upload their scores and stats to the uxplore web site to view their historical performance and compare to other golfers in the community. Golfers will also continue to have access to all 25,000 courses in Callaway’s online database to help get ready to play at a new course. These web-based features are available to upro mx+ GPS owners and those who register for free on the site and want to input their scores manually.

The Callaway upro mx+ device is ready to use right out of the box, preloaded with 25,000 courses with BasicMode (yardage and hazard data) and GoMode (yardage data plus renderings of the greens and hazards). ProMode courses, which include hi-resolution aerial photography and video flyovers, can be downloaded from the Callaway uxplore site for no additional fee or subscriptions.

I like flyover views on gps, it makes me think they did some serious leg work in getting info for the device. Nice price point as well. Should be a popular items

Wow, that is a ton offered for the price. Really appreciate the fact of no subscriptions and all that mess. Hopefully the launch is successful and we don't see the issues that were seen previously that I have read about here on the forum.

The aerial fly over has me thinking for a new device.. All for no fee..Sounds promising..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

I saw some info about this on Callaways Facebook page yesterday and it got me all excited. I need a new GPS, the one on my phone works great but just drains the Heck out of my battery. Great price for a great looking product.

Is this a brand new device JB or is it the same device as last year with the re-worked software? I ask because I am still the owner of last years device and I am running the current software, but still waiting for them to relaunch the short tracking capability on the software.

I'm really intrigued by this. I will consider this this summer for sure.

Think I may have to check one if these out!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FYI, I did connect my device this morning and there is a new update and the "stats" portion of the website is now up and running...so it sounds like they are making progress.

I will test out the new update this weekend!

This just arrived at THP HQ and we will have some pictures and review coming up soon. So far, just messing around with it, I am pretty impressed.

This just arrived at THP HQ and we will have some pictures and review coming up soon. So far, just messing around with it, I am pretty impressed.
Im really interested in the flyby feature they have on this, as well as what the battery life will be like.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

As I have said before, I am not sure if this is completely new hardware or the same hardware with a new updates software interface. I did update my device and it now says Upro MX+ when it powers up, so I assume I am using exactly what is now being sold...JB if this is incorrect please let me know.

I played 2 rounds with my UproMX+ this weekend and had no issues with battery life either day...the device had no issues and transitioned very smoothly. I couldn't test ProMode because even though I have requested it a dozen times my home course is not available in promode.

The new scorecard interface works well, but I think it's still lacking in some stats I would like to see, like sand shots and penalty shots and fairway missed directions....wether you miss the fairway right or left. Shot tracker is still not available in this new update.

Glad to see Callaway get one of these in the hands of THP for a formal review. Looks like a ton of product for the price point. I enjoyed some of the flyovers that I watched on the GPS devices at Grand Cypress in the carts so I can definitely see the added value in that.

I for one am very interested in the THP review on this. It's getting close to time to get a new GPS, and it's got the Callaway name on it! Sounds perfect for me!

One thing about this unit..it's small and weighs next to nothing. I have played with some of the flyovers on other courses and it's very cool.

Will be interested to see what the official THP review has to say about it.

I am looking for a new GPS and this is one that I will be looking at. Hope it is as good as it looks.

I really wish they hadn't killed the shot tracking -- then I'd still have upro mx. The aerial promode views are outstanding (if the contrast is good) -- a step up from the cartoons on my Garmin G6. And they upro website is great, being able to see the promode footage before you golf, and now they have stats tracking on the website. Nice. If they'd kept the shottracking, I'd be willing to wait for the rest of features to come around.

But my G6 worked -- I mean totally worked, everything as advertised, and it has shot tracking, and good stats (like fairway missed left or right, and it automatically calculates GIR, you don't have to enter that). When Callaway brings back shot tracking, I hope they set it up like the Garmin -- you measure your shot, THEN choose the club to assign it to. With the original mx shot tracking, you had to select your club before starting to track. Kind of a bummer to go through that and then flub the shot.

I down loaded the lastest version last night. Took it for a spin today. I will say the look is considerably better. I really like the new scorecard too. I did have some issues with it locking up. Happen a few times later in the round. I also see a better response time. It seems to has better response time. I do like the fact that you can delete previous rounds that the score card was incomplete on. I had like 8/9 of these.
Will give this another spin this weekend. See if maybe my problems were operator error. This is def a better product now, BUT shot tracking is a must in the future. That is what is going to help me see my main issues.

....... This is def a better product now, BUT shot tracking is a must in the future.

I'm running the mx+ software and I've been very pleased. However, I do agree that SHOT TRACKING needs to return. I honestly don't understand the issue. It's a GPS it should be able to answer the question. "how far is it from here......to here?"

I've owned mine for a little over a month and got to use 2.0, 2.3 and 3.0 versions. I REALLY like the new scoring. SO much easier to enter scores. My only complaint is that there have been times when I can't get it to acknowledge a touch to the screen. Especially the scoring. There have been a few times where I could not get the score screen to open.

The only other issue I've had so far is getting the targeting to lock on a point. Whenever I've used the cursor, the targeting point continues to jump around the screen after I've let my finger off the cursor.

LOVE the size and lightness of the unit. Coming from the SkyCaddie SG5, I really appreciate the reduction. I don't like anything but a few tees and a divot tool in my pocket when I play. The upro doesn't bother me at all if I put it in my front pocket (tho I usually put it in my right rear.

Can anyone comment on the battery life. I think I read that it is only 5 to 7 hours. That sounds kind of short.

Just got mine on ebay. I can't wait to use it!

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the battery life. I think I read that it is only 5 to 7 hours. That sounds kind of short.
The battery was at 49% left after I got home from my round Wednesday. But that was a short round. I have not ever run into battery life issues during a round.

I have a uPro and am curious why so many are so concerned with the absence of the SHOT TRACKING feature. I used it for a few wholes when I first got my device 2 years ago and never used it again.

Now after reading all of the comments I think I may be missing out. What do others use it for?

I may have to pick one of these up for a hardware upgrade. My uPro is pretty buggy and the new screen on uPro MX looks quite a bit better than mine.

I have a uPro and am curious why so many are so concerned with the absence of the SHOT TRACKING feature. I used it for a few wholes when I first got my device 2 years ago and never used it again.

Now after reading all of the comments I think I may be missing out. What do others use it for?

I may have to pick one of these up for a hardware upgrade. My uPro is pretty buggy and the new screen on uPro MX looks quite a bit better than mine.

Shottracker helps you to know exactly how far you hit your clubs...most GPS models have some version of this and you can store it and it builds an average for you and will start suggesting clubs based on yardage.

Back