Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

The outing weekend was probably the best possible prep work I could have done because I proved one very important thing to myself. I AM HEALTHY! Played 28 (yes, 28) holes Thursday, full demo day Friday, followed by 36 Saturday, another 18 Sunday, and 13 hours walking around 3 Disney parks Monday, followed by 10 hours of driving today, and I am pretty much pain free. I plan on a lot of course time for the next couple of weeks followed by 3 more lessons.

Good to hear Yorkem!

So happy for you! I was in shock that I had no pain this weekend either. I understand your excitement and relief! Go Hackers!

The outing weekend was probably the best possible prep work I could have done because I proved one very important thing to myself. I AM HEALTHY! Played 28 (yes, 28) holes Thursday, full demo day Friday, followed by 36 Saturday, another 18 Sunday, and 13 hours walking around 3 Disney parks Monday, followed by 10 hours of driving today, and I am pretty much pain free. I plan on a lot of course time for the next couple of weeks followed by 3 more lessons.

If you're not in pain after walking around 3 Disney parks, you should be fine. Usually that's head pain inducing...

That's outstanding!

Outstanding buddy! That is glad to hear! As somebody who deals with back pain all the time I know what that means.

that right there is a near perfect prep for the MC2! and good news for Team Hackers as well.

That is awesome to hear dude. I was worried about you through out the weekend. I am glad you never ended up having pains.

Nice thoughts guys. Yorkem, glad to hear you are pain free man. Pain sucks with golf.

Happy to hear this man. I'm not smart like Dr Ary, but I suspect a few jello shots and ice cream sandwich pie is to thank. Keep it up buddy, I'm pulling for ya.

Thunderstorms this PM. After our home game - going to hit the range if it isn't pouring.

I'm glad you came away from the weekend feeling good. I kept asking you about your back all week. You played a ton of golf and took a lot of swings.

Yorkem was hitting the big stick pretty damn well in Florida. Glad you are over the back issues, buddy.

Yorkem was hitting the big stick pretty damn well in Florida. Glad you are over the back issues, buddy.

he sure was. Hopefully he isn't allowed to throw that Classic in his bag hehe

Hehe, that's what I was going to say. Yorkem was hitting the Classic very well...

I'm glad you came away from the weekend feeling good. I kept asking you about your back all week. You played a ton of golf and took a lot of swings.

Hmmm...backhanded compliment...hahaha

Thanks guys, but I am not even going to worry about it bro. Feeling good will let me work on the black.

Hehe, that's what I was going to say. Yorkem was hitting the Classic very well...

It was awesome meeting you War. I definitely want to get a round in with you next time.

Had a "getting to know you" range session with the J40 4W, 3H, & 4H. Went pretty well.

Had a "getting to know you" range session with the J40 4W, 3H, & 4H. Went pretty well.

I am jealous man! I have put one swing with each.

I am preping this week by driving to Virginia and training people.

So it's cloudy out all day - but no rain. We show up to the field for our 3rd to last game at home.... DOWN POUR complete with thunder and lightening. Game called - afternoon off... BUT I CAN'T WORK ON ANYTHING BECAUSE IT IS STILL THUNDERSTORMING OUT!!!!

2nd lesson of the year earlier today. We worked on 3 main things today. First of all, I feel like I'm not compressing the ball as well as I should have, so my instructor had me work on hitting shots with a restricted follow-through, aka knockdown shots. That will help my sequencing on the downswing and also will help with getting my hands in front of the ball at impact.

Second, my instructor noted that I was hitting a lot of shots near the heel of the club, and he recommended that I back away from the ball a bit so that I wasn't crowding it. The first few swings that I did in that setup definitely felt different, but I was getting adjusted to it by the end of the lesson.

Finally, everyone knows that my backswing is really long. My instructor knows this, and he hasn't tried to mess with it all that much until today. He noted that my backswing had gotten even longer than in the past, and that was leading to some inconsistent shots today. So what I am trying to do is feel like I'm only taking the club back to 9 o'clock on every swing. This will be a huge challenge for me, as he put me on video and the first swings where I tried to feel this were still past parallel! What we're trying to do is take out some of the excess movement and make me more consistent. I'm not going to get too wrapped up in this change while I'm playing golf on the course, but I see a ton of swings with wedges coming in the near future on the driving range while trying to get used to this new feeling.

2nd lesson of the year earlier today. We worked on 3 main things today. First of all, I feel like I'm not compressing the ball as well as I should have, so my instructor had me work on hitting shots with a restricted follow-through, aka knockdown shots. That will help my sequencing on the downswing and also will help with getting my hands in front of the ball at impact.

Second, my instructor noted that I was hitting a lot of shots near the heel of the club, and he recommended that I back away from the ball a bit so that I wasn't crowding it. The first few swings that I did in that setup definitely felt different, but I was getting adjusted to it by the end of the lesson.

Finally, everyone knows that my backswing is really long. My instructor knows this, and he hasn't tried to mess with it all that much until today. He noted that my backswing had gotten even longer than in the past, and that was leading to some inconsistent shots today. So what I am trying to do is feel like I'm only taking the club back to 9 o'clock on every swing. This will be a huge challenge for me, as he put me on video and the first swings where I tried to feel this were still past parallel! What we're trying to do is take out some of the excess movement and make me more consistent. I'm not going to get too wrapped up in this change while I'm playing golf on the course, but I see a ton of swings with wedges coming in the near future on the driving range while trying to get used to this new feeling.

Good to hear it wasn't raining on you dude. Good to hear he had some good advice.

Good to hear it wasn't raining on you dude. Good to hear he had some good advice.

Thanks man, the weather has really sucked up here in May. Thankfully summer is finally arriving, we'll tee it up again sometime soon!

Thanks man, the weather has really sucked up here in May. Thankfully summer is finally arriving, we'll tee it up again sometime soon!

Yessir. I can't wait to start really working on my game. These last two weeks are going to take forever....

Short range session and a nine hole practice round yesterday.

I wanted to work on hitting the ball hard again. I had some mixed results, but I thought I saw some pretty good progress. Have to remember that I don't have to speed up my tempo to hit the ball harder, just need to focus on getting my weight loaded up and being more aggressive/faster on the down swing. My natural instinct is to make a faster move back, which leads to poor contact.

I'm shanking my wedges on full shots and it's driving me crazy. I think I'm going to work on partial shots with my 9 iron and PW to cover the distances that are leading to the shanks.

The video helps. I've tried shortening my backswing with the driver and it's still a struggle. I've been able to shorten everything else, but that club. Some things just can't be changed. Just remember to control your swing and you'll be fine. I thought your swing looked real good at demo day, so don't fret too much.

I like the idea of hitting the ball hard Hawk. I focused on my transition and weight shift with my irons during my last round. It felt good and I increased distance but was not as accurate and that hit my score card hard.

Back