SCOR Wedges Review - THP Demo Day

FWIW, Shawn was rocking his THP Albatross Club Hat all day Saturday too. Dude is awesome. He gave me short game lessons, I need to return the favor and give him multi-quote lessons :angel:

well, knowing you never go higher loft than a 56 and a 56 is your go to club, I would reco 49, 52, 56. If you would be willing to go higher, I would really reco 49, 53, 57.

I just put my SCORFit results in the other SCOR thread. All these SCOR threads are wild. I think I like the idea of the 45/49/53/57 setup.

Yep. Here is the word from Shawn:

TC you'd be perfect for this testing...and I would be lying if I didn't hope to get picked...:alien:

Oh snap! That's awesome. Thanks dude. We'll see what happens. Like I said though, I've seen how SCORs have morphed One-Tizzle's short game, so they've always been enticing for me.

Prescription #1 — Ultimate Scoring Range Precision
SCOR4161
41°
146-150 y
SCOR4161
45°
133-137 y
SCOR4161
49°
121-125 y
SCOR4161
53°
110-114 y
SCOR4161
57°
100-104 y
Prescription #2 — Three Precision Specialty Wedges
SCOR4161
50°
121-125 y
SCOR4161
54°
110-114 y
SCOR4161
58°
100-104 y
Prescription #3 — Pitching Wedge Matched to Your SCOR4161s
SCOR4161
45°
133-137 y
SCOR4161
49°
121-125 y
SCOR4161
53°
110-114 y
SCOR4161
57°
100-104 y

yeah, I was bringing it over here. If you go #3, then I say its perfect for you. If you dont want to replace your PW, then its obvious you just drop the 45.

Guys why dont we move this back to reviews from demo day and leave the testing to the other thread or when/if it is announced.

Guys why dont we move this back to reviews from demo day and leave the testing to the other thread or when/if it is announced.

Got ya dude, I was confused as to where to be putting thoughts anyway. Sorry.

If I were to go with SCOR's, I would definitely want to try the PW replacement. Not that I don't like my PW, but I would love to have something more "blade" like for my PW. If I did that I would go w/ SCORs in the 46/50/54/58. One thing Shawn said last night that has really stuck with me was that you should keep the loft of your go to wedge around the green. Well, mine happens to be a 56*. However, if I stuck with a 56* SCOR, I'm not sure what I would do for the rest of the set. This is almost too much to think about, LOL

Interesting, I thought about this well but really like my PW. I wonder how this would effect my set. Something to ponder

Interesting, I thought about this well but really like my PW. I wonder how this would effect my set. Something to ponder

I don't know Freddie. The thought of having a little more control and a little more versatility out of a PW is an intriguing thought for me.

Loving the thoughts in here, and the pondering. Love the faith that SCOR golf are putting in THP, and the repayment they're seeing with the feedback.

FWIW, Shawn was rocking his THP Albatross Club Hat all day Saturday too. Dude is awesome. He gave me short game lessons, I need to return the favor and give him multi-quote lessons :angel:

Ouch

Ouch

Ouch

Not too familiar with Tapatalk yet...and trying to pad that "posts" field so I can be a future tester on THP! ;-)

hahahaha, that was funny.

Not too familiar with Tapatalk yet...and trying to pad that "posts" field so I can be a future tester on THP! ;-)

Now that is awesomely hilarious! Nicely done Shawn! Hahahaha

lol well played sir.

Ouch

Ouch

Ouch

LOL Nice Shawn.

Shawn just gave DDXU the 1-2 piece in multi quoting.

Finally got my hands on the SCOR wedges at demo day. Great look and a good feel. I kept hitting them fat, as I do with all wedges but when solid contact was made the ball just launched and had good spin with those range balls. I would really like to try them fit to me and I am now in ponder mode. Thanks again Shawn for allowing us to take some swings with these bad boys.

I went to THP demo day with searching for wedges in mind. The SCOR were some of the first ones that I tried out. I tried the 51*, 56* and 58*. The red grips on them were interesting but didn't really do it for me. I would probably switch them to a multi-compound grip for better grip. When I look at a wedge, I like to see minimal writing/design and mostly metal. The SCOR wedges did not disappoint and would look great in a bag. At address, they had a nice thin topline that screamed pin-seeker. When hitting these wedges, I wasn't a huge fan of the shafts that were in them (I can't remember which ones they were) as they didn't feel quite stiff enough for me on full shots, though this could easily be fixed. I also found myself having problems pulling these wedges left. Not sure if that has to do with the shaft but 4/10 shots were pulled left. The wedges felt good when making contact just as I would expect from any wedge and had a very crisp sound. When I didn't pull the shot, I had a nice high ball flight that I'm sure would have stopped on a dime. Given that they have the SCOR system, I'm sure that these would work well in anyone's bag.

If I were to go with SCOR's, I would definitely want to try the PW replacement. Not that I don't like my PW, but I would love to have something more "blade" like for my PW. If I did that I would go w/ SCORs in the 46/50/54/58. One thing Shawn said last night that has really stuck with me was that you should keep the loft of your go to wedge around the green. Well, mine happens to be a 56*. However, if I stuck with a 56* SCOR, I'm not sure what I would do for the rest of the set. This is almost too much to think about, LOL

Well, I'm going to ramble now, b/c that's the only way I can get all this out. I am a good short game player. Always have been, but I believe I am b/c I've never had tons of options at the bottom end of my bag. I've learned how to hit a 50* wedge anywhere from 60-115 yards, and quite effectively. I've learned how to use my 56* from 85 yards and in, and quite effectively. But am I leaving something on the table? WOuld I be 2nd and 3rd guessing myself a lot with so many short game options? For those of you with 4-5 SCOR's, do you ever find that they limit your creativity and touch?

Again - as a THP member and golfer first...not an OEM trying to sell golf clubs - what I love about SCOR4161 and what had me at hello was the concept of a 9i, PW, GW, SW and LW that are all designed to look feel and play identically. That and I just loved the head shapes when I saw the original brass models almost two years ago now. As a golfer...back in college and professionally...I was a "gap wedge" guy. My TITLEIST Vokey 252.08 was my go to club...I was deadly accurate from 108 yards...that was my lay up distance. Just put me at 108 yards and I could put it inside 10 feet for a chance to save par or a good look at birdie. Great wedge that I got to know intimately through practice...not on the range but on the soccer fields in Nacogdoches, TX hitting shot after shot after shot from my shag bag at trash cans, football uprights or my teammates/coach.

I still have that confidence today somewhat from 105-110 yards. But, with SCOR4161 I'm now able to extend that same confidence out to 135-140 yards because I have a 9i (42*) and PW (46*) designed to look, feel and play just like my GW (50*). I find myself with the same excitement / confidence from 130 yards now that I have 108 yards. My mental approach to those shots is a knock down wedge shot...vs. a full iron shot. My distance control form those distance has greatly improved...I'm not selecting the higher lofts and swinging harder. I'm selecting the lower lofts and bringing it in lower / more controlled for that sexy one-hop and stop.

So to answer your question - for me as a golfer - SCOR4161 has done nothing but increase my creativity inside 140 yards. I go to each shot with 2-3 wedges in my hand and select what feels right. If it is a short sided pin, I might select more loft...if there is wind or a lot of green to work with, I might select less. More times than not, it just feels like one or the other lofts.

Trust me - I tried to find every reason imaginable to not do SCOR Golf and get back in the equipment industry after my time with Callaway Golf. Fact is I believe SCOR4161 is just a great product...and I've been a Vokey / Cleveland guy my entire career. By no means am I the best player out there, but I've shot some great scores with my Vokey wedges.

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/022828/shawn-dinwiddie/season/#uber

Peak of my professional golf career...monday qualified for a Nike / Nationwide event. Missed the cut because I was a nervous wreck, but what it doesn't say is I shot 64 in the qualifier with three bogeys. That summer I carded two 64s and a 63...and I attribute each of those to some good putting and great wedges play.

I went to THP demo day with searching for wedges in mind. The SCOR were some of the first ones that I tried out. I tried the 51*, 56* and 58*. The red grips on them were interesting but didn't really do it for me. I would probably switch them to a multi-compound grip for better grip. When I look at a wedge, I like to see minimal writing/design and mostly metal. The SCOR wedges did not disappoint and would look great in a bag. At address, they had a nice thin topline that screamed pin-seeker. When hitting these wedges, I wasn't a huge fan of the shafts that were in them (I can't remember which ones they were) as they didn't feel quite stiff enough for me on full shots, though this could easily be fixed. I also found myself having problems pulling these wedges left. Not sure if that has to do with the shaft but 4/10 shots were pulled left. The wedges felt good when making contact just as I would expect from any wedge and had a very crisp sound. When I didn't pull the shot, I had a nice high ball flight that I'm sure would have stopped on a dime. Given that they have the SCOR system, I'm sure that these would work well in anyone's bag.

Brutal honesty here - grips are a personal thing. Everyone has the one that feels the best to them. Stick with that because that's what you'll have confidence in during those defining moments over the ball and before you pull the trigger. I don't like the Lamkin 3G Performance Wedge grip either...I don't like the length on short game shots around the green because I like to grip down to the steel...and when I do that with the Lamkin 3G grip, I have too much of the grip in the butt dragging against my body. I don't like the way the thicker taper feels on full shots. So - as soon as I can get to the shop and buy some, my SCOR4161s will have lamkin crossline full cords.

Shawn, thanks. SOme things you said kind of remind me of how I approach the game from 150 and in. Rarely am I a full swing guy when it comes to scoring clubs. I've always felt that my dispersion and accuracy suffers when I go at any kind of wedge. One other thing, is that being a lefty, I've never really had all the loft options that righties do, so I had to learn how to really ingrain what a 50 yard swing was, or a 75 yard swing, or a 90 yard swing. In the end, it's created the ability for me to put myself in good positions to capitalize on scoring. Unfortunately, I'm not the best putter on the planet.

One-T really took a lot of what your system is all about to heart and implemented it in his game. I've seen it. I've seen him take "more" club with the SCOR's and play a 50-75% shot and I've seen the ball react exactly to what you described in your post.

If there's one thing I have taken from all things SCOR on this forum, especially when it comes to your feedback, it's that you truly believe in what you have. I don't get the notion that you are selling anything bro, just reporting why it is you guys went down the road you did in this industry. It's incredibly intriguing.

After adjusting to my new distances I need different score wedges I think but I choose the 47* for anything 100-115 and the 43* for any 60-70 yard pitch shots. I'll have more later but they put me in some good spots on the course!

All these reviews are fantastic! I love seeing newer golf companies gain a following! Shawn seems like a really great dude, hope I get to meet him one day!

My scorfit recommended the 49-53-57 setup in the Genius 12 shaft. Ponder, ponder!

After adjusting to my new distances I need different score wedges I think but I choose the 47* for anything 100-115 and the 43* for any 60-70 yard pitch shots. I'll have more later but they put me in some good spots on the course!

Tmex, did you mean 53/57 or 43/47? Was 57* (i'm assuming that's what you meant) adequate enough in loft for you around the greens?

Tmex, did you mean 53/57 or 43/47? Was 57* (i'm assuming that's what you meant) adequate enough in loft for you around the greens?

I actually only have the 43 and 47 right now. Tuna is kind enough to be letting me test them and he has offered the others as well. Which I'm gonna have to take him up on. My only issue is ill wait till after the MC and figure out what lofts I need haha.

The 47 is very good around the green. It doesn't stop as fast as my 56 (obviously haha) but the more compact head makes it easy to make ball first contact (like a putting stroke) then run a chip to the hole with a great amount of accuracy. I find it easy to not duff a chip and its rare I leave it really short on a chip or pitch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I actually only have the 43 and 47 right now. Tuna is kind enough to be letting me test them and he has offered the others as well. Which I'm gonna have to take him up on. My only issue is ill wait till after the MC and figure out what lofts I need haha.

The 47 is very good around the green. It doesn't stop as fast as my 56 (obviously haha) but the more compact head makes it easy to make ball first contact (like a putting stroke) then run a chip to the hole with a great amount of accuracy. I find it easy to not duff a chip and its rare I leave it really short on a chip or pitch.

Oh, my bad dude. How presumptious of me. You pair a solid short game with that a' la Tiger off the tee game and you're going to be in the breaking 80 thread soon.

Your short game was darn impressive this weekend. TourMex was putting on a display.

TC,

I have the 46/50/54/58 combo and I love it! At first I was a little bit skeptical about the 46, but I am sold. It is extremely accurate and much more versatile like you said. I know you are a 56* guy and your PW is 46*, so why not 46/51/56? I would either go that way or the 46/50/54/58.

Good thoughts Doc. One thing that is increasingly clear: these SCOR's are preffered by many. That's always a good thing.

How great is it for the guys in attendance to have practice holes to unleash them on.

Back