Crystal Springs Resort, NJ

Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
It's a resort with some great courses hidden up here in the hills of northern NJ. There's Crystal Springs, Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, and others very close by. Ballyowen has been rated the top public course in NJ by a few different sources I do believe. Crystal is my favorite course out of any of the 7, and it has also been rated the hardest public course in NJ I believe. I played there this morning, and I highly suggest anyone that is in the area try to play any of these courses. Here's the "quarry hole", or #11 on the Crystal Springs course. It is probably the coolest hole I've ever played in my life. So hard, but definately worth the experience.

View from the tee:

0115f220.jpg

Yes, that's the green on both sides of that neck thing. You DO NOT want to end up on the wrong side of the green like I did today. I was front right (hit a tree and bounced down), and you can see the pin back right. Barely escaped with a 3 putt bogey. Had to make a 10 footer for it.

View up to the tee:

63c351d6.jpg

Here, I'm standing in the back section if the green, right about where the pin is in the first picture, and you can see the guys up on the tee in the top left of the picture.

It plays about 190 or so to the back, and is listed at 170 to the middle (neck thing) I think. Seriously a great hole.

Last edited:
The pics should be updated and working now.

Looks awesome. Playing courses with elevation changes like this for the first time can be so frustrating. That's why you need a caddy.

Looks awesome. Playing courses with elevation changes like this for the first time can be so frustrating. That's why you need a caddy.

Yeah it was tough as hell. Too bad there isn't caddies there. And there's no such thing as a flat lie in the rough. Which made things very hard on a bad tee day. It's such a fun course though.

Looks like a fun golf hole buddy.

Wow! I recently played this course and all I have to say is that it is a very challenging course, and it is one of the sexiest courses I have ever played. Hole 11, is something else.

24.jpg

You are teeing off on this par 3 from those apartment buildings! Sooo sick!

Crystal Springs is the worst layout of all the courses in their group. Way over rated. If your going to spend the money, play Wild Turkey or Ballyowen. Aside from the 11th hole there really isnt anything special, and most of the mounding in the fairways is just a bad design.

Crystal Springs is the worst layout of all the courses in their group. Way over rated. If your going to spend the money, play Wild Turkey or Ballyowen. Aside from the 11th hole there really isnt anything special, and most of the mounding in the fairways is just a bad design.

That's surprising. I'm not a fan of Turkey at all and I think Bally is sort of boring. Especially considering the price for Bally, I would definitely not suggest playing there over the other courses.

i'm gonna second Bobby fairway's comment in that CS itself is the worst layout. bally, black bear and wild turkey are MUCH better courses. the greens on black bear run a solid 11-12. wild turkey can play as hard or as easy as the wind lets it (same goes for bally)

That's surprising. I'm not a fan of Turkey at all and I think Bally is sort of boring. Especially considering the price for Bally, I would definitely not suggest playing there over the other courses.

Have you ever played Ballyowen from the tips on a windy day? I assure you it is not a boring course. Even on a calm day, from the back it is a good test of golf.

Also agree with Gioguy.....they have done a great job with the greens at Black Bear this year, as well as some of the improvements they made to some of the holes. Much improved from prior years.

they have done a great job with the greens at Black Bear this year, as well as some of the improvements they made to some of the holes. Much improved from prior years.

the guy told me who was working there during an outing i attended, "our greens are best they've ever been and with 100 or so groups every day during the weekend, and outings during the week...they continue to roll true and consistent 10-12 on the stimp depending on rain." once he said that i've been back 4 times since. admittedly there are a few gimmicky holes but overall it's a fantastic layout.

the guy told me who was working there during an outing i attended, "our greens are best they've ever been and with 100 or so groups every day during the weekend, and outings during the week...they continue to roll true and consistent 10-12 on the stimp depending on rain." once he said that i've been back 4 times since. admittedly there are a few gimmicky holes but overall it's a fantastic layout.

Plus there are always some real good deals on Golf Now to play there.

Have you ever played Ballyowen from the tips on a windy day? I assure you it is not a boring course. Even on a calm day, from the back it is a good test of golf.

Yes I have. I work there. Played it a ton of times and walked it even more. None of the holes really wow me. It's not all that long and that makes it play quite easy IMO. I've shot some of my best scores ever there. My favorite hole by far on that course is #7. Really a great hole and the only original one on the course IMO. I mean, 3 of the 4 par 3s are essentially the same hole just in a different location (#6, #11, #15).

And I agree with you guys on BB. A good course. Some really fun holes. I like the layout of that one, I just wish it were a bit longer from the tips. The greens are fantastic this year. I'm not used to greens that fast and they are just great. The practice facitily on the other side of the range is great too. Good range, good short game area, and good putting/chipping green. That's where I take my lessons.

I am looking to play a round or two at this resort in the upcoming weeks. I live in NW Jersey and usually play at High Bridge Hills and Architect's along with some courses in Pennsylvania since I live on the border. Not sure which of the 7 courses I want to try first.

I grew up there and played my High School golf at the Season's or Playboy resort not sure what its called now. I'd play that track first then try Crystal i worked on the Greens crew at Crystal in 97 and must say back then it was a great course I've since moved before all the new courses were built and haven't been back. Maybe i need to put it on my list to check out.

I grew up there and played my High School golf at the Season's or Playboy resort not sure what its called now. I'd play that track first then try Crystal i worked on the Greens crew at Crystal in 97 and must say back then it was a great course I've since moved before all the new courses were built and haven't been back. Maybe i need to put it on my list to check out.

Nice, I remember it when it was the Playboy club, but I was real young. I remember going there with my grandfather and riding in the cart with him while he played. Its called Great Gorge now, the Crystal Springs group purchased it and it is now part of their resort. Whats really creepy is that the old Playboy hotel that is there is abandoned and it looks like a haunted hotel.

Ballyowen is expensive but is a links course. Its a tough course if you are not hitting fairways. I played it on a windy day and it was not fun. I was hacking out of rough all day. Its a beauty though. I have never played Wild Turkey but heard it is nice. Crystal Springs is a decent course but I dont love it. I like Black bear too. I enjoy messing around at Minerals sometimes too, when I just want to work on irons and short game.

Is Minerals the 9 hole at the resort? i used to play that all the time i believe its a Robert Trent Jones design.

Bobby Fairways i remember when i was in High School 95,96,97 that that resort hosted a Friday night teen dance club. Not surprised its closed down, can't compete with Mountain Creek i suppose.

Is Minerals the 9 hole at the resort? i used to play that all the time i believe its a Robert Trent Jones design.

Bobby Fairways i remember when i was in High School 95,96,97 that that resort hosted a Friday night teen dance club. Not surprised its closed down, can't compete with Mountain Creek i suppose.

Yes it is the executive 9 hole course. Its pretty fun.

I haven't played Ballyowen in a couple of years. But I do remeber that it is a very well maintained course. I enjoyed my rounds there. It's just too expensive to make it a regular play for me. I live 5 mins away from Black Bear. I enjoy the course, but sometimes it can get a little backed up, and heaven forbid you get behind an outing!! I play Bowling Green golf course in Jefferson. This is a must play for people who want to experience another of the fine courses in Northern NJ. Well laid out and the maintainance is great. I have played Great Gorge with an outing. Nothing special.

Now Crystal Springs, I try to get there at least once a year. You really have to position your shots so you don't hit the outside of a mound and go OB. Along with the cliff hole, I enjoy a lot of the holes. It tests me. I have to be on my game to avoid doubles, triple and the dreaded 'others'. Again, it's not cheap either.

I like Farmstead if you can get the lake and clubhouse nines. Try to stay away from the valleyview 9, not the best 9 by any means. I also play at a very short course called Rolling Greens. It is very inexpensive, but it has 9 par 3s that average over 204 yds, with one at 235!!! It is a very difficult couse from that aspect. Plus, you can walk on almost at any time, even weekends!

I think Norther NJ has a great variety of courses. It keeps playing interesting.

There are many, many courses within an hour of my house including in PA that I enjoy playing.

Last edited:
Back