Maybe a spectator picked it up... He should get a free drop in the area he believes it landed - that's what Tiger got :)

Maybe a spectator picked it up... He should get a free drop in the area he believes it landed - that's what Tiger got :)

That's how I've played if I knew someone picked it up. Nothing more frustrating than that!

It's also easier if you have 15 marshals with little red flags to mark where it is. Some rules are much easier to follow in tourny play than in real (public course) life.

Can also drop anywhere on that 30 yd line from the tee to where it went in, I believe. If you didn't want to hit off a steep bank. Still hitting 3 no matter which.

You have three option 1. Re-tee 2. Two clubs from point of entry (already mentioned by others) 3. Keep the point of entry between you and the flag and go back as far as you want on that line. There is another option that is rarely used so I don't waste your time

Yellow stakes for a Hazard, red for a lateral hazard. Hazards are lateral if the committee determines there is no practical way to drop behind the hazard as per Rule 26/1b. (Keeping the point of entry between you and the flag.)

Back to the original question yes, play from where the last stroke was played under penalty of stroke and distance (the first one counts). Or keep the point where your ball entered between you and the flag and drop anywhere along that line you wish.

Two clarifications, one response was that the golfer had the option to drop anywhere along the flight of the ball to the hazard which is a common misconception. As many have pointed out, you may drop as far back as you want as long as the point where your ball entered the hazard is between you and the flag.

Thanks for the clarification on that. I don't know where I got that one turned around but I'm glad I know now.

Rules question that came up today...

Rules question that came up today...

I'm usually fairly knowledgeable when it comes to the rules of the game, but I had an incident that came up during our round this afternoon that I had no clue how to answer. The guy I was playing with was playing a Titleist Pro V1 number 2 with a logo of a company I had never heard of. I know you are supposed to have some kind of distinguishable marking on your ball and he was using the logo as that marking. He hit his second shot on a hole just left of the green and it ran down the hill just past the hazard line. It was still very much playable. When we located his ball, it was sitting right next to another Titleist Pro V1 number 2 ball with the same logo. We had no idea which ball was his. Both balls were sitting just past the hazard line, but both were playable and had very similar lies. What is the ruling for that situation?

We're not playin the PGA tour. Pick a ball and play it.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

We're not playin the PGA tour. Pick a ball and play it.

Then put the other one in your pocket

Tapatalk

That's true, but following the letter of the rules, the ball is lost because he cannot identify which one is his. That would be no matter where the balls are, the fairway, rough, or in hazard.

But as breezy said, pick a ball and play it!

We did just pick a ball, but I was curious as to what the official ruling would be in a tournament.

We did just pick a ball, but I was curious as to what the official ruling would be in a tournament.

Like smalls said above, he would have to deem it a lost ball and it would be played as such. Stroke and distance.

Smallville, is that avatar supposed to test for epilepsy?

Played with a buddy this weekend and he hit his yellow ball in the driving range. Could not find his because they were all yellow so he did the next best thing, just played one of the range balls!

Played with a buddy this weekend and he hit his yellow ball in the driving range. Could not find his because they were all yellow so he did the next best thing, just played one of the range balls!
Like with the two balls in the hazard, this is actually a lost ball resulting in a stroke and distance penalty (I HATE when that happens)

Like smalls said above, he would have to deem it a lost ball and it would be played as such. Stroke and distance.

Similar situation occurred to a guy I was playing with. It wasn't a big deal b/c it wasn't going to help him in the competition anyway, but he hit a ball into some trees, then hit another into the same area, then just said 'oh I'll find one' and we went to look. Only problem is both balls were the same brand/number. He found one and we just assumed it was the first, but after the hole I made sure to tell him he technically had to go back to the tee box and hit 5 from there. Just so he knew for any future men's events where not everybody is as laissez faire as we were.

Back