Jason Dufner heads to help Auburn at NCAAs

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Thought this was a pretty cool move of Dufner, helping his former team at the NCAA's at Riviera.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Jason Dufner didn't get to join Ben Hogan as a winner of the Colonial and the Byron Nelson (known as the Dallas Open in its earlier incarnation), settling for second place.

He won't be back in action until the U.S. Open., but he'll be right back on the golf course Monday morning -- and looking to raise some hardware soon after.

Dufner, a proud Auburn alum, will leave the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial tonight bound for Los Angeles and the NCAA Division I mens' golf championship at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades. The tournament starts Tuesday.

"I'm going to work with the men's golf team at the NCAA championships," Dufner said after a tough back nine to finish plus-four on the day and minus-11 for second place behind Zach Johnson. "I'll be there Monday and Tuesday to work with those guys. It's at Riviera, which I have a little experience playing."

Dufner was an honorable-mention All-America in 1997 at Auburn and an All-SEC selection in 1997-98 and 2000. An economics major, Dufner narrowly missed his third career PGA Tour victory at Colonial, which would have matched his total wins in college.

Dufner and his new wife Amanda got married in Auburn on May 5.

Excellent US Open prep right there. The Dufner spotlight will now commence darkening.

This is definitely a respectable move in my opinion.

Excellent US Open prep right there. The Dufner spotlight will now commence darkening.

With the way he is playing right now. Not prepping for 2 days isnt going to hurt him very much. I think its a great move by him to help his alma mater.

He's only there through today.

With the way he is playing right now. Not prepping for 2 days isnt going to hurt him very much. I think its a great move by him to help his alma mater.

True, he ended his weekend wonderfully. I'm sure his head is in a great place.

So he had 1 bad round out of how many over the past few weeks? People make way to much over stuff like this. He was in CA for 2 days.

It's not like he went in to a hole and buried his head to hide from a meltdown round. He is out on a golf course with a group of young Collegiate golfers helping them prepare for a tournament at a course he is familiar with. Pretty solid move on his part, IMO.

Classy move by a well liked guy. Maybe he will show an expression??

I bet if there was a story out about Dufner refusing to go help out the College athletes because he lost the tournament on Sunday in the final round, folks would be all over him for it.

I bet if there was a story out about Dufner refusing to go help out the College athletes because he lost the tournament on Sunday in the final round, folks would be all over him for it.

Of course. People give pro athletes crap for every thing they do, regardless of whether it is good or bad for them personally. It is the nature of the beast I suppose.

If I was on fire, I wouldnt take breaks.

Also, does anyone really think he isnt playing golf while out there?

Also, does anyone really think he isnt playing golf while out there?
Was watching some video of him this morning on the range and walking the course. I would imagine he is getting in some work as well.

I agree 100%

Great move by Dufner. Shows that he remembers what got him to where he is today. Too many people forget that our legacy is bigger than what we simply accomplish. Our legacy is also the way we treat people and the things we do for others along the way. Here he is showing his appreciation to his alma mater and his willingness to contribute to the success of collegiate athletes. A classy move I'd say.

Cool, classy move. Venture to say this was planned before he had a less than stellar round Sunday. Win-win IMO. Gets his mind away from a disappointing Sunday and helps out the Auburn players.

Rory went RxGus style before the US Open last year and it worked for him. Go Dufner! Waggle away dude

I personally like the classy moves like this more when they dont announce them to make sure people know they are doing a classy thing. I think this is more of a general comment and less a shot a Dufner.

A classy move by Dufner in my opinion. He was clearly tired and ready for a break, but this is a nice gesture towards his alma mater...even if it is Auburn. :act-up:

Pretty cool Duf. Though I'm in the party that thinks he shouldn't take a break while he's en fuego like this. Either way, good move by him.

Pretty cool Duf. Though I'm in the party that thinks he shouldn't take a break while he's en fuego like this. Either way, good move by him.
I just am not sold that taking 48 hours is considered a break. Did you see him on Sunday? He was not en fuego, at all. He looked absolutely drained.

I just am not sold that taking 48 hours is considered a break. Did you see him on Sunday? He was not en fuego, at all. He looked absolutely drained.

I'm talking about not playing until the US Open. And he had one bad day. Otherwise, he's kicking arse and taking names.

He looked drained put had that SW landed another 3 yards on the green I think his posture on the last few holes would have been totally different.

Back