Good stuff. Ok, will take those down. I feel like I need to spend a week drawing up a gameplan to know exactly what we need to do before we get there! Call me Clark Griswold!

Haha it will help a lot though!

Nate,

Disneyland with the younger kids is great! My wife and I have had annual passes for the past 5 years. One of the biggest secrets to enjoying disneyland is to go prepared, but also be prepared to be flexible. My wife has made a list of things that make the trips much more enjoyable. It is a document so I could either PM you or send it to you via email. One of the big keys is to use the Fastpass system wisely. Make a plan of what rides you are interested in and know which of those have fast passes available. Each Fastpass has a time stamped on it. I will say Return 11:15 - 12:15. The only number that actually matters is the first number. As long as you come back after that time they will still take them. It could be 6pm and they will still let you use the Fastpass. Also, there is a time stamped on the bottom in smaller print that will tell you when you can get the next fastpass. I would recommend being at the Fast pass station at the time stamped. This will allow you to maximize the FastPasses you can get and minimize the time waiting in line. The best part about this method is you can have your wife and kids in a line or getting lunch while you go and get new Fast Passes, then you just meet back up with them in line or where ever. Like I said this takes a little bit of preplanning but you will be very happy you took the time to do it. The one thing that makes people tired of being at Disneyland is standing in long lines in the hot sun, so do yourself a favor and reduce that time. Let me know if you have any questions about specific rides. Also, it is good to know the height of your kids, so you know before hand which rides they can go on. Nothing worst than waiting in a long line only to tell your 3 year old they aren't big enough to go on the ride. If you know before hand you can prepare them and let them know that big sister is going to go on such and such ride while we go on a different ride. Also, we usually stay at the Marriott across the street (by Mimis Cafe). Parking is great and we can walk to there from the park no problem. It isn't as nice as the Disney hotels, but we like it. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Cars Land is opening June 15 at California Adventure so expect crowds this summer. If you stay at a Disney hotel, you can get into the parks an hour earlier each day of your stay too.

World of Color is a must see. The best way to get a fastpass for seating is to buy a picnic lunch ahead of time. You can place your order up to a month in advance. They sell out, so place your order as soon as you can.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/world-of-color/dining/

Nate, if your girls like to dress up as princesses, there's a boutique for them. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I've heard it's pricy though.

If you're a Star Wars fan, the new Star Tours is great. It's 3D and there's a random selection of scenes that are part of the ride.

In California Adventure, don't miss Toy Story Mania. Bugsland has rides for the kids there. Alladin is a great show too.

Last edited:
Don't forget a Dole Whip Float and a corn dog from the wagon at the end of Main Street too!

Those corn dogs do rock! My wife makes me get her one of those everytime we go.

Nate,

Disneyland with the younger kids is great! My wife and I have had annual passes for the past 5 years. One of the biggest secrets to enjoying disneyland is to go prepared, but also be prepared to be flexible. My wife has made a list of things that make the trips much more enjoyable. It is a document so I could either PM you or send it to you via email. One of the big keys is to use the Fastpass system wisely. Make a plan of what rides you are interested in and know which of those have fast passes available. Each Fastpass has a time stamped on it. I will say Return 11:15 - 12:15. The only number that actually matters is the first number. As long as you come back after that time they will still take them. It could be 6pm and they will still let you use the Fastpass. Also, there is a time stamped on the bottom in smaller print that will tell you when you can get the next fastpass. I would recommend being at the Fast pass station at the time stamped. This will allow you to maximize the FastPasses you can get and minimize the time waiting in line. The best part about this method is you can have your wife and kids in a line or getting lunch while you go and get new Fast Passes, then you just meet back up with them in line or where ever. Like I said this takes a little bit of preplanning but you will be very happy you took the time to do it. The one thing that makes people tired of being at Disneyland is standing in long lines in the hot sun, so do yourself a favor and reduce that time. Let me know if you have any questions about specific rides. Also, it is good to know the height of your kids, so you know before hand which rides they can go on. Nothing worst than waiting in a long line only to tell your 3 year old they aren't big enough to go on the ride. If you know before hand you can prepare them and let them know that big sister is going to go on such and such ride while we go on a different ride. Also, we usually stay at the Marriott across the street (by Mimis Cafe). Parking is great and we can walk to there from the park no problem. It isn't as nice as the Disney hotels, but we like it. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Cars Land is opening June 15 at California Adventure so expect crowds this summer. If you stay at a Disney hotel, you can get into the parks an hour earlier each day of your stay too.

World of Color is a must see. The best way to get a fastpass for seating is to buy a picnic lunch ahead of time. You can place your order up to a month in advance. They sell out, so place your order as soon as you can.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/world-of-color/dining/

Nate, if your girls like to dress up as princesses, there's a boutique for them. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I've heard it's pricy though.

If you're a Star Wars fan, the new Star Tours is great. It's 3D and there's a random selection of scenes that are part of the ride.

In California Adventure, don't miss Toy Story Mania. Bugsland has rides for the kids there. Alladin is a great show too.

Thanks Doc and Rancho! Is the World of Color just as good at lunch as it is for dinner?

Well the times that I have seen it, it is late in the evening and scheduling a nice place to eat and watch is awesome or else it's standing room only haha
Here is a sreenshot from a video I took last summer

7298297054_910afd6555.jpg

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this thread since the family and I are headed that way in November. We'll be driving in since we have family down the road in Huntington Beach. Having 2 boys, the new World of Cars is the target destination (plus we don't have that here in Orlando). If we can only swing one day there I'm sure we'll just do California Adventures since that's the only park that's not similar to what we have here in Orlando. Thanks to Rancho for that tip on World of Color. We will be probably be taking advantage of that.

Thanks Doc and Rancho! Is the World of Color just as good at lunch as it is for dinner?

It's in the evening. You can pick up the picnic earlier and have it for lunch. The first showing of World of Color is around 9pm and buying the picnic will get you a fastpass for a seating area for the show. If you don't want to get wet, don't get too close to the front. I like behind the circle.

This site has a lot of good info about the parks. WDW and Disneyland resort http://www.disboards.com/

It's in the evening. You can pick up the picnic earlier and have it for lunch. The first showing of World of Color is around 9pm and buying the picnic will get you a fastpass for a seating area for the show. If you don't want to get wet, don't get too close to the front. I like behind the circle.

This site has a lot of good info about the parks. WDW and Disneyland resort http://www.disboards.com/
Where are the fireworks at? Are they at the same time?

Depending on which park you are at, fantasmic is at 10 in the old park and world of color is at 9 at the new california adventure park from what I remember

I wonder if Disneyland or Disneyworld is better. I've only been to Disneyworld, and that was awesome.

I wonder if Disneyland or Disneyworld is better. I've only been to Disneyworld, and that was awesome.

I loved both, but disneyland has the same rides but different, it's really a different experience

Depending on which park you are at, fantasmic is at 10 in the old park and world of color is at 9 at the new california adventure park from what I remember
Looks like they both have showtimes at 9pm and 10:15pm. So for world of color you don't buy tickets to it, you have to try and get a fastpass to get in?

Looks like they both have showtimes at 9pm and 10:15pm. So for world of color you don't buy tickets to it, you have to try and get a fastpass to get in?

Well you don't have to buy tickets for them at all but you can get fast pass tickets to basically get front row seats, There is a little restaurant with a balcony on the pier and if you go to dinner early enough, you can sit there and stay through the show and finish your meal, they close right at 9 though so if you are there before I don't think they'll run you out. This is it

7302369698_26118101f6.jpg

We are doing Arials Grotto at 5:30pm which is a character dinner with all the girl characters (princesses). So will be out at 7ish. We'll probably then go see the world of color at 9 and walk around between 7 and 9 to see what we can find. Maybe find a line to something that isn't that long.

We are doing Arials Grotto at 5:30pm which is a character dinner with all the girl characters (princesses). So will be out at 7ish. We'll probably then go see the world of color at 9 and walk around between 7 and 9 to see what we can find. Maybe find a line to something that isn't that long.

yeah that's the thing about disney world that is better, they have a section that's like an amphitheater for their night shows

They're at 9:30 at Disneyland. Just about when World of Color ends. You can see them from the courtyard between the 2 parks.

You might not have much time to walk around after doing Ariel's Grotto. People line up early even for Fastpass seating. At least an hour before showtime. If you're not doing the picnics, try to get fastpass first thing in the morning. Not sure if they let you view World of Color from Ariel's Grotto, but you can ask.

Back