Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

That quite the difference in lofts between the two sets.

Any more thoughts on these bhilln?

After last week's monsoon, I was able to get 9 holes in on Friday and 18 in this afternoon. I won't say much about how I played with them on Friday as I couldn't seem to hit anything with any club.. it was 9 holes after work and I'm learning that after frustrating day's at work I just don't have the patience for playing. Was just one of those rounds I couldn't seem to put a good swing on with anything in my hands.

I hit the range on Saturday and was striking the ball much better and spent some time with the J40's again comparing them to my current set. Results mirror my previous thoughts; feel great when struck well and not overly punishing when miss hit. Feeling better about my swing I went out for 18 holes today. Weather was 75, sunny but very windy. WIth all the rain last week, the course was in great shape. I hit all three clubs today a number of times but hit the 9i the most often just based on distances. The course was pretty busy today so couldn't spend too much time hitting multiple balls like I hoped but got a few in. After a few rounds with the J40's, I really like the 9i, have had good results with the 6i and am hit or miss with the 3i. My lack of success with the 3i has nothing to do with the club as I struggle with my long irons anyways. Even with my poor shots, they all ended up playable. I was actually surprised that I could hit the 3i as well as I did as I have always been intimidated by long irons in my bag.

My impressions today after putting the J40's in play are that these could be lethal in the right hands and fitted. I've resolved that the shafts in these are not for me, but knew that going into it. When I put a easy smooth swing on them the results were great. The feeling when striking the ball is very soft and just makes a well struck shot feel fantastic. I was very impressed in how they cut through the turf and the sole worked great for me . My typical miss is out towards the toe and today was no exception; While I did loose some yardage the ball still flew straight and didn't punish me. The amount of forgiveness in this players-looking club is amazing. The thin top line behind the ball just inspires confidence for me.

Overall, I am a big fan of these clubs and the craftsmanship and quality of the club is top notch. I really can't wait to see the rest of the J40 lineup at demo day. If I could get these in the length & lie and proper shaft for me I would be happy gaming these in a heart beat. I think those who will try these out at demo day, or have the chance to game these for MC will be extremely impressed with the feel and forgiveness packed into the J40 package. I'm not ready to give up my Srixon's but if I was in the market these would be hard to pass up. Bridgestone makes a fantastic product and these clubs do not disappoint.

Thanks again to THP and Bridgestone for the opportunity to take these for a test drive. I think this format is great to get some hard to find clubs into a lot of hands.

Great thoughts bhilln, I could definitely see these in my bag as well. They are definitely top notch and worthy of more attention than they get. The Bridgestone staffers for the Morgan Cup have some great irons to choose from!

Great thoughts there bhilln, it kinda sounds like with the exception of duey most have had some issues with the 3 iron.

Great thoughts there bhilln, it kinda sounds like with the exception of duey most have had some issues with the 3 iron.

I had decent success with it, but only off the tee. However, when I bought my set I decided to go with 5-PW and move from there to a hybrid...why make it harder, right?

I could hit some serious missiles with that 3i though.

Thats right I remember you talking about that now. Sorry for the momentary lapse there WE.

Thats right I remember you talking about that now. Sorry for the momentary lapse there WE.

No worries dude, it seems like forever ago that I had these to test. Glad I bought mine while they were fresh on my mind, haha. I am still loving the J40s and have been really working on my game with them and it's finally paying off.

No worries dude, it seems like forever ago that I had these to test. Glad I bought mine while they were fresh on my mind, haha. I am still loving the J40s and have been really working on my game with them and it's finally paying off.

Do you think they are quite a bit more forgiving than the FG tour V2's?

Do you think they are quite a bit more forgiving than the FG tour V2's?

Significantly more forgiving. I just hit them better all around. I think for you, Howzat, it is going to he an awesome transition from the V2s to the J40s. I also think you will see a nice distance gain in them as well.

Significantly more forgiving. I just hit them better all around. I think for you, Howzat, it is going to he an awesome transition from the V2s to the J40s. I also think you will see a nice distance gain in them as well.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Just returned from the Demo outing @ Grand Cypress with the pay it forward J40's .
Many Thanks to Bhilln for the hand off. He's a great guy and can hit the long ball.

I got a chance to hit the 6 and 9 Iron about 8 hits each before my lesson yesterday.

First Impression Wow.

I've never really hit the flighted shaft before but would consider it in the future.
I need to learn more about this shaft, my instructor wasn't sure if this one would be a gamer for my swing it has something to do with the tip flex.

I was short on time and didn't pull the 3 iron but def. will on my next range session.
I'm curious with the flighted shaft on how well this baby will rise off the deck can't wait.

9 Iron I had a nice high flight mostly a straight shot carrying just short of the 150 pin at the range.

6 Iron Once again a nice high flight that penetrated the sky with ease carried just short of the 180 pin mostly a straight flight path.

More to follow after another range session. Then put the beauties into action on the course.
Pictures do not do these Irons justice they are down right gorgeous .

reading through this thread and watching people mash the J40's at Demo Day and on the course has me intrigued

Nice initail thoughts there sharkwrestler. I am looking forward to reading more on these irons.

good thoughts sharkwrestler. There was definitely some J40 buzz on the range last Friday

good thoughts sharkwrestler. There was definitely some J40 buzz on the range last Friday

Theses are some serious Irons that I'm proud to test swing.
It's been a mad week driving back to Md. and returning to work.
I hope to get some range time with the 3 Iron very soon to see if this shaft is the answer to get some launch angle off the deck.
The real test is if my wallet can survive the test.hehe

yeah no kidding, seemed like everyone 4some I played in had at least 1 set of these on hand

I got a chance yesterday to put the 3 Iron into play on a Par3 205 yd hole.
I would normally use my R-11 4 Iron but put the J40 into play.
I hit a nice straight shot with a mid flight ball that landed 5 ft. in on the front of the green that rolled out about 10 ft..
This left me with about a 23 ft. uphill putt that I managed to drain for a Birdie.
It does seem the the lie angle is a bit weaker than my R-11's but having the 3 Iron was like using the 4 Iron with my current set.
I should get time in my warm up holes tonight to check out a few par 5 holes to test the 3 Iron from the Fairway.
I really like the the look and feel of these Clubs. More to report on soon. Thanks

I went back and have been rereading through this thread. I can't for my DPC's to get in. There are been lots of good things said about them in here and now I just want them in my bag. Keep up the good work

Looking forward to your fairway report there sharkwrestler.

This is a follow up to a question of how the 3 Iron performs off the deck.

I played at an executive course yesterday afternoon with my brother.

I used the J40's a couple of times when I could. I had one Par 3 at 140 yards and I was able to test the 9 Iron from the tee box off the deck with great success.
The ball had a nice trajectory and landed about 10 feet left of the pin. The sound that the J40 Forged Clubs make is wonderful to the ear, a nice thwack and the ball is on it's way to the intended target.
I couldn't get a fairway shot yesterday with the 3 Iron but dropped a ball on a Par 4 hole tee box that needed a 200 yd shot to the turn.
I did a short vid. of the shot and you can see that the ball gets off the deck real well.
I was just left of the intended target line about 200 yards out and was able to make the shot to the green.
Thanks for reading.

[video=youtube;WKdvMwe_-Xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKdvMwe_-Xo[/video]

I can't see what's in your bag but would that be a good distance for you with a three iron?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Good stuff everyone. These irons are saweet and so jealous of everyone that has them. I am on the list somewhere down the line to get these.

I can't see what's in your bag but would that be a good distance for you with a three iron?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

200 yards is a 4 Iron usually for me.
I wanted to test the J40 3 Iron off the deck .
The J40's have a slightly weaker angle to them but they produce some solid shot's.
So yes 200 yards would be good for this 3 iron for me to hit. I'm not a big hitter.

I was able to put the 3 and 9 Iron into play yesterday while playing a round with Pmoa.
He can attest the the beautiful sound that emits from the Forged goodness of the J40's.
These Irons are delightful to hit and the flight is something to witness.

Back