Martin Golf Review

Good job Hawk, those are some nice looking shirts, I do have a few that have the same collor issues and it does seem to be isolated to a particular shirt instead of within in a particular brand.

Nice review Hawk, I like the color and style of shirt, but I never wear cotton, unless I absolutely have to.

as stated, nice looking shirt but the cotton and collar issues are a turn off

Bacon collar is never a good look on a high end shirt. I saw this shirt on you at the outing dinner and it had a comfortable look but that should be maintained through out the life of the shirt.
Thanks for sharing Hawk

Great review Hawk. I like what you say about the Pima Cotton being so soft there's nothing quite like it to wear. This will be good to wear early Spring and late Fall. Thanks for the Link to their website
The collar issue is one in a thousand most likely.

Very nice review...will definitely have to look at these for the cooler months of the season. The bacon-collar issue is pertinent...hate bacon collar...but it seems like it's not the M.O. for the line.

Great stuff hawk.. Bacon collar= no good. Cotton= good in early spring and fall.

I love how the review is all honest thoughts.. There are very valid points made and it is nice to know the product is good, but there are some concerns.

Solid review Hawk, definitely a classic looking line. I definitely agree with you that with the vast majority of shirts I own I am able to launder them in a way where no pressing is needed, it is something I now take for granted and don't want to waste my time with this worry.

Curious to know if after pressing the one time, did the collar do this again after being laundered? If not, then a one-time pressing to fix an issue with packaging or something is not a deal breaker to me.

Thanks, guys. Collar issues are a pet peeve of mine with golf shirts, so I had to mention it. Other than that, the fabric was really nice and they've made their way into my wardrobe for work and liesure.

Solid review Hawk, definitely a classic looking line. I definitely agree with you that with the vast majority of shirts I own I am able to launder them in a way where no pressing is needed, it is something I now take for granted and don't want to waste my time with this worry.

Curious to know if after pressing the one time, did the collar do this again after being laundered? If not, then a one-time pressing to fix an issue with packaging or something is not a deal breaker to me.

I first noticed it as I was packing for the outing and I pressed it before I wore it in Florida. When I got home I tried to keep it flat, but another trip through the laundry ended up with what you see in the picture.

I first noticed it as I was packing for the outing and I pressed it before I wore it in Florida. When I got home I tried to keep it flat, but another trip through the laundry ended up with what you see in the picture.

Thanks for the quick reply, that is not something I would want to deal with each time I went to wear the shirt.

5 years ago when I ironed almost every shirt I owned, no big deal, but I don't have anything else in the closet that needs an iron these days.

Just got a chance to read this one and liked what I read. Thanks Hawk.

Thanks for the review Hawk. Even living in mild spring and fall conditions here in the Midwest I still opt for a synthetic performance fabric over cotton anytime I can. That and the dreaded bacon collar are huge turn offs for me. Purely looks though the shirts look nice but I think they need to work on their fabrics and that collar! Great work!

The thing with the cotton is interesting. I really don't mind it at all in 60's and low 70's temperatures, but we are all different in that regard.

One thing I can tell you is that this brand will likely never produce a synthetic fabric shirt. Rick Martin was pretty critical of them in some things I read and watched. He's a pure traditionalist when it comes to fabrics. I think that will limit sales in a way, but there is still a pretty good market out there for what he's selling, especially in the green grass shops. He flat out said that he doesn't care about competitors. He's there to provide a certain type of product and that's it.

Nice review Hawk. Not sure I totally agree with the model but I do think there is a market out there for this line and the style looks good. Living where I do I'm seeing less and less non technical shirts on the course from all ages.

--
Tapatalk2

The thing with the cotton is interesting. I really don't mind it at all in 60's and low 70's temperatures, but we are all different in that regard.

One thing I can tell you is that this brand will likely never produce a synthetic fabric shirt. Rick Martin was pretty critical of them in some things I read and watched. He's a pure traditionalist when it comes to fabrics. I think that will limit sales in a way, but there is still a pretty good market out there for what he's selling, especially in the green grass shops. He flat out said that he doesn't care about competitors. He's there to provide a certain type of product and that's it.

That is very interesting.

That is very interesting.

I don't want to sound too negative, because we all like what we like, but he seemed very dismissive of the tech fabrics and some of the more modern styles. The thing is, I have a closet full of shirts that have fairly traditional designs, but use synthetics. Wearing one from Antigua now, in fact. Cleveland Classics, Fila, and even Nike can be pretty traditional depending on the style you choose.

Good call hawk, I tend to lean towards cotton when temps top out in the 60's and 70's. I see the Martin Golf line as pretty traditional in style and like that in my own choice. They may be a bit out of my league in price, but still a nice option for those who can afford.

Back