Big Break Atlantis

According to who?
Cable TV's highest rated show is on Monday night.
Some of the highest rated shows on TV are on on Monday night.

Monday is one of the best nights to reach audiences actually based on viewership numbers. However the Big Break has a falling audience.

I was going to assume you meant Monday Night Football on ESPN, until I read the WWE Raw comment just above.

Anyways, the BBA producers had to be face palming themselves when their eye candy contestant went out day 1, and one of their better golfers went out day 2. DVR'ing the rest of the way.

Also false.
But its par for the course.
The highest rated cable show is WWE Raw. There will be weeks that they go up and down depending on other events, but Raw is and has been the highest rated cable show for quite some time and is known as such. There are a select few shows that can hang with it such as Pawn Stars, Storage Wars and a few others.

Sometimes all I can do is shake my head. Nice edit by the way...

OK but where are you getting your data from?

Anyways, the BBA producers had to be face palming themselves when their eye candy contestant went out day 1, and one of their better golfers went out day 2. DVR'ing the rest of the way.

Agreed. The BB Atlantis producers could not have been happy about that happening LOL.

I was going to assume you meant Monday Night Football on ESPN, until I read the WWE Raw comment just above.

Live sporting events are not regularly included when comparing "shows" because many times they dwarf the competition.

OK but where are you getting your data from?

From working with the Golf Channel and other TV stations over the last 15 years both with this business and my previous employment.

From working with the Golf Channel and other TV stations over the last 15 years both with this business and my previous employment.

Isn't it possible then that the Nielsen data that I referenced provides a more accurate picture of how ratings based on days of the week have evolved? I'm not saying that you're past experience has led to an inaccurate premise per se, but the Nielsen ratings are what they are.

Isn't it possible then that the Nielsen data that I referenced provides a more accurate picture of how ratings based on days of the week have evolved? I'm not saying that you're past experience is inaccurate per se, but the Nielsen ratings are what they are.

No, its not possible. First of all, you can back track and then say "Oh I meant broadcast not cable", but even that is incorrect. Your numbers that you threw out for broadcast TV is post network season. Meaning the data means almost nothing. Summertime has kicked in and more than three quarters of finales have aired.

Second, you are spotlighting a single week and again, that is not how ratings are done. They are broken all the way down to quarter hours and all the way spread through 5 week intervals.

But like I said before, based on everything I have read, its par for the course.

Isn't it possible then that the Nielsen data that I referenced provides a more accurate picture of how ratings based on days of the week have evolved? I'm not saying that you're past experience has led to an inaccurate premise per se, but the Nielsen ratings are what they are.

You're right, it does. Which still puts Mondays on top, quite handily.

10 PAWN STARS HIST MON 8:30 PM 6,699,000
13 PAWN STARS HIST MON 8:00 PM 5,280,000
14 SWAMP PEOPLE HIST THU 9:00 PM 4,849,000
16 GAME OF THRONES HBOM SUN 9:04 PM 4,202,000
17 LONGMIRE AEN SUN 10:00 PM 4,146,000
18 WWE RAW USA MON 9:00 PM 3,918,000
19 WWE RAW USA MON 10:00 PM 3,911,000
20 MOUNTAIN MEN HIST THU 10:00 PM 3,901,000

No, its not possible. First of all, you can back track and then say "Oh I meant broadcast not cable", but even that is incorrect. Your numbers that you threw out for broadcast TV is post network season. Meaning the data means almost nothing. Summertime has kicked in and more than three quarters of finales have aired.

Second, you are spotlighting a single week and again, that is not how ratings are done. They are broken all the way down to quarter hours and all the way spread through 5 week intervals.

But like I said before, based on everything I have read, its par for the course.

Then why is Nielsen data collected post network season if the data means almost nothing? Why is data shown for a single week if that is not how ratings are done?

Why are yall stil arguing with this fool. Let the troll be.

I was glad to see Audrey go home , she was terrible, and I couldn't stand to hear her talk.

Tapin for bird

At least he's not posting screenshots of anybody named Nielsen in a bikini

Then why is Nielsen data collected post network season if the data means almost nothing? Why is data shown for a single week if that is not how ratings are done?

Good lord dude. I give up.
Believe whatever the heck you want to. Its very common knowledge that after sweeps week, the "tv season" is generally over. Reality TV comes big and new shows that are planned for large success do not debut until the fall.

And once again, I will say, please try to keep this on topic. I brought up ratings personally, because it was once again an area that you posted your "expertise" in and it was false data. This has nothing to do with Big Break and this thread is about that subject and that subject only.

I understand that your entire goal here is to get people to argue with you. And thats fine until it crosses a line. But enough already. Either discuss the show with others, or move on.

I am just glad I'm a fan of Euro Golf. They seem to provide 10x more coverage of that than anything. Kind of funny really.

The European Tour can be pretty sweet at times. I wish PGA coverage would learn something and get back to providing graphics for pertinent stats like drives, distance left to the pin, club selection, etc.

Back on topic, I think it's obvious that the BB franchise has gone south... maybe not jumped the shark yet. It remains to be seen if the attempts by the shows producers to revive flagging ratings will be successful. But they must be pretty desperate to resort to showing topless women getting rubbed down, among other things (that are apparently frowned upon to be discussed on these fora even though they are part and parcel of the show).

I hate to suggest it, but perhaps BB has become a true reality TV show like all the rest of them?

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

The European Tour can be pretty sweet at times. I wish PGA coverage would learn something and get back to providing graphics for pertinent stats like drives, distance left to the pin, club selection, etc.

Back on topic, I think it's obvious that the BB franchise has gone south... maybe not jumped the shark yet. It remains to be seen if the attempts by the shows producers to revive flagging ratings will be successful. But they must be pretty desperate to resort to showing topless women getting rubbed down, among other things (that are apparently frowned upon to be discussed on these fora even though they are part and parcel of the show).

I hate to suggest it, but perhaps BB has become a true reality TV show like all the rest of them?

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Again, I agree with your sentiments. BB has evolved to reality show status with golf sprinkled in. It's in a limbo where it neither succeeds as a golf show (poor golf skills on display) nor as a reality TV show (noticeable lack of drama, backstabing, catfighting, etc.).

But I still find BB Atlantis entertaining as most of its contestants are attractive, in great physical shape, and have nerves of noodles. The BB Atlantis webisodes are also great entertainment, as they shed some light on the contestants interaction with each other off the course.

I lol'ed

The BB ceased proving who the best golfer is the moment they instituted team challenges, which allowed better players to subsidize and mask the performance of poorer players and enable them to go deeper into the season. If BB Atlantis didn't have team challenges, I propose that Aubrey and a few others would have been eliminated much sooner, while better players like Shannon Fish would still be on the show.

I don't begrudge the BB producers for trying to increase the shows viewership by all means necessary. Also, Monday night is not necessarily a great time slot for programming anyway.

Make the show about golf and go get some of the brightest mini your starts that are battling everyday to better their craft. Enough of the rank and file and sub plots. Bring the show back to finding a deserving golfer of a long term contract.
Put 12 guys and 12 ladies in a head to head round robin golf setting, let's see who rises from the ashes. Bring in your pros to mentor and teach. If the GC wants to win rating then make the show about golf, golfers and inside the ropes of those golfers.

Make the show about golf and go get some of the brightest mini your starts that are battling everyday to better their craft. Enough of the rank and file and sub plots. Bring the show back to finding a deserving golfer of a long term contract.
Put 12 guys and 12 ladies in a head to head round robin golf setting, let's see who rises from the ashes. Bring in your pros to mentor and teach. If the GC wants to win rating then make the show about golf, golfers and inside the ropes of those golfers.

Agreed X 1,000

+1 to that

I would watch a show like this as well. But no more team challenges. If only one person can win the big prize, then that person needs to win on his or her own merits alone, without any subsidization from other players via a team.

The show is about golf. Not just tour golf or tournament play - golf.

Challenges like Wolf, match play, skills challenges are all relevant to golf and are interesting to somebody, even if they aren't to everybody.

I found the show more interesting when the contestants were people who were well into life and could really use a break. People with jobs (or struggling to find one), families, and golf talent on the side. I could relate more to people going through the daily struggle. These women, lets just say that they won't be on the street struggling to scrape by if they don't win on the show. It's just not as interesting.

I think that is why I enjoyed BB Scotland so much, and even last years BB Ireland. It seemed like they played a LOT of actual golf, lots of match play type events, instead of this "hit it out of the sand in a short skirt, hope it lands within 10 feet" stuff. It's become totally ridiculous. Buy your way out of an elimination challenge? Why even have an elimination challenge? They just need to go back to the drawing board. We love golf, but this isn't going to last much longer under its current format.

The show is about golf. Not just tour golf or tournament play - golf.

Challenges like Wolf, match play, skills challenges are all relevant to golf and are interesting to somebody, even if they aren't to everybody.

Wrong again. The contestants all aspire to play on the LPGA Tour. A couple of contestants (Meghan and Z) even turned pro and walked away from invaluable collegiate golf experience for what BB Atlantis offered in terms of tour golf prizes.

The BB prize includes, among other things, an exemption to a LPGA Tour Event (2012 LPGA Kingsmill Championship) and fully exempt status and all entry fees covered for a full season on the Symetra Tour. Road to the LPGA.

I would say that makes the BB Atlantis about tour golf and tournament play, even if the golf skills on display from the contestants is anything but.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/big-break-atlantis/what-the-competitors-are-playing-for/

I think you're confusing the prize with the content of the show

I found the show more interesting when the contestants were people who were well into life and could really use a break. People with jobs (or struggling to find one), families, and golf talent on the side. I could relate more to people going through the daily struggle. These women, lets just say that they won't be on the street struggling to scrape by if they don't win on the show. It's just not as interesting.

That's why I liked BB Scotland. Paul, the eventual winner, was a recovering alcoholic, but dude had game. Sure, I wouldn't want that to be the standard for which the show uses to select ALL of its contestants, but it really gave you someone to root for. BB Scotland had the best mix of personalities and from a talent standpoint, was probably one of the better shows. You had Two Gloves, the good 'ole boy from South Carolina, Marty, the arrogant hot head from the U.K., Paul, the recovering alcoholic and smoker, I forget that one guys name that played Paul in the final show, but he was a cool guy and had hellafied game.

I think that is why I enjoyed BB Scotland so much, and even last years BB Ireland. It seemed like they played a LOT of actual golf, lots of match play type events, instead of this "hit it out of the sand in a short skirt, hope it lands within 10 feet" stuff. It's become totally ridiculous. Buy your way out of an elimination challenge? Why even have an elimination challenge? They just need to go back to the drawing board. We love golf, but this isn't going to last much longer under its current format.

I thought BB Ireland was just as gimmicky as BB Atlantis is with all the skills shots, games, and team events. The reason BB Ireland didn't seem as gimmicky was because its players were dressed for cold inclimate weather and just looked like "real" golfers, as opposed to the girls of BB Atlantis who played their first challenge (putting) while barefoot and wearing very casual beach attire. It also helped that the girl contestants of Ireland were all skilled (Symmetra tour) golfers.

The Atlantis season is still young though (much like its contestants), so there may be more traditional golf in store for us and the girls.

Back