Changes at Callaway

This is awesome to hear!! Great great move for Callaway!! I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve for the future of the company. Callaway is absolutely going in the right direction.

I agree JB. Marketing is absolutely huge.

Great products paired with great marketing can be powerful.

Great products with forgettable marketing can still do well on reputation, customer loyalty, and word of mouth, but they don't gobble up the market share.

I'll be really interested to see if Callaway continues to think outside the box as they have in the past few years, which I am sure they will. First with the Backstryke, then with the Razr Fit, and the HEX Black ball and now with the rumors of the prototype driving iron (as yet to be determined if they if they will be released to the public), this is really great news for fans of Callaway.

Wow, TaylorMade is known for their marketing. I wonder if Callaway will do some of the same things TM has done.

I think the biggest question out of all of this, is whether Callaway is going to give him the funds he will need to do a proper marketing campaign. Going purely based on what I see from television and magazine ads, Taylormade has more advertisement out there than any other company.

I have never checked out the financials for Callaway or Taylormade, so maybe Callaway is already spending the same as Taylormade on advertising. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this pans out for Callaway.

I think Taylormade will be just fine though. They should have enough staff on hand to keep their successful marketing campaigns going.

Taylormade has more advertisement out there than any other company.

I think Titleist might even have more than TM right now. Its crazy how much the two of those companies spend, but its obviously working.
I think Callaway does put out and spend quite a bit in comparison to others out there, but to me its just not about spending more, its about spending better.

People laugh at the white driver side of it, but truth be told, its one of the best marketing gimmicks ever created. Pay a ton of players to play a driver. Paint the driver to make sure every viewer knows that all of those players are playing it. That right there is crazy good marketing.

Without know ing the inner workings of either company this seems like a good move. I am sure the person under Arnett has a handle on the marketing and direction of TM. And Arnett can prove he is not a one trick pony and really get Callaway moving upward

People laugh at the white driver side of it, but truth be told, its one of the best marketing gimmicks ever created. Pay a ton of players to play a driver. Paint the driver to make sure every viewer knows that all of those players are playing it. That right there is crazy good marketing.

I completely agree. I think Cobra actually launched their white ZL first, but didnt have the marketing support to back it up. TM came along with their white lines and now when viewers see a white driver, they assume its TM (even if its Poulter and his white Cobra).

I completely agree. I think Cobra actually launched their white ZL first, but didnt have the marketing support to back it up. TM came along with their white lines and now when viewers see a white driver, they assume its TM (even if its Poulter and his white Cobra).

Same thing with adjustability. TaylorMade was not first to the market. They just marketed it better than anybody else and had a very solid product.

If I remember correctly, they also got a top exec (CEO or president?) from Adams, so they've been grabbing up talent.

I think Titleist might even have more than TM right now. Its crazy how much the two of those companies spend, but its obviously working.
I think Callaway does put out and spend quite a bit in comparison to others out there, but to me its just not about spending more, its about spending better.

Very true on the Titleist comment. Now that I think about it, it seems that if you watch t.v. for 30 minutes you are bound to see a Titleist or Taylormade commercial.

For me, up until this last line of equipment, nothing from Callaway seemed exciting. I'm really impressed with the RAZR line, I think Callaway has done a hell of a job with it.

Im not sure I agree here. Cleveland and Ping have not added adjustability. Nickent which was one of the first to do it, had no success with it and was forced to close despite putting out great equipment. I think marketing plays a MUCH larger role that people give credit for. Unfortunate yes, but true.
I think Callaway does much better than titleist in marketing yet titleist seems to be fine. I know marketing plays a big role and I hope it helps, I. Just think the problems are in othee areas.

should be a good move for Callaway. they really have seemed to move down the chain of golf OEMS IMO the past few years. they need to do something to get back on track where they should be.

I think Callaway does much better than titleist in marketing yet titleist seems to be fine. I know marketing plays a big role and I hope it helps, I. Just think the problems are in othee areas.

You think so? Even though we see a commercial every 3 minutes that says "most used on tour"? I dont know, that is a pretty powerful statement.

I would imagine it will take a while for Callaway to restructure and potentially hire new staff, however a great leader, one that produces creative thinking can certainly apply those same successful processes at a new company. For Callaway's sake, I hope it was not lightning in a bottle at TMaG.

Im not sure I agree here. Cleveland and Ping have not added adjustability. Nickent which was one of the first to do it, had no success with it and was forced to close despite putting out great equipment. I think marketing plays a MUCH larger role that people give credit for. Unfortunate yes, but true.

I agree with JB. I saw something not too long ago with the CEO of TaylorMade whee he effectively said just this. His job is to year over year, sell a product to people that they do not necessarily need. On top of that, he has to do it based on the fact that there's little to no actual technology innovation that is significantly superior.

Despite that challenge, TaylorMade has been able to corner a large portion of the market while charging prices on the higher side. Yes, they're not as expensive as some of the small, uber high end products, but for OEMs, they're on the high side. To me, that's the power of marketing.

Whether this is a good move for Callaway is something that I can't definitively say because I don't know what was actually owned and led by this individual. From a macro, external perspective it does appear that if one wanted to improve marketing and hurt TaylorMade, going after their head of marketing would be a good way to do it.

This is very interesting. I was just remarking to someone in the last week that it seemed like I was seeing more Callaway commercials lately. Their recent Razr Fit campaign has been a good one IMHO.

Nothing changes, IMO.

Good for Callaway, funny how many kids I saw with bags full of Titleist and Taylormade stuff this year in matches. Callaway could use that type of exposure.

This could be a game changer for Callaway if he can use their budget in a smarter way. As JB mentioned, the Callaway/Odyssey designs are innovative and unique in a lot of ways, but I agree that marketing has been a weak area for them compared to some competitors.

If anybody has benefitted from marketing genius, it's Taylormade.....sounds like a great acquisition for Callaway!
agree that Taylormade made lots of $$$ with their marketing but for us Taylormade has been a nightmare because of their new product lines/marketing every 6 months. Does this mean Callaway will be doing the same stuff as bad as Taylormade???

I hated how TM is 99% Marketing. I'm glad to see him going to Callaway. One reason I don't really like TM is all the marketing. I wish Cleveland got more publicity cause their clubs are top notch.

I am not a huge TM fan so I glad to see this but as far as marketing goes they are King. I personally do not think it will change anything for TMag as they have cornered the market due to money and their advertising. So many guys on Tour have TMag bags and drivers how could the NON golf internet forum guy NOT go into Dick's or their local chain and not buy a stock White driver that might not even fit them?? I remember back in the days when Callaway was considered cutting edge -- still like some of their old stuff and the new driver actually looks good. Hopefully I can add them to my bag again one day.

If anything all I see is more ads from Callaway. Why else would they bring the guy from TM other than to implement a new ad campaign/blitz or manage a bigger marketing budget. Now if they hired a tech and design guru or a few new engineers that would mean something else. Isn't Callaway doing a restructuring lately?

Good marketing is more than just buying more commercial time and getting your logo out there.

Good marketing means effective use of that ad space and logo placement. Commercials that people remember.

For example - without looking, who can name a non-golf related company whose logo you'll see on every PGA event leaderboard (the one on the course).

Back