Can full tees be bad for iron shots?

I almost always use broken tees on Par 3's....either that or the short epoch tees that are designed for irons and hybrids.

I tee it down to the "cap" on the tee....so just as the neck flares out is where i stop the tee.

If a tee slows down your clubhead speed you have a lot worse problems.

If a tee slows down your clubhead speed you have a lot worse problems.
This! Plus if I was playing with Esox I would pin him down and force him to use a broken tee.

Broken tees always. Unless I am having trouble finding a reliable one, then I use those short tees that sometimes come with the cart and just push it all the way down.

This! Plus if I was playing with Esox I would pin him down and force him to use a broken tee.

It might be easier just to break all of his tees!

Interesting question. I use a broken tee if one is around. I keep 1-2 wooden tees in my pocket in case I can't find a usable broken tee. Whenever I use a THP tee on a par 3 I always bend it up and it's too hard to pull out of the ground.

Odds are if I catch one so heavy the tee would slow it down even further it's going to be such a bad shot nothing would matter.

I almost always use broken tees on Par 3's....either that or the short epoch tees that are designed for irons and hybrids.

I tee it down to the "cap" on the tee....so just as the neck flares out is where i stop the tee.

love using the short epoch tees for everything but a driver. I made the mistake of using the longer tees on a few par 3's and snapped them off.

May be a little off topic but I tend to wiggle short tees when i'm hitting irons off the tee. I find it stops me from breaking the tee and i'm guessing if there was any resistance the little wiggle would reduce the resistance !!!!

Not to sound harsh, but if your worried about the tee slowing down your club when you chunk it then you have bigger issues than the one foot difference it won't make. I use whatever tee is around. If I can find a broken one, great, if not then I pull one from my pocket and use the same tee i use to hit driver with. And just put it down to cup. In reality you really don't want to touch or barely touch the tee if you are hitting down in to the shot correctly anyway. I rarely touch the tee on par 3.

Not to sound harsh, but if your worried about the tee slowing down your club when you chunk it then you have bigger issues than the one foot difference it won't make. I use whatever tee is around. If I can find a broken one, great, if not then I pull one from my pocket and use the same tee i use to hit driver with. And just put it down to cup. In reality you really don't want to touch or barely touch the tee if you are hitting down in to the shot correctly anyway. I rarely touch the tee on par 3.

While I agree it likely makes no difference whatsoever, the tee I use usually gets driven into the ground when I hit the ball!

While I agree it likely makes no difference whatsoever, the tee I use usually gets driven into the ground when I hit the ball!

Shouldn't the leading edge of the iron be catching the tee thus pulling it out of the ground rather than driving it into the ground ????

Shouldn't the leading edge of the iron be catching the tee thus pulling it out of the ground rather than driving it into the ground ????

Maybe, but I think if you hit down on the ball, the tee would follow the direction the club is traveling. The tee comes out of the ground on my driver shots.

I don't think it does, but here's a solution:

THP epoch tees. They come with 30 long tees and 10 short tees... and if you can break a short tee, I'll rep the picture of it.

But since you are hitting down with irons, wouldn't the tee give more resistance than just turf, slowing your follow-through?
'Hitting down' is a myth, you want to sweep everything, it is just that your swing arc is lower with an iron because the ball is positioned slightly back of the bottom of your swing arc. You are hitting a less than 1/8 inch thick piece of wood with a piece of metal traveling at 60 miles an hour, a tee having any significant impact on ball flight is just not likely in my opinion.

Thats fine still a good ball/ground contact. That probably then becomes an angle of attack or ball position thing. Most of the time my divot starts infront of the tee but my swing bottoms out about 3 inchs in front of the ball and I play the ball a little farther back than most.

Unless you hit fat or the ball is teed up too high you are not going to hit the tee.

THP epoch tees. They come with 30 long tees and 10 short tees... and if you can break a short tee, I'll rep the picture of it.

I lost one in a decent chunk of sod once. Does that count?

Done it but I dont have a pic. 100 yard par 3 used the Callaway forged wedge 50` took the clean off it.

I've tried full tees, broken, and no tees. It seems to me, the biggest thing is the ball striking, not the tee length. If you hit it fat, it's going to lose distance no matter what type of tee you use. The weight of the tee, and the breaking strength is miniscule compared to the force exerted by your swing, and the contact with the ball, or ground.

DL

I usually just "pinch" up the ground a bit with the heel of my club and sit the ball on that for par 3's

Guess the consensus is that it really doesn't matter. The reason I wondered is that sometimes I will hit one that feels real nice but I'll lose about 20 yards or so on the shot, for no apparent reason. Maybe it is the forgiveness of my irons and I'm not hitting it right but not getting any feedback on it unless I completely mishit it. I think I will start using broken tees anyway just to completely rule it out and give me more confidence. Now that I have it in my head, if I use full tees, I just know I'll mess up because of the mind games.

Guess the consensus is that it really doesn't matter. The reason I wondered is that sometimes I will hit one that feels real nice but I'll lose about 20 yards or so on the shot, for no apparent reason. Maybe it is the forgiveness of my irons and I'm not hitting it right but not getting any feedback on it unless I completely mishit it. I think I will start using broken tees anyway just to completely rule it out and give me more confidence. Now that I have it in my head, if I use full tees, I just know I'll mess up because of the mind games.

You will lose a lot of distance by not hitting the ball as close to the center of the club face as possible but that has nothing to do with the tee.

I have been using a tee on par 3s (pushed to the ground only about 1/8 inch up) for many years and specially after I read an article about Sam Snead using a tee on par 3s
"
Sam Snead was once asked by another golfer why he used a tee on par 3s. SS's answer: I play golf for money. I use every advantage that I can."

Always use a tee on par 3's. Any time you get a chance to give yourself a perfect lie go ahead and do it.

Back