Custom wedge bounce?

Super Tuna

You can't scale this!
Reaction score
Handicap
Evening,

Anyone know if OEM's will do custom bounce options for us mortals or can I only do it through bending it after the fact?

Evening,

Anyone know if OEM's will do custom bounce options for us mortals or can I only do it through bending it after the fact?
You can also do grinding to change the bounce.

Some will. What are you looking for?

5 degrees and most companies don't give that option with 54's or 58's besides Miura. The black oxide is sweet and all but not $200 a wedge sweet

Didn't know about the grind changing the bounce Biggsy. For some reason I just thought certain grinds were better suited to certain bounce levels

Just wondering but in Vancouver with what I would guess are mostly soft and wet ground conditions why would you want low bounce? Wedges will dig in too much into soft ground without enough bounce.

Well a 56*10 would be a 52*05.

And a 60*08 would be a 57*05.

I'd go that route Brah.

According to my calculations chart the 56 at 10 would be 52 at 4....Am I missing something?

Well a 56*10 would be a 52*05.

And a 60*08 would be a 57*05.

I'd go that route Brah.

Cheers you hawky lover (double pun FTW : p).

Cheers! I'll go have a gander

Just wondering but in Vancouver with what I would guess are mostly soft and wet ground conditions why would you want low bounce? Wedges will dig in too much into soft ground without enough bounce.

Generally that would be the case but with my sweeping/picker swing I find I don't like a lot of bounce. When I went from CG14's to xFT's the bounce dropped from 14 to 9 which brought down the amount of botched wedge shots a lot. After playing with a friends Vokey that had 4 bounce, I found once again I was much more consistent with full and partial shots.

What has two thumbs and is awesome at late night math?
ROlpb.jpg

According to my calculations chart the 56 at 10 would be 52 at 4....Am I missing something?

But wouldnt 56 bent be 52*06?

What about vokey wedgeworks? Or are they just aesthetically 'customized'

What has two thumbs and is awesome at late night math?
ROlpb.jpg

But wouldnt 56 bent be 52*06?

That is what I meant, not 4, but 6. I think you had 5 above. Each degree (generalization) changes one degree of bounce based on my calculations.

Yeah, I figured you meant that, I just wanted to be super sure. I was going off of the same calculations, but it was late, and the hawks just lost. Well, it was just a rough night.

That is what I meant, not 4, but 6. I think you had 5 above. Each degree (generalization) changes one degree of bounce based on my calculations.

If youre definitely sure you need the 5* bounce, check out some nike wedges. I know they have some 6* options. They are the only line I am familiar with on the bounce angles though.

I have a question for wedge users that are looking at certain bounces, and maybe this is not the right place and it needs a new thread....

But what do you do if you play different courses with different conditions? For instance for fluffy sand, I need to have more bounce in my SW than a tighter lie. I have learned to carry different wedges because of it, but I guess the question really is...

Are we spending too much time focusing on something that is a changing variable?

I have a question for wedge users that are looking at certain bounces, and maybe this is not the right place and it needs a new thread....

But what do you do if you play different courses with different conditions? For instance for fluffy sand, I need to have more bounce in my SW than a tighter lie. I have learned to carry different wedges because of it, but I guess the question really is...

Are we spending too much time focusing on something that is a changing variable?

I think it does absolutely need its own thread.

Personally, I completely agree with your entire post. I love my wedges and bounce angles. To get around scenarios like the ones you just stated, I just use ball position to adjust bounce.

I have to say I have yet to find a SW, LW that I'm really comfortable with, bounce or loft. My dream is to find a wedge set that fits me.

I think it does absolutely need its own thread.

Personally, I completely agree with your entire post. I love my wedges and bounce angles. To get around scenarios like the ones you just stated, I just use ball position to adjust bounce.

Good call.

I would rather learn to hit different shots with the clubs I have. I have never felt the need to have different clubs, but this is just me. Same reason I really don't see the need to purchase a adjustable driver, or adjustable clubs in general. Just adjust the swing.

I'm going to revive an old thread I found in the search here...lesson here folks, search, you can find what you need.

I won a 588 Black Pearl at the Outing thats been sitting in my overflow bag since, because it has more bounce that I like. Its a 56*/14*, I really like my wedges to be in the 8*-10* range as thats what I have found to be the best. Is it realistic to have this ground down to 8-10* bounce? Its something I dont have a desire to do, because I don't want to ruin a $130 wedge, but I have a very good custom builder about 5 minutes from my house that I'm pretty sure could do this. Just how practical is this?

I play different sorts of courses and have a variety of wedges in my garage...but I have made myself stick with my three XFT wedges (50/52/58) and just try and adjust the clubs I have to the shots I need....
however with the new set of irons I have coming ...my beloved XFT wedges are going to be wrong to fill the gaps.....so do I try and get them bent to change the gaps...or do I save and get some ATV wedges and get them bent to fit....as the way I understand it they don't have a bounce that will change if they get bent.....I haven't had a chance to play the Cobra trusty rusty wedges that come in black which looks cool.....and black shafts too.....but I like the KBS shafts in the Taylormade wedges

quick, cheaper solution, get the Taylormade ATV and don't worry about bounce ever again!

Back