Conflicted over putter

Canuck227

Reaction score
Handicap
Just purchased a TM Manta center shaft putter, had been playing the TM Fontana Classic 79 Series. This is the first center shaft putter I have ever used, was hoping it would help prevent face turning when Idont hit it center mast. I also added a Super Stroke Slim 55 Oversized grip. I love the feel of the grip, I dont choke the grip now, the ghosting and duel allignment lines really suit my eye....problem is, I'm not scoring. I know there is an adjustment period but to have this club feel so right and not see the results is very frustrating. I know it's simple trial and error. My question is can you love a club that just isn't performing?

I love low scores more than clubs. If you are happy with the club maybe it will just take more time and the scoring will follow. There is a confidence factor that comes with liking your putter.

I've got to believe the only way to "blame" the putter for not scoring is to test it in a scoring environment that is common. Are you playing your home course and missing putts that you know you should be making? Are you making those putts with your old putter? More info please.

I love my Mashie M4 but because of a swing change, I am pulling everything due to the offset. I refuse to let it go. I will work through it. Just love the Mashie. Just keep working at it man. It will come around. Play around with a few different things on the practice green. You will find something that works for you.

Yes you can...I have a love/hate thing going on with my putter..I bought this Ping Zing 2 in mid 90s...Most times I'm happy but like all of us, I constanttly try to "get better" through new equipment..Has never happened with my Ping..I always come back to it..I have way more good days than bad days (Operator error mostly)..It's too light and a bit too short but it just fits my eye and I always return it to the bag..

This is the first center shaft putter I have ever used, was hoping it would help prevent face turning when Idont hit it center mast. My question is can you love a club that just isn't performing?

First, it's not the center shafted aspect of a putter that helps prevent a putter's face from turning on off-center impact. It's the MOI of the putter head itself which dictates its resistance to off-center hits.

As for your question, sure you can. Anything is possible. Why a person would love a club that doesn't perform is another question altogether.

I have played 4 rounds with the new putter. What i am finding two things and they are in direct contridiction with each other. On 4 - 10 foot puts, I seem to be putting through the break and missing on the high side. On longer putts I am not getting enough on the ball and coming up short. I know that by going to an oversized grip I not only have a softer grip but have eliminated the wrist snap, so I have to get use to a longer back swing and subsequent follow through while not closing the face. As i said it's all a matter of practice. My dilemma, as howzat stated, I love low scores, and my goal this year is to get into single digits. I cant continue to play with one putter and practice with another. I either give up on the new putter or accept the time it will take to make the adjustments and move ahead with the change.

I have played 4 rounds with the new putter. What i am finding two things and they are in direct contridiction with each other. On 4 - 10 foot puts, I seem to be putting through the break and missing on the high side. On longer putts I am not getting enough on the ball and coming up short. I know that by going to an oversized grip I not only have a softer grip but have eliminated the wrist snap, so I have to get use to a longer back swing and subsequent follow through while not closing the face. As i said it's all a matter of practice. My dilemma, as howzat stated, I love low scores, and my goal this year is to get into single digits. I cant continue to play with one putter and practice with another. I either give up on the new putter or accept the time it will take to make the adjustments and move ahead with the change.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

sounds like you bought the CS putter to solve a problem that a CS putter doesn't really solve (saving direction on mis hits)

if it's not working better than your old putter, why not go back to your old putter or try a different style of putter that may help your putting issue (high MOI mallet)

really no way to learn other than trying a bunch of putters, go try a bunch.. the CS putter will get better as you use it more, but if it doesn't fit your eye it may never be as good as your old putter, or you could be missing out on a different style of putter that would work much better for you

It sounds like everything is there as far as comfort level and feel....just need to get more used to it.

Just purchased a TM Manta center shaft putter, had been playing the TM Fontana Classic 79 Series. This is the first center shaft putter I have ever used, was hoping it would help prevent face turning when Idont hit it center mast. I also added a Super Stroke Slim 55 Oversized grip. I love the feel of the grip, I dont choke the grip now, the ghosting and duel allignment lines really suit my eye....problem is, I'm not scoring. I know there is an adjustment period but to have this club feel so right and not see the results is very frustrating. I know it's simple trial and error. My question is can you love a club that just isn't performing?

sounds like you bought the CS putter to solve a problem that a CS putter doesn't really solve (saving direction on mis hits)

if it's not working better than your old putter, why not go back to your old putter or try a different style of putter that may help your putting issue (high MOI mallet)

really no way to learn other than trying a bunch of putters, go try a bunch.. the CS putter will get better as you use it more, but if it doesn't fit your eye it may never be as good as your old putter, or you could be missing out on a different style of putter that would work much better for you

If you find that this one doesn't work for you if you have a Golf Galaxy or GS near by try out the Nike Drone.
It isn't that pretty to look at but once you try it you'll see a vast improvement on Off center putts not turning the club. Good Luck

If you find that this one doesn't work for you if you have a Golf Galaxy or GS near by try out the Nike Drone.
It isn't that pretty to look at but once you try it you'll see a vast improvement on Off center putts not turning the club. Good Luck

I was first intrigued by this putter when I saw Suzanne Pettersen use one during the most recent Solheim Cup. While I don't think it will kick my TaylorMade Spider out of my bag, I think it's a fine putter and a great offering from Nike.

I was first intrigued by this putter when I saw Suzanne Pettersen use one during the most recent Solheim Cup. While I don't think it will kick my TaylorMade Spider out of my bag, I think it's a fine putter and a great offering from Nike.

I Love the way it rolls. And the sound stands out as well.
+

I Love the way it rolls. And the sound stands out as well.
+

Agreed. It's definitely a solid offering. A small part of me wishes that my Spider wasn't so "money" so that I could put the Drone in my bag. But as it is, the Spider is a fantastic solid, consistent performer and I don't believe in messing with a great thing.

I think Wie should consider using a Drone. It might help her putting from a mental aspect as she sees more putts roll into the hole.

Back