Android Phone Thread

Ordered online through my service provider here in aus. We get the international version as LTE is really only available in major cities at the moment here. Having used a few different versions of android I can safely say that ice cream sandwich is the best by a LONG way. It helps that it has a phone that simply doesn't lag.
Im really not a brand loyal person. Im typing this on my iPad now and I have an iMac as my main computer however apple are going to have to do a lot with the iPhone 5 to come close to even touching this.

My thoughts exactly with iPhone 5, as iOS 6 was a big letdown.

As far as the S3, I have heard it feels a bit flimsy and cheap in hand, any issues with that or the overall build quality?

If the S3 is anything like my S2, I may be upgrading as well... Love my S2. Battery life is just ok after a year's use, but that's to be expected on a smart phone. Still light years ahead of my old EVO.

So glad I found this thread. I am a huge Android fan and currently have an HTC Thunderbolt that is rooted and custom ROM'd. Once ICS is available for the Tbolt the development community will have a working ROM with in days of its release( I have heard as early as July). If you have an Android device I highly recommend rooting, it is a great way to get the most out of your device. Just my 2 cents.

I can not wait to get my hands on an SIII. I really feel that this phone is going to set the standard for smartphone from here on out. My only concern is my unlimited data from Verizon, from the research I have done if you buy a phone at full price then you can keep the unlimited data plan. If you decide to take a discount on a phone then they will force you into one of the new shared data plans that are on the horizon this summer.

I saw a setting under 'Developer Options' called 'Dont keep activities' which then says "Destroy every activity as soon as the user leaves it". Is the setting for multitasking? I saw on a nerd forum that someone mentioned turning this off for a huge battery increase but mine is always off. Which is probably why when I go back into an app I left running it totally reloads?

I saw a setting under 'Developer Options' called 'Dont keep activities' which then says "Destroy every activity as soon as the user leaves it". Is the setting for multitasking? I saw on a nerd forum that someone mentioned turning this off for a huge battery increase but mine is always off. Which is probably why when I go back into an app I left running it totally reloads?

I believe that setting is the gripe people are having with multitasking on the One-X

I believe that setting is the gripe people are having with multitasking on the One-X

Yeah I'm not sure if I should check it or uncheck it. I bet it kills my battery life if I uncheck

depends how the developer coded the app when you switch over to another. Most apps aren't good at running to a min switching.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

Rooted my Galaxy S3 for Tmobile. Samsung really makes it easy to root. Makes me wonder why they even bother trying to lock down. Took me 5min to root after downloading the correct files. Would have been quicker to root but didn't want to trip the flash counter.

Installed CPU Sleeper app to make sure the 2nd cpu stays asleep when screen off. Time will tell if it really does save battery

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Rooted my Galaxy S3 for Tmobile. Samsung really makes it easy to root. Makes me wonder why they even bother trying to lock down. Took me 5min to root after downloading the correct files. Would have been quicker to root but didn't want to trip the flash counter.

Installed CPU Sleeper app to make sure the 2nd cpu stays asleep when screen off. Time will tell if it really does save battery

Stupid locked verizon bootloader.

Have you not been able to root your Verizon GSIII? That would drive me crazy. Not that I flash ROMs all the time but I like the customization that comes with rooting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

From the YouTube videos I've seen and, it's just an extra step to unlock the Verizon bootloader. I won't lie, it is nerve wrecking every time I rooted a device. Good thing the XDA and RootzWiki guys have got It all figured out.

From the YouTube videos I've seen and, it's just an extra step to unlock the Verizon bootloader. I won't lie, it is nerve wrecking every time I rooted a device. Good thing the XDA and RootzWiki guys have got It all figured out.

Agreed if it wasnt for those guys and Youtube I would have never rooted any device. How is the ROM selection for the GSIII?? I would imagine pretty good at this point.

Agreed if it wasnt for those guys and Youtube I would have never rooted any device. How is the ROM selection for the GSIII?? I would imagine pretty good at this point.

Lots of them out there now. Ive been using the Rom Manager app to download new ROM's and install on the spot. Makes it super easy to do. Im running the CyanogenMod Nightlies wich are hit and miss but I sort of find that fun to do. Each one has its own personality, some might call it issues, lol.

Lots of them out there now. Ive been using the Rom Manager app to download new ROM's and install on the spot. Makes it super easy to do. Im running the CyanogenMod Nightlies wich are hit and miss but I sort of find that fun to do. Each one has its own personality, some might call it issues, lol.
JellyBean will be on my S3 by the end of the weekend. Im going to sit down and get it done sometime.

JellyBean will be on my S3 by the end of the weekend. Im going to sit down and get it done sometime.

Ive really been disappointed in your effort so far. I hope to see you finally make this happen. No bricks allowed either.

Ive really been disappointed in your effort so far. I hope to see you finally make this happen. No bricks allowed either.
I was all ready to do it last week, but then going out of town and blah blah blah, never did it. The site you used made it look SO simple, until at the bottom there was that pain in the a$$ disclaimer, "This does not work on Verizon Galaxy S3"

Id like to know how many of you use widgets and which you are using? Some of them are sooooo good right now.

Id like to know how many of you use widgets and which you are using? Some of them are sooooo good right now.
I use multiple;

The stock Touchwiz Calendar widget or Simple Calendar Widget
Twitter Widget
Sportacular widget
Gmail widget

I change them up quite often. I LOVE the widgets on my Note 10.1, a full screen calendar widget it pretty awesome.

The main one that I'm using is Simple Calendar, because the native calendar app on my Droid Razr M just sucked. I liked have a full screen where I could see all of my events for the next few days without having to get into an app.

The main one that I'm using is Simple Calendar, because the native calendar app on my Droid Razr M just sucked. I liked have a full screen where I could see all of my events for the next few days without having to get into an app.

I like Simple Calendar. The one on the Samsung is better than the Droid, but I still think I like the others better. Messing around with Jorte right now.

I like the fancy widgets clock/weather that updates the weather/temp wherever I go via gps.

I use the Tweetcaster widget and it takes up a whole home screen but I use it all the time. Also Pulse which is new reader and has great widgets definitely worth checking out. I also use the Play Music widget as well great for easy quick access to music.

Yeah I figured that the developer support for the GSIII would take off and get a lot of attention. I am on the Gnex and the dev. support for that is unreal and almost too overwhelming. I am still on 4.0.4 but looking to find a nice stable JB ROM in the near future.

I use the Tweetcaster widget and it takes up a whole home screen but I use it all the time. Also Pulse which is new reader and has great widgets definitely worth checking out. I also use the Play Music widget as well great for easy quick access to music.

Don't forget to add THP to Pulse. We are on there. :D

On my main screen I have two the stock Google Weather which is in JellyBean I think and I have Kmac @THP widget.
Then over one screen I have the EverNote Widget and calendar. EverNote is freakin awesome. So many cool things you can do with it and they sync with all your devices.
Go a screen the other direction and I have the Twitter widget, Scorecenter and USA Today.

Back