Is workability overrated in amateurs?

I wish I could hit them just straight, pretty much only the occasional 3 wood goes straight, the rest are big draws and hooks. I'm trying to work on putting slice spin on the ball in order to combat my hooks, we'll see how that works out in the coming months.

The only advantage you have with shaping shots is that once you're really good at it, you can increase your distance slightly with a draw, or get shots to stop quicker with a fade, and you can maneuver around obstacles instead of trying to carry them.

Golf is hard enough, if you have to hit a cut or draw to get to a pin, chances are it's a sucker pin and you should be going for the middle of the green

"That's why no one will remember your name." - Achilles in "Troy"

"That's why no one will remember your name." - Achilles in "Troy"

Does that mean go after pins or else no one will remember you?

I don't think it over rated at all. Knowing how and when to play different shots will save shots. But I also think most golfers need to work on solid, consistent contact before learning to work the ball.

I will always go for a straight shot. Working the ball for me is if I'm in trouble.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

With all the balls meant to go straight nowadays, it's getting even tougher to bend it like we could with the tour professionals and the Balata's.

With all the balls meant to go straight nowadays, it's getting even tougher to bend it like we could with the tour professionals and the Balata's.

I don't think any of my golf balls got that memo. Stupid golf balls, LOL.

I think it is overrated in one respect. Too many people try to work on everything at once. I can hit draws and fades, but not on purpose. So I have no business even thinking about trying something like that until I learn to hit the ball solid and straight 95% of the time. Then and only then should I start trying to learn the "trick" shots.

I think it is overrated in one respect. Too many people try to work on everything at once. I can hit draws and fades, but not on purpose. So I have no business even thinking about trying something like that until I learn to hit the ball solid and straight 95% of the time. Then and only then should I start trying to learn the "trick" shots.

Now that's a smart strategy. As a 9 handicap, I can hit draws and fades at will, but still overcook or undercook it from 25% of the time. But the only way to get better and more consistent is to practice it both on and off the course, so I do.

I've never seen anybody get more proficient at something by doing it less LOL.

Absolutely. Just work on hitting the ball straight. It will improve you game immensely!

I think amature is very vague. For someone who is a bad ball striker I think they should just try and hit it straight and if someone is a great iron player they should try and work it as much as they want. If someone has more fun by trying to work the ball and aren't great players more power to them me I pretty much just try and go straight unless it fits my eye and that happens 2 or 3 times a round with limited success

. . . I play it as straight as possible unless I have to work it. When you do need it, it is nice to have the ability. . . .

I think this where I fall as well . . . though I usually have to end up trying to work the ball because I can't hit it straight well either. :D

Hit is straight. Aim for the middle of greens and score. Once you get comfortable with that, work on the bending of shots to get even better.

I just loved watching Tiger Woods just work his approach shot (low slinging hook) into the pin on the 4th hole of the US Open today.

It was a thing of beauty.

Back