What's the most most stupid or unlucky thing to happen to you on the course?

I was a passenger in a golf cart when the driver decided to stop paying attention and we flipped over into a ditch. I was even more pi$$ed when I noticed I had a tick on my arm from rolling around in the weeds.

Mad about a tick? That must be a Canada thing or something...

If I didn't have people who could vouch for this I would never even tell this story. I was playing in a high school match at a course that has two side by side holes a short paragraph four down the hill and a three back up. I drove even just short of the green and with no one in front of us I took what I needed to finish the four and club to tee off coming back up the hill to the green and place my bag near the next hole. My tee shot went well right and hit my bag. When we went up to the area where my bag was my ball was no where to be found until I pulled out my wedge and along with it came my ball. The ball had gone in my bag... Needless to say I got a lesson on unplayable lies that day.
Hopefully you got a lesson in penalties for hitting your own equipment that day too, haha.

Hit what I thought was a perfect gap wedge to a short par 3 sure enough it bounced off the pin on the fly rolled off the green down the hill and into a lake... Or managing to get a drive stuck in a hole in a tree.. Although that one did make me laugh haha

I was with my mate at the driving range who doesn't play much golf..he got the highest tee and hit the tee with a open face lob wedge and I swear to god the ball went straight up the tee wobbled a bit and the ball landed back on it.. Not bad luck but I just thought it was incredible..

Ouch man... that was very honorable of you to step up and be honest though. I bet some wouldn't think twice about going ahead and playing on with the ball that wasn't theirs.

Never could have lived with myself if I wouldn't have said something and things turn out different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never could have lived with myself if I wouldn't have said something and things turn out different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes exactly. You would have regretted winning dishonestly. Might have haunted you forever. Well done!

This will fall under stupid, in the Bloomington City Tournament during the second round, I three putted the ninth green and proceeded to slam my putter on the ground and break it. Lost 2&1.

Most unlucky thing is hitting a teammate in the head while he was standing under a tree during a match. He was one under and wound up 5 over. I hit him on his sixth hole.

Well, on the front 9 today I was forced to hit two shots that were wedges up against trees left handed today. The kicker is, neither of the drives that I hit were terrible...one a bit right of the fairway that took a wicked hop left (1st hole), and one that was a 5 iron off the tee that went through the dogleg (new course, didn't realize the landing area was a rock and it took a HUGE hop) on a perfect stroke (4th hole).

Had to hit both backwards a bit just to get them back to the fairway.

Not my worst luck, I'm sure, but since it happened today it seems pretty darn close to it.

Playing a great money match with the guys on the Heathland course at Legends, Myrtle Beach about 6-7 years ago. The match is tight, we're all playing career type rounds, I'm 2-up going into #13. It's a par 4 with a ravine crossing the fairway about 270 out.

I pull 3-wood and stripe it right down the middle, medium-low draw down the pipe. As the ball contacts the ground, miraculously, it suddenly bounds about 60 yards dead right into tall grass and bushes. Lost freakin' ball. Rub of the green, I get it. But that was less rub than it was kick in the nads! :wink:

Strange thing is, we couldn't figure what the heck it hit. No pronounced sprinklers, the yardage markers weren't very hard as they had some give to them. The guys joked that it ricocheted off of some poor animal's noggin.

No idea, all I know is I was rattled, lost ground but got it back only to lose on 18. Grrr.

Had a similar situation to yours. Short par 3, hit my GW thin, flies past the green and down a small hill. I figure it's right there in the rough so don't hit a provisional. Ball ended up rolling into the woods behind the green, but I can see it (playing a yellow E6) sitting on an incline. Go down to get it, scratching up my legs in the process, and right as I get over my ball I slip and fall a good 10 feet sliding on my behind. I ended up just saying screw it and went back and hit another. The best was my buddy laughing his butt off when I came back bleeding and with stains on my shorts

A buddy of mine and I were playing in FL, we are walking down the fairway and he steps into a little hole for a sprinkler and breaks his ankle. I mean you heard it snap. He was in agony and it was all I could do not to laugh my butt off. I still give him grief for that.

Playing a dogleg right par 4 I always try to land it right at the corner which leaves an iron shot to the green from a good angle, cut the corner too much and I'm in the hay on a severe slope. See my ball and go in to retrieve it, forget to set the break on my pushcart which comes rolling into the hay with me and I look up from trying to grab my ball to see my cart falling over and reach to catch it which I do but that throws me off balance. Cart and me tumble about 10 yards down the slope clubs are all over the place, my back is hurting from pulling a muscle trying to stop the cart from tipping over and the next day my legs break out with ***** blisters which take about a week to stop itching and go away (not sure what I got into as it wasn't poison ivy). The only good thing of the whole fiasco was no one saw it as my partners were all up in the fairway out of sight.

Edited to add wasn't swearing but did use a term that could be construed in a sexual context, evidently the software doesn't consider context of how a word is used when bleeping.

Unluckily, not just for me, I hit a robin on the fly once. He flew right to left across the fw as I tee'd off and a nailed him about 100 out. Dead as a door knob.

Unluckily, not just for me, I hit a robin on the fly once. He flew right to left across the fw as I tee'd off and a nailed him about 100 out. Dead as a door knob.

We're going to just call you Randy Johnson.

We're going to just call you Randy Johnson.

Haha, but he's tall. I was a teenager when I did that and felt bad about it for some time, lol.

that reminds me of a time I was on the driving range. Hit a drive and then a flock of birds flew right in front of it and it hit one of them. Feathers flew everywhere and it dropped down dead.

that reminds me of a time I was on the driving range. Hit a drive and then a flock of birds flew right in front of it and it hit one of them. Feathers flew everywhere and it dropped down dead.

Yea, it was like a hole in one until you see where the ball landed, lol. Poor little bird.

::deep breath::

While this wasn't on an actual course, it is golf related, and I consider it terribly unlucky.

When I was in 1st grade, I was outside hitting plastic golf balls with a friend of mine, who was in 2nd grade. It was my turn. I swung my 7-iron, first making contact with the plastic golf ball, then making crisp contact with his eye, because he just happened to be walking right behind me. You would have thought a murder had happened there, based upon the bloody aftermath. He had numerous operations as I recall, and his mother wanted me (well, my parents) to be responsible for the medical bills. I even had to go sit in front of tape recorders at a police station/FBI and give my story. Oh, the horror of being a first grader.

~18 years later, people still give me grief when I pull out a 7-iron from the bag.

That sucks man. My sister had a similar experience, but she hit a kid, who was dumb enough to walk up behind her while she was starting her swing, in the mouth on her back swing. She pretty much quit playing after that, it's a shame too because she was pretty good.

I bladed a wedge shot into a Canada goose last year while hitting some balls on a practice hole. (They like to come up off the river that runs along the right side of the hole and hang out in the fairway)I felt pretty bad because it knocked him right off his his feet and he was stunned for a bit. A big puff of down feathers flew off him too. I though I killed him or seriously injured him. I cringed as I watched him flop around for a bit. Then I was relieved some when he somehow regained his composure and waddled off to rejoin the rest of the group. he was still a little unsteady but seemed to be ok, I watched him for quite a while.

I have two unlucky stories of myself both involving ex girlfriends.

First time I had taken a girl out to the course because she wanted to try golf. She was rubbish. Swinging at the air that kinda thing but it was ok we were having a good time. Eventually she said just let me putt I'm holding you up to much. Yeah no worries, get to the 9th and I drop. Ball for her to putt, teaching her to line it up and how to swing the club. For some reason she thought she needed a huge follow through so while I'm not looking she swings with a massive follow through, hits me in the mouth and physically knocks one of my teeth out, broken at the root. Was not a pleasant experience.

Second story is what I believe caused the karma for the first. Took my girlfriend at the time out because she wanted to see what I did at the course though had no interest in the sport of golf. She is enjoying herself walking with me and then on the same hole of the same course the 9th I drive into the trees. So we both go in and find the ball. There is a nice gap in the trees that leads 150 yards or so down the fairway so I go for it. Problem is I hit the ball straight into the tree and it flies backwards and hits my girlfriend in the face, knocks her out cold. She had a massive bump and bruise on her forehead for a coupe of weeks.

Worst unlucky story I know of was a guy I used to work for. He was practicing his swing in the back yard with a wedge and his 3 year old daughter walked into his downswing. She had to be airlifted to hospital and there was a point in time where it was not looking very good at all. Thankfully she made a full recovery and is now about 15. I don't think he has touched a golf club since though.

Wow, that is awful. Golf is such a great game but can be so dangerous with the velocity its tools travel at. Just goes to show you that we need to be careful even though we are doing something so fun and what seems innocent. Very good to hear that she fully recovered. I'm not sure I would be able to pick it back up if that happened to my child if I had one.

The first thing wasn't me it was my friend jason. We were standing right of one of the golfers in our group and the golfer swing hits the club with an open face of the toe and launches it right at my buddies thing missing his family jewels by an inch. He fell on th floor hard. He later said that the bruise was about the size of his hand!

The second thing was that I hit a wedge shot crappy and then accidentally swung at my toe and nearly broke it.That same day I hit the ball into a large mesquite bush which has thousands of thorns and I swung my arm tight into the bush getting some nasty punctures in my arm!!1

When you think the ball goes in the bunker, but actually goes in the water

Back