Irons Review: Maruman Shuttle i3000x

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
Remember the Niblick? Sure you do, there were about 100 pages of posts about what a great concept that club represents and how useful it is on both chips and full shots. For me it was the full shots on the Niblick that were the most amazing- and the most frustrating. Amazing because they were almost automatic in making high, long and deadly accurate shots. Frustrating, because Cleveland teased us with only 4 lofts, and then dropped them down to 3. If only someone would find a way to make a full set with that kind of design, imagine how it could impact your game!

Well, let me introduce you to… The i3000x Maruman Shuttle Irons.

Look familiar? It should. The deep cavity, the wide two-level sole, the shallow long ultra-forgiving face. When I first saw these I was sure Cleveland had made a Niblick set. According to the Maruman website these irons are "a new era iron for the average golfers desirous of hitting a ball comfortably on target". Well OK, not exactly US style marketing, but really, who isn't desirous of hitting a ball comfortably on target?

560963_10151054991471578_1439297597_n.jpg
575803_10151054991656578_1322894354_n.jpg
417555_10151054991631578_715191271_n.jpg

Metal heads

The Shuttle is made of no less than three types of metal. Plasma welded maraging 200 steel for the head, 'super strong' maraging steel 771 for the face and two tungsten inserts in the back of the sole. Very high tech, very high quality. Although the head still feels heavy, the Shuttles use lightweight graphite shafts making them much lighter than the Niblick. They obviously don’t look like a classic blade, or even a classic cavity back, but if you liked the Niblick and don’t mind the idea of a thicker sole and topline, these actually look pretty good.

599873_10151055042801578_788722796_n.jpg

Shuttle vs. Niblick. Less offset on the Shuttle.

So Lighter=More speed=More distance. Like a page out of Cleveland right?

Feels like a winner

But OK I hear you say, the Niblicks were great, but they didn’t feel great, especially the 37* so a 5 iron with this design is going to feel like a banging a crowbar on a rock right? Well actually… no.

With the light shaft giving you plenty of easy swing speed and the tungsten weights promoting a nice square impact, by the time the ball hits the maraging steel face the feel is smooth, the sound is a nice click and the ball jumps off the face as if it was titanium. The mix of materials works very well. The feel won’t be confused with a set of forged Mizuno’s, but it is really really nice. Off center hits don’t feel or sound bad either. You know where you missed, but you won’t need to put your hand in ice afterwards. There is just no comparison between this and other sets aimed at the mid-high handicapper. After using these for a while, clubs like the Burner SuperLaunches or HB3's feel almost harsh and cheap.

A quick word about the shaft. The WLT is a high kick point shaft. The flex plays softer than normal. It’s offered in R2 (waaaaay too soft) R (soft) SR (a standard US R flex) and S (which is more like a firm). If you normally play a true Stiff shaft then go straight to the custom shaft options as you won’t be happy with the stock. For me the 53 gram SR with 4.1 Tq was a great fit.

552713_10151055042851578_1969197931_n.jpg

What about distance? Amazing!, but

Here is where it gets interesting. Forget 17 more yards. My average distance with these irons was 20 yards further than with my Pings across the set- and the Pings are great irons for me. Is it magic!? No. The answer is actually pretty simple and could be a hint at the future of irons in the US and Canada as well.

The shafts are a bit longer than standard (whatever standard means these days) but the lofts are strong. Very strong. The 5i comes in at 22* the 7i at 28* and the 9 at 36*. Wait, does that mean the PW is 41*? No, the PW is a very manageable 46*. So what is in place between the 9 and the PW?

Let me introduce you to…..

Spoiler
The 10 iron.

295287_10151055044426578_1746384273_n.jpg

In a way this makes perfect sense. With the direction lofts and shaft lengths are going and the OEM’s desire to make everyone think they have the longest clubs in the business, it was either extra gap wedges or a new number that had to appear. Gap 2 or Gap 3 following 41*PWs sounds a bit silly, while a 10i actually fits in logically and obviously. What this really means in practice is that from 5i-10i the Shuttles all play one number higher than the number stamped on the head. Looking around the shop, Maruman is not the only brand doing this, as I saw 10i’s in PRGR, and other sets as well. The 10i has also shown up in Callaway and Titlest sets in the past as a kind of specialty wedge, so the tradition of the 10 is there- but its use as the 'new' 9 iron is different.

With that knowledge, the distances come back to reality. The Shuttles are still very long clubs, but comparing apples to apples with my Pings the Shuttles are actually only about 5 yards longer across the board. This is no small feat as the V2's have been described by many as some of the longest irons made and up to now that has been my experience as well. Trajectory was similar to the V2’s high but not out of control, lots of carry and a nice soft landing.

So strong lofts and longer shafts. They can
t be easy to hit can they? Actually, yes they can.

The Shuttles are without a doubt the easiest irons I have ever swung. Like most, my sweet spot with irons is usually the 7 iron. As I travel up towards the 5 and 4 my comfort level goes down and I start looking for hybrid alternatives. But with the shuttles I was able to crack off great effortless shots swing after swing with the 6i and even the 5i (and remember these are basically 4i and 5i lofts and lengths). The comparison here with the Niblick is a good one, standing over these you just know you will make a good shot, and even if you don’t, you know it will still be straight and pretty long. The metal used in the faces is pretty special stuff.

The Pings have a large forgiving Ti face with a small area which if you catch just right is like hitting the afterburners. This can occasionally get me in trouble with touch shots flying way over the target. But the faces on the Shuttles can be hit almost anywhere on that 771 steel face and still end up within 5 yards of the same distance every time. Nice.

Using these would make me think of taking hybrids out of my bag. That is something I never thought I would say. I found the performance of the 5i equal to that of my 5H and the performance of the 6i better than my 6H. Was I impressed? Definitely.

And as a Bonus

I started this with noting how much we liked the design of the Niblick and how great it was at a variety of shots as a chipper as well as a regular wedge. Well with the same kind of design throughout the Shuttle set, you end up with all the same advantages as with the Niblicks for those awkward shots. In my round testing these I tried to get myself in a few awkward places where I normally would be looking for a Niblick- bump and runs from the fringe, strange rough conditions, very tight lies, half shots over hazards etc etc and I am happy to say that the 9i and 10i do an admirable Niblick imitation. They are not as heavy which takes a moment to get used to, but the Shuttles offer the same kind of great control and confidence as the Niblicks in all kinds of conditions.

Further down, the set has an AW and SW as optional add ons. Like the rest of the set they have very wide soles but come with a slightly deeper face and a different silver finish on the sole- because, I guess, they expect a black finish would wear out with lots of sand shots. I am personally comfortable with this design and had no trouble using them from the sand, rough or full shots. But if you like a more traditional wedge with your set then these add-ons are not for you.

394594_10151054991581578_1021671602_n.jpg
559362_10151054991541578_1916072437_n.jpg

A and SW. Very wide sole, but more traditional shaped front face.

The uncomfortable matter of the bill

A high end Japanese brand using multi metal materials and a high tech design. If you are thinking these are not going to be cheap… you’re right. The Shuttle i3000x’s run for about 1300.00 a set here in Thailand and 1400.00-1500.00 in the US (when you can find them). As I noted earlier these are actually last year’s models so deals will likely be out there as the newer Shuttle i3000mx’s are available. However, the 2012 version moves away from the Niblicky design and doesn’t offer the same hot faces. I found the i3000x to be a far superior product.

So are they worth it?

Let me put it this way. I took three of my Niblicks, my full set of Cleveland Xli’s, my Callaway 6H and my Cleveland CG14 56* and traded them all in for a set of in-store 5-SW Shuttle i3000x demo’s. Between the trade in value, the demo discount and the tax back I will get as a non-resident I can just barely manage to justify the amount I paid. I will hang on to the Niblick 56* and my 5H for now, but I have a feeling these will both see mostly closet time.

I still love the Ping V2’s I have been playing, but they don’t offer the same level flexibility or confidence as the Shuttles. So the Pings move to the cottage as the vacation set to replace the Xli’s, while the Shuttles become my new gamers.

The Shuttle’s are not for everyone. If you are working the ball around with your irons then these will frustrate you as they are pure straight shooters. They are not traditional in any sense and if you care about being trendy or part of the crowd these won’t help. And if you are on a tight budget it’s probably best to just keep moving along.

But if you can find a deal and really want a set of irons you can swing away with and be confident in getting long, straight, high, great feeling shots, easy outs from tricky lies, and accurate chipper strikes- I don’t think you will find a better set of irons anywhere than the Shuttle i3000x’s.

Check out the details on the Maruman page

http://marumanglobal.com/site/golf/shuttle/shuttle_i3000x/index.html

Very in depth and well thought out review! The price is certainly up there, but the concept seems pretty good for the player who likes a kind of hybrid set. Not for me, personally, but I can see why the design might help some folks.

Last edited:
I sort of want to hit them just to try them. Seem interesting enough. And I want a 10 iron.

That's a great review 2S, thanks for posting that. Sounds like a really interesting and groundbreaking set.

That was a very well written review. I won't lie. You make me want to hit them .

Outstanding write up TwoSolitudes! I was aware of the brand but not this offering. I would really enjoy giving these a go if I ever saw them as I had decent success with a Niblick prior.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review.

That was a fun and informative review thank you!! Now to find a set to get my hands on and hit some demo shots with them.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

That was a really fun review dude. I want to hit these as well lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

These are cool clubs, I'm sure a lot of people would benefit playing these. Thanks for the review.

Very neat. Definitely makes me want to hit them, but not at that price. Just think if they were forged...

Had a few requests for an update on these- so here we go.

A few more rounds and I am finding some interesting challenges with using these irons, but as you will read these challenges are the kind I think most would love to have.

First, as I am grooving into the swing of these I am finding the distance gains to be even more than I had posted in the review. Doing this in the monitor is one thing, but on the course I am really seeing visible increases that have screwed up my internal distance calculator. The 7i is now a solid 150-160 yards for me but I am still scared to take it out for that distance and end up overshooting with the 6 or 5 iron. I have to completely rethink the irons I use from different distances. Not a bad problem to have!

Secondly my hybrids (which I love) just don't have a place in the bag any longer. The design of the Shuttles is perfect for the bump and runs and better than hybrids getting out of the thicker stuff. I have the 5W for the long par 3's but after that, the 7W, 4H and Shuttle 6i are all about the same distance. The 4H offers nothing that the Shuttle 6i doesn't do, and do better. I can make an argument for keeping the 7W for tee shots, but the 4H is no longer relevant for me.

The finish is holding up very well. The sole shows swing lines of course, but the finish is still sharp and black after cleaning. I was worried that it would look worn quickly- but the quality of the finish is clearly top drawer. The shorter irons and wedges I have actually not used much so far. Generally I have been avoiding the sand and getting close enough to the greens so that a 7i bump is a better option- though I am sure that won't keep up forever!

So overall the combination of the design and the increasing confidence the clubs have given me, has resulted in big distance gains, but has also made my distance calculations wacky. My scores have not gone down, mostly because I am overshooting- but once I get confident with the distances I think I will see some strokes start to fall.

And I just love taking out the 10 iron! Lots of questions every time, but I have planted the ball at 110-115 yards every time I have used it so far. Everyone needs to have a 10 iron.

No regrets so far!

Good update. How has this changed your bag set-up? It would appear you have room to re-introduce a niblick or two, but from the sound of things not sure it would be needed. Good luck with these irons and I'm sure handicap will be moving down soon. From this update it would appear you are getting about 180-185 out of your 5-iron, would that be correct?

Good update. How has this changed your bag set-up? It would appear you have room to re-introduce a niblick or two, but from the sound of things not sure it would be needed. Good luck with these irons and I'm sure handicap will be moving down soon. From this update it would appear you are getting about 180-185 out of your 5-iron, would that be correct?

Correct on the 5i. I have only used it twice but both shots were around 185- and that used to be my 3i distance (when I hit it right). At that distance though I think I still prefer using a 5wood which averages around 190 for me. But that could still change.

Remember to add in that 10 iron to the calculations, but even with that I have an open spot. I am mulling over the Niblick 56, but to this point I have not found anything lacking in the current set up. Hybrids are pretty much gone. Niblicks are gone. The old 56* wedge is gone. My set up for next weekend will be D/5w/7w/6-SW/60W/P and I have a feeling that will be one I stick with.

No 5-iron because it overlaps with the 5-wood? what about the 7-wood? and could you let us/me know what 7-wood you have since it is not listed in your signature, Thanks.
Also one more quick question. I have had no luck or skill hitting the 56* niblick on full shot and not really used to it chipping but did use it some out of the sand and it seems to work best for me if I hit the ball first just like I'm pitching/chipping was wondering if it was the same for you?
Just curious is ball flight lower with these irons? lower lofts would lead one to think so but also a lot of weight on the bottom of the club and the offset might negate the lofts somewhat, Thanks.

Last edited:
This is awesome! I am glad they are working so well for you man

TwoSolitudes: Great initial review and follow up. I really like the pictures. One can tell some time went into this.

I'd love to take a swing with those one day, even if they are way out of my budget. I think that design would be great for the high to mid handicapper.

No 5-iron because it overlaps with the 5-wood? what about the 7-wood? and could you let us/me know what 7-wood you have since it is not listed in your signature, Thanks.
Also one more quick question. I have had no luck or skill hitting the 56* niblick on full shot and not really used to it chipping but did use it some out of the sand and it seems to work best for me if I hit the ball first just like I'm pitching/chipping was wondering if it was the same for you?
Just curious is ball flight lower with these irons? lower lofts would lead one to think so but also a lot of weight on the bottom of the club and the offset might negate the lofts somewhat, Thanks.

I am not a big hitter majBC. My 5Wood is about 190 and the 7Wood about 165-170. So in my case the 5Wood and Shuttle 5i are pretty close with the wood being about 5 yards longer-insignificatnt for me. The 7Wood sits at a distance between my 6i and 7i and just in terms of distance is pretty redundant. But I generally prefer using woods off the tee, so I want to try and keep them in there, as long as I have the space. With my previous set the 5Wood was about the same as my 3i, through hitting a 3i was always an adventure. That should give you some idea of how much longer these clubs are for me. My 7 wood is also a Callaway FTiz (a fantastic club!). I also have the FTiz 9Wood (24*) and for some reason I can get that almost as far as the 7Wood, but with a much higher flight and much less roll out.

For the Niblick, my experience was the opposite of yours. I hit them best on full shots. So well that I was carrying all 4 for a while. The 56* was actually my least favourite at first and I never really liked it our of the sand. But it grew on me and I can now use it very well for chips and full shots. I still prefer a more standard SW for the sand however.

Despite the strong lofts, the Shuttles are high fliers. Not as high as the Xli's/HB3's (which are waaaaaay up there) but certainly the equal of the Rapture V2's- maybe even a little higher. The weight distribution on the head is low, back and on the toe/heal sides, this seems to counter the strong lofts and give you flight much higher than you would expect. When you swing that 5i it feels and the flight looks like what you would expect from a 6i or 7i, but you end up with the distance of a 3i. At least that is my experience.

The niblicks have always been better for me on full shots also. Chipping and pitching seem to take more practice than the full shots with the niblicks. Straight ball flight and very consistent distance was always the norm with the 42* and 37*niblick. Haven't tried the 49* but most people here say it is
the best one. The 56* has been the hardest to get used to and has never found a permanent place in my bag.

Two Solitudes how are the shuttles working out for you? I would be interested to hear some of your results with them as I am sure others would also.

great reviews and very nice looking clubs. has anyone have experience with these and like to share them?

TwoSolitudes,

great review!

i only started learning golf this year. i have all sorts of the problems for the beginners.

My friend has a set of i3000x and feel they are fantastic super game improvement irons. Shot longer and easier!

i am thinking of shall i go ahead to get a set for myself or not. they are quite expensive.

anyone ever compared this i3000x with other super game improvement irons?
specially ADAM a-12 os hybrid iron set which only cost less than half for the i3000x.

Thanks!

Robin in Singapore

i bought Maruman Shuttle i3000AR (the 2012 model replacing i3000x) last friday.

5-6-7-8-9-10 iron, plus p-a-s wedges, totally 9 clubs.

went the driving range twice in the weekend.- they hit longer than TM R9, and very easy to hit, very forgiving.

with the 6-5 iron so eary to hit and so long, i dont feel it is needed to use hybrid anymore.

i am happy with the investment. they are so enjoyable to hit!

full specs here http://www.maruman.co.jp/eng2/shuttle-2/msa/iron/

Last edited:
I'm bumping this very old thread for a signature update. I pondered these for 18+ months before finally taking the plunge.

I spoke with TwoSolitudes for some additional follow up and learned that our games, swing speeds, club preferences, etc. were very similar. It was like talking to my golfing twin. Thanks for the help and for answering all of my questions!

I must admit that I first tried the Shuttles out with a stand alone club. After a bit of range testing (say 400 balls) and a couple of rounds, I started feeling fairly comfortable with the stand alone iron that I bought. I started using it for long lay up shots when there was too much trouble to risk a hybrid or fairway.

I'm not a great iron player and have a slower swing speed, but I was sold when I was able to hit a 165 yard lay up shot that I landed in a 10 yard spot between two bunkers. It's kind of hard to explain the shot, but that was the absolute perfect placement given the location of the pin and the fact that there was no way I was getting nearer to it with anything in my bag. It'd be one thing if it were a fluke, but I hit shots with that stand alone club that looked way, way better than my handicap.

My set arrived from Japan late last week. I'll keep the thread updated as things progress. Due to the price alone, I'll have these irons a long, long time.

Good luck with them rb.

Hope these work well for you, ryebread and keep us updated on your progress with these clubs. Please include how they work differently for you from your other irons.

Back