Blugold's Driver Swing

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Taking a page out of OEM's book, I wanted to open the discussion up on my driver swing. I know I have a bit of a pull swing. I am trying to get more inside out, but it is a challenge to say the least. Looking for any help for fellow THPers.

Well - I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, serious pulls to the left, and after a lesson, my pro showed me how straight my right leg was getting - totally locked up, and a load of light between it and the left leg at the top of the swing (when viewed from behind like your videos). Your right leg is worse than mine! I would suggest keeping that right leg flexed all the way through to the top of the swing. (0:01s on vid1, and 00:20 on vid2). There will be better advice from others though, but that was what jumped out at me.

You have a solid swing! I would suggest two things. 1. Stand a little closer to the ball. You are a tad too far away which will cause a sight pull because you are not able to get to the inside due to the extension in your arms. 2. Keep a consistent flex in your right leg as well as limit your hip turn

These two things combined together are causing the pull. If you were to try to swing more on an out ward plane you would end up blocking your shots. By moving a inch or two closer and allowing your arms to hang under your shoulders you can get the club moving. Slightly more to the inside. This with a continuous flex should produce a more right to left shot.

I would also work on a slightly slower tempo, fast tempo produces more mistakes in the everyday golfer. But all that being said, you get the club in a great spot during your entire swing. You have great extension through the ball, great setting of the club and solid follow through. See if those tips help you.

Thanks guys. I will have to work on keeping the flex in my right leg. I never really noticed it. I guess my distance from the ball probably has a lot to do with my recent missed have been off of the toe.

I will trade you driver swings, looks good man. Only thing I can see is my same issue, lagging on the back with the transfer/balance.

You're swing looks great, but you do cut across it a bit. I do the same thing. Look up some drills online to try to fix it. Also, as you come through it you pull away a bit. Try going through it a bit more. Good swing though.

I got back from a session at a simulator. I pulled some numbers. The swing changes I am making are really showing results.

Driver:
Spoiler
Driver.jpg

3-wood (off of the "deck" in the sim)
Spoiler
3wood.jpg

6-iron
Spoiler
6-Iron.jpg

Last edited:
Wow blu, those numbers are fantastic dude. That's impressive, keep it up!

Dang Blu, those distances are pretty sweet. What other changes did you make in your swing past the flex in your right leg?

Keep up the good work!

I agree - too far from the ball causing your hands to be too flat at address. You can even get away with a slight downward cocking of that right hand at address. A good swing overall.

I agree - too far from the ball causing your hands to be too flat at address. You can even get away with a slight downward cocking of that right hand at address. A good swing overall.

Yeah that swing is all but gone. It has changed drastically.

That's awesome especially with those numbers you've got. Really looking good.

Great numbers, I am guessing more changes other than just the hands and the knee flex? Curious about the loft on your driver, your trajectories with it are very similar to your 3W - that isn't really a bad thing - just wondering.

Great numbers, I am guessing more changes other than just the hands and the knee flex? Curious about the loft on your driver, your trajectories with it are very similar to your 3W - that isn't really a bad thing - just wondering.

Swing changes were leg flex, swing around myself more,, weakening my grip, and starting my down swing with my lower body first. My driver is a 9.5*. I think I may have had my 3wood a little far up in my stance. I was hitting it high on the face. Those numbers with the 3-wood were off of the matt in the sim, not off of a tee.

Last edited:
New Swing Vids

New Swing Vids

New Swing Vids

1st Swing

2nd Swing
[video=youtube;2dhiWM-pAto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dhiWM-pAto[/video]

3rd Swing

Pardon the poor quality. These were shot with the video camera on my droid, in a very dark sim.

Last edited:
That's one quick swing! Looks good though man, and I know you're seeing results!

That's one quick swing! Looks good though man, and I know you're seeing results!

There is some shatty camera stuff going on there to. But I was a little quick in the 3rd video and may have chicken winged it a hair.

How's it looking? Any new ideas or tips?

I know there is another thread with these videos, but that thread is in the Ask the Pro section. I wanted to open this up to the rest of the forum.

This is where I am at now. I have been working on my takeaway and turn to the top. I have to work on the flex in my right leg, but I am seeing some good results with this swing.

Good stuff there Bluegold! You have some Westwood in you on that swing...I had to look twice!

Great swing blugold, the only thing I notice is that you bring your head back with the club, and at the top of your back swing I assume you lose sight of the ball completely or are looking at it with your peripherals, Tadashi helped me a few weeks ago with the same issue, here's a thread where he helped me

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?32966-Driver-Swing-Help

I took some video of the swing that I am working with now. I might be a little long at the top, but in general I am ok with everything here.

[video=youtube;zVhF-us8JFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhF-us8JFs[/video]

Coming around nicely Blu. Is the Covert going to kick out the Fast 12?

Coming around nicely Blu. Is the Covert going to kick out the Fast 12?

At this time, that is the plan yes. I like the Covert so much. I need to swing them side by side, which I haven't done yet.

Nicely done man, where did you shoot the videos at?

Back