TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Agreed. With this ^

I've noticed a few people mention a higher percentage of "fat" shots with these. From my experience this was a problem as well. At least they didn't "dig" hard and just sliced through the turf like a Ginsu, but yes. These seem to get ahold of the the ground a bit earlier than with other wedges I've played. Especially off of tight lies. These puppies take precision striking off of tight lies.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

That was something I mentioned in my first write up, how the ATV's just burn through the turf unlike any wedge I have ever used before.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

TaylorMade ATV Wedge 56*

TaylorMade ATV Wedge 56*

Date: 7/1/2012
Club Tested: TaylorMade ATV 56* wedge
Previous Club: Titleist Vokey
Ball Used: Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow
Conditions: Dry and hot, some wind

Sunday was my first chance to get the ATV wedge out for actual course testing in the real world. While I had a very good initial session with the ATV lets be honest nothing proves worth like actual playing time. Hitting a drive inside the store and out on the tee box are two different things and many times proves to end up being two different drivers. With wedges it may not be as dramatic but you ge the point.

My initial range session / green side practice with the ATV left me very impressed with its versatility and ease of use from the rough. Sometimes I have a bad habit of decelerating on my chips and this was no different with the ATV. I actually felt the more aggressive you were with it the better the results. Of course I didn't hit everything perfect and a learning curve is expected as with any new piece of equipment but the positive vibes were there.

Sunday afternoon and its 10000* outside meant 9 holes for Kmac. Luckily for THP and the sake of testing my GIR's have been very low lately so surely this would give me lots of ATV chances. As it turns out I hit an unusually high number of GIR's but still had my chances with the ATV.

Hole#2. I pull a 6 iron left into a tree but it falls out and leaves me a clean look at the green. Probably 20 yards to the closest point but the hole was clear at the other side of the green. My ball is sitting on dirt of sorts leaving me a TMex like Arizona dessert lie. I get quick and blade that sucker across the green and into the woods. Well this gives the awesome chance to take a drop over on the other side in the rough. This time I take my time and hit a Tiger amount of practice swings. The ATV pops the ball out with ease and ends up 5 or 6 feet past the hole.

Hole#3. My PW approach comes up way short of the green. This time I presented with ATV options. I can go into the green from the right side but if you dont get it close enough it funnels the wrong way and ends up as nasty putt. You can go left off the hill or ridge and if done right funnels down towards the hole. Much more fun shot so that is what I did. Hit it perfect leaving a nice makable uphill par putt that I make.

Hole#4. Short par 3 that I leave way short but perfect ATV chance. Im looking at a shot from the short grass with a few feet to carry to the green and then about 25 feet of green to work with maybe. I give up on it and leave it 15 feet short. Luckily I SeeMore the putt in for a par.

Hole#8. Par 5 that after hitting driver, Heavy hybrid Im left with 58 to the middle according to GPS. Hit the ATV to near tap in birdie range as seen in the picture below. Easily the best ATV shot of the day.

Spoiler
IMAG0133.jpg

Hole #9. I miss the green just off the left side. Hit a real nice ATV to about 10 feet and barely miss the putt. Again a nice shot from the rough that the ATV had no trouble with.

So what to make of it all. Still need more time. The one really bad shot was my fault. The other no so good chip, my fault again. Again I see a wedge that excels from the rough. Its just really good at it and makes it seem easy. As far as hitting full shots with it I'll have to spend more time with it. Id say as a whole it was a very positive round with the ATV. One thing that did stand out was the KBS shaft with the ATV head seem to be made for each other. Just a good smooth feel to it. One thing that comes to mind is the ATV seems to want to do the work for you. My concern is does it want to do too much? That is what testing is for and I intend to find out.

Good info in this thread, I'm curious why people think that this wedge could lead or have a lot of fat shots? The bottom of the swing is the bottom of the swing, regardless of what wedge or iron your playing, so I'm just curious if maybe the turf interaction that this wedge makes shots that were already fat, more noticeable?

Nice read Kmac and sounds like a nice round to boot. I cracked up at "tiger amount of practice swings", haha. This thing does do the work for you and I think some of that answers CB's question below, the added weight seems to be in swing weight.

I don't really see the fats, but often miss hit and sky things telling me I hit just short.

Great job and nice round!

Good info in this thread, I'm curious why people think that this wedge could lead or have a lot of fat shots? The bottom of the swing is the bottom of the swing, regardless of what wedge or iron your playing, so I'm just curious if maybe the turf interaction that this wedge makes shots that were already fat, more noticeable?

Good points Breezy. So far I havent seen any fats like that but I havent hit very many full shots with it either. If people keep talking aboot fats I might not ever hit a full shot lol.

Nice read Kmac and sounds like a nice round to boot. I cracked up at "tiger amount of practice swings", haha. This thing does do the work for you and I think some of that answers CB's question below, the added weight seems to be in swing weight.

I don't really see the fats, but often miss hit and sky things telling me I hit just short.

Great job and nice round!

Thanks Duey. It was a pretty good round and fun too. Its always fun to enjoy a round while testing some equipment.

Good points Breezy. So far I havent seen any fats like that but I havent hit very many full shots with it either. If people keep talking aboot fats I might not ever hit a full shot lol.

Thanks Duey. It was a pretty good round and fun too. Its always fun to enjoy a round while testing some equipment.
That was a great read Kmac, and nice pitch for the birdie. These wedges really have me intrigued and I love all the info in this thread.

I'm kind of with breezey here in that the bottom of the swing is the bottom of the swing. Is there something about the way this wedge sets up or is designed that is causing some to deal with the fatties?

Thanks for the response leiruagetro! I am going to have to hit them and see how it feels. I have always loved my 60, or rather what I could do with it. I hope with the 58, I can still hit a high flop shot. How does the atv perform when you really open the face up?

What a great update inhart. I saw some very good results today but still need to put it all together for a write up.

Thanks Kmac! Glad to see you had some success with it, just read your update and it sounds pretty promising for you. Hope you have continued success with it as you get more time with it. Great write up.

That's why I like IHWT updates, it's really awesome hearing what a scratch golfer thinks about this club since I've heard a lot of talk down here that the ATV is for high handicappers who need game improvement stuff haha, great updates again IHWT!

And also the rest of the testers, keep up the fine work, I tip my hat to you!

Hmm..that weird that people say it's a GI wedge. I would not say that at all, I don't really think any wedge is different than another in terms of GI or not? Well, maybe with the exception of the Alien wedge...

I bought one of these last week on a trip to Miami, played 4 courses with it and really loved it. It felt a little heavier than my current wedges but it gave me confidence. Sadly, I left it on the green of the 9th hole at Crandon Park and no one turned it in.

That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Hart, Jeff, and Darren.....great thoughts!!!!

Thanks Hanks!

I played today and used this wedge from many different types of lies. I am really amazed at how well it is working for me out of the sand. I have hit several shots out of the sand with only one that I was not please with. Full shots with this club are going to be a game changer for me. Chips around the greens are something I am not getting the full potential out of the product, yet. No doubt about it, someone with a better skill level than myself, could really have fun with the multiple bounce around the greens. I will get better with those pitch and run shots but I still need more practice. This wedge could truly take two wedges out of your bag, with practice and trust.

Glad you're loving it out of the sand, OG. That is one of the many really bright spots for me wtih this wedge. Sounds like we are on the same page with the ATV, I'm really digging it on full shots too...can't wait to get it on the course. Plus, I'm with ya on the chips around the green...my chips from the rough around the green are going to take a little adjusting (not really anything negative about the ATV, I just need to get used to how it reacts getting through the rough so easily).

Thanks Hart for the discussion on the 50* wedge. This is looking more and more like a wedge I need to get a little more serious about. May have to try it out again soon.

~Rock

You got it man! Glad to help, I would definitely suggest giving it a try soon.

I agree 110% with the bolded part of your statement and have said the same thing myself. It could actually lead to a little bit of a bag conundrum, because I would have the luxury of adding a club, and I wouldn't know what or where to add. I said, that for myself, I don't think I would need a wedge above the 56*, because it has been flawless around the greens for me.

I haven't had the chance to hit out of the sand yet with the ATV. I finally found myself in a bunker on Saturday, but we were scrambling (and we didn't need my shot), we were on the 17th hole, and it was HOT, so I didn't feel like saying, "Hey guys! Hold up. Let me bog us down for a few minutes while I try this out". LOL. Not being in the sand is a good thing, unless you want to try a wedge out in the sand, then it seems like you never end up in there.

I've said it before, but I agree for most people this club could remove the need for the 60°. For me, I'm a homer for 60°'s, but I really think the ATV 60° will be an amazing addition to my bag...in due time.

Due I completely agree with you. Out of the rough Im not sure Ive ever used a better wedge.

It gets through the rough so well that it's throwing me off what I am used to. In the short term, it's going to cause me a few issues here and there...but in the long term, I think I will benefit great for it's ability to get through the deep stuff so easily.

I'm kind of with breezey here in that the bottom of the swing is the bottom of the swing. Is there something about the way this wedge sets up or is designed that is causing some to deal with the fatties?

The fat comments have really surprised me. For me, it seems to play more like a higher bounce wedge, which would deter the fat shots. On full shots, my divots have been much leaner and cleaner than normal...which I am loving. They aren't as crazy deep as they were before, and the club just slices through the turf beautifully. The club is getting in and out in a hurry (bad word choice). This is paying dividends on my distance control (at least on the range). I come down really hard and steep on the ball, especially with wedges, and I haven't had a single fat shot yet with a fuller swing.

Around the green, the same is true. If I have a standard miss from the fairway around the green, it's a stubby little miss where I take a little too much turf. With the ATV, I am just clipping/shaving the top of the grass beautifully and getting really crisp contact on the ball.

The only thing I can think of is that with the lower leading edge, compared to normal, it might be throwing them off. Another guess would be that some people are decelerating or flipping at the ball and catching it behind the ball...but that would happen with any wedge, so I'm a bit lost on that one. I'm curious for the guys seeing the chunky stuff to chime in with their thoughts on what may be causing it. The few I have caught a little thicker than I'd like have turned out to be "faux fat" shots, as the wedge got through the ground enough that it just came out a little higher and softer...almost like a bit of a decel'd shot that hence a came up a little short, but not unmanageably short.

Like I said before so far I havent seen it too much but its still early and fatties stay up late.

More than likely this is what it is. Kind of like the difference between GI irons and blades with sharp leading edges. You hit one a quarter of an inch behind the ball and you're okay but you hit the other a quarter of an inch behind the ball and you're going to be chipping or pitching on.

Update video coming soon, I'm currently working on it, but here is some screen shots to keep you entertained.

Spoiler
7491991710_ef82421836.jpg

7491992222_d6a960b191.jpg

7491991288_e124ac4e35.jpg

7491963344_78306982e3.jpg

Nice picture sequence Uriel!

Thanks! the ball landed 3 feet from the hole and I saved the hole for par, I'm loving the ATV for sand shots!

Sorry for getting off topic, but I've been trying forever to figure out what the hell his screen name meant... Now I get it.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I've been trying forever to figure out what the hell his screen name meant... Now I get it.

Haha it's just my name backwards

Like I said before so far I havent seen it too much but its still early and fatties stay up late.

And they always hang out in groups

TaylorMade ATV Wedge Testing
Sunday July 1st, 2012
Hastings Elks CC
Mid 90's temp, breezy, high humidity
Mid day testing

While this time of day was not ideal for being on the course, this time of year, I did find the testing part a little easier as there were fewer people on the course. I was looking for the chance to just play a full round, no scramble or competition to cause me to rethink what gun I wanted to shoot at the greens, I was able to depend on the ATV in shots I would normally use my 60* like say 65 to 80 yards out. I have a supreme amount of faith in my 60* for full 75 to 85 yard shots, or short tight flops around the green with little rough. Deeper rough traditionally get's my CG14 56* and I feel very confident with that club in my hands. Despite the heat I did have a solid day and a solid round, some of which was thanks to the ATV's capability of getting me within the range for my putter. This was my first sub 80 round in a couple months and felt very satisfying.

Once again I found the ATV very accurate from the 80 to 90 range, paired with the Penta TP5 ball. It's crazy how well these shots sit the ball down quickly, often times backing a few feet on our rock hard greens. 100 yards seems to be a bit much for me with this combination of ball and club where my CG14 was just the standard range. There are several surprises in that for me as the ATV comes in with a bit lower trajectory and more of what looks like a penetrating flight. Also, I feel very comfortable going after the ball first and taking a slightly deeper divot which usually assures my a little more distance. However, I've found myself more accurate with the distances from this club unless I'm trying to push it out the full 100 yards. One quick thing to note: my divots show the lower trajectory. They are elongated more even though I'm seeing more spin than the CG's were giving me.

Rough Play: This ATV truly has 4w drive coming through the deep grass. In the past I have always added a minimum of one club for the average rough and started out doing that with this, but average or less rough needs no extra. I know I can still hit this club from average rough to that 90 yard mark with only the elevation and wind in the recipe. Even flop shots come out much easier with the ATV than any wedge I've ever tried, although opening the face of this club can send your ball straight up and right back into it's own spot, has happened several times lately.

Floppy Shot: I've always been a sucker for this shot, what can I say other than I love seeing the ball drop like a rock and stick close. I never would have thought so, but I have to give the edge to the ATV here. I don't pull them all off, as shown here in my video, but I am confident enough to give it a go and feel I can get the job done more often than not. This one was from the deep grass, 1st shot, and I didn't open my stance enough so the ball landed right of the pin and trickled into the first cut 8 to 10 feet right. The 2nd shot here didn't have the ball quite as deep in the rough yet show's how sharply this thing cuts through the grass, literally. I take a divot and sit the ball close, but more importantly it show's how I decide on the amount to open the face using the small circles on the grip.

I'm running out of time here, but want to say that very little has changed in my thinking about this wedge from the first day. I continue to depend on the ATV for every shot around the green, including most bump and run shots, except those under 10 to 12 feet. The only shot I've really not experimented with to date is that low pitch from 30 to 40 and I hope to hit a few of those very soon, I just know it can get that done. My chipping technique is far from correct and you will notice in all my video's that I actually grip with my right, lower hand, off the grip onto the metal shaft even with this longer grip. Just a habit that needs to change, but I'm anything but normal, haha.

Practice makes perfect or at least better, this testing has helped me focus on a part of the game I was once very solid at. I hope to get back to that point through the help of TaylorMade's ATV line. The testing and practice continues...

Had a chance to out my 58* in play again today. And it performed as well
today as it did the first time I played. It will be my bunker club moving forward.

Due to the design I am able to really thump the sand to get maximum spin. I was really not looking for release but more check. I was able to throw the ball extremely close to the hole with out fear of it running by. I was 2 for 3 in sand saves.

I also had to occasions to hit two full shots, one from 75 and the other from 85. The 75 yard shot landed 4' left of the flag and spun back some 13'. Wasn't trying to spin it but based on the tight lie in the fairway and the club head spreed it was bound to happen.
The second shot, again from the fairway finished just below pin high 15' left of the hole. The ball again spun back but only about 4' and finished on the fridge. So I'm thinking maxed out I'm at 80 yards. I also like that I can get some back spin when I want it.
Out of the rough I find the ball lands fairly soft on my green side shot. The design imparts just enough spin so the ball doesn't get away from me. All in all I pleased with what I am seeing.

I messed around with and ATV in the store the other day, the thing that stood out to me the most when I picked it up was how much heavier it felt than my xFTs. I really love the look at address and the shape/grind of the head has me perplexed. I'm thinking I need to swap out the 50/54/58 or maybe all at once.

I messed around with and ATV in the store the other day, the thing that stood out to me the most when I picked it up was how much heavier it felt than my xFTs. I really love the look at address and the shape/grind of the head has me perplexed. I'm thinking I need to swap out the 50/54/58 or maybe all at once.

Seems that the weight gets noticed by more than half of the people that pick up the ATV initially. Some people feel it, others do not, but it seems that more people feel it than those that do not. I guess it just comes down to what you are used to.

Seems that the weight gets noticed by more than half of the people that pick up the ATV initially. Some people feel it, others do not, but it seems that more people feel it than those that do not. I guess it just comes down to what you are used to.

I think the ATV's are overall heavier but I can feel the head more in my 588's.

The other side of it for me is what you like. I used to not like it if I could feel the head of any of my clubs, now I almost prefer the club head to have a bit heavier feel!!!

Back