Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I went ahead and pulled the trigger thanks to everything JB and Hawk told me about, as well as the reviews from some of you in this thread.

I'll have it Friday and the first swing I put on it will be my first hole. I really hope I like it as well as you all do, and I hope the shaft fits me well enough! I ordered it in R flex, even though I've had a SS of 100+ mph. I just find I slice stiff shafted drivers more and the R flex offers me more control.

Right on, Darren! Hope it works out well for you.

Fixed the cut. Hit it straighter today and even a couple DRAW's on purpose today!

Jman, did you ever post pics of that Oban'd Classic or the Mashie?

I might have not seen them due to work blocks.

This is what I like to see out of my Classic driver on a par 5. Yes, it was downhill and a little wind was helping, but this is still huge for me.

aefea2bd-9aba-d87b.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I had a feeling you would be back to this in no time. What I saw was too good to worry about minor setbacks.

wow...lots of Classic love lately! that's awesome.
it's such a great feeling to be able to rep a class act company like Cleveland...and then when you see people not only purchasing these drivers, but then absolutely loving and bombing these drivers...you can't help but feel proud and maybe 1% responsible for their decision by the rep put in.

Ary - you're a beast!

wow...lots of Classic love lately! that's awesome.
it's such a great feeling to be able to rep a class act company like Cleveland...and then when you see people not only purchasing these drivers, but then absolutely loving and bombing these drivers...you can't help but feel proud and maybe 1% responsible for their decision by the rep put in.

Ary - you're a beast!

I'm just a 1 hole beast, not an all 18 hole beast. Normal drive for me is about 250 or so. On that hole, I had the wind helping me and there's a big downslope at about 200 yards out that I flew over. Let's just not talk about what else I did on the rest of that hole.

I had a better day with this driver today than I have in about a month, I'm starting the realize that the distance is there, I don't have to force things with my swing. I got on the wrong path by trying to kill it when hitting this driver and it threw my tempo all out of whack. Now I'm seeing some really good results with the Classic driver paired with the Srixon Z Star XV ball. I'm also noticing that even with the deep face on this driver, I don't have to tee it up very high to get a nice high ballflight.

I'm actually teeing it a lot lower right now too, Ary. Some of the things I'm working on with my instructor seem to have me hitting the ball higher on the face with it teed way up.

When I find my tempo, I'm hitting it pretty well and far for me. I think there's a good chance I can meet my goal of increasing my distance while remaining somewhat accurate before we tee it up later this month.

I've been tee'ing the ball a little lower than normal lately with great results. I smoked this thing today. I'm feeling that I am finally hitting my stride with it. I've been fooling around with positioning for a while, trying to find that perfect position for me and I believe I finally have. Tee it a little lower, move the ball a little forward and I'm seeing a consistent cut shot that I can rely and depend on. I like it.

I've been tee'ing the ball a little lower than normal lately with great results. I smoked this thing today. I'm feeling that I am finally hitting my stride with it. I've been fooling around with positioning for a while, trying to find that perfect position for me and I believe I finally have. Tee it a little lower, move the ball a little forward and I'm seeing a consistent cut shot that I can rely and depend on. I like it.

TC what are your numbers on the Calssic 10.5 stiff? What kind of distance do you feel you Avg. with the Classic?

Thanks

TC what are your numbers on the Calssic 10.5 stiff? What kind of distance do you feel you Avg. with the Classic?

Thanks

I don't have any launch monitor #'s from it to be honest. I should've done that last weekend but I just didn't think about it. I have the 10.5* 290 Series w/ a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61S shaft in it. I ordered it at 44.75'' in length so it's a little shorter and stouter than the stock Classic. If I were a betting man I would say I'm seeing a launch angle around 14/15* and spin somewhere in the mid to high 2,000's. I'd say it's a safe bet that I'm carrying it around 265-270 consistently. I've hit some bombs with it but I find it to be a very consistent driver for me. I've spent most of the past couple of months trying to find the right ball that works best with it.

GAH, I miss my Classic so much...I've had to adjust almost everything to get this loaner RAZR X Black to work...when Cleveland finally ships my replacement, I'll probably have to learn it all again...

I don't have any launch monitor #'s from it to be honest. I should've done that last weekend but I just didn't think about it. I have the 10.5* 290 Series w/ a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61S shaft in it. I ordered it at 44.75'' in length so it's a little shorter and stouter than the stock Classic. If I were a betting man I would say I'm seeing a launch angle around 14/15* and spin somewhere in the mid to high 2,000's. I'd say it's a safe bet that I'm carrying it around 265-270 consistently. I've hit some bombs with it but I find it to be a very consistent driver for me. I've spent most of the past couple of months trying to find the right ball that works best with it.

No those numbers work well in helping me figure out my path to getting a Classic in the bag. One think I noticed in the CPM’s seem very different between the C. Kua and the Kusala on the same stiffness levels. I know they have added a bunch of properties to the different shafts in the line up, but that that was interesting.

No those numbers work well in helping me figure out my path to getting a Classic in the bag. One think I noticed in the CPM’s seem very different between the C. Kua and the Kusala on the same stiffness levels. I know they have added a bunch of properties to the different shafts in the line up, but that that was interesting.

I'll be very honest, I wish I would've gone with a 9* head. As a lefty, I had to rely more on feedback here as I had no chance to demo one whatsoever. The Black Kusala and I have always gotten along rather nicely but I think I might be better off with the 9* head. Who knows though? I seem to hit it as far as I need with control so I should be happy and content.

Personally, I have always preferred the Kusala over the C. Kua. It just works much better for me.

As an aside, it would be awesome to have an LM at the Media Day. I'd like to get my Classic on a launch monitor, I feel like I launch this driver really high with range balls, but it's a little lower in actual conditions on the course.

Hi guys, new here!

Well I succumbed to the dark side too yesterday - Been using a Ping G20 since my G15 broke last year but never been able to hit is as well (I'm not great - about 24 handicap and best drives with G15 were 240-250 yards total). When I bought the G20 a few months back it ended up being between that and a Cleveland Classic 290 after hitting a bunch of clubs, I hit the Classic further on the in-store monitor but the G20 straighter so that sold it. Three months down the line and I haven't hit a really good drive with it on the course so back to the shop to take another look.

I swung a dozen or so times with the Classic 290 10.5. It felt nicer, it felt easy. On the monitor I was hitting about 200 yards which is kind of depressing but I guess it was an indoor monitor and they didn't have any "low tee" options so all my shots were near the top of the clubhead. Dispersion wasn't exactly tight (I'm quite crap remember) but it was pretty even - some left, some right, some centre with something like 50-60 yard spread, I'm guessing on that but it's how it looked. I then swung a few with my G20 - first low and left, 2nd high, left and short, 3rd straightish and still short of the Classic. Overall the Classic was launching about 17 degrees for me and the guy in the shop said the side-spin was much lower (my eyesight is terrible so I just took his word for it!).

I don't know why I'm hitting so short on the monitor aside from the tee height but to be fair I've been short on the course this year as well - the 240-250 yards of last year seem a distant memory, still - I'm 2 lessons in to fixing things and next one we're focussing on the driver.

Either way I made the trade-in, I'm a little bit annoyed at myself as the last hit on the course with the G20 was so terrible it left a nasty sky mark which cost me £20 on the trade-in (I expected this) but the guy in the shop then just whacked a cover on the Classic and gave me that at full price (£200) - I should have haggled as they had new stock and this had definitely been hit before, as well as the shots I'd had with it... D'oh! There are some marks and some are very near the paint. Sometimes I'm in the mood to haggle and sometimes I'm just not - kicked myself later though.

Sorry for the long story!

Well jim, it sounds like you went through some wild stuff to get your Classic in the bag. It sucks that the shop dinged you for your G20 yet stood firm on their Classic. I'm not good at haggling either though man, so I understand. When are you getting your Classic out for the maiden voyage?

I have been having some consistency problems with the light 43 gram stock shaft. I am about to pop in the blue 61 gram Kusala shaft. I hit the Classic with a heavier shaft down at our past THP outing demo day and my dispersion was much better. I am excited about putting a different engine under the hood!

Hopefully out tomorrow TC, though weather in the UK just plain sucks at the moment! If not I'll definitely at least get on the driving range - having a 3rd lesson on Tuesday so if I don't get any practice in it'll be a little wasted. I've been playing on and off for 6 or 7 years but never frequently enough to really improve until last year (getting older so the more "athletic" sports are taking a back seat now!) :)

I think what bugged me most about the trade-in is that I should have at least said "nah, just give me a new one please", very simple and they wouldn't have said no as I was paying full price... I've really got to get better at this! My G15 snapped halfway round the Belfry on one of the worst rounds I've ever played (clean hit though), I threw it in the bin and then later on people said that Ping would have just given me a new club as it's not like I abused it. Sigh...

Anyway, fingers crossed my first hit on the course with the Classic comes this weekend - that's always the most stressful one with a new club so as long as it's not in my usual ditch or trees 60 yards to the right of the fairway I'll be happy!

LOL @ you throwing your G15 in the trash can! Sucks to hear about your weather not cooperating but I imagine that's typical over there. I think you'll like this driver. I had the G20 prior to the Classic and I really like the Classic. The G20 was a good driver but the Classic is just different.

I have been having some consistency problems with the light 43 gram stock shaft. I am about to pop in the blue 61 gram Kusala shaft. I hit the Classic with a heavier shaft down at our past THP outing demo day and my dispersion was much better. I am excited about putting a different engine under the hood!

Will be looking forward to your thoughts on that combo, i am going with the 43s to start, and if i need to change looking at the Blue or White maybe.

Nice OG. Look forward to your feedback. I'm hopeful that the stock shaft will continue to work just fine for me, but it's always nice to have options!

Light to heavier shaft

Light to heavier shaft

Nice OG. Look forward to your feedback. I'm hopeful that the stock shaft will continue to work just fine for me, but it's always nice to have options!

I don't have a shaft puller so it will be Tuesday before I get my new shaft (Kusala) installed :at-wits-end:. Just a few more days to wait and get excited. Once installed, I will definitely leave feedback on the differences, between the stock 43 gram and the heavier 61 gram shaft. I have always preferred a little more junk in the trunk so it should be right up my ally :thumb:

Just got a 12* Classic from the Bay, Should be here around Wednesday or Thursday. The market place may have a 10.5 Classic for sale unless my buddy decides to buy it.

Back