KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

This certainly makes sense. It's the same concept of staying within oneself, I think...when I felt my tempo was smooth and relaxed I was crushing high, soft landing bombs with these shafts. I even think that they will help my driver/woods/hybrids because my mentality has to be smooth tempo otherwise bad things can happen.
I know exactly what you are saying, but will still ask this question; What do you think causes the miss when you arent working with a smoother tempo with your swing? Out of position, getting too steep or pulling up on your swing?

I know exactly what you are saying, but will still ask this question; What do you think causes the miss when you arent working with a smoother tempo with your swing? Out of position, getting too steep or pulling up on your swing?

It can be a combination of all three for me WE...I have a steep swing as it is, so when my tempo got a bit off I saw a lot of chunks. Then when I was conscious about the chunks, I'd forget about tempo and try to fix the chunking, which led to me pulling up and thinning/topping the ball. And as for being out of position, I don't have a perfect swing to begin with...I can get a bit over the top with my swing, and so not having a smooth tempo can lead to an exaggerated OTT move that can spray my shots left.

This certainly makes sense. It's the same concept of staying within oneself, I think...when I felt my tempo was smooth and relaxed I was crushing high, soft landing bombs with these shafts. I even think that they will help my driver/woods/hybrids because my mentality has to be smooth tempo otherwise bad things can happen.

This is so true! We all have to think to swing in balance and in sync. The times where we think we can get a few extra yards really means nothing. Let the shaft do the work. As you can see in the images the shaft kicks at impact to propel the ball. I find myself swing down on the all rather than trying to lift the ball to get it higher. Lifting results in nice thin shots and sometimes the dreaded drop kick.

Great start fellow testers. Can't wait to try to hit different shots like knock downs, punches and whatever the course throws at us.

Great thread! The testers are just killing it here! Lightweight shafts have been a sort of love/hate thing for me lately. At times they seem like the greatest thing ever, and other times they seem way too soft.

Question for the testers: everyone seems to be seeing higher ball flight, which is to be expected, but how does that work for you on windy days?

I ask because I have always been a high ball hitter, and it's great, except for windy days, then it can be really frustrating.

Great thread! The testers are just killing it here! Lightweight shafts have been a sort of love/hate thing for me lately. At times they seem like the greatest thing ever, and other times they seem way too soft.

Question for the testers: everyone seems to be seeing higher ball flight, which is to be expected, but how does that work for you on windy days?

I ask because I have always been a high ball hitter, and it's great, except for windy days, then it can be really frustrating.

This is the unknown factor that I'm REALLY anxious about. I haven't had them long enough to play in wind, but it can get windy from time to time, so I'll be looking at how distance and accuracy are affected with these shafts. I just don't want to hit a ballooning iron shot.

This is the unknown factor that I'm REALLY anxious about. I haven't had them long enough to play in wind, but it can get windy from time to time, so I'll be looking at how distance and accuracy are affected with these shafts. I just don't want to hit a ballooning iron shot.

Thanks, i'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you JN.

KBS Tour 90 - Wedge Range Session

Tonight I had the opportunity to go out and test the same wedge with two different shafts. My 52* Cleveland cg14 w/ KBS 90s and my buddy's CG14 with the stocker.

This was at the range off of turf mats with somewhat beat up range balls. It was a struggle with my swing tonight. I must have hit the first five straight off the toe about 45* right. As I got my tempo back I started to hit 3/4 gap wedges.

Let's start with the CG14 with the stock shaft. The club was significantly heavier than my club with the KBS 90. I was used to this because I used to have the stock shaft in my wedge. The 3/4 swings produced a mid to high ball flight depending on my swing whether I scooped it or actually hit ball first. The balls that were hit properly came out lower compared to the KBS 90. And even when the ball was struck nicely on the club face, there was a significant feedback to the left hand. The ones not crisply hit definitely increased the harshness to the left hand. Many of the shots felt normal compared to my old wedge and I just thought that was how a wedge was supposed to feel. Boy was I wrong. On to the new wedge.

So, the range session continued and it was time to see the KBS 90 perform. Of the shots that were hit ball first and then the turf. There was a noticeable ball flight height increase. My ball seemed to jump up into the air and was landing a little further than the stock shafted cg14. I did not have my laser but it just seemed to go further. It was much more effortless due to the increased feel of the club head in the swing and the shaft properly kicking while at impact. Once again tempo really made properly hit balls fly off the face. I did struggle with my swing tonight, because I was swinging too hard. We'll leave that alone for now.

Final Thoughts

It was difficult to see if I increased my spin rate without a launch monitor. I believe JB will be doing that when he gets his clubs on one. He has a similar tempo and I would be interested in seeing actual stats. The good wedge shots with the KBS shafts seemingly flew further and higher. Granted this was just an observation by my buddy cooper and myself. The harshness of the stock Cleveland shaft was noticeable and the KBS just flat out outperformed it. If you think the stocker is good enough think again. Of course, some of you may have DG spinners or other KBS shafts. I'm just loving these shafts right now, but let's get past the honeymoon period and let's get even more detailed in our reviews.

To be continued....

KBS Tour 90 Shaft - Benefits of a Light Weight shaft

I am two weeks into testing the KBS Tour 90 Shafts in my irons, and wanted to write up a bit of a recap of my thoughts so far and what I have been seeing throughout my rounds and my range sessions. I am doing my best to describe what I see, but also trying to digest my thoughts and questions that I have on the course with logic and reasons why I am seeing what I am.

Through my rounds since putting the KBS Tour 90 shafts in to my irons, I find that I have been able to hold more greens when I hit them, compared to landing the green and my ball running well past and off the green.
  • In looking at my shots, specifically my shots to the green, the ball flight is noticeably higher than what I have had in the past. This is giving me an increased descent angle into the green, allowing the ball to have a bit more spin, and stop quicker on the green, holding its spot.
  • Many of my shots have the desired “hop and stop” and depending on what iron I was hitting, I am seeing that I am able to generate spin to have the ball back up a bit. The best instance I have had of this so far was my 6iron on a longer Par 3 last week; It had a nice trajectory on it, and actually backed up about a foot once it hit the green. This shot for me in the past is usually a low liner, that literally skips on the green and flies off the back.

I have noticed that my misses are “smaller.” My misses as of late have been “just left/right”, rather than having the huge push right or pull left and being completely out of position. Having the miss be smaller, rather than being out of the hole and struggling to scramble and make a bogey, I am staying in the hole with a chance to get up and down and block out the big number that could be looming.
  • I feel the lighter shafts allow my swing to stay in a smooth rhythm. I dont find myself noticing the twitch I have struggled with in the past at the top of my swing as I try to find that comfortable spot to begin my downswing. With staying in a good tempo in my swing, I feel that I make a clean move during the transition of my backswing to the downswing, which leads me to make a more consistent strike on the ball.
  • The lower weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts allow me to have a better control of the club during my swing. I like to think that my swing staying smooth allows me to stay in control of the club during my swing. Staying in control of my swing and keeping myself in a good tempo allows me to have the club in the right position at the moment of impact, reducing the percentage of a miss (high on the face, out on the toe, etc)

When I talked to the guys at KBS Shafts about the testing, one of the things that had me thinking was when they mentioned that you could see a distance increase by going to a lighter shaft. Sounded good to me...right? But what I have wondered is, why? Why would someone see a distance gain by switching to a lighter weight shaft?
  • What I am seeing over the past few weeks isnt really a distance gain. But, what I am seeing is that I am able to hit to my distance with a much smoother and controlled swing. Instead of having to “step on it” to hit the number I want, I find that I am able to hit to my number with a nice, controlled swing. I dont feel that I have to swing out of my shoes to get the ball to the ball to the yardage I am used to. A nice, smooth swing allows the technology to get to work, and give me the desired results.
  • That controlled swing allows me to stay within myself, and not having to really hammer down on my swing for a yardage is leading me to see better accuracy on my shots.

Through the first few weeks, I feel that I have adjusted well to the KBS Tour 90 shafts. One of the most intriguing aspects of getting to test these shafts was the possibility of seeing a higher trajectory on my shots. So far, I have seen an increased height on my shots, and for someone that has struggled greatly with that in the past, it has been something that I have been quite happy to see. Over the past few weeks, I really feel that the lower weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts have benefited me in quite a few ways, from staying in a controlled tempo in my swing, a higher ball flight, and a better trajectory on shots allowing me to hold the greens.

KBS Tour 90 Shaft - Benefits of a Light Weight shaft

I am two weeks into testing the KBS Tour 90 Shafts in my irons, and wanted to write up a bit of a recap of my thoughts so far and what I have been seeing throughout my rounds and my range sessions. I am doing my best to describe what I see, but also trying to digest my thoughts and questions that I have on the course with logic and reasons why I am seeing what I am.

Through my rounds since putting the KBS Tour 90 shafts in to my irons, I find that I have been able to hold more greens when I hit them, compared to landing the green and my ball running well past and off the green.
  • In looking at my shots, specifically my shots to the green, the ball flight is noticeably higher than what I have had in the past. This is giving me an increased descent angle into the green, allowing the ball to have a bit more spin, and stop quicker on the green, holding its spot.
  • Many of my shots have the desired “hop and stop” and depending on what iron I was hitting, I am seeing that I am able to generate spin to have the ball back up a bit. The best instance I have had of this so far was my 6iron on a longer Par 3 last week; It had a nice trajectory on it, and actually backed up about a foot once it hit the green. This shot for me in the past is usually a low liner, that literally skips on the green and flies off the back.

I have noticed that my misses are “smaller.” My misses as of late have been “just left/right”, rather than having the huge push right or pull left and being completely out of position. Having the miss be smaller, rather than being out of the hole and struggling to scramble and make a bogey, I am staying in the hole with a chance to get up and down and block out the big number that could be looming.
  • I feel the lighter shafts allow my swing to stay in a smooth rhythm. I dont find myself noticing the twitch I have struggled with in the past at the top of my swing as I try to find that comfortable spot to begin my downswing. With staying in a good tempo in my swing, I feel that I make a clean move during the transition of my backswing to the downswing, which leads me to make a more consistent strike on the ball.
  • The lower weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts allow me to have a better control of the club during my swing. I like to think that my swing staying smooth allows me to stay in control of the club during my swing. Staying in control of my swing and keeping myself in a good tempo allows me to have the club in the right position at the moment of impact, reducing the percentage of a miss (high on the face, out on the toe, etc)

When I talked to the guys at KBS Shafts about the testing, one of the things that had me thinking was when they mentioned that you could see a distance increase by going to a lighter shaft. Sounded good to me...right? But what I have wondered is, why? Why would someone see a distance gain by switching to a lighter weight shaft?
  • What I am seeing over the past few weeks isnt really a distance gain. But, what I am seeing is that I am able to hit to my distance with a much smoother and controlled swing. Instead of having to “step on it” to hit the number I want, I find that I am able to hit to my number with a nice, controlled swing. I dont feel that I have to swing out of my shoes to get the ball to the ball to the yardage I am used to. A nice, smooth swing allows the technology to get to work, and give me the desired results.
  • That controlled swing allows me to stay within myself, and not having to really hammer down on my swing for a yardage is leading me to see better accuracy on my shots.
Through the first few weeks, I feel that I have adjusted well to the KBS Tour 90 shafts. One of the most intriguing aspects of getting to test these shafts was the possibility of seeing a higher trajectory on my shots. So far, I have seen an increased height on my shots, and for someone that has struggled greatly with that in the past, it has been something that I have been quite happy to see. Over the past few weeks, I really feel that the lower weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts have benefited me in quite a few ways, from staying in a controlled tempo in my swing, a higher ball flight, and a better trajectory on shots allowing me to hold the greens.

Solid write-up WE! I think shafts are one of the toughest items to test but I think you have explained what you are seeing very well.

Good stuff WE. We are seeing similar things and you explained that very well.

War would you say you are discovering the true distance of your swing? I've always thought a smooth controlled swing maxs our distance more then a hard forced swing.

Great stuff guys! The higher ball flight seems to be working for both of you.

Solid write-up WE! I think shafts are one of the toughest items to test but I think you have explained what you are seeing very well.
Thanks. Testing the iron shafts has been fun so far. Taking what I am seeing in regards to performance, then working backwards to analyze what it is happening has been an interesting way to look at my game.

War would you say you are discovering the true distance of your swing? I've always thought a smooth controlled swing maxs our distance more then a hard forced swing.
Yes, I do believe I am. Take my 8iron for example, it's usually my 150ish club. I am hitting that distance with what I can only describe as an easier swing than before, compared to in the past where it was a full, solid strike to get it to that distance.

Nice write up War Eagle. These shafts have really changed your iron play and approach to these shots. Much better having that smooth swing to rely on rather than forcing it which can usually create worse misses. Really like what these are doing for your dispersion also, makes up/downs so much easier when you are just off instead of 15 yards off.

Great thoughts WE! You put into words about how the misses are smaller. I think we definitely see the benefit of a controllable and more round sustainable swing speed. Fatigue and other factors are now limited due to the easier swing. I believe all the testers are benefitting from the ease of getting the ball up in he air.

Nice write up War Eagle. These shafts have really changed your iron play and approach to these shots. Much better having that smooth swing to rely on rather than forcing it which can usually create worse misses. Really like what these are doing for your dispersion also, makes up/downs so much easier when you are just off instead of 15 yards off.
Exactly! That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Great thoughts WE! You put into words about how the misses are smaller. I think we definitely see the benefit of a controllable and more round sustainable swing speed. Fatigue and other factors are now limited due to the easier swing. I believe all the testers are benefitting from the ease of getting the ball up in he air.

I still am curious as to how these will perform in some gusty or strong winds that we can get out here. That high ball flight can kill you in the wind so other would be nice to see if the 90s can bore through it on full swings.

Tapping from my S3

I still am curious as to how these will perform in some gusty or strong winds that we can get out here. That high ball flight can kill you in the wind so other would be nice to see if the 90s can bore through it on full swings.

Tapping from my S3

JN in my first range session, I hit into a 10 mph headwind. The ball did not balloon. The ball got up quick but distance loss seemed normal even with the higher ball flight.

JN in my first range session, I hit into a 10 mph headwind. The ball did not balloon. The ball got up quick but distance loss seemed normal even with the higher ball flight.

Good to hear...it will be interesting to hit a course near the shore sometime as those can get winds from 10-25 mph on a good day.

I got a chance to speak with KBS about the Tour 90 shafts, and it will be up this week.

I got a chance to speak with KBS about the Tour 90 shafts, and it will be up this week.
Oh boy cant wait! This is by far my favorite iron shaft I have hit to date. Love them in my irons.

Very nice, JB! Cant wait to hear it.

I don't know if this has been posted by the reviewers yet, but have you guys noticed a "gap" in yardage wise with your irons since switching shafts?

I don't know if this has been posted by the reviewers yet, but have you guys noticed a "gap" in yardage wise with your irons since switching shafts?

No, I have not noticed a gapping in yardage since changing shafts. What I have noticed is that I am able to hit to the distances I am used to with a bit of an easier swing.

Back