Callaway UPRO MX+ GPS Review

This thing sounds more and more awesome the more I read about it. I have been using SkyGolf on my phone for a while now and it is decent but its just pretty plain and simple. Plus it drains almost the whole battery in 18 holes (walking). I love that this thing can keep track of so much more. After reading through the Morgan Cup rules and seeing that distance measuring devices are allowed, but not cell phones, I may have to give in and snatch one of these up. I think it would really help my confidence on the course because when I am without my GPS I sometimes doubt myself. I am just trying to decide whether to go with another GPS or to make the jump to a rangefinder.

Ok, so I connected my upro to charge it and it showed 37% left. Strange since it wouldnt turn back on towards the end of last round. I charged it, and when I tried to shut it down it just said that it was shutting down, but it kinda got stuck there. I had to remove the battery and try again. It's charged and I will be using it tomorrow for a round. Has anyone else had something like that happen to them?

Ok, so I connected my upro to charge it and it showed 37% left. Strange since it wouldnt turn back on towards the end of last round. I charged it, and when I tried to shut it down it just said that it was shutting down, but it kinda got stuck there. I had to remove the battery and try again. It's charged and I will be using it tomorrow for a round. Has anyone else had something like that happen to them?
That's odd? Did it just turn off during the round? Do you remember what the battery percentage was when you last checked it before it died?

That's odd? Did it just turn off during the round? Do you remember what the battery percentage was when you last checked it before it died?

Yes. Normally I put it to sleep when I'm done putting in my score or looking at the distance. It just never woke up. I don't recall the battery percentage before it went off, but when i was going to charge it, it was at 37% which is about right for the usage it got. The last full round I played got it down to high 20s.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have had some strange things happen to my upro mx a few times. It has gone into sleep mode and I too had to remove the battery to get it going again. I have had this happen on more than one occasion. The scorecard has restarted after the front 9 a few times. I did not use the scorecard the last round, but will be this week. Will check and see if any problems repeat themselves or if something new pops up. Battery life has never been an issue though.That is one problem I have never seen. Thought it showed up once, but that turned out to be the sleep mode issue.

Ok, so took it out for a spin. The touchscreen became unresponsive on hole 12. I could get rhe distances and alternate between views, but could not get the scorecard to come up so I started taking score manually. After the round, I turned it back on and it was working fine, so I inputted the rest of my strokes. I'm not sure if I should call Callaway or try it another round.

Ok, so took it out for a spin. The touchscreen became unresponsive on hole 12. I could get rhe distances and alternate between views, but could not get the scorecard to come up so I started taking score manually. After the round, I turned it back on and it was working fine, so I inputted the rest of my strokes. I'm not sure if I should call Callaway or try it another round.
I would talk to wherever you bought it from and let them know the issues first, perhaps they will swap it out for you and send that one back to Callaway.

What is the screen protection like, does it scratch easily? Also are these things water resistant? Thanks

They are NOT water-resistant. I highly recommend a skin if water is a problem. Scratching is not a problem if you take care.

Went to the Callaway website to explore. Apparently it offers pro mode for several 9-hole goat ranches my area, but not for two nice courses where I play most often. Oh well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bought the MX+, new, free shipping, on ebay for $167.01. Looking forward to seeing if the new software has improved it. I had the original and took advantage of the Callaway offer to get a refund. Looks like they dumped the shot tracking / mark ball feature but the buzz is they will be adding it back in soon (hope so). Should have it next week and will let you know how the new compares to last year's software (I understand the hardware did not change).

Tried it today for a round and it worked fine. Maybe it was a glitch last time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just 15 minutes ago I ordered one of the uPro MX+ from eBay for $169.99 plus free shipping.
Thanks for the review JB.
I can't wait to get this thing !

Just 15 minutes ago I ordered one of the uPro MX+ from eBay for $169.99 plus free shipping.
I have one coming from eBay as well. I hope they get the shot tracking / mark ball feature back on soon.

That's a solid price...I think you will enjoy it!

Thats an awesome price for this device, may have to give the ebay a look here in a bit.

Is anyone that upgraded to the new software on the older (non +) device having issues? I am thinking of ordering the older one off of ebay, with the new software it should be the same device correct?

Is anyone that upgraded to the new software on the older (non +) device having issues? I am thinking of ordering the older one off of ebay, with the new software it should be the same device correct?
i still wont upgrade till they fix the mark/measure part of it

Hey bro....I upgraded quite awhile back and have had no issues at all with the older device and the new software.

And yes its the same as buying the new device once you upgrade the software.

i still wont upgrade till they fix the mark/measure part of it

They keep advising "it is in the plans" but no date. I gave up on my second MX (+) last week at a loss. Worked better than the first but still froze up sometimes and touch screen is not easy to navigate. Nice and small form factor, but Pro Mode screen too small for my eyes. It felt like I was paying more attention to the device than golf. Purchased a Garmin S1 watch instead. Only gives front, middle and back but is very easy to use, easy to see and has shot measuring. I use it in conjunction with my laser.

I am upgrading mine now, no issues so far. I had some issues with syncing when I first got the device but haven't had any issues since.

I ended up ordering a new one off the bay. I was only going to save $30 by grabbing the original and upgrading it, so I figured I might as well get the brand new one for that price.

I like it so far, I wish the scorekeeping/moving to the next hole was a little bit easier. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I ended up ordering a new one off the bay. I was only going to save $30 by grabbing the original and upgrading it, so I figured I might as well get the brand new one for that price.

I like it so far, I wish the scorekeeping/moving to the next hole was a little bit easier. Maybe I'll get used to it.
I saw you playing with it today. I should have checked it out, it's an awesome little device that always has spot on distances.

Crazy that this thread popped back up today...I get home this evening and I have a pop up saying there is new sync software for the the UproMX so I download it and then it tells me there is an update for the Upro itself with new scorecard enhancements and a new MARK feature to track shot distances and it says it's not a full feature shot tracker but the first step towards it.

COOL...I downloaded it and will try it out in Iowa this weekend!

I saw you playing with it today. I should have checked it out, it's an awesome little device that always has spot on distances.
thats what she said!
if this wasnt a golf forum... this whole sentence would be totally suspect hahhaha sorry bro i couldnt help it

Still really interested in this. Would love to have something with no fees

Back