Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Hawk....you rock bro. Great prep work as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man. I was a little low of confidence and it was just what I needed.

Hawk you do rock and you should not be low in confidence. You are about to hit some great golf shots in some tough conditions. You are a beast! Trust that swing bro!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, Chunky. It's really all the hips for me. If I'm making them work I'm hitting the ball well.

Same here hawk. I have almost completely eliminated the push I was getting from sliding. I am hitting the ball much better but my problem now sometimes is that I quit rotating and just flip my hands at it, so I just need to make sure I turn all the way through. Overall the few lessons I have had have taught me a lot and it has helped me avoid a lot of stress from trying to fix it myself.

Same here hawk. I have almost completely eliminated the push I was getting from sliding. I am hitting the ball much better but my problem now sometimes is that I quit rotating and just flip my hands at it, so I just need to make sure I turn all the way through. Overall the few lessons I have had have taught me a lot and it has helped me avoid a lot of stress from trying to fix it myself.

It's probably been the biggest challenge I've had through all the time I've been swing changing. I taught myself to be an arm swinger and it's a freaking hard habit to break. The big key for me is really getting a few core swings in before I address the ball to feel my hips working.

It's the hardest to master with the driver.

Great prep today Hawk. I had a small set back in my prep today. I've been fighting a bone bruise on my right shin (which is my front side when swinging) and its been really painful at times, and other times its fine. The only way to make it go away completely is to rest for a month or so but thats not likely so I've just been trying to deal with it.

Well today I went to the range to work on my game and on my fifth swing I literally fell down in agony when I got to my front side. I couldn't put weight on it for about an hour or so and I'm still walking with a limp now. The rest of my day has been researching what I can do to try and speed the healing of a bone bruise but as I suspected there is really not much I can do.

I will be resting it for the next week or so by not taking full swings at all, and just working on my short game for the next while and I'm going to stop going to the gym and running. I've also added large doses of vitamin's A,C,K and bromelain to try and speed the recovery up as much possible.

CB loading up on those vitamins is a GREAT idea. I have been upping my vitamins and proteins as well by adding a multivitamin and some protein shakes to my diet over the last week. I already feel great, I think that's a great suggestion for everyone.

CB loading up on those vitamins is a GREAT idea. I have been upping my vitamins and proteins as well by adding a multivitamin and some protein shakes to my diet over the last week. I already feel great, I think that's a great suggestion for everyone.
Yep, I've added a second multi per day along with these new vitamins, I've also cut dairy out of my diet completely and I'm not going to lie to you, I feel great....other than my leg.

Sorry to hear that CB. Silver lining is that I think the short game work could really pay off in just 10 days. Hope that shin continues to heal man, sounds painful.

Breeze, I don't like that at all!

Sorry to hear that CB. Silver lining is that I think the short game work could really pay off in just 10 days. Hope that shin continues to heal man, sounds painful.

Breeze, I don't like that at all!
Thanks guys, I'll be ok and it should affect me at all. I've just been ignoring it for about 3 months now and its time to deal with it before we go to SC. I can play fine with it, but when it starts to get really painful I find I naturally hang back on my left foot because I know it will hurt if I transfer my weight. I think a week of rest and ice and vitamins and I will be good to go.

I said I was not going to swing a golf club until my arrival in Myrtle Beach and I lied. Despite my back not getting much better, it is important to me to play a round tomorrow. As many of you know, GG and I are moving directly from the Morgan Cup. When we leave next week, we are not returning to our home, but to a new place shortly thereafter. There are some local friends that I will miss and it would not be right to not tee it up with them before we leave, so I am going to give it my all tomorrow and try to get in a few holes.

Best case scenario, I can finish the round. Worst case, I play a few and ride around with them. The best prep ever is being around other THPers, regardless of golf, in a celebration of what this community is about. The family here (THPers) are a rock and foundation to many of us. You are the reason we do the things we do and are the reason that we continue to work hard. Part of that hard work is unfortunately saying goodbye. Not permanently mind you, because I will continue to see these fine gentleman at THP events and hopefully more, but it will be nice to be out and playing with friends.

The hard work is done. The event is here. The time is coming. Its time to get ready to showcase how great THP is to the world. Its time for me to push through this, the best I know how and that is the way I have always looked at sports and life for that matter. You guys are my rock. You guys are my foundation.

Turns out, we will not be able to get together after all, and truth be told, that is probably a good thing because right now I am not in a position where I should be out there playing. A little more rest, and I will be ready to go.
That's too bad, but like you said, probably for the best for next week.

My hometown prep is done too. I'm just going to go play as much as I can before I leave next Thursday morning. I do have a lesson I want to take at Edwin Watts before I go to Myrtle Beach. Hopefully I'll get up there this week.

The remaining prep will be done after I arrive. I want to hit sand shots and practice putting on those greens. Different sand and grass than what I am used to.

Went to the range today after working 12 hours. Tried to focus on hitting the J40 irons. But the ground is so freaking hard at the range since the guy who owns it doesn't water it. Like a course would do. He cut down his corn a few years ago nd made it. It has newer balls that's why I go there. Well, the clubs just bounce off the ground. So, I hit a few driver balls then took out my wedges and chipped the balls. Lol at least I didn't waste the balls.

Leg or no leg CB, you are still handsome

Leg or no leg CB, you are still handsome

You sir are getting a bro hug! I just finished icing it for a half hour and it feels better already. I've taken my vitamins and I'm gonna heal up quickly.

Great prep today Hawk. I had a small set back in my prep today. I've been fighting a bone bruise on my right shin (which is my front side when swinging) and its been really painful at times, and other times its fine. The only way to make it go away completely is to rest for a month or so but thats not likely so I've just been trying to deal with it.

Well today I went to the range to work on my game and on my fifth swing I literally fell down in agony when I got to my front side. I couldn't put weight on it for about an hour or so and I'm still walking with a limp now. The rest of my day has been researching what I can do to try and speed the healing of a bone bruise but as I suspected there is really not much I can do.

I will be resting it for the next week or so by not taking full swings at all, and just working on my short game for the next while and I'm going to stop going to the gym and running. I've also added large doses of vitamin's A,C,K and bromelain to try and speed the recovery up as much possible.

Crap breezy. Between your leg, TC's thigh, JB's back, Hank's back and my elbow. We're going to give these jokers some semblance of hope in this event! Are Yoccos, Hawk and Jake hurt too?

Bradd, I'm fighting the same problem right now. I had 4 horrible tee shots today that all came from just flipping my hands at the bottom instead of trusting my swing and turning through the ball. Whenever that happens, it's fore left for me, it's pretty frustrating.

My long game is frustrating me at the moment, but I don't think there's much improvement that can be made there between now and next week. I'm going to take some time tomorrow to go to the range, but mainly to do some chipping and putting. I actually like where my short game is at right now, so I want it to stay sharp headed into next week.

Thank you all for your well wishes. Last week was a very scary week for me and thanks to a loving and caring wife and family, I have pulled through it. Fear is not something I deal with well, but the unknown is always fearful and that is what I have been going through. I did give the Acupuncture a try as well as a few other things, but none of them have done a ton of good in my opinion. The best part of making it through this has been rest.

I applaud and cheer on the prep work that I have been watching and reading about. You guys are picking up the slack for me, that is for sure and I love hearing about everybody coming into their strides as we head to Myrtle Beach. Its sad to think that I have played 3 rounds of golf since the outing and 2 of those being at the Texas Tour Van Event. Its sad to think that I have not been able to enjoy the build up of pressure and practicing that goes with the Morgan Cup "final stretch". But if that is what gets me to enjoy it in 2 weeks, I am all for it.

Thank you again to everybody for the kind words. It has meant a lot and rain or shine, I will be in Myrtle Beach, ready to play and help my team to victory.

No joke, you are an inspiration to us all bro. I hope you arrive at TMC feeling and playing well.

JB - i applaud your courage, determination and dedication most of all. you sir, will definitely set the bar for no excuses, no turning back, no nothing! kudos brother.

now onto prep - i played a 4man scramble yesterday and definitely got put in some "pressure" situations, requiring a precision shot as the last man or we were looking at possible bogeys. i excelled in all situations and some were nerve racking for sure. but what you also learn about playing in a 4man, is how difficult a 2man scramble can be. granted, with 2man you tend to play a little more carefully, but it's definitely important to stay on your game and hit good shots all day. and here's hoping your partner can bail you out when you need him to!

Due that's great prep, and it's good to hear you responded well to the pressure. As for the bolded, I got your back bro!

I've been thinking a lot this morning about how I'm going to play today and I'm going to aggressive. I will be hitting more drivers off the tee than I normally would and I'm playing for birdies.

I like the thinking and can't wait to hear about the results.

I'm tired of course management leaving me with these easy pars and safe bogeys. I want good chances at birdies and tap in pars. I've been working hard on my wedge game lately and I've never been more confident in them so there are a few holes where I normally hit a hybrid off the tee so that I have a PW or a 9 iron into the green, but today I will be hitting driver and hopefully leaving myself with with a pitch or a chip onto the green.

Im not going to play stupid golf, just play more aggressive and go after the scores I want to shoot.

Dude, I like it. I think you are on your way to lowering your scores dramatically.

As a part of my prep I've been rotating around a lot courses that either played a few times or never played at all. Last week I played a course I'd never seen and today I played another course I've never seen. Played ok last week and since then I've not had much of a chance to swing a club, well other than 5 easy 7 irons Friday before sheer pain shut me down. Today I played with biggsy at a great course up in Estero that is visually open but has tiny fairways, kind of intimidating to look at especially with how much they turned and narrowed around the landing areas. Lots of hidden trouble off the tee added to the pucker factor of hitting driver. Used 3 wood a few more times off the tee as a result.

Today I wanted to see where I was with my game, what is working and what needs a little spit shine before showtime. Went out in 45 after driving an hour and a half a going to the tee cold as a cucumber. Came home in 39 with a double that broke my streak of pars. Not to shabby considering I had no clue this course existed before this week. First time I've ever broken 40 for 9 holes and tied my PB. Things are getting closer to being where I want.

I have a lesson on Friday and I want to focus on 3 wood off the tee and mid iron shots that I have an occasional smothered hook with. 2 doubles today, both coming from a ugly iron approach shot.

Solid round SW. Sorry about the pain issues, but going low an unknown course is great prep.

Nice work SW!!! That's freaking awesome.

I shot an 88 today. 46/42. But it was awesome. I had a few bad drives but really took to just taking driver as most par 4's were 410 plus. I have some cool photos of the holes to post. Even the 245 yard par 3.

I'm prepping by playing the hardest courses I can when I can. Then staying disciplined throughout the round.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with the 88, especially with that 42 on the back bro.

Played in a members tourney today. It was 4 man scramble format. They had me as the B player with no A player on the team. We had to use everyone's drive at least once. Well we used 2 of the other players tee shots plus 2 of the 3rd guys tee. The other 14 were all me! I was on the money today. We had low score and won with a 60. I got us close a bunch and sunk most the putts. I can't believe the string of rounds I've put together lately.

Hey buddy, this is awesome prep, and it sounds like you are playing really well. You definitely seem to be peaking at the right time.

lol, I'm sure he will update us on it later.

Hey buddy, I'm here now. Well my plan paid off ******, even though the round was crazy rainy and cloudy to the point I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me. I hit driver today on every hole that I could and to be honest, had I been able to see where the pins were on the greens I would have shot a really low round I think. I had a ton of wedges into the greens today, but since I couldn't see the flags I just aimed at the middle of the greens and hoped for the best.

Only on one hole did my driver get me into trouble where I wouldn't normally hit it and I was just in the rough in a tight spot but I still think that was the better play, because even with a punch out towards the green I was still close to the green in two and had a chance for a simple up and down for par.

i think my prep going forward for the MC and my game in general is to take smart chances and go for birdies instead of playing safe all the time and playing for a par. I don't want to hit a 6 iron into a green because I hit a hybrid off the tee. I want to hit a PW into the green, or a wedge and give myself a real shot at shooting low and today proved to me that it can work.

It sounds like you are coming to a point where you are going to be taking chances at the right times and that will be a great thing for your game IMO.

Very nice dude! I love those types of rounds that the confidence in the driver is sky high. Just makes the game that much more fun. I like the wedge over 6I strategy especially at those 2 courses with all the bunkers in play. Those bunkers are beastly!

Well this is it. 1 more week to cram. I was an expert at that in school. I planned on spending this week doing nothing but short game but the driver has decided that it wants some attention. I will be killing this thing by the time next Saturday comes!

You will be crushing the driver again in no time bro.

Played my first round in about a week and a half, wasn't sure what to expect. My last 2 rounds had been great. Today was pretty good, I was catching some irons heavy but overall it was pretty good. Definitely on track for where I want to be next week. Definitely will be spending as much time as I can on the course this week and taking the beginning of next week a little easy so I can conserve my energy for the weekend.

nice Bradd.
i'm with you...i want to conserve energy for next week, but i also feel like i'm not playing enough...and definitely haven't practiced enough.
it's funny to look back at December and see that i said i was going to work out every week and hit the range and putting greens and do this and do that...and i haven't really done anything but play golf really. lol. but, that's me...that's how i do. everyone has their methods i guess. but now here we are a week away and you can't help to wonder if you've done enough, for just your golf game alone?
i think i can say that i have....in the back of my mind, i knew i probably wasn't going to do all those things. i've played a lot of golf and found that i have improved over the spring/summer, and have been hitting good shots and scoring well. my game needs to travel well to MB and i think it will. i'm pretty excited just posting this, thinking that this whole thing is about to come to fruition and real soon. can not wait!
man, all i want to do now is golf golf and golf some more...

You guys are both going to be 100% ready. I have no doubts.

I said I was not going to swing a golf club until my arrival in Myrtle Beach and I lied. Despite my back not getting much better, it is important to me to play a round tomorrow. As many of you know, GG and I are moving directly from the Morgan Cup. When we leave next week, we are not returning to our home, but to a new place shortly thereafter. There are some local friends that I will miss and it would not be right to not tee it up with them before we leave, so I am going to give it my all tomorrow and try to get in a few holes.

Best case scenario, I can finish the round. Worst case, I play a few and ride around with them. The best prep ever is being around other THPers, regardless of golf, in a celebration of what this community is about. The family here (THPers) are a rock and foundation to many of us. You are the reason we do the things we do and are the reason that we continue to work hard. Part of that hard work is unfortunately saying goodbye. Not permanently mind you, because I will continue to see these fine gentleman at THP events and hopefully more, but it will be nice to be out and playing with friends.

The hard work is done. The event is here. The time is coming. Its time to get ready to showcase how great THP is to the world. Its time for me to push through this, the best I know how and that is the way I have always looked at sports and life for that matter. You guys are my rock. You guys are my foundation.

I understand your reasoning completely, just be careful bro, you know they will understand

Final lesson before the Cup tonight for me...just going to work with the wedges tonight. Chipping and pitching is going to be the name of the game and will continue to just get more consistent and further dialed in from within 100yds. I think I've got a real good set up now that really eliminates the dreaded thinned shot which is my nemesis and I'm just going to continue to work on that. I've really been working on just setting up to the ball and taking the shot rather than setting up and lingering for a bit. That's where things start to creep into my head and my mistakes start to compound.

Nice prep Hanks. Glad to hear you have your game in good shape heading into TMC.

JB take it handy out there dude, your team is depending on you to be in top form next week.

My ankle is about 80% better so i'm choosing to play the charity event I had committed to tomorrow. My father is giving me some grief but I should be ok. Going for physio on it either Thuraday or Monday

Be careful bro. Do not re-injure it.

Turns out, we will not be able to get together after all, and truth be told, that is probably a good thing because right now I am not in a position where I should be out there playing. A little more rest, and I will be ready to go.

Sorry to hear this bro, but it is probably for the best.

JB and the FL contingent, sorry it didn't work out. I was going to go to the course tonight, but I'm exhausted. Haven't slept more than 3 hours a night in about a month. This past week I actually didn't get any sleep twice. So tonight is some forum time and some rest. Forum time is just as important. My game is what it is.

Everything ok buddy?

You sir are getting a bro hug! I just finished icing it for a half hour and it feels better already. I've taken my vitamins and I'm gonna heal up quickly.

Glad to hear it is already starting to feel better.

Glad to hear it is already starting to feel better.
Thank Yorkem, you're a man on a mission tonight! I just need to be smart for the rest of the week leading up to the MC and not do anything stupid.

Thank Yorkem, you're a man on a mission tonight! I just need to be smart for the rest of the week leading up to the MC and not do anything stupid.

Ha...3 days with no THP, I was going through withdrawal. Got blown out early at the casino tonight too, so I am awake and sober.

Ha...3 days with no THP, I was going through withdrawal. Got blown out early at the casino tonight too, so I am awake and sober.
Thats good prep right there. I love to gamble and drink and golf. Those may be three of my favorite things.

Thats good prep right there. I love to gamble and drink and golf. Those may be three of my favorite things.

I should be golfing tomorrow or the next day. Really tough down here with the constant trade winds blowing.

Back