Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I think "HE" would would be good either way; just a question of A. how much spin does HE want, and B, the weight of the whole club.

Myself personally Since I've been playing both the X100s and a DG spinner, I'd go X100 U, DG Spinner Wedge+ in S and L.

Interesting...that's exactly an option "he" was just considering while sitting in the airport...

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Let's say a guy I know swings i20s, 3-PW, but is ready for some new wedges. He's considering filling out the set with U, S and L i20s.

First, is that dumb compared to looking at other wedges? Second, if he does do this, would you recommend sticking with the DG X100 shafts that he plays in the rest of his irons, or should he go crazy and get DG Spinners? He's never had the opportunity to hit the Spinners....

I'm mobile right now so I can't get to it but if you search I did a final analysis and thoughts on the set wedges in here. It's all about what you require out of your wedges, it's worth a read IMO.

As to shafts, that all comes down to that over played "feel" term as far as personal preference goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm mobile right now so I can't get to it but if you search I did a final analysis and thoughts on the set wedges in here. It's all about what you require out of your wedges, it's worth a read IMO.

As to shafts, that all comes down to that over played "feel" term as far as personal preference goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jman, I'll see if I can find it. Appreciate your help.

Well folks I ordered my i20 4i today. Should be here in about a week. Looking forward to its arrival and joing the bag. Thanks for advise and encouragement.

Interesting...that's exactly an option "he" was just considering while sitting in the airport...

I think there are other wedges out there with more to offer, but it comes down to what type of wedge player you (or "he") is and what you/he wants. Jman's post outlined this beautifully.

Well folks I ordered my i20 4i today. Should be here in about a week. Looking forward to its arrival and joing the bag. Thanks for advise and encouragement.

Congrats! Eager to hear how it works out...just remember, long, wide, and smooth swing.

Just built a set with DG tour issue S400's

Can't wait to try them this weekend.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who offered input on the thread. I've been loving my i20's, since changing from i2's. 3-PW, black dot, CFS S. Lots of forgiveness, lots of confidence, lots of GIR's, lots of fun.

Shot the best round of my life the other day, an 81, with 9 straight pars on the back! 45-36. I continued this streak to 13 straight during the first 4 holes of the next round. Best golf of my life. Just wish that I didnt trip all over myself on the front NINE, no more heavy drinkn the night before!
:banghead:

Thanks again fellllas, hit em well.

Wow, well done Doug! Nice when you feel confident addressing a ball, knowing the flight is going to be what you imagine. Removing doubt allows the best mind-body connection. No more thinking, just feel it. That's as close to bliss as you can get on a golf course. I suppose sinking the birdie putt is pretty satisfying too.

Let's say a guy I know swings i20s, 3-PW, but is ready for some new wedges. He's considering filling out the set with U, S and L i20s.

First, is that dumb compared to looking at other wedges? Second, if he does do this, would you recommend sticking with the DG X100 shafts that he plays in the rest of his irons, or should he go crazy and get DG Spinners? He's never had the opportunity to hit the Spinners....

I asked the same question before I ordered the set. Ended up with the W from the set and Tour S 52 and 56. I was nervous about ordering the set wedges because I couldn't hit them prior to ordering. I did get to hit seven or eight different manufacturers wedges, including Ping's Tour S. I'm still curious what the G and the S are like from the set but I can tell you that I love the W. It's becoming my go-to club around the greens. If the others are as good, I wouldn't hesitate.

That said, there's also something to be said for the profile of the purpose-built wedges available from a host of manufacturers. Ping, Mizuno, Callaway, Cleveland (several designs), Scors, etc. all have great products. I loved the feel of the Tour because of its weight, heavier than most and inspired confidence. The Tours on full swings are like throwing darts. I would highly recommend trying out a handful to see what feels right. It might give you more confidence in going for the set wedges or sway you otherwise. Good luck!!!

Well after quite the wait, I got my i20s in and was actually able to play with them this time. However, there was another error and the clubs I have now will not be staying with me. PING put the wrong shafts in AGAIN! So they are fixing the order AGAIN, but I was told to just play these in the meantime. For a little recap, I ordered my irons on April 20th and it took until June 11th to get the correct set the first time. Which that set was promptly stolen before I could even swing them once. Then it has been another month to get these and they were wrong again. I am bummed that it has taken so long and that there have been so many errors, but what can you do. I am pretty sure the i25s will be out before I get everything right. All this being said, I liked them quite a bit, but will refrain from saying much more because there is no way that one can properly access a club that one has been waiting 3 months for. That is just too much time to wait and anticipate.

Well, thanks to you enabling bastards I just ordered a set of i20's. I went through a fitting at the best place I could find here in Syracuse, CNY Golf, because there was no way I was going to go to Golf Galaxy. My only regret is that they don't have an outdoor range so I couldn't see the actual ball flight but I figured if we got all the specs right the flight would be there. We started with the Mizuno shaft optimizer which put me in a regular. I think my club head speed with the 6i was 76mph. I was suspicious that I wasn't a "stiff" guy anymore and the optimizer swings proved that. Then we did the static measurements which put me in a standard length, yellow dot. We tested them with the lie board and there was a perfect one inch stripe right on the bottom. I went with the yellow ID4 grips because the little extra size felt better in my big meaty claws. It might also help with my miss which is a hook. I went with 4-PW because I simply can't part with my Vokey's.

Now's the hard part, waiting a whole week to get the irons. :(

Thanks Jman, I'll see if I can find it. Appreciate your help.

Woo, since I'm home now and can actually use my laptop to search:

Texas Outing and Final Wedge Thoughts: CLICK HERE

Nice SMG! Can't wait to hear your on course thoughts of it.

Just built a set with DG tour issue S400's

Can't wait to try them this weekend.

Jimmy, be sure to update us man, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Well after quite the wait, I got my i20s in and was actually able to play with them this time. However, there was another error and the clubs I have now will not be staying with me. PING put the wrong shafts in AGAIN! So they are fixing the order AGAIN, but I was told to just play these in the meantime. For a little recap, I ordered my irons on April 20th and it took until June 11th to get the correct set the first time. Which that set was promptly stolen before I could even swing them once. Then it has been another month to get these and they were wrong again. I am bummed that it has taken so long and that there have been so many errors, but what can you do. I am pretty sure the i25s will be out before I get everything right. All this being said, I liked them quite a bit, but will refrain from saying much more because there is no way that one can properly access a club that one has been waiting 3 months for. That is just too much time to wait and anticipate.

Doc, you have had the absolute roughest go around this year I have ever seen dude, cruel twists of fate again and again! I really do hope you think they are worth it when its finally all squared away.
Well, thanks to you enabling bastards I just ordered a set of i20's. I went through a fitting at the best place I could find here in Syracuse, CNY Golf, because there was no way I was going to go to Golf Galaxy. My only regret is that they don't have an outdoor range so I couldn't see the actual ball flight but I figured if we got all the specs right the flight would be there. We started with the Mizuno shaft optimizer which put me in a regular. I think my club head speed with the 6i was 76mph. I was suspicious that I wasn't a "stiff" guy anymore and the optimizer swings proved that. Then we did the static measurements which put me in a standard length, yellow dot. We tested them with the lie board and there was a perfect one inch stripe right on the bottom. I went with the yellow ID4 grips because the little extra size felt better in my big meaty claws. It might also help with my miss which is a hook. I went with 4-PW because I simply can't part with my Vokey's.

Now's the hard part, waiting a whole week to get the irons. :(

Bogey, welcome to the i20 family man. This thread says alot, but once people go hit them they generally come away amazed themselves. CONGRATS!! I can't wait to hear your updates.

As a tester on this one it is just so freaking awesome to see it still popping up and people jumping in on the i20's, seriously very very cool to me.

Bogey, welcome to the i20 family man. This thread says alot, but once people go hit them they generally come away amazed themselves. CONGRATS!! I can't wait to hear your updates.

As a tester on this one it is just so freaking awesome to see it still popping up and people jumping in on the i20's, seriously very very cool to me.

My KZG CB's are almost 15 years old and I don't think they ever fit me perfectly but when well struck the feel was second to none. I'm not as precise, or strong, as I used to be so I wanted to find a combination of forgiveness and playability. I'd been browsing the i20's, AP2's, CB3's etc. All of the information here was instrumental in me finally pulling the trigger on a new set so thank you for your attention to detail. I was astounded at how soft they felt when I hit them at GG and that sealed the deal.

The hardest part was explaining to my wife why I needed new irons after posting a 37 in last nights league. I told that her with new irons, that 37 might have been a 34! :) She didn't seem to care!

Last edited:
My KZG CB's are almost 15 years old and I don't think they ever fit me perfectly but when well struck the feel was second to none. I'm not as precise, or strong, as I used to be so I wanted to find a combination of forgiveness and playability. I'd been browsing the i20's, AP2's, CB3's etc. All of the information here was instrumental in me finally pulling the trigger on a new set so thank you for your attention to detail. I was astounded at how soft they felt when I hit them at GG and that sealed the deal.

The hardest part was explaining to my wife why I needed new irons after posting a 37 in last nights league. I told that with new irons, that 37 might have been a 34! :)

I'm sure I can speak for all 3 of use testers when I say thank you for the kind words.

As to the bold, its funny, to me these should put a crack in anyone's case that cast irons can't have that "soft feel" of forged if they choose to fight that battle. They really are a unique combo of everything, not necessarily the best in any one category (feel, forgiveness, distance, etc) but VERY good ALL-AROUND instead. Much more so that many many many irons I have hit. Only a handful of sets out there can say that too IMO.

Congrats on the recent purchases new converts. Sorry for your troubles there Doc. I hope PING gets it right this time. They are usually very good at working situations out. You have certainly been patient enough and I hope PING takes that into account on your behalf.

TapAhoy!

I'm sure I can speak for all 3 of use testers when I say thank you for the kind words.

As to the bold, its funny, to me these should put a crack in anyone's case that cast irons can't have that "soft feel" of forged if they choose to fight that battle. They really are a unique combo of everything, not necessarily the best in any one category (feel, forgiveness, distance, etc) but VERY good ALL-AROUND instead. Much more so that many many many irons I have hit. Only a handful of sets out there can say that too IMO.

You're very welcome. As a fellow hacker, it's nice to find a spot on the web where "average" golfers will give you an honest and candid review of a club based on testing over time. I'm so tired of the other sites where everyone is a 2 handicap, played hand forged wedges constructed in the forge of the Gods and drives the ball 325. I find the Golf Magazine club tests to be utterly worthless and since I can't demo every iron set out there, us average joes are extremely grateful to have someone provide unfiltered feedback. I think that's what set apart the job you, Griff and others have done. I never felt like you were saying things that you didn't absolutely believe and I don't get that from other sites.

As to the feel, I find the whole forged versus cast to be a bunch of nonsense. I've been playing golf since I was 12 so I'm now in my 34 year. To me, virtually any club that's hit perfectly in the sweet spot is going to have a good feel. The added bonus of Ping's vibration reduction means that when I miss on the toe my hands don't get that super harsh feedback. I can still tell I hit it on the toe, I just don't have to be as severely punished for it in both feel and distance.

I'm really curious is to what effect the better ss matching shaft is going to have. I'm very much looking forward to these irons!

PS: I just found out today that my beloved Vokey's wedges are cast. I won't switch from them because of the feel and control but I would have sworn that were forged!

Last edited:
You're very welcome. As a fellow hacker, it's nice to find a spot on the web where "average" golfers will give you an honest and candid review of a club based on testing over time. I'm so tired of the other sites where everyone is a 2 handicap, played hand forged wedges constructed in the forge of the Gods and drives the ball 325. I find the Golf Magazine clubtests to be utterly worthless and since I can't demo every iron set out there, us average joes are extremely grateful to have someone provide unfiltered feedback. I think that's what set apart the job you, Griff and others have done. I never felt like you were saying things that you didn't absolutely believe and I don't get that from other sites.

As to the feel, I find the whole forged versus cast to be a bunch of nonsense. I've been playing golf since I was 12 so I'm now in my 34 year. To me, virtually any club that's hit perfectly in the sweet spot is going to have a good feel. The added bonus of Ping's vibration reduction means that when I miss on the toe my hands don't get that super harsh feedback. I can still tell I hit it on the toe, I just don't have to be as severely punished for it in both feel and distance.

I'm really curious is to what effect the better ss matching shaft is going to do. I'm very much looking forward to these irons!

PS: I just found out today that my beloved Vokey's wedges are cast. I won't switch from them because of the feel and control but I would have sworn that were forged!

You have found the right place then. Its not just a site here, its a community and a family. What JB and GG have built here never ceases to blow my mind, I'm with you in that its so nice to have a place where its all about us average golfer's and not elitism.

I think the shaft change for your SS will surprise you and just make them that much better. I really can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get them in hand.

Oh, wow. Very sorry to hear. Are they putting them on a fast-track for you? Seems like the right thing to do.

Hopefully, your patience will be rewarded with some kick-ass clubs that you love.

Can anyone help with swingweight questions? The fitter never bothered with trying different swingweights (they never do in the UK apparently) and I am finding the heads of my i20 too light. I put 2 strips of lead tape on top of the vibration insert and found it worked better. I also think the fitter ordered grips that are too thick. He only did this aat the last minute and ony bu measuring my hand then giving me a single shot to hit with the midsizze. My old golfpride grips had an extra layer of tape under standard.

Any advice as I am starting to miss my titleist 735's at this rate?

Can anyone help with swingweight questions? The fitter never bothered with trying different swingweights (they never do in the UK apparently) and I am finding the heads of my i20 too light. I put 2 strips of lead tape on top of the vibration insert and found it worked better. I also think the fitter ordered grips that are too thick. He only did this aat the last minute and ony bu measuring my hand then giving me a single shot to hit with the midsizze. My old golfpride grips had an extra layer of tape under standard.

Is the additional weight helping on certain clubs or the whole set? I believe you can send the clubs in and have the weights swapped for cheap. Might also be a good time to get the right grips. They should be able to turn that around quickly but a call to Ping customer service would confirm.

If they don't have a customer service number for Scotland, I'd be happy to call and ask.

I don't think swing weight fitting is part of the "standard" fitting processs for PING, or any other vendor for that matter. The PING swing weight standard for irons is D0, which is lower than most. I've read that most people won't notice a difference of 1 or 2 swing weight points, but some of us will notice a difference of 1/2 point.

During my fitting process, which I did with my instructor over the course of about 6 weeks, we narrowed the choice of clubs down to the Mizuno JPX-800 Pro and the PING i20. The Mizuno shaft optimizer put me in DG S300, which we used in both irons. I liked the weight of the JPX-800 Pro better, but everything else pointed to the i20s. So I brought in some lead tape to the final fitting, we put some tape on the i20s, then used trackman to compare results. The i20s were the clear winner. We estimated that the 2 strips of tape changed the swing weight to D4, so that's what we ordered. It has worked well for me.

Lead tape is cheap and easy to add and remove. So I suggest you put 2 strips on all of your i20s and play a few rounds with them to see if it really makes a difference on the course for you. If so, send them back to PING at the end of the season and have them change out the CTP insert to match the swing weight. I think they

In terms of grip size, I suggest you change the grip on one iron to a standard grip size + one wrap, just to see if it really is better, or if it just a matter of what you are used to. If you want them switched out, you can have that done locally, or have it done by PING along with the swing weight change.

Wow Doc, what a nightmare. I feel really sorry for you, that bites!

sorry to hear about this Doc, talk about a string of bad luck

Ordered the I20s from my pro shop Friday at noon, they showed up this morning already. The fastest shipping of custom clubs ive ever had.

Congrats on the new sticks Vegan!

Back