TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Played my first round with these today, the 6-AW were amazing, about a club and a half longer than my old slingshots. Very accurate. They go where you are aiming. I had trouble with the 5 couldn't hit it to save my life. Tried twice and after horrible results went back to my 4 mashie instead. Very very happy with the purchase. Playing again on Saturday. Maybe I'll give the 5 another shot then.

When I had my 5 iron to test I noticed that on badly struck shots, the ball still got up in the air and rolled out to about 200 yards which is about 10 yards longer than my 5 iron-it's essentially a 4 iron with a 5 on it haha-And on good shots it still got up in the air fast and high and rolled out to a little over 200.

My question to you is did you notice something similar with your 5 iron-even on badly struck shots it still went pretty far? That's just something about the the forgiveness of these irons that I have noticed!

I honestly hit the 5 iron off the toe so badly on both shots that I went short and to the right around 150 yards. This is compared to the 7 iron from 180 that landed pin high 15 feet to the left of the flag. I badly mishit both attempts at the 5. It was a setup issue. I'm sure I just need some time with it to get adjusted.

Dang man sorry to hear that

I'm not blaming it on the club mate. I still need to adjust to them and I should be able to monkey with the lie on my own. After getting any iron adjusted it takes me a while to settle in to them.
I also have a theory the SL's or M3's will settle them down in that regard as well.

Thought I'd give some love to the RBZ irons today since they saved my sorry butt during today's round. I had a very poor driving day and ended up in some very awkward positions. My putting also pretty much sucked, but still, I managed to scrape out a 78. The reason? RBZ, baby. I hit the irons so well, it realy didn't matter where I put the drive. Just one example. Ninth hole, par 4, water down the entire left side, steep bank and then trees on the right. I block a drive to the right that ends up on the steep bank about 185 yards from the pin. This would normally be a 4 iron for me because I'm an old fart and don't hit it very far. I chose to hit a 5 iron because of all the water left and traps right and steep bank, long rough, you get the picture. A smooth swing produces a tight draw that lands on the front of the green and rolls to within 5 feet. Of course, I lip out the putt, but gawd, that was a Golf Channel highlights approach shot. I felt all day I could hit these irons anywhere I needed to. I saved so many shots today with solid iron play I probably turned a high 80s round into a sub 80s one. I really love these irons.

Thought I'd give some love to the RBZ irons today since they saved my sorry butt during today's round. I had a very poor driving day and ended up in some very awkward positions. My putting also pretty much sucked, but still, I managed to scrape out a 78. The reason? RBZ, baby. I hit the irons so well, it realy didn't matter where I put the drive. Just one example. Ninth hole, par 4, water down the entire left side, steep bank and then trees on the right. I block a drive to the right that ends up on the steep bank about 185 yards from the pin. This would normally be a 4 iron for me because I'm an old fart and don't hit it very far. I chose to hit a 5 iron because of all the water left and traps right and steep bank, long rough, you get the picture. A smooth swing produces a tight draw that lands on the front of the green and rolls to within 5 feet. Of course, I lip out the putt, but gawd, that was a Golf Channel highlights approach shot. I felt all day I could hit these irons anywhere I needed to. I saved so many shots today with solid iron play I probably turned a high 80s round into a sub 80s one. I really love these irons.

I hear ya good buddy and I have enjoyed these irons immensely. Heck I had my personal best with the RBZ irons and even when I am playing poorly, I still love me some RBZ. I realize it's always the Indian in my case and when I am playing half decent, these irons do the rest!

It'd change everything. They gave the wedge that specific sole for a reason.

It would change everything? Do you think every 52 degree wedge is exactly 52.0 degrees? Do you believe if someone gets a 52 degree wedge that's really 53 it will 'change everything'? I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this.

thought i would put some pictures up of my new rbz staff bag which i got today

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

thought i would put some pictures up of my new rbz staff bag which i got today

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

What a awesome looking setup! :blob: Absolutely first class looking bag :clapp:

That is an awesome looking bag. I hope someday to get something like that for my setup.

Have always liked that bag!

I got one like that Nate but mine looks like the little red headed step child next to his :bulgy-eyes:

It would change everything? Do you think every 52 degree wedge is exactly 52.0 degrees? Do you believe if someone gets a 52 degree wedge that's really 53 it will 'change everything'? I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this.

Not 53 but turning it into a 54 or 55 would wreck the "perfect sole".

I got one like that Nate but mine looks like the little red headed step child next to his :bulgy-eyes:

Yea, I remember seeing the picture of it....kind of like the smaller staff bag. It's ok.........:alien:

Not 53 but turning it into a 54 or 55 would wreck the "perfect sole".

The way TM described that sole, it seemed that tweaking the loft wouldn't affect the bounce

Sorry for the bump, but I just received my RBZ stand bag, 4 and 5 hybrids, and 6-PW, AW irons. :D Can't wait to try them on the range tomorrow.

Sorry for the bump, but I just received my RBZ stand bag, 4 and 5 hybrids, and 6-PW, AW irons. :D Can't wait to try them on the range tomorrow.
Good luck with the new goodies. Have fun on the range!

Has anyone hit the 3 iron? At 17 degrees I'm curious how this does off the tee. To take it a step further, has anyone tried the 3 iron with the C-taper shaft?

Hi, i have the rbz 3 iron, i find it a lot better to hit then a hybrid and is very long. I am not a big driver around 200m on good hits and this 3 iron can keep up with my driver, normally just a little short but sometimes it can get me to places where the driver normally lands on really good hits. I measured 2 shots in a game yesterday where one off the tee was 175m and the 2nd off the fairway managed 190m. I find it a really good club to hit especially on par 5s that normally is played in 4 can now be reached in 3. It does take a little getting used to but if you don't hit hybrids well this 3 iron is a really good club to use in its place.

Well, I went to the range earlier, and it was fantastic. I didn't hit my 6i well, but my 7-AW were amazing. The ball flight was nice and high - and this was my first time hitting them! I didn't hit my hybrids as great, but when I hit them solid, it was terrific. It'll just take some getting used to. Not to mention the bag turned a few heads. :)

Well, I went to the range earlier, and it was fantastic. I didn't hit my 6i well, but my 7-AW were amazing. The ball flight was nice and high - and this was my first time hitting them! I didn't hit my hybrids as great, but when I hit them solid, it was terrific. It'll just take some getting used to. Not to mention the bag turned a few heads. :)

I have hit Ole Gray's RBZ irons and I could not hit the 4 and 5 iron for the life of me to start with. I took them to the driving range at his course and hit about 15 balls with each and began stripeing them straight and long. They take a little getting used to and then they are pretty awesome like the rest of the RBZ irons. Good luck bjz, keep us posted on your progress.

I have hit Ole Gray's RBZ irons and I could not hit the 4 and 5 iron for the life of me to start with. I took them to the driving range at his course and hit about 15 balls with each and began stripeing them straight and long. They take a little getting used to and then they are pretty awesome like the rest of the RBZ irons. Good luck bjz, keep us posted on your progress.

I actually don't have the 4 and 5 irons since I got the hybrids instead. I definitely will keep you guys posted. :)

Back