Idea for testing/equipment threads

How often do you comment when you read a review? How many of the testing threads to you frequent and leave comments or start a conversation?
The reason for this thread according to the OP is to make it easier for outsiders to search. I have shown how easy it to by pass the BSing and find info. But you seem so down on the test threads and hey offer more info then BS. I'd really like to know what test thread you went into and left because you couldnt find a review.

I try and not comment in a review thread, unless I feel i have something on topic to chime in

all the testing threads are the exact same around here, there's no need to pick one... because they're all the same

you can google to find a post by a tester, but google won't put all those tester's posts into one place so you can read how their experience with the club changes as they use it more and more. Reading just one of any of the tester's posts doesn't do a service to the work the testers do, testers may have a great round and post about it, then later have a poor round and post about it as well... and if you only read one or the other, you're not getting that tester's whole story.

If I google a club and read 4 posts by tester X, but tester X has made 12 posts about the clubs.. then I'm not getting the full review from tester X

I like the idea tossed around of putting the actual testers posts together at the top of the thread like a sticky, there's so much good info here it's a shame that it's scattered all over so many pages like buckshot

I'd be interested in seeing how the manufacturers view the fluff.

That fluff lets then know people are resting and getting their product out there. I would think.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

I find it interesting that people say they have no issue but keep offering suggestion. The fact that ideas are being kicked around means some feel the testing report process is broken. Call it what you want if there wasn't an issue people would be commenting.

that shows me that people are more concerned with saying only what they think everyone wants to hear, rather than saying their actual opinions
I agree with your statement whole heartedly

I'd be interested in seeing how the manufacturers view the fluff.

That fluff lets then know people are resting and getting their product out there. I would think.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

so does the "thread views" counter.......

and that number getting higher doesn't dilute the valuable info in the thread

I find it interesting that people say they have no issue but keep offering suggestion. The fact that ideas are being kicked around means some feel the testing report process is broken. Call it what you want if there wasn't an issue people would be commenting.

Well in my defense (and I will take the above comment as something I should respond to, since I did offer up suggestions, as well as others), I think this discussion is a good thing, whether we think the process is broken or not. I don't think our testing process is bad at all (speaking as a tester and someone that reads the testing threads), and couldn't make that any more clear. But for people to be scorned for simply offering up ideas as to how to make testing more informative and streamlined going forward, is what I think is a bit silly. No offense. But, what is the issue with people thinking of new ways to go forward and maybe improve things and how we present information? I mean, none of this is a "set in stone, arm on the wrist, you have to do it or else", so I don't get what the issue is. If you like the testing threads, great, so do I. But what can I do to make them better? I don't think it's an unfair question or discussion.

I don't feel it's broken, but do I feel it could be improved? Sure. I don't think there's any issue collaborating on ideas. If I'm offending anyone by trying to improve the testing process or if somebody feels I'm insulting current testers, it wasn't meant that way. If that's the case, feel free to lock it up, no worries.

I just power scroll and look for avatars of testers or long posts when im catching up. Easy stuff.

Posted via tapatalk

A-freaking-men. It is NOT hard,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try and not comment in a review thread, unless I feel i have something on topic to chime in

all the testing threads are the exact same around here, there's no need to pick one... because they're all the same

you can google to find a post by a tester, but google won't put all those tester's posts into one place so you can read how their experience with the club changes as they use it more and more. Reading just one of any of the tester's posts doesn't do a service to the work the testers do, testers may have a great round and post about it, then later have a poor round and post about it as well... and if you only read one or the other, you're not getting that tester's whole story.

If I google a club and read 4 posts by tester X, but tester X has made 12 posts about the clubs.. then I'm not getting the full review from tester X

I like the idea tossed around of putting the actual testers posts together at the top of the thread like a sticky, there's so much good info here it's a shame that it's scattered all over so many pages like buckshot

Ok say all of the testers reviews are placed in one place. Where are questions posted? Does posting reviews in one area take away the fluff?

Just because people are suggesting ways that something could be improved, doesn't mean that the process is broken. I don't see how making suggestions to how something could visually look better should be insulting to any of the testers, as the information provided by them was never the concern. I love the fact that I'm reading an unbiased opinion by someone who doesn't get paid to run club after club through a series of tests, giving a half-assed write up about something they may never have touched if they weren't getting paid to do so.

That's the beautiful thing about the internet. It gives more people the ability to make their opinion readily available, giving more people the ability to argue that opinion, with an end result of me getting nothing done at work. Gotta love it.

Just because people are suggesting ways that something could be improved, doesn't mean that the process is broken. I don't see how making suggestions to how something could visually look better should be insulting to any of the testers, as the information provided by them was never the concern. I love the fact that I'm reading an unbiased opinion by someone who doesn't get paid to run club after club through a series of tests, giving a half-assed write up about something they may never have touched if they weren't getting paid to do so.

That's the beautiful thing about the internet. It gives more people the ability to make their opinion readily available, giving more people the ability to argue that opinion, with an end result of me getting nothing done at work. Gotta love it.

Amen to getting nothing done at work!!! Hahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does everyone know it is possible (and easy) to search for all posts by a specific user within a specific thread? You can even narrow it down to see only the last X days posts, etc.

Example, I went to the Seemore M Series testing thread (since its been mentioned a few times for length) and completed a search for all of Tadashi70's posts. Here are the steps:
1. Load the thread
2. Click 'Search this thread' (top right)
3. Click 'Advanced Search'
4. Enter the forum name of the tester you are looking for (the search box is smart, so it will complete the name if you dont know all of it)
5. Click Search
6. Search returned every post Tadashi70 created in the Seemore Testing Thread

I dont think the testing threads are broken by any means. I do think they can be improved upon though. In my opinion there is always room for improvement. Ive had a lot of experience doing user research in my line of work and
well I suppose that gets me thinking about how all different types of people access/use a product.

I personally know a handful of people that have found the review threads overwhelming and have given up on them. Based on some of the thoughts in this thread, I see that might actually be a more common occurrence than not.
Like any piece of software you have your "Hardcore" users and your "Casual" users, and finding the balance of usability between those two groups is important.

I like the idea of having the first posts reserved for testers to edit as a review linking area because it's simple, requires very little extra effort from the tester, and in my opinion, would make the testing threads a good deal more manageable for a wide variety of users.

I followed the Ping i20 iron thread the best that I could, and when I saw how Jman setup his posts with reference links I thought, "This. This is the way to do it." It made that thread infinitely more manageable, and that concept now has me thinking "Why stop there? Is there still room to make it better than that?"

Well in my defense (and I will take the above comment as something I should respond to, since I did offer up suggestions, as well as others), I think this discussion is a good thing, whether we think the process is broken or not. I don't think our testing process is bad at all (speaking as a tester and someone that reads the testing threads), and couldn't make that any more clear. But for people to be scorned for simply offering up ideas as to how to make testing more informative and streamlined going forward, is what I think is a bit silly. No offense. But, what is the issue with people thinking of new ways to go forward and maybe improve things and how we present information? I mean, none of this is a "set in stone, arm on the wrist, you have to do it or else", so I don't get what the issue is. If you like the testing threads, great, so do I. But what can I do to make them better? I don't think it's an unfair question or discussion.
No offense taken, it's a healthy discussion about a process that manufactures seem to like. Seemore and KBS recently applauded in the test thread the work of the testers and the reviews.
As to thinking things could be better, has anyone asked the owners of THP if they mind? I'm not the one making suggestions about how to make the process better so I have not issue. I have no issue scrolling through the treads and reading what I want, it's not difficult. People sugar coating their statements makes nonsense to me when you list three different ways to change something you're not even sure is broken.
I don't feel it's broken, but do I feel it could be improved? Sure. I don't think there's any issue collaborating on ideas. If I'm offending anyone by trying to improve the testing process or if somebody feels I'm insulting current testers, it wasn't meant that way. If that's the case, feel free to lock it up, no worries.
None of us has said we are offended. I am taking the opposite side of this, nothing more. I don't see a major problem with the testing threads. I do agree as I have said in several other post that there is some no test banter but not enough to drive people away. Judging by the number of new members on a daily basis I think the discussion between the test post is healthy. One persons post may be related to by an outside reader and keeps them at THP.
i remember a thread that testers complained no one asked questions. Hell look at the home page reviews that the staff prepares, barely any comments. If you feel it needs to be improved, so be it. I really don't see it that way, if anything I would say the forum needs to me more involved with the testing. But it's like very thing else, if it doesn't pertain then they don't get involved.

Does everyone know it is possible (and easy) to search for all posts by a specific user within a specific thread? You can even narrow it down to see only the last X days posts, etc.

Example, I went to the Seemore M Series testing thread (since its been mentioned a few times for length) and completed a search for all of Tadashi70's posts. Here are the steps:
1. Load the thread
2. Click 'Search this thread' (top right)
3. Click 'Advanced Search'
4. Enter the forum name of the tester you are looking for (the search box is smart, so it will complete the name if you dont know all of it)
5. Click Search
6. Search returned every post Tadashi70 created in the Seemore Testing Thread
What? No way! Your kidding :alien2:

Ok say all of the testers reviews are placed in one place. Where are questions posted? Does posting reviews in one area take away the fluff?

maybe any questions for the testers could be collected in another area and/or mass sent to the testers

I'm certainly not claiming to have the answers, and the review threads do have a ton of great info in them. I think this thread is a good discussion about what could possibly be done to streamline things a bit :drinks:

maybe there could be a testers opinions/review thread, and a separate thread where questions are asked/answered?
(again, I'm just tossing ideas out there, haven't spent a ton of time/research/effort into pulling the best solution out)

No offense taken, it's a healthy discussion about a process that manufactures seem to like. Seemore and KBS recently applauded in the test thread the work of the testers and the reviews.
As to thinking things could be better, has anyone asked the owners of THP if they mind? I'm not the one making suggestions about how to make the process better so I have not issue. I have no issue scrolling through the treads and reading what I want, it's not difficult. People sugar coating their statements makes nonsense to me when you list three different ways to change something you're not even sure is broken.

None of us has said we are offended. I am taking the opposite side of this, nothing more. I don't see a major problem with the testing threads. I do agree as I have said in several other post that there is some no test banter but not enough to drive people away. Judging by the number of new members on a daily basis I think the discussion between the test post is healthy. One persons post may be related to by an outside reader and keeps them at THP.
i remember a thread that testers complained no one asked questions. Hell look at the home page reviews that the staff prepares, barely any comments. If you feel it needs to be improved, so be it. I really don't see it that way, if anything I would say the forum needs to me more involved with the testing. But it's like very thing else, if it doesn't pertain then they don't get involved.

Dude, I understand what you are saying. But for the average person (the non-THP member or site frequenter), Googling the internet for SeeMore reviews, KBS reviews, ATV reviews, whatever, the threads can get intimidating, time consuming, and information can get lost in the shuffle at times. Were not trying to overthrow the United States Government here, but simply laying out ways WE (me as a tester included) can make the threads more user friendly for everyone, including those that are yet to visit our site and become regulars. Again, it boils down to, "what can I, as a tester, do better", not "What can THP do better", because THP is not the issue and again, I can't make that anymore clear. Let's not kid ourselves here, not EVERYONE, is on THP the amount of time that pretty much everyone commenting in this thread is, you and I included.

Me, personally, I would rather have this discussion HERE, in this post that Brooksy created, than have it bog down the testing threads. I couldn't imagine trying to conduct a testing and having the threads bogged down with "Can you try doing this", "You need to do this with your reviews". I am sure the manufacturers would appreciate that too.

It's a discussion. Nothing more. It's not to make anyone feel bad. It's not to strong arm people into making changes in the way they do things. If one person says they would like to see something different and is willing to take time to offer up a few suggestions on what they would like to see, I am going to listen and do my best to at least, meet them halfway or part of the way, and try to incorporate a few of their thoughts into how I do things. I think that at the least, may help me become a better tester.

Dude, I understand what you are saying. But for the average person (the non-THP member or site frequenter), Googling the internet for SeeMore reviews, KBS reviews, ATV reviews, whatever, the threads can get intimidating, time consuming, and information can get lost in the shuffle at times. Were not trying to overthrow the United States Government here, but simply laying out ways WE (me as a tester included) can make the threads more user friendly for everyone, including those that are yet to visit our site and become regulars. Again, it boils down to, "what can I, as a tester, do better", not "What can THP do better", because THP is not the issue and again, I can't make that anymore clear. Let's not kid ourselves here, not EVERYONE, is on THP the amount of time that pretty much everyone commenting in this thread is, you and I included.

Me, personally, I would rather have this discussion HERE, in this post that Brooksy created, than have it bog down the testing threads. I couldn't imagine trying to conduct a testing and having the threads bogged down with "Can you try doing this", "You need to do this with your reviews". I am sure the manufacturers would appreciate that too.

It's a discussion. Nothing more. It's not to make anyone feel bad. It's not to strong arm people into making changes in the way they do things. If one person says they would like to see something different and is willing to take time to offer up a few suggestions on what they would like to see, I am going to listen and do my best to at least, meet them halfway or part of the way, and try to incorporate a few of their thoughts into how I do things. I think that at the least, may help me become a better tester.

Great thoughts, +1!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I think the whole point of my thread kind of got lost along the way. Again, I'm not looking to take anything away from the testers. I'm not asking for separate threads or blogs or anything crazy like comments being disabled. All I merely wanted to do was bring up the idea of maybe putting summaries in the testers first posts. I really don't think it's that hard, but again, I never asked that it be mandatory. Just maybe encouraged. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with our testing process at all, don't really know where that came from.

I just thought if you see ways you can continue to get better, you'd be crazy not to at least talk about it. If THP testing stays the same way it is right now forever that's fine with me, I'll still be here reading as much as I possibly can. Just trying to help.

Nothing wrong with HEALTHY discussion, but I do agree that some obviously think its broke or they wouldn't make a big deal about it, which I sure as heck don't even begin to comprehend.

First, I kinda like the thought of each having a sort of "Table of Contents" post in the start of the thread they keep updated with links like I do all of my testing posts, hell, I already do it so it would be easy peasy for me. How are you going to let all of the peekers/passers by know to check there though? Are you going to post it all the time reminding them to go to the first post? Is this not "fluff" in itself then by some peoples definitions?

Now, I want to bring this from Freddie right back to the forefront. How many of you that think the testing threads are too cluttered with "fluff" ever check the social media of the companies who's products are being tested? Freddie hit it on the head that the companies sure seem to be pleased, heck SeeMore just posted about it once again today, and I know for a fact in the i20 testing PING absolutely LOVED the feedback that went on in that testing including the "fluff" because within that there was a LOT of questions answered and discussion had ABOUT THE PRODUCT BEING TESTED, just like in the SeeMore thread there is a LOT of gems of information and thoughts in between the testing posts. If the companies didn't like it, do you think they would be so vocal about liking what they see from the testing done here on THP?

As a tester who has and does bust my butt to give the best feedback I possibly can to everyone and make it easy for anyone to read I love the feedback, it drives me. Not only that, the in between contains so much good information and thought it might blow some peoples minds if they would just stop to read it. I've tested a product that got little to no feedback and there was no discussion except between the testers and I will tell you that honest to goodness takes it out of you as a tester.

Just food for thought and my personal opinion.

I love the testing here, not because I've been chosen, but because you WILL NOT get this type of information from ANY other golf forum, you simply won't. THP is a golf utopia and it is by the people and for the people, that is a beautiful thing.

I don't think I have weighed in on this one. But I don't believe anything needs to change. If somebody new has a question, even if it has been has 100 times previously in the thread, it isn't hard to re-answer the question.

Also, considering how somethings have gone in the past with testing threads, and testers not updating the threads, to add more steps to the testers may drive some testers to not update the thread out of sheer laziness.

I am not entirely sure that the testing threads and procedures are broken, so why fix them? I would have no problems summarizing my experiences over and over throughout the thread if asked multiple times to do so. That is a lot easier than constently editing a post that's being used for cliff notes.

Very well, no worries. That's why I don't make the important decisions :alien:

check this one for an example of what's right AND what's wrong, it's almost comical

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...4355-Nventix-Nunchuk-370-Review-Forum-Testing

playdough is doing a great job presenting info and reviewing and his good info is mixed in with just posts for the sake of padding post count

it's a 35 post thread, and roughly 1/3 of the posts are "good start/good intro/looking forward to it"

playdough is bringing it with his review, what is 1/3 of the thread saying good start/good into/looking forward bringing?

check this one for an example of what's right AND what's wrong, it's almost comical

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...4355-Nventix-Nunchuk-370-Review-Forum-Testing

playdough is doing a great job presenting info and reviewing and his good info is mixed in with just posts for the sake of padding post count

it's a 35 post thread, and roughly 1/3 of the posts are "good start/good intro/looking forward to it"

playdough is bringing it with his review, what is 1/3 of the thread saying good start/good into/looking forward bringing?

They're adding dialogue and interaction. All of which are encouraging to the people doing the testing.

Back