TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Thanks for your thoughts, I am really interested in your comparisons with the SCOR wedges, keep it coming please!
No problem and will do.
Nice thoughts 10yard. Such a good wedge isn't it? I just love how versatile it is.
Thanks Kmac, it is a very good wedge, I hit everything from toe down runners to low spinners to high flops today. Awesome stuff so far from the ATV.

I am still in love with the ATV's. The 50/56* combo is a great setup and I just keep adding more and more shots. I am working on the low runner that bounces and then checks. A little more practice and I think I'll be good.

I am still in love with the ATV's. The 50/56* combo is a great setup and I just keep adding more and more shots. I am working on the low runner that bounces and then checks. A little more practice and I think I'll be good.
That is one of my favorite wedge shots, play it almost off my back foot and 1/2 to 3/4 backswing and a short follow through and that baby comes in low takes a big first bounce then stops dead in its tracks.

That is one of my favorite wedge shots, play it almost off my back foot and 1/2 to 3/4 backswing and a short follow through and that baby comes in low takes a big first bounce then stops dead in its tracks.

Hit this shot today from 70 yards that checked to about 3 feet. Pin tucked right over the bunker, and I stuck it like a boss.

Too bad I still sucked elsewhere.

I just about have it. It's awesome. Dave helped me a little with it today.

Can I hit yours soon and can you give me short game lessons?

Hit this shot today from 70 yards that checked to about 3 feet. Pin tucked right over the bunker, and I stuck it like a boss.

Too bad I still sucked elsewhere.
I played horrible today as well dude but the ATV was working its magic! Once I get my distance dialed in I have a feeling I will be pretty lethal with this wedge.
I just about have it. It's awesome. Dave helped me a little with it today.
Thats good your working on it man, it's a fantastic shot to have in the arsenal.

Count me as part of the group that played like garbage today but I think I hit the ATV pretty darn well. I had some very good sand shots today with the ATV the only problem was that a couple of them were attempt #2 from the sand LOL. I always get nervous nelly on that first swing instead of staying aggressive with it. As usual it was awesome from the rough which I found myself in all too often.

Count me as part of the group that played like garbage today but I think I hit the ATV pretty darn well. I had some very good sand shots today with the ATV the only problem was that a couple of them were attempt #2 from the sand LOL. I always get nervous nelly on that first swing instead of staying aggressive with it. As usual it was awesome from the rough which I found myself in all too often.
This is something I have seen as well, I know you testers have been talking about it but it just rips through that rough with ease. The only trouble shot I have had from the rough was on baked out grass and the club just went right underneath the ball and I hit it really high on the face.

ATV Wedge Testing
08/04/2012
80* winds 12 mph
Dry fast conditions

The day was kind of a mixed bag of results on the course, but the most glaring failure was in hitting greens. To make things worst it seemed almost every missed green was on the wrong side leaving me short sided and/or quick little down hill chips from the rough. This course just finished a big tourny, so not only were the greens really tracked up, but the flags were in some of the craziest spots I've ever seen. Looking back it's really easy to figure out what I did wrong (besides missing greens), I decelerated on a ton of chips, but carry the ball a few inches long meant blowing way past pins, it was just a tough situation.

Full 90 to 100 yards out I was solid enough, most were from the rough and I was able to find the green, but none were within that confident putter range. Not much to report on the 60 yards and in shots as I switched back to the 60* this round, but from 20 yards I hit several very nice B&R's that tracked well and saved par 3 different times. Concentration over the shot was just tough today and it showed in the overall round such as on hole #2. 105 yards out with a bear tight lie, I've got all the confidence in the world with this shot. I set up, hit the ball pure and watched it sail low and long about 150 yards, (grabbed the wrong damn club, haha).

I still have pretty mixed feelings about the ATV overall. I struggle with finesse shots, yet the deep rough and full shots seem to give me an edge over other wedges. Also flop shots are just killer with the ATV. Here's one from the rough that had a lot of grass behind the ball. I had to get the ball up quick and carry quite a ways. It ended up about 12 feet past the flag and against the fringe edge, but not bad at all from where I was. I did make the come back putt, so all's good.

Score Card
Spoiler
GS7-4-12.png

These wedges, combined with the secret grips, continue to really impress me. On my round yesterday I had 4 holes where I was 5-10 yards off the green in various lies and I was able to get up and down every time. 3 were with the 56 and 1 was the 60 degree. And more impressive was the fact that on all 4 of them, the ball was stone dead and a gimme. Probably the shot of the day with these wedges was on a par five where I had hit the 56 degree full from 85 yards. It jumped a bit on me out of the rough and just landed over the green. I wasn't mad because the shot itself was perfect, it just jumped on me. Unfortunately I short sided myself big time. I was about 3 yards off the green to a very fast downhill pin that was maybe 10 feet on the green. High anxiety. I pulled out the 56. Played it in the middle of my stance and landed it just on the green and it rolled to 3" from the cup. Awesome. These wedges have been instrumental in my scoring averages going down significantly in the last 3 weeks. Can't say enough good things, especially the wedge the sole interacts with anything from the tight lie, rough, or sand.

Here is a mini review of my limited experience with an ATV wedge so far.

1. Grip and shaft

I like the grip fitted as standard on these , the two circles help create a consistent hand position which coupled with practice on 1/2 and 3/4 swings is creating consistent distances.......this is what a wedge is all about.

I have a KBS Tour 90 shaft fitted ( my specs Stiff flex 1/2" longer 2* upright club bent from 50* to 49* ) I have previously spoken of my love of KBS shafts and this hasn't changed my opinion of them.....great gear .....I have toyed with the idea of a Hi rev shaft but more on that later.

2.Feel and Sound

I know other people have commented on the sound but it is different. , there is a click on a full shot , sounds very different to my XFT wedges. It's not a bad thing just different.
I am still getting used to the wedge but currently it doesn't have the same feel off the face as my XFT. , it feels a little well it's difficult to put into words .......dull feeling , that may just mean I need to adjust to the club.....I will comment more when I have used it more.

3. Shot making
I spent a good hour on the practice green today , I picked one flag to go for with my shots and spread the balls around the green area so I had different distances and different lies for each shot .
As I lined up the first shot out of a deep fluffy lie I remembered what others have said in this thread about just trust the wedge to do its work , so I didn't try anything fancy , a couple of practice swings , and hit the ball , the club cut through the grass so easily and popped the ball up nicely......bounce bounce roll.....2 feet to the cup.....WOW
A bare lie this time ......time for one of IHWT toe down chip thingamyjigs......nice ball out and rolling like a putt.....I didn't pick a good line but it would do for a putt to scramble a par.....

So after my hour , my conclusions so far.......

I like this club , it's versatile and forgiving and cuts through the rough so easily ...it's almost like cheating......
I am going to have to practice this toe down chip ....it's a life saver.....
The club face produces a tremendous amount of spin......I can see the backspin on the ball as it goes through the air , and softer balls like the Penta and the Prov1 can be made to check really quickly......this could catch me out though.
Because of the spin I am seeing currently I feel that the Hi rev shaft might actually make my life harder......( never say never though)
My only dislike at the moment is I don't seem to get the same feel/feedback through the club face as I do from the XFTs. , this maybe just me having to get used to the new club , I hope so as its has so many positives I don't want to find a fault with it. , but the purpose of these personal reviews is so that people can be well informed about everything before they make a purchase , so I am not going to hide my opinion.
signing off for now , as I am hoping Andy Murray can finally win something at Wimbledon!

Nice job Haggis and Ranger, I'm loving some of the results people are seeing with these. I'm also pretty stocked that these seem to compete well with the XFT's, which I loved the couple times I tried them.

I had a chance to play Friday again for my league, but didn't get to write about it yesterday because I was in Pittsburgh all day moving things back down to my apartment. So here are a few more thoughts:

1. The toe down shot is an absolute lifesaver. I feel like I have so much more control over my distances with this shot than I do with a regular chip shot around the green. The club doesn't get caught up in the rough and it helps you get through the ball without thinking you'll be long, thus stopping on your swing like I usually do.

2. I've really gotten this club dialed in from like 85 yards and in. My distance control has been pretty damn good once I learned to be more careful with my tempo. I've found if I get too quick, I hit the shots a little fat because the sole does such a good job at cutting through the turf.

3. The ability to play different shots is still impressing me. I hit a couple little bump and runs, but I was also hitting flop (style) shots from about 20-25 yards off the green. It's cool to see how the grinds work on different shots.

4. The Lamkin grip is awesome! I hated it at first because when I gripped down, I'd always mishit the ball somehow. But now that I've got some practice, I like being able to place the extra length on the shaft almost onto my wrist, which locks the club down when I come through the ball.

My game on Friday was pretty bad, but the one thing that was consistent was the ATV and the putter. I had probably 3 or 4 shots with the toe down technique that I almost holed out, which is pretty damn good for me, especially from the immediate green-side rough.

Is the multi-bounce sole a gimmick or does it really work? If it works, how well does it work?

Is the multi-bounce sole a gimmick or does it really work? If it works, how well does it work?

What it does is that the Bounce angle changes depending on how the face and sole are interacting to the ground, for example if you set up for an open faced sand shot, the bounce will be different than when you set up for a chip on a tight lie-here the bounce is pretty low I believe.

It works because I've been able to do sand shots, chips, pitches, flop shots and tight lies all with one wedge, try that with my Vokey SM4, doesn't work as well. . .

Check this out

Spoiler

From Vokey's site
turf_conditions.png

From Taylormade's sight, the ATV covers most of these areas
464x325-all-terrain-performance.png

I would recommend reading the SCOR forum testing review as well as the ATV forum testing review and judge for yourself. Lots of great info in there.

I would recommend reading the SCOR forum testing review as well as the ATV forum testing review and judge for yourself. Lots of great info in there.
I agree with this. Simply put YES it works very very well.

Here is a mini review of my limited experience with an ATV wedge so far.

1. Grip and shaft

I like the grip fitted as standard on these , the two circles help create a consistent hand position which coupled with practice on 1/2 and 3/4 swings is creating consistent distances.......this is what a wedge is all about.

I have a KBS Tour 90 shaft fitted ( my specs Stiff flex 1/2" longer 2* upright club bent from 50* to 49* ) I have previously spoken of my love of KBS shafts and this hasn't changed my opinion of them.....great gear .....I have toyed with the idea of a Hi rev shaft but more on that later.

2.Feel and Sound

I know other people have commented on the sound but it is different. , there is a click on a full shot , sounds very different to my XFT wedges. It's not a bad thing just different.
I am still getting used to the wedge but currently it doesn't have the same feel off the face as my XFT. , it feels a little well it's difficult to put into words .......dull feeling , that may just mean I need to adjust to the club.....I will comment more when I have used it more.

3. Shot making
I spent a good hour on the practice green today , I picked one flag to go for with my shots and spread the balls around the green area so I had different distances and different lies for each shot .
As I lined up the first shot out of a deep fluffy lie I remembered what others have said in this thread about just trust the wedge to do its work , so I didn't try anything fancy , a couple of practice swings , and hit the ball , the club cut through the grass so easily and popped the ball up nicely......bounce bounce roll.....2 feet to the cup.....WOW
A bare lie this time ......time for one of IHWT toe down chip thingamyjigs......nice ball out and rolling like a putt.....I didn't pick a good line but it would do for a putt to scramble a par.....

So after my hour , my conclusions so far.......

I like this club , it's versatile and forgiving and cuts through the rough so easily ...it's almost like cheating......
I am going to have to practice this toe down chip ....it's a life saver.....
The club face produces a tremendous amount of spin......I can see the backspin on the ball as it goes through the air , and softer balls like the Penta and the Prov1 can be made to check really quickly......this could catch me out though.
Because of the spin I am seeing currently I feel that the Hi rev shaft might actually make my life harder......( never say never though)
My only dislike at the moment is I don't seem to get the same feel/feedback through the club face as I do from the XFTs. , this maybe just me having to get used to the new club , I hope so as its has so many positives I don't want to find a fault with it. , but the purpose of these personal reviews is so that people can be well informed about everything before they make a purchase , so I am not going to hide my opinion.
signing off for now , as I am hoping Andy Murray can finally win something at Wimbledon!

Nice thoughts, Ranger. Initially, me and a few others kind of had the same impressions you did. Not much in the way of feedback or feel with the ATV. I believe it was my only real gripe through my first few times out with the ATV. As I have learned to trust the wedge more, and accelerate through my shots and just let the wedge work, I have grown more accustomed to it and actually, really enjoy the feel I get. The ATV doesn't necessarily tell me when I hit the ball off the heel or toe, as much as my Cleveland's do. But, on the flip side, I am not punished with bad shots as much as I am when I hit off the heel or toe with the Cleveland's either. So, I guess that is a good tradeoff.

Well, I just got home from a jumbo bucket at the range...and I'm back to normal. Well, let me elaborate...I am always really good on the range, just not always so good on the course. I am your classic player that has trouble translating my swing success fully on to the golf course. Let me tell you, this is probably the most frustating thing in the world. I honestly think I am Web.com material on the range (yes, serious), yet on the course, I am just your run of the mill solid low handicap golfer...often times, just average golfer in general.

Anyway, I was on point with my ATV's on the range today. Shots of 60-70 yards with the 56°, and full swings with the 50°; both showed outstanding results. When my swing is clicking, these wedges are really so much fun to hit. I pull them out and then have a hard time putting them back in the bag to move to other clubs.

Regardless of my on course struggles, what really matters in terms of testing and forming an opinion on a club is how they perform on your "better swings". No club is going to fix a bad swing. When my swing is on, these clubs are truly amazing clubs...ones I would say are on a level of their own.

ATV Wedge Testing

These wedges...

Here is a mini review...

I had a chance to play Friday...

Great reviews guys, very nice thoughts and info in all of these. Due, nice video bro! I enjoyed reading them all, this thread has been great from start to now...it seems a lot of guys are seeing the same things, which IMO makes these as a proven club, not just flukes or honeymoons for some guys here and there. Really good stuff.

I decided to take the plunge and buy an ATV this weekend. 56* KBS SHaft. I played 18 on Sunday and used this club for all shots inside 80yds in. I enjoyed it thoroughly! My biggest complaint is that I am not used to it yet. I hit some pretty terrible shots, but it was because of my swing. It did save me a few times close to the green (10 to 15yds out). I had a few shots where I swung too hard (at least i thought). The ball carried all the way to the hole. To my surprised it hit and checked up 5 feet past the hole. With my old wedge, the ball would have flew off the green. This happened a few times. With more practice, this will become my go to club. Next month I hope to be purchasing the 50 or 52* to complete my wedges. I am thinking of tossing my 60* as well. I was able to hit a couple of nice flop shots that I would normally go to my 60* for. Thank you guys for all of your input! This forum helped me make my decision.

I have not had a chance to read "all" of this forum, but the "toe down" shot keeps popping up. Can anyone send me a link to that or tell me what page it is on? I am curious to try it out.

Thanks for all the great reviews! Just picked up a 60 ATV on the bay. Looking forward to playing with it!!

I decided to take the plunge and buy an ATV this weekend. 56* KBS SHaft. I played 18 on Sunday and used this club for all shots inside 80yds in. I enjoyed it thoroughly! My biggest complaint is that I am not used to it yet. I hit some pretty terrible shots, but it was because of my swing. It did save me a few times close to the green (10 to 15yds out). I had a few shots where I swung too hard (at least i thought). The ball carried all the way to the hole. To my surprised it hit and checked up 5 feet past the hole. With my old wedge, the ball would have flew off the green. This happened a few times. With more practice, this will become my go to club. Next month I hope to be purchasing the 50 or 52* to complete my wedges. I am thinking of tossing my 60* as well. I was able to hit a couple of nice flop shots that I would normally go to my 60* for. Thank you guys for all of your input! This forum helped me make my decision.

I have not had a chance to read "all" of this forum, but the "toe down" shot keeps popping up. Can anyone send me a link to that or tell me what page it is on? I am curious to try it out.

Thanks for your thoughts Blynn. Sounds like you saw much the same as we have testing the ATV. It does take a few rounds to get used to it as for me the weight and feel was a bit different from my other wedges.

Ive found the ATV to be very easy to hit and specially good around the greens. Its like knife through butter in the rough. As for that toe down shot its really quite simple and one I think the ATV is very good at too. I use it around the fringe or just off it. I set up with my weight on the left side a little more with the toe more down at address and take a putting type stroke at the ball. Usually the ball pops up and just over the fringe onto the green with some decent roll out. Almost holed out a few ships using this with the ATV.

Need to get caught up on the past few pages in here, as my wedge ponder is in high gear again and these are sitting at the top of the list.

Back