Chronicles of a "Training Aid" Junkie

Grinder

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Last year, I made a commitment to improve my golf swing. I have been a 10 handicap for the past decade. Following is a list of "Training Aids" and my efforts/results.

(First Step: I admit I have a Problem)

Swing Flaws: 1) Sway 2) Over the Top 3) Cut Putting Stroke 4) Too Much Time Thinking About Golf

Training Aids:

1) Orange Whip (Tempo/Timing)

2) Athletic Swing (Connection)

3) Swing Glove (Flat Left Wrist)

4) The Anchor (Knee Flex)

5) The Can't Miss (Gyroscope Putting Aid)

6) The Putting Arc (Stroke Trainer)

7) Ball of Steel (Heavy Putting Balls)

New Equipment:

1) Seemore DB4 Putter (Last September)
2) Two Thumbs Putting Grip (February)

Books Read:

1) Perfect Your Golf Swing (Jimmy Ballard)
2) Feel the Inside, Move the Outside (Mike Hebron)
3) Seven Days in Utopia (David Cook)
4) The Next Generation DVD (Sean Foley)
5) Stan Utley Putting Book
6) Dave Stockton Putting Book

Lessons:

Jack Connel, PGA Professional, Dalhousie Country Club.

A) Three Lessons-2011
B) Two Lessons-2012

Practice Regiment:

100 strokes a day for two months (The Putting Arc)
100 strokes a day for two months (TCM)
50 strokes a day starting in Mid July (TCM)

Driving Range twice a week:

Athletic Swing (Connection) 40 balls per session (April-Present)
Swing Glove (Flat Wrist) 30 balls per session ( 2-Months/2 Gloves)
The Anchor (Knee Flex) 30 balls per session (July-Present)

Drills Incorporated:

Right foot back (Sean Foley Contact Drill) 10 balls per session (April-Present)
Towel drill (Sean Foley Connection Drill) 20 Practice Swings every day (2-Months)
Towel drill (Sean Foley) 30 balls per session (Aug 7 -)
Ball of Steel (5-10 strokes when Deceleration is Detected)

Warmup:

Putt and Chip for (10 minutes Pre-Round)
Orange Whip (10 Swings Pre-Round)

Results:

1) 90% Eliminated Cut Stroke. I am now one of the better putters in my league.
2) Dropped League Average from 9 to 5 per 18 holes. ( This may be too low)
3) Still fighting Over the top and Sway.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like the regiment paid off, out of everything you have used and still use, what's the one thing you find the most benefit from?

WOW, just curious, in all of this did you ever consider a lesson instead of all the training aids?

Wow this is amazing! Some hard work put in on this for sure! Congrats dude

Very cool. Glad you saw some improvement. Keep up the hard work!

Coolbreeze,

Great Question: "Did you think about a lesson?"

Answer: Yes, (5 lessons from: Jack Connel, PGA Professional) (2011-three lessons, 2012-two lessons)
I can not afford to have a Professional watch me during every practice session, hence: Training Aids.

IceyHosselRockets (I never say or print the other Word)

My Putting has, by far, improved the most. "The Putting Arc" and "TCM" helped the most. In addition, I adopted a "Prayers Grip" putting style that keeps my shoulders, hands and arms Level through out my putting stroke. (P.S. I love my Putter and putting grip). (I also favor, Pat O'Brien"s, putting method)

I love the "Orange Whip" for timing, but, have not seen any benefit working with it on a daily basis.

I bought, "The Anchor", a month ago and It really helps me stay in a proper coil position in practice. (This has yet to become Muscle Memory)

I use the "Athletic Swing" Connection straps during every practice. (I believe, I've made solid in-roads towards a one-piece takeaway) (P.S. A glove under the left arm pit will accomplish the same thing)

I love Jimmy Ballard's and David Cook's books. Like, Stan Utley's, Mike Hebron's books and Sean Foley's DVD. I did not like, nor, find Dave Stockton's book very helpful.

Note: I play at a public golf course that is only 5,816 yards long. I believe the slope is around 110 and it's hilly, but wide open.

Note 2: I still do not consider myself a "Ball Striker". I fight the Sway and Over the Top moves way too much. My putting and Chipping are my strong suits.

Last edited:
Coolbreeze,

Great Question: "Did you think about a lesson?"

Answer: Yes, (4 lessons from: Jack Connel, PGA Professional) (2011-two lessons, 2012-two lessons)
I can not afford to have a Professional watch me during every practice session, hence: Training Aids.

IceyHosselRockets (I never say or print the word Sh--Ks)

My Putting has, by far, improved the most. "The Putting Arc" and "TCM" helped the most. In addition, I adopted a "Prayers Grip" putting style that keeps my shoulders, hands and arms Level through out my putting stroke. (P.S. I love my Putter and putting grip).

I love the "Orange Whip" for timing, but, have not seen any benefit working with it on a daily basis.

I bought, "The Anchor", a month ago and It really helps me stay in a proper coil position in practice. (This has yet to become Muscle Memory)

I use the "Athletic Swing" Connection straps during every practice. (I believe, I've made solid in-roads towards a one-piece takeaway) (P.S A glove under the left arm pit will accomplish the same thing)

I love Jimmy Ballard's and David Cook's books. Like, Stan Utley's, Mike Hebron's book and Sean Foley's DVD. I did not like, nor, find Dave Stockton's book interesting.
Thats awesome man, I'm the same as you, I can't afford a ton of lessons but try and make sure I take one every 6 months or so just to see where I am.

Serious question: do you get confused reading all of those different books and watching DVDs? For example, I think that Jimmy Ballard's methodology is way off from what Sean Foley teaches, yet you say you liked both of them. I would also think that Utley's approach to putting differs significantly from Stockton's method. I'm a big fan of Stockton's method, but I can see where it's not for everyone.

Serious question: do you get confused reading all of those different books and watching DVDs? For example, I think that Jimmy Ballard's methodology is way off from what Sean Foley teaches, yet you say you liked both of them. I would also think that Utley's approach to putting differs significantly from Stockton's method. I'm a big fan of Stockton's method, but I can see where it's not for everyone.
Good point Ary, I've found a philosophy that I think works for me, and I don't read any tips or info about the golf swing from anyonne else.

You have obviously put a ton of thought into your preparation.
Congratulations on your results.
It's when the results plateau that continuing the work rather than abandoning it all together becomes really difficult.

Very interesting, i am impressed with your dedication.

arydolphin,

"Do I get confused reading all of those books and viewing DVD's?" Good Question.

Answer: No

Why: I believe every golfer should read all they can and decide, what "Swing Philosophy" fits their personality and style the best.

My Swing Philosophy: I believe the big muscles control the swing and the arms and hands are along for the ride. I favor "Jimmy Ballard's" philosophy on Connection.

My Putting Philosophy: I believe the the stroke naturally follows an arc and a golfer should strive to keep his hands, arms and shoulders level and parrallel to the putting path. I favor "Pat O'Brien's" philosophy on putting.

Additional Thoughts: I believe we are all students of the game and owe it to ourselves to learn and take what we can from the Professionals of the Past and Present. I do not believe each new golfer has to: "Recreate the Wheel/Swing".

If an Author's "Swing Philosophy" doesn't match mine, I take note and chalk it up to "Time Well Spent".

Last edited:
Wow, great job Grinder. So has the glove eliminated all cupping of your right wrist?

Additional Comments.

Sean Foley DVD: Foley's philosophy Is "Staying Centered". I like his Drill Section that focuses on "Clean Contact".

Jimmy Ballard Book: I love Ballards "Connection" theory, however, I have a hard time making the strong pivot that he professes. Note: Ballard does not teach a sway, but a strong pivot to the inside of the right leg.

Stockton's Book: Can be summed up: "Focus on Reading the Greens and Visualize where you want to Roll your Ball". Fine, however, I believe his entire book could have fit into a Small Golf Digest Article.

Perkins Rooster,

I worked with the "Swing Glove" for two months in the fall of last year. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when I first worked with it.

I believe I minimized my left wrist cup, since working with it. However, I keep it in my golf bag and probably need to practice with it once every week or so for 10 balls, to maintain my progress.

Additional Notes:

I suffered through a bad case of, "The Hosel Rockets"/ "Chili Peppers", during late spring and early summer. It was down right embarassing at times. Kept thinking of Lee Janzen for some reason. Only happened within 100 yards.

To this day, those shots often make me Nervous as a Floozie in Church.

I believe the culprit is: Failure to Perform a full "One Piece takeaway" resulting in: An Over the Top arm swing.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have made amazing progress. Thank you for your thoughts & bringing us along for the ride.

Swing Marketing and Labeling

I believe many of the well known instructors today go out of their way to label and market their philosophy. In an increasingly crowded instruction market, these strategies, obviously help them "Stand Out" and sell more books and videos.

Examples:

Jim Hardy- Markets his approach as: One Plane vs Two Plane.

Mike Bennett & Andy Plummer- Market their approach as: The Stack & Tilt.

Chuck Quinton- Labels his Method: The Rotary Swing.

Bobby Clampett- Labels his Method: The Impact Zone.

Some instructors go out of their way to deny teaching a method and say they work with what the student brings.

Thing Is:

Every instructor has a philosophy of how the swing should look and what they believe are the most important fundamentals.

I believe it is up to all of us to see through all of the "Marketing" and "Labeling" and learn from each of them.

It is not necessary to label ourselves: Rotary Swingers or Impact Zone Cronies.

When it comes down to it, only one Label fits us all.

We are Golfers

Last edited:
WOW! That is a collection of training aids. I have gone the opposite way as you and solf off all the training aids I had. Found an online instructor that I now exchange photos and videos with and have simplified my approach to everything. We work on finding the method that works best for me based on the choices I make. The choices are things like stance, posture, turn, sequencing, etc.

On the full swing, I have started to learn how to work the ball which has helped me understand my misses and increased my greens and fairways hit. With putting we started with seeing the line, posture, and how I swing the putter (left arm, right arm, both arms, shoulders) to build the right stroke and right putter.

The only training aids I use now are alignment rods and a dime. Alignment rods are for full swings to see how I am setting up and ensuring consistent ball position. The dime is for putting to ensure I am rolling the ball on the correct line for every stroke length.

I am now of the belief that training aids and golf tips are only useful if they are relevant to what you are trying to accomplish.

cnosil,

"I am now of the belief that training aids and golf tips are only useful if they are relevant to what you are trying to accomplish."

I have always felt this way!

I am disturbingly impressed with that list, Grinder.

cnosil,

"I am now of the belief that training aids and golf tips are only useful if they are relevant to what you are trying to accomplish."

I have always felt this way!

Hard part is determining if the fix/aid is really designed to fix the problem you have. This is the big reason I have worked so hard recently on understanding the swing and how to apply changes to do what I want to accomplish.

Do you ever get confused after using all those?

cnosil,

I really enjoy reading golf swing theories and philosophies. I learn something from nearly every book, however, I do not necessarily, incorporate their teachings into my swing.

Finding the "Root" cause of a swing flaw is sometimes tough to pinpoint. I totally agree.

Swing Aids are wonderful to me, because they provide feedback. Sometimes positive and sometimes negative. None of us can afford to have a swing coach watching us through every practice session.

Swing Aids are merely tools that I use to focus on targeted areas during the 99% of time that a professional golf instructor is not viewing my swings.

Scrap Iron,

NO. I target One or Two main areas every two to three months. My swing philosophy stays consistent.

My practice sessions consist of two main drills every time.

Truth is: I was a wrestler in high school and one year of college and we drilled everything into the ground. Drills come very natural to me.

Golf does not...

Last edited:
Back