Are you for or against the anchored putter?

Are you for or against the anchored putter?

• Total voters
I don't care.

You still have to read the greens, you still have to put the correct speed on it.

Just another innovation in golf.

Great way to put it. I have friends with 120+ dollar putters that are absolutely terrible.

I agree with Staples. I think its cheating and I think it will be banned very soon.

i agree i think its cheating especially for the Pros..... i hope they get banned on tour. i want guys to use skill to win tourneys not gain an advantage that other people choose not to use.

I agree with Staples. I think its cheating and I think it will be banned very soon.

I think they should have done it when they first started doing it (in the 1960s). At the very least, when it started getting popular in the 1990s. They will probably ban them which I don't agree with. They waited too long.

I tired a belly putter for about 6 months, and while I saw some very good rounds with it, they weren't any better than my best rounds with a conventional putter and overall, I liked the regular way better.

Not a fan of anchoring. I don't know what the statistics say, so I might be convinced otherwise.

My vote is against.If your not playing in USGA tournaments then you can use the belly or long

I'm honestly neither for nor against it. I'm not one of the people that get's riled up too much over things like that. If it helps somebody enjoy the game and play better, I could care less. However I see the argument against it too. So I just go along with the flow :act-up:

I went the impartial route. I am not one of those up in arms against it. I am also not singing its praises. I don't use one. Probably never will either. I have rolled a belly and a broomstick, and neither feel natural at all to me.

I really don't understand the furor over this.

If one really thinks it's an advantage, then learn how to use a long putter.

Maybe we should get rid of graphite and steel shafts, go back to gutta-percha balls and build a mound of sand to tee off on.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like sour grapes from people with big egos.

Personaly I think all golf equipment has gone too far. The heads the balls even the shaft's and I think the long putters minimize ones problematic area's of the golf game.

I'm not taking either side. What I don't get is those that argue they (long putters) are against the spirit of the game and the putting stroke. BS! Go back and watch the putting strokes of years ago, they look nothing like the strokes of today.

Regardless of whatever, this conversation should've taken place a long time ago.

--
Tapatalk2

I think Keegan Bradley's answer to this question at his press conference yesterday sums up my view. He said that at the end of the day, golf is supposed to be fun and if putting well makes that game more fun and anchoring a putter makes putting easier then the USGA and other governing bodies should be mindful of that.

I'm not taking either side. What I don't get is those that argue they (long putters) are against the spirit of the game and the putting stroke. BS! Go back and watch the putting strokes of years ago, they look nothing like the strokes of today.

Regardless of whatever, this conversation should've taken place a long time ago.

--
Tapatalk2

This! Without question. The whole "traditionalist" angle is so overplayed. We heard the same thing with just about every advance in equipment over the last 20 years.

The golf ball is the problem here. Not grooves. Not long putters. It's the ball.

If people want to play the traditional angle we should go back to persimmon drivers and rock golf balls, I for one would be screwed swinging those butter knives

I couldn't care less either way, I don't really see the advantage in them personally.

I have no issue with belly putters or broom style putters. If it was such a huge advantage I feel more would be using them. But as it is more are using traditional length putters. I hope they don't ban them.

Absolutely against it, think they look stupid, and definitely think it's a silly advantage.

That said, I have zero issues with people using them, while they are not illegal.

Against them mostly because they are anchored to the body.

Rules say no anchoring yet it's done. Why not just go ahead and refuse to follow the COR rule or 460ccs... Against it.

For those who use the "go back to persimmon" argument I say that the anchored putter is not an improvement in equipment - it is a fundamental change in how the club is used.

For those who want to make the game easier/more fun - make the hole bigger.

Ban anchoring.

They rolled back the grooves; they limited shaft length; they limited "COR"; they regulated "ball speed"; they limited the number of clubs; they eliminated the straddle putting; they eliminated concave clubheads: except for the straddle putting none of these changed how the clubs are used.

Ban anchoring.

Yes for amateurs, no for Pro's.

So what happens if the next Tiger or Jack is out playing right now at the age of 6 and is using a belly putter and uses one all through his amature day's now he is in a world of hurt trying to figure out how to use a 34 inch putter when he hits the PGA. The kid would be lost on an island. Amatures come in all ages and all different levels of potential.

I'm not against them if they aren't anchored. There's no length limits I'm aware of, if you can use a 17' putter have at it. Broomsticks aren't my thing, but if your back hurts or you think it works for you, go to it.
If anchoring's allowed, fine...allow the croquet stroke as well, we're good. I don't see that happening, so I'm against.

All the arguments with comparisons to the larger driver or hybrids or sand wedges are irrelevant. Those are golf "club" changes. If you want to use a 45" or 50" putter, be my guest. But you can't anchor it to your body other than through your hands like a conventional putter.

I don't really care too much, and I'm not really a 'traditionalist,' but I tend to lean against the anchored putter for professionals. But all that said...

This is a key point, and seems to be a point that many analysts on TV are not mentioning. In addition, as I heard one say, the driver and other club tech benefits EVERYONE equally to hit it longer, straighter, more awesomer, etc. The anchoring putter seems to really help a select few, particularly in the pressure-filled moments when nerves and jitters should be separating the best from the rest of the field.

As an aside, I got paired with a guy using one the other day. He was putting the lights out and was having fun. I'm ALL FOR THAT. But something he said struck me...he said he literally doesn't have to worry about making a stroke that starts the ball on line, so it "takes out one half of the equation" for putting. It's hard to really support that for professionals. Just my thoughts at this point in time.

Back