Quail Hollow Championship [spoilers]

Feherty is steadily becoming more of a farce. And not the way he intends.

He can't pry himself from assessing a Tiger shot completely different than if it were struck by any other player. Yesterday Tiger 3-putted #17, leaving his first putt more than 10 feet short. Feherty was amazed he made the comeback 3 footer for the 3-putt, gushing over it.

On #18, Tiger's approach from the middle of the fairway was obviously long. The only variable was how far over the green. Once again, that type of miscue was irrelevant to David Feherty. He emphasized that it was smack over the pin, perfect line and requiring voice emphasis.

I couldn't believe Feherty took it a step further. After Tiger botched the up and down and walked off the course with Augusta-like bogeys on #17 and #18, Feherty clung to the notion that Tiger should be thrilled his approach was smack on line. He asked Tiger if that didn't give him great comfort, or something like that. Tiger was wonderfully bewildered. He paused and seemingly was assessing if it was a serious comment, considering the deliverer. Finally Tiger summarized, "Yeah, but it took three more shots from there."

Earlier in the round, Feherty was wowed by Tiger's clubhead speed, saying it's considerably improved from his early appearances this season, that Tiger is finally getting his power back after swinging smoothly to start the year. Apparently we're supposed to ignore that Feherty at the time gushed that Tiger was, "swinging better than ever."

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy. He's far below his reputation right now and most of it is attached to a no-wrong attitude toward Tiger. Feherty is still himself when announcing other players.

In terms of those new NXT commercials, the gal is a babe but overall the spots are horrid. Scott Van Pelt is best at subtle delivery. They could have found any number of awesome finesse lines for him to deliver while the camera panned away and the audience was just beginning to grasp how funny it was. A golf version of Mac vs. PC but without 90% of the audience on the defensive.

Instead, the producers got scared and relied on the standard current sitcom-type garbage, a forced visual attempt at humor that is designed to be over the top but stops well short of that. No muscles and no laughs. I always wonder how a spot like that can make it through so many check points without being vetoed.

Feherty is steadily becoming more of a farce. And not the way he intends.

He can't pry himself from assessing a Tiger shot completely different than if it were struck by any other player. Yesterday Tiger 3-putted #17, leaving his first putt more than 10 feet short. Feherty was amazed he made the comeback 3 footer for the 3-putt, gushing over it.

On #18, Tiger's approach from the middle of the fairway was obviously long. The only variable was how far over the green. Once again, that type of miscue was irrelevant to David Feherty. He emphasized that it was smack over the pin, perfect line and requiring voice emphasis.

I couldn't believe Feherty took it a step further. After Tiger botched the up and down and walked off the course with Augusta-like bogeys on #17 and #18, Feherty clung to the notion that Tiger should be thrilled his approach was smack on line. He asked Tiger if that didn't give him great comfort, or something like that. Tiger was wonderfully bewildered. He paused and seemingly was assessing if it was a serious comment, considering the deliverer. Finally Tiger summarized, "Yeah, but it took three more shots from there."

Earlier in the round, Feherty was wowed by Tiger's clubhead speed, saying it's considerably improved from his early appearances this season, that Tiger is finally getting his power back after swinging smoothly to start the year. Apparently we're supposed to ignore that Feherty at the time gushed that Tiger was, "swinging better than ever."

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy. He's far below his reputation right now and most of it is attached to a no-wrong attitude toward Tiger. Feherty is still himself when announcing other players.
I agree. That 3-foot putt you talked where McCord asked him, "make or miss" and Feherty said, "most players would miss it, but I think Tiger makes it" made me laugh. Granted, Tiger made it, but thats beside the point...

In terms of those new NXT commercials, the gal is a babe but overall the spots are horrid. Scott Van Pelt is best at subtle delivery. They could have found any number of awesome finesse lines for him to deliver while the camera panned away and the audience was just beginning to grasp how funny it was. A golf version of Mac vs. PC but without 90% of the audience on the defensive.

Instead, the producers got scared and relied on the standard current sitcom-type garbage, a forced visual attempt at humor that is designed to be over the top but stops well short of that. No muscles and no laughs. I always wonder how a spot like that can make it through so many check points without being vetoed.
I agree, shes hot but the commerical are terrible. They dont even say anything about the NXT, they just talk about the groove ruling and taking the teeth out of his flop shot.
Funny thing is, I dont find a flop shot to be a high-spin shot anyways. What makes the ball land dead isnt the spin, its the trajectory...:confused2:

Hate the NXT commercials, but love half the casting. Honestly haven't watched the Quail coverage at all; will try today, but not up to me. (Same reason I'm typing with one hand -- oh I should clarify, I've got a baby bottle in the other.

Zach Johnson just shanked his tee shot on 2.

OMG! And now he hit a lone tree and the ball rebounded backwards!

This is like me playing golf!

EDIT: And then 3-putts for a triple-bogey 6 on the par 3 2nd hole!

Ouch! I think I played that same hole yesterday.

Edit: and now a bogie 5! Come on ZJ pull it together!

And Poulter out of nowhere!

EDIT: And Bubba Watson needs a haircut.

EDIT #2: Zach Johnson in the hazard.

Poulter is lighting it up today. -4 on the day I believe.

Poulter is lighting it up today. -4 on the day I believe.

Just bogied 14 though. :(

Zach Johnson just fatted his approach shot. I wonder if maybe he's not feeling well?

Glad to see O'Hair win.

I have to admit, I'm no Tiger fan (because it's too easy, like routing for the Yankees) ... but he showed a lot of class going up and congratulating O'Hair and joking around with O'Hair's daughter. +1 to Tiger

Glad to see O'Hair win.

I have to admit, I'm no Tiger fan (because it's too easy, like routing for the Yankees) ... but he showed a lot of class going up and congratulating O'Hair and joking around with O'Hair's daughter. +1 to Tiger

That's great to see him do that. I'm sure he owed him one after stealing away the Bay Hill :D. I loved when Feherty called him a loser.

Congrats to O'Hair.

Love Poulter's outfit today, esp. the shirt.

Me too WSE. Good tourny and it all leads up to a great tourny next week.

That's great to see him do that. I'm sure he owed him one after stealing away the Bay Hill :D. I loved when Feherty called him a loser.

Congrats to O'Hair.

I wonder just how much trouble Feherty is going to get into for that little piece of journalistic flair.

Bah...:confused2: Theres nothing wrong with men having long hair.

So they can have long hair, just cannot wear pastels. I see, thank you Mr. Blackwell. :confused2:

One more picture:

golfballinlap.jpg

What was the ruling? She looks as though she's afraid he'll have to play it as it lies.

What was the ruling? She looks as though she's afraid he'll have to play it as it lies.

I was wondering the same thing. What is the rulling on that? Who grabs the ball off her lap or do they have her stand up and let it fall and then take the shot from where it lands? Maybe she's embarrassed because she thinks he's cute and her mom told him that as she (the mother) was getting out of the way.

I was wondering the same thing. What is the rulling on that? Who grabs the ball off her lap or do they have her stand up and let it fall and then take the shot from where it lands? Maybe she's embarrassed because she thinks he's cute and her mom told him that as she (the mother) was getting out of the way.

Close--I went and Googled it (our resident encyclopedia not being on at the moment):

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Jason Dufner’s opening tee shot at Quail Hollow Championship Saturday sailed left and into the crowd, landing in the lap of 18-year-old Miranda Cooper of nearby Shelby, N.C.
By the time Dufner reached the scene, all the fans had shuffled out of the immediate area except Cooper, who was still sitting in her folding chair, ball in her lap and her hands covering her face in embarrassment.

Enlarge this image
AP Photo/Chuck Burton
Miranda Cooper recoils in embarrassment.

“You’ve got to play it where it lays,” PGA Tour rules official Tony Wallin jokingly told Dufner.
Wallin then put a marker under Cooper’s chair. She got up and Dufner got to drop the ball in that spot without penalty.
He reached the green, then three putted for bogey.
Dufner recovered to shoot 71 and was at 7-under.

In the photo, she looks a lot younger than 18.

Close--I went and Googled it (our resident encyclopedia not being on at the moment):

In the photo, she looks a lot younger than 18.

Thanks "mom". I'll agree she looks younger than 18. I think she looks about 14 maybe a little younger even. All the more reason not to take a chair to sit in. Things like this don't happen if you are standing up.

It was even more hilarious watching it on TV.

Back