2014 - Gay Games 9, Cleveland Ohio

spazzdog

Reaction score
Handicap
Lots
It's early, I know... I just posted this up on my Facebook and thought I'd toss it out here.

Golf has become a passion... My improvement is slow, but there, much to my delight. My dreamy thoughts turn to 2014 Gay Games 9 (see Gay Games FB page for info). I competed in '90 (Vancouver) and '94 (NYC) both times in Track & Field. The old bones can't do that anymore, but the Games in 2014 (Cleveland) will include golf (Stableford rules). Now, I just need a team. For those "straight but gay-friendly" golfers, the Games are inclusive and a hell of a lot of fun! Any THP brothers want to help me represent?

All sport events are sanctioned by the associated governing body. There are no "trials". You pay your entry fee and you play, regardless of skill. Not sure about golf, but in the other sports in the past, division was by age group. I'll post more info as I get it.

Sounds like a great event. If I was in the area, I would join for sure.

If they ever have the games in Denver and you compete I'm your huckleberry

It's an international event, lasts about 10 days, multiple sports. Not sure of golf dates yet.

If memory serves, in '94 NYC, there were over 3500 athletes from more than 100 countries. Current and former Olympians came and either competed or gave exhibitions.

The Games have grown over the years and goes to a different place very 4 years, 2010 was in Cologne Germany, and before that Sydney Australia.

It's an international event, lasts about 10 days, multiple sports. Not sure of golf dates yet.

If memory serves, in '94 NYC, there were over 3500 athletes from more than 100 countries. Current and former Olympians came and either competed or gave exhibitions.

The Games have grown over the years and goes to a different place very 4 years, 2010 was in Cologne Germany, and before that Sydney Australia.

Wish they would come to Denver. My daughter is gay and it would be a great bargaining chip to get her to play more often with me to "Practice"

If she's 18 ( I think that's the requirement) or will be in 2014, you go and also send her to this site:

http://www.gg9cle.com/

It will keep all apprised of everything games related. Also, a "team" doesn't have to be folks that live in the same place, much like the Morgan Cup.

If you get more info please post. This would be something I would take part in. I really can't speak up and say where I will be in 2014 but I would def be interested.

The past games are as follows:

The Gay Games are held every four years and are held in the bidding city that wins the complex and exhaustive site selection process.

• Gay Games I, Challenge ‘82, was held in San Francisco, California USA
• Gay Games II, Triumph ‘86, was also held in San Francisco, California USA
• Gay Games III, Celebration ‘90, was held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canaada
• Gay Games IV, Unity ’94, was held in New York, New York USA
• Gay Games V, Friendship ’98, was held in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Gay Games VI, Under New Skies, was held in 2002 in Sydney, New South Wales Australia
• Gay Games VII, Where the World Meets, was held in Chicago, Illinois USA in 2006
• Gay Games VIII, Be Part of It, was held in Cologne, Germany in 2010
• Gay Games IX will be held in Cleveland-Akron, Ohio USA in 2014

For more info on the history go to www.gaygames.com

I have to admit, I lol'ed when I saw the Gay Games title, but it sounds like a great event! If I were in the area, I would definitely be part of it, but I'm stuck down here.

this sounds like it would be a blast! wish I could make it.

Yeah, lots of folks LOL at it at first... Heck, I did back in the day before I actually entered. Then in mid '89, living in NYC many in my run club were talking about it, then I heard it from other sports. I'd already been road running for a while, so started training for Track events (5K & 10K). I entered, made my travel plans for Vancouver.

At the Opening Ceremonies (yep, just like the Olympics) it really hit me how big this was. The majority of the city of Vancouver came and filled the stadium. It was pretty overwhelming, in a good way.

Throughout the week, traveling to venues, we'd run into families clutching event programs, always asking how we were doing in our events. Traded team pins with these adorable little old ladies who were on their way to watch wrestling and bubbling about the upcoming body building completion they'd scored tickets to.

It was and is one of the best weeks in sport I've ever had... And no, I didn't medal. I instead was hit by a flying body on the track in the 5K which dislocated my knee. I knocked it back in, wore a bag of ice for 2 days and ran my 10K (slowly).

I'll write about NYC in '94 later... Gotta go for now..

this sounds like it would be a blast! wish I could make it.

We can carpool and save money on gas..

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

We can carpool and save money on gas..

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
That would be fun, I don tthink the wife would approve another golf trip though

Its not just a golf trip, you need to spin it that you are doing your part for a humanitarian cause!

Yeah, she would probably get pissed about the golf.

Never heard of this before. Hope you can get a team for it. Now all I can think about is this:

Well, it is 2 yrs out...

Never heard of this before. Hope you can get a team for it. Now all I can think about is this:

And I'm sure it made you giggle... However, at least he learned to throw it and competed.

And I'm sure it made you giggle... However, at least he learned to throw it and competed.

I apologize if that offended you. I'm the type of person that thinks everything is funny, including stereotypes. As long as there is no malice involved, everything is fair game to poke fun of in my book. To me it's no different than people kidding Chunky about being vertically challenged or Cookie having an awkward swing.

I apologize if that offended you. I'm the type of person that thinks everything is funny, including stereotypes. As long as there is no malice involved, everything is fair game to poke fun of in my book. To me it's no different than people kidding Chunky about being vertically challenged or Cookie having an awkward swing.

Who you calling short?!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Who you calling short?!

I think David Kelly called you out with the Midget putter on his knees. IN THE HOLE

I think David Kelly called you out with the Midget putter on his knees. IN THE HOLE

I turned on the PGA Championship coverage today and though I was Chunky hitting driver on the range.... but it turned out to be Web Simpson hitting them from his knees. Thought he looked to tall to be Chunky.

Being called short by a short albino was the last straw

Not offended... Just a reminder that no matter ones skill level, a personal best is still a personal best.

Awesome thread Spazz. I love this idea. Please keep us informed!

Back