Mulligan9111

Go Skers!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Time
So I recently put my Taylormade R7 425TP back in the bag after playing my Nike VR Pro for most of the year. This sparked an interesting conversation between myself and my usual playing group.

My reasoning for going back was that quite simply I'm more consistent with the R7. It has a smaller head than the Nike, and it just suits my eye a little better. Now the Nike is definitely more forgiving on off-center hits, there is no doubt about that, but I seem to just make more consistent contact with the smaller head of the R7.

One of my buddies, who is an admitted club junky, insists that I should continue playing the Nike because it has better/updated technology and is more forgiving. He thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go back to a club that is 5+ years old. He insists that I will become just as consistent with the Nike as I am with the R7.

So my question for all of you. Would you play a club that you were a little less consistent with, but it's more forgiving and maybe a couple yards longer and is newer? Or would you play with a club that you are more comfortable with and more consistent with?

My 12* G10 is in my bag. My 9.5* G20 is on the sidelines. My current thinking is comfort, confidence and consistency > forgiving, newer and longer

That could be a fitting problem. The 12* G20 is probably what you shouldve bought to make an accurate comparison...
My 12* G10 is in my bag. My 9.5* G20 is on the sidelines. My current thinking is comfort, confidence and consistency > forgiving, newer and longer

I think whatever your more consistent with should be bagged dude!

So my question for all of you. Would you play a club that you were a little less consistent with, but it's more forgiving and maybe a couple yards longer and is newer? Or would you play with a club that you are more comfortable with and more consistent with?

The one I'm comfortable and consistent with. I can eventually get used to another club, but if it doesn't perform better why use it? Doesn't mean you don't keep an eye out for possible replacements and try various new clubs, but until that new stuff works better...can't see why anyone would change.

As others have said, go with what feels and performs better and gives you the best chance for a good score. I've been struggling with the driver lately, so I'm actually going to bring my old R7 Limited to the range this week and see if I can get my groove back. So who knows, it may supplant my new driver(s)!

Plenty of tour pro's continue playing their old gamers long after the newer/ more updated technology clubs are available.

I would tell your friend to mind his own business.

As others have said, go with what feels and performs better and gives you the best chance for a good score. I've been struggling with the driver lately, so I'm actually going to bring my old R7 Limited to the range this week and see if I can get my groove back. So who knows, it may supplant my new driver(s)!

Like the OP, I still have an R7 425TP and like you, I also have an R7 Limited TP.

Both have worked well for me so there's no desire to move them as I'll go back from time to time. The 425 is accurate but being that it was built to 44" and not as forgiving, some shots come up very short.

Meanwhile, the Limited TP w/stock TM "Whiteboard" x-flex shaft and with its outdated tech is still the longest club I've ever hit.

Definitely whatever is more consistent. 5 yards shorter is better than 50 yards off line.

~Rock

I would tell your friend to mind his own business.

Well I don't mind him sharing his opinion as he's a very well informed person on golf equipment. In the end he knows that I'm going to play what I want to play, and it brought up a good conversation I thought.

I know that there are a lot of equipment junkies on THP (I'm one of them, I like to tinker with newer clubs to see if they would be better for me) and was curious to see if there was anybody who would rather play the newer updated technology over something they are more comfortable and consistent with.

lol. Sorry, that probably sounded harsher than I meant it to.

I think new equipment is fun, but can be overrated. If you have something that works I would stick with it.

I just recently went through the same issue... for the last 3 years I was playing a Nike Sumo2 5900, I hit it well, but knew I was losing distance because of the older technology. So about 5 months ago I bought a Burner 2.0 TP because all my misses were hooks, figured the more open face & toe weight would staighten me out. Well, it didn't!!!! I was all over the courses, No consistency at all. All my golf buddies kept telling me to switch back to the Nike, but I was determined to figure out the Burner. Well last week I gave in and switch back to the Nike. It's not as long as the Burner, but all I can say is that it's nice to be back in the fairway!!! So yeah, whatever works for you is the right choice.:act-up:

honestly golf is a personal game and what works for me may not work for you or your friend. If you feel more comfortable with the r7 then play it! I have one in the garage that I walkways contemplate taking out again. This is one thing that I love about the R11 it had a smaller "traditional" shape when compared to the superfast I had and even though it's less forgiving in my opinion I just love the way it looks at address-doesn't mean I can play as good as I could with it haha

Just play whichever one you feel is best for you. Look at IHWT he still plays an r5 I think and says he hasn't found a new driver that could knock it out yet

i gotta say, i've been debating this via trial and error as well as mental frustration. I have a TM R7 SuperQuad TP that i just, i can't get rid of. the thing hits fairways and is still very long for me. however, i've tried the RBZ Tour, the Classic, and now the Callaway RAZR Fit to see if they'll knock it out of the bag. I have 3 drivers now...i rank them in order of 3 things, Trust/confidence: Superquad, Razr, Classic;;;;;Length/distance: Razr, Superquad, Classic;;;;;Overall 'liking' of the club: Classic, Razr, Superquad

if it works, keep it if not in the bag, in a garage/closet somewhere...never know when the honeymoon with the new stuff will/could wear off....

Please keep in mind that I'm not asking what I should do, as I've already chose what I want to do.

I was just curious if there was anybody who would choose the newer technology even if they weren't as comfortable or consistent with it.

i gotta say, i've been debating this via trial and error as well as mental frustration. I have a TM R7 SuperQuad TP that i just, i can't get rid of. the thing hits fairways and is still very long for me. however, i've tried the RBZ Tour, the Classic, and now the Callaway RAZR Fit to see if they'll knock it out of the bag. I have 3 drivers now...i rank them in order of 3 things, Trust/confidence: Superquad, Razr, Classic;;;;;Length/distance: Razr, Superquad, Classic;;;;;Overall 'liking' of the club: Classic, Razr, Superquad

if it works, keep it if not in the bag, in a garage/closet somewhere...never know when the honeymoon with the new stuff will/could wear off....
I am debating on replacing my R7 Superquad also . But the thing is an automatic good shot 95% of the time , I love that club. Although i am wanting to upgrade to a newer driver R11 or Titelist 910 but ol' faithfull keeps me swinging it.

Please keep in mind that I'm not asking what I should do, as I've already chose what I want to do.

I was just curious if there was anybody who would choose the newer technology even if they weren't as comfortable or consistent with it.

I would always choose the newer technology, but that's just me!

I would take the forgiveness over the familiarity and feeling of consistency.

I am in a bit of the same boat and I've decided to stick with "old reliable".

You've got to go with consistent results. New doesn't mean better for different individuals. I also think being mentality comfortable with your clubs is as important as anything.

To me it's all confidence. If it's in the old club keep it.

if you can join PGA playing old old clubs, that's the club you should play...just because it is new, doesn't mean it will fit your game automatically.

I'd go with the new one too. I bought an RBZ this year after 8 years with a burner 420. I started out spraying it everywhere, but once I learned to hit properly I benefited from the new technology.

Back